Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

FailFish, I failed at that :D

Blaming work PC for screwing up Smogon pages, Kappa :P

Otherwise, wouldn't simply checking all gen 2 TM learnset on actually relevant competitive pokemon be enough for that? Gen 2 still did not really have a *huge* amount of things that stayed relevant in current gens due to the power creep.

What I am curious about is the unique Pokeball's that you get in game. I wonder if they will transfer.

Poke Ball type is not part of the data structure in these games, so everything that goes through Bank will get placed in a regular Poke Ball. There are bytes reserved for met location and level, but G/S didn't actually populate those fields when you caught something; only Crystal did.

Even then, the "met level" field was incapable of holding levels higher than 63 (because they wanted to cram "met time of day" into the same byte as well, an ill-fated decision that wouldn't persist into future games), which is probably a big reason why Crystal also had you encounter Lugia/Ho-oh at level 60 instead of 70.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poke Ball type is not part of the data structure in these games, so everything that goes through Bank will get placed in a regular Poke Ball. There are bytes reserved for met location and level, but G/S didn't actually populate those fields when you caught something; only Crystal did.

Even then, the "met level" field was incapable of holding levels higher than 63 (because they wanted to cram "met time of day" into the same byte as well, an ill-fated decision that wouldn't persist into future games), which is probably a big reason why Crystal also had you encounter Lugia/Ho-oh at level 60 instead of 70.
By met level field, do you mean the whole thing including location, or just the level part? I'm curious because I might try to ram a Lugia and a Ho-Oh through to silver early via RBY time capsule glitches (I'll explain it if my idea actually works lol), and now I'm curious if Pokebank might say "oh this Lugia is from kanto", because that would be hilariously weird ( and also probably illegal lol)

If you trade something from Crystal to Silver and back, it keeps the met data, but if you trade by time capsule back to RBY, the data is lost even if you trade it back up, and replaced with blank bytes as part of the readjustment from 44 bytes to 48. Other than initialized met data being a signature of Crystal, there's no field in the old structure to signify which game something was caught in, and if you time capsule something from RBY to GS and then put it in the Bank, it'll undoubtedly just assume that the game you're banking from is the origin game, and slap a field on that says it came from Johto in the good old days, as opposed to Kanto. (The same is true for existing HGSS transfers like a route 7 Houndour, even though route 7 is obviously part of Kanto to begin with).

Oh one more thing: Does anyone have a list of exclusive egg moves and TMs for Pokemon in GS besides the usual Curse and Zap Cannon stuff? I ask because I heard there's some strange quirks such as Nidoking learning the elemental punches in this game, and I'm very liable to miss stuff in the bigger lists out there lol.
The coveted Razor Wind Bulbasaur, only available by teaching a Kabutops Razor Wind in gen 1, transferring it to gen 2, breeding that with a totodile (equally coveted!!) then breeding that to Bulbasaur.

I was going to say water gun phanpy but turns out that was crystal exclusive.

I'm looking forward to Electrium Z Espeon with Zap Cannon. Major note: This is the first time where the legendary beasts have been avalible with their HA! Too bad its inner focus. I will be sad over the general downgrade from HG and SS, tough. I'm sad that they didn't make celebi shiny, or avalible in the original games for the Pokedex. And really Gamefreak, when will you release shiny Celebi?

Just got the game. Time to try the cloning glitch and pick all three starters.

Has anyone seen any confirmation yet that this can actually be done on 3DS?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Games are unlocked in Europe \o/

Attempting to get female Chikorita for Leech Seed shenanigans later on.

Our datamining buddy SciresM thinks Crystal on VC might actually happen.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/21/pokemon-crystal-virtual-console/
Not surprising at all

I guarantee the only reason Crystal wasn't included with GS in the same way all 3/4 gen 1 games were is because while Yellow looks a bit nicer & has the starters, but is basically just gen 1 but a little different, rather than things like:
-more egg moves
-the fairly extensive battle tower
-a total overhaul of the phone system, giving everyone personalities and allowing you to get items and such
-an expansion on the ruins of alph
-a female player option

Crystal is explicitly the best version to play during gen 2.

If Switch ever gets GBA VC (in like 5 years at this rate tbh) I fully expect them to do the same thing with gen 3: RS on their own, Emerald months later (maybe longer).

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there ACE to raise a Pokemon to level 99 (not 100)? It would be the fastest way of manipulating good Pokemon to send to gen 7.
I'm not sure, but I believe there is one to get infinite Rare Candies. If you don't find it, I'll look for it after I set up this complicated shit with 8f in Red (I'm trying to experiment with some johto guard stuff when the games come to the states lol)

However, note that Poketransporter won't be compatible with Pokemon Gold and Silver until sometime this Winter, so you'll have to take a rain check on that Curse Mega Scizor!
Do we have a source for this? Searched around and there was no information. Only thing I found was this

Attachments

It seems like the Thundershock one was done to reduce the risk of triggering an epileptic seizure. It actually makes a ton of sense. The Splash one is a mystery though.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
In the original versions, the HP bar of the attacking Pokemon actually disappeared during an attack animation, but for some reason it doesn't in this version and instead "mimics" the Pokemon's movements in response to any animations that occur.

I'd be interested to see what happens during Sky Attack...

They might have wanted to update the HP bars to stay on screen during attacks and had some slip through the cracks

Alternatively editing the game for things like the epilepsy prevention and so on might have mucked something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)