SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious how Game Freak is going to justify the Tapus being catchable in future generations.

In the past there have been Legendaries that have had loose connections to their regions; for instance, Lugia and Ho-oh being tied to the Brass and Tin Towers of Johto. The Tapus, though, are overwhelmingly associated with Alola, with each one being the designated guardian of an island. There is no reason for them to leave the islands unless in the company of a Trainer, in which case they wouldn't be catchable anyway.

It's a fairly safe assumption that we will eventually have future generations set in different regions, and that GF will want to make old Legendaries available (see: ORAS). I wonder what the in-universe explanation will be for the Guardian Deities of Alola randomly appearing in some other region?
Hoopa wormholes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some tidbits according to the description of the official guide book:

1. The areas of the game remain the same: 4 main islands and Aether Paradise
2. Poke Refresh returns
3. Poke Pelago returns
4. Festival Plaza returns
5. Poke Finder returns
6. Battle Royale and Battle Tree return
7. QR Scan returns

This guide book will be released on December 6th, and comes with a serial code for two Master Balls. It also mentions that it'll detail how to "get the newest moves, abilities, and items", though obviously that sounds a little odd. Have they ever introduced new moves and abilities mid-gen?
None of this is a surprise, but might as well say what I'd like to see from these returning features:

1. Just because the main region map didn't change doesn't mean they can't have secret islands. Would be a cool thing to let us access with Mantine Surf (that or secret locations around the islands like secluded beaches and/or caves). Granted these locations might not have much depth to them, but would be nice places to hide pieces or lore, rare items, and maybe a special Pokemon (Legendaries, Hidden Ability Pokemon).

2. Hmm, well I don't think them making it any less broken is going to happen. How about this, letting us groom and play with our Mega Pokemon or any other form that's not normally accessible outside of battle. Would create some neat animations. Also, maybe have the bean color be a factor when feeding a Pokemon, having different colors is kind of pointless as of right now.

3. Can you make it so we can do more stuff with the Poke Beans? Like how about each island having unique things we can buy instead of just dumping a ton of Beans in a crate for them to eat. Isle Abeens can have type lures which attract Pokemon of a certain type, Isle Aplenny can have different kind of mulches to make berries grow faster/produce more berries/mutate/etc., Isle Aphun can have certain exploration equipment which has the Pokemon more likely to find a certain kind of item, Isle Evelup can have advanced/mixed drink blends, and Isle Avue can have bath oils which can affect other traits like Affection (or when high Affection bonuses will activate) or what Nature an Egg will mostly likely have.

4. The only way to have improved that was to replace it with the PSS. Well let's work with what we are forced upon got. First, actually, why not implement the PSS? Would it really change the bottom screen that much? Maybe even let us actively switch out trainers in our Plaza with ones currently on the PSS list. This would also bring back O-Powers. Also have it when we click on a trainer's icon it lists what clothes they're wearing and what facilities they're offering, also noting whether you have it or not (would is also be too much to ask to let us search for specific clothing and Facilities?).
Second, how about we bring some mechanics of the better done Join Avenue in. Instead of a facility already having a rank, how about just letting us level it up upon frequent visits to it? In place of Sophocles offering a certain level facility, have it so he can either offer a new facility or rarely offer to instantly level up an existing facility.
Third, let us explore other people's Festival Plaza. What's the point of choosing our castle, music theme, and naming it if no one else is going to see it?
Fourth, put better items in the shops (for starters, Apricorn Poke Balls in the Ball Shop!)
I'm sure there's more that can be done, but these basic ones would make Festival Plaza may be worth it.

5. A simple one, how about each route/area you can catch a wild Pokemon having a Pokemon unique to it. Probably have to cut down on having every day of the week having a different Pokemon, but they could still do a night and day difference and maybe even have some version exclusives. Heck, they could have native found Pokemon but they have their Hidden Abilities.

6. A mode in Battle Royal where it's last Pokemon standing being the winner would be nice. Probably play more of it if that was an option.
Battle Tree, I don't know, adding back Triple and Rotation Battles? Maybe also Inverse Battles. While we're at it, why not also Little Cup and Rental Pokemon. Oh, and of course adding in more well known NPCs from past games.

7. For the QR Scanner itself, why not make it into a DexNav of sorts? You scan a certain Pokemon's QR code, it'll look for that Pokemon, and if its around it has an increased chance having something special about it like better IVs, an Egg Move, Hidden Ability, and/or even Shiny.
As for Island Scan, how about each route/area you can catch a wild Pokemon having a Pokemon unique to it. Probably have to cut down on having every day of the week having a different Pokemon, but they could still do a night and day difference and maybe even have some version exclusives. Heck, they could have native found Pokemon but they have their Hidden Abilities.

2 Master Balls? Hm, not bad, though they'll probably just be used on the Island Guardians unless you REALLY want Tapu Fini in that one Lure Ball you get.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious how Game Freak is going to justify the Tapus being catchable in future generations.

Hoopa wormholes.
Or even without it, if a Gen IV remake would ever happen you have Pokemon that manipulate space, time and antimatter. As easy as handwaving that some Pokemon got accidentally teleported to Sinnoh during the whole Team Galactic fiasco...

Reactions: Mq

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.

In the past there have been Legendaries that have had loose connections to their regions; for instance, Lugia and Ho-oh being tied to the Brass and Tin Towers of Johto. The Tapus, though, are overwhelmingly associated with Alola, with each one being the designated guardian of an island. There is no reason for them to leave the islands unless in the company of a Trainer, in which case they wouldn't be catchable anyway.

It's a fairly safe assumption that we will eventually have future generations set in different regions, and that GF will want to make old Legendaries available (see: ORAS). I wonder what the in-universe explanation will be for the Guardian Deities of Alola randomly appearing in some other region?
It's likely that they'll either use an item, find a really stupid excuse like wormholes to get them in or come up with an actually good legend. I doubt they'll be available next generation - ORAS only had them all because they weren't planning on commercializing Pokémon Bank half as heavily as they do now and it was getting harder to transfer everything over. The generation afterwards, either Pokébank will be integrated to the point where they just won't put in old legendaries or they'll come up with some lore for it.
The real question is when are they going to distribute those awesome Terrain abilities.
shudders as the realization that chimecho might get it and we'll have another 95 terrain/weather specs abuser crawl into the meta creeps into mind

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be honest I'm more interested in knowing how they would plan to introduce Z crystals in future gens, rather than the Tapus themselves.
This. In addition to some 50 Mega stones; items/locations/move tutors for form changes for Deoxys, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Rotom, Giratina, Shaymin, Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Furfrou, Zygarde, and Hoopa; the 16 Arceus plates and 17 Silvally Memories; plus a way to obtain differently-coloured Flabébé, Oricorio, Vivillon, and Deerling, it's starting to be pretty crowded when you add some 40-odd Z-Crystals. And this is generously assuming that certain formes (Basculin, Shellos, etc.) could be version exclusive and others (Cosplay Pikachu, Ash-Greninja, Cap Pikachu, etc.) will remain exclusive to one generation.

Let's face it, the Pokémon games are beginning to develop a lot of baggage from nifty mechanics and new forms that just have to be piled onto every new game in the series to maintain it all. I'm genuinely curious as to when the breaking point will come.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This. In addition to some 50 Mega stones; items/locations/move tutors for form changes for Deoxys, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Rotom, Giratina, Shaymin, Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Furfrou, Zygarde, and Hoopa; the 16 Arceus plates and 17 Silvally Memories; plus a way to obtain differently-coloured Flabébé, Oricorio, Vivillon, and Deerling, it's starting to be pretty crowded when you add some 40-odd Z-Crystals. And this is generously assuming that certain formes (Basculin, Shellos, etc.) could be version exclusive and others (Cosplay Pikachu, Ash-Greninja, Cap Pikachu, etc.) will remain exclusive to one generation.

Let's face it, the Pokémon games are beginning to develop a lot of baggage from nifty mechanics and new forms that just have to be piled onto every new game in the series to maintain it all. I'm genuinely curious as to when the breaking point will come.
It has come to a point where they're just shoving most of this baggage in one location, usually a mall. They do sometimes find unique places for these features... but one has to wonder if they have a list of things they need to remember to include just to remember to include them. Also they need to give a reason for the player to even be given the items, many being rare artifacts.

Also let's not forget all the gimmicky evolutions.

As obscene as this stuff is getting a lot of it is ironed out already
Mega Stones can be shoved into battle facilities. Gladion literally hands you 17 memories and I'm guessing it's trivial to just place an Aether agent somehwere. Vivillon is based on your actual region so that's not relevant. They're already starting to consolodate some legendary tutors and items.

Soul Dew: Southern Island (event) -> PBR -> Enigma Stone event -> Dreamyard -> Southern Island (event)-> Aether Agent
Red/Blue Orbs: Plot/their shrine -> Antique shop
Deoxys: 4 separate meteors strewn across a town -> a set of meteors on a shelf (XY, ORAS, SM)
Rotom: A secret room with 5 unique overworld appliances -> a literal box in a janitor's closet -> just a box...sort of sitting around somewhere
Giratina: Distortion World -> Arceus event -> Shadow Triad -> Dragonspiral Tower -> Terminus Cave -> a hidden item on route 130 (wait WHAT?) -> an antique shop. The other 2 orbs are usually in similar areas as a set.
Shaymin: Remarkably consistent because it's so easy. You get it from a flower shop girl in all generations except 7, where yoy get it from an apparel store
Arceus: 16 plates scattered around a region -> 16 plates in an underwater maze -> 17 plates scattered around a region -> scattered around and also an Antique shop
The Kami: Reveal Glass at Landorus' shrine -> A scientist in reflecting cave -> a mirror shop -> Antique shop
Kyurem: The Gene Splicers passed down, hidden generation to generation -> some random punk girl in a random town -> kyurem's hoopa ara -> an aether agent
Genesect: Plasma scientist -> A hiker (????) -> a street thug (?!) -> Colress
Hoopa: Event clerk -> Aether Agent

Keldeo & Meloetta had separate tutors (the trio events for hte former, a musician for hte latter), now they share a tutor and its given to random people. Rayquaza's move is now just taught by a random woman at poni island instead of a noted draconian npc.

As you can see most items are being shoved into antique shops, and there's usually some mall where they can have the others placed if needed.

Also, a fun fact: you cannot get the other deerling forms without transferring/breeding from gen 5. Spring Form Deerling are the only ones you can find in the wild in gen 6.

Just as an aside, I think it’s curious that Gamefreak decided to highlight Mareep & Larvitar in the latest promo video considering both are easily available through Gold & Silver now. It’s likely Gamefreak just making mega evolutions more available, but if any Johto Pokémon are given Alolan forms I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s those two.

Just as an aside, I think it’s curious that Gamefreak decided to highlight Mareep & Larvitar in the latest promo video considering both are easily available through Gold & Silver now. It’s likely Gamefreak just making mega evolutions more available, but if any Johto Pokémon are given Alolan forms I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s those two.
This seembs highly unlikely because it would make no sense to show the base form in the trailer to then have an Alolan form later revealed.
Plus, it seems evident that they do not want to give Alolan Forms to pokemon that already have a Mega Evolution, since it would also create significant problems with "If the Alolan Pokemon uses the megastone, does it have an Alolan Mega Form?".

I definitely could see several gen 2 Pokemon getting new Alolan forms since gen 1 to 3 feature most of the "bad/mediocre" Pokemon that have no saving grace other than either buffing their stats + giving them strong abilities, or flat out make a new form for them, but I am confidently sure Pokemon that have a Mega Form are not going to be getting an Alolan version.

This seembs highly unlikely because it would make no sense to show the base form in the trailer to then have an Alolan form later revealed.
Plus, it seems evident that they do not want to give Alolan Forms to pokemon that already have a Mega Evolution, since it would also create significant problems with "If the Alolan Pokemon uses the megastone, does it have an Alolan Mega Form?".

I definitely could see several gen 2 Pokemon getting new Alolan forms since gen 1 to 3 feature most of the "bad/mediocre" Pokemon that have no saving grace other than either buffing their stats + giving them strong abilities, or flat out make a new form for them, but I am confidently sure Pokemon that have a Mega Form are not going to be getting an Alolan version.
It could be a similar situation to many of the current Alola Pokemon where the base form is regular and evolves into the Alola form. All 'normal' variations could also be caught in the then recently released RBY VC games since they were only Kanto Pokemon. Using that as a precedent, it is possible Mareep and Larvitar evolve Alolan Ampharos and Alolan Tyranitar. Hopefully if there are new Alolan forms, some will be revealed shortly. I wouldn't put it above GF to give Alolan forms to popular instead of in addition to more deserving Pokemon.

Just for the sake of it, here are a list of catchable Johto Pokemon that did not appear in SM (IMO these would be the most likely to get Alolan forms)
Sentret
Furret
Hoothoot
Noctowl
Natu
Xatu
Mareep
Flaaffy
Ampharos
Bellossom
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Aipom
Sunkern
Sunflora
Yanma
Wooper
Quagsire
Unown
Wobbuffet
Girafarig
Pineco
Forretress
Dunsparce
Gligar
Steelix
Qwilfish
Shuckle
Heracross
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Slugma
Magcargo
Swinub
Piloswine
Corsola
Remoraid
Octillery
Mantine
Houndour
Houndoom
Kingdra
Phanpy
Donphan
Stantler
Smeargle
Tyrogue
Hitmontop
Smoochum
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar

Hey guys, new guy here, played Pokemon since FRLG but is kinda noobish when it comes to competitive, so sorry for being bad.

I honestly don't see why new Johto pokemon's Mega Evolution forms would be a hinderance to any possible Alolan forms. Sure GF doesn't want new Megas to wreck havoc like how they almost destroyed VGC and the meta (especially Mega Ray which is a running joke), but even so that doesn't mean that they will not add new megas with alternative forms that have somewhat modified stats to differentiate them from their general form.

Sorry if it's been already mentioned, but since all Pokemon are currently obtainable in S/M through PokeBank, wouldn't that preclude GameFreak from creating new Alolan forms in US/UM since they technically should already be possible, or could they just explain that away with "alternate universe!" ?

Sorry if it's been already mentioned, but since all Pokemon are currently obtainable in S/M through PokeBank, wouldn't that preclude GameFreak from creating new Alolan forms in US/UM since they technically should already be possible, or could they just explain that away with "alternate universe!" ?
I'm not sure how it would; especially since we're getting all new dex numbers (Burst and Assembly).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It could be a similar situation to many of the current Alola Pokemon where the base form is regular and evolves into the Alola form. All 'normal' variations could also be caught in the then recently released RBY VC games since they were only Kanto Pokemon. Using that as a precedent, it is possible Mareep and Larvitar evolve Alolan Ampharos and Alolan Tyranitar. Hopefully if there are new Alolan forms, some will be revealed shortly. I wouldn't put it above GF to give Alolan forms to popular instead of in addition to more deserving Pokemon.
I rather think the showcase of Mareep and Larvitar is connected to the fact that both can Mega Evolve. I find that much more plausible than the idea of giving them more forms that would be redundant with their existing forms, especially since many other Johto Pokémon have not got that kind of attention at all yet.

Besides, as far as I can recall, no Pokémon has ever got two different kinds of alternate forms in different generations after their release. You could make cases for Scyther and Onix, which got evolutions in Gen II which then got Megas in Gen VI, but no Pokémon who got Alola forms could Mega Evolve, and only one Gen IV evolution got a Mega (Gallade, although arguably just to match Gardevoir). I'll put forward a hypothesis that no Pokémon that has got any "upgrade" in the past four generations will get another. That is, if it received an evolution in Gen IV or a Mega in Gen VI, it won't get an Alola form in Gen VII. Pokémon only tend to go through a major revision once. Fret not, though, because the pool of "untouched" Pokémon is still fairly big.

With that in mind, I'd like to revise your list, removing all the catchable Johto Pokémon that got Gen IV evolutions or Megas.

Sentret
Furret
Hoothoot
Noctowl
Natu
Xatu
Bellossom
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Sunkern
Sunflora
Wooper
Quagsire
Unown
Wobbuffet
Girafarig
Pineco
Forretress
Dunsparce
Qwilfish
Shuckle
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Slugma
Magcargo
Corsola
Remoraid
Octillery
Mantine
Kingdra
Phanpy
Donphan
Stantler
Smeargle
Tyrogue
Hitmontop
Smoochum

Furthermore, we can conclude that "Gimmick Pokémon" probably won't get alternate forms, since their whole point as Pokémon is to perform their one trick. That excludes Unown, Wobbuffet, Smeargle, and arguably Shuckle. Mantine also appears to be unchanged. This still leaves 34 or 35 Pokémon, depending on whether you counted Shuckle. I'd say some are more likely than others, and at any rate I doubt more than 15-ish new Alola Forms would be created, but there's still a fairly decent chance we'll see some old Gen II favourites get a new lick of paint in USUM. I just don't expect "newly painted" Pokémon to be among them.

I rather think the showcase of Mareep and Larvitar is connected to the fact that both can Mega Evolve. I find that much more plausible than the idea of giving them more forms that would be redundant with their existing forms, especially since many other Johto Pokémon have not got that kind of attention at all yet.
This, on top of the fact that Electrike and Houndour are now version exclusives, both of which have megas. Serebii also listed that Heracross, who wasn't previously catchable in SM, will be included as well.

Bandwagoning with people finding evidence that they're ready to reintroduce Megas.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This, on top of the fact that Electrike and Houndour are now version exclusives, both of which have megas. Serebii also listed that Heracross, who wasn't previously catchable in SM, will be included as well.

Bandwagoning with people finding evidence that they're ready to reintroduce Megas.
But is it they're re-focusing on Mega Evolutions or just putting in the rest of the Mega Pokemon that weren't native in SM just for ease so they don't have to do another round of Mega Stone events (though nothing was stopping them from putting all the Mega Stones in the BP shops anyway)? The majority of Mega Pokemon were popular Pokemon anyway (or we made popular by their Mega Evolution) so just alone those Pokemon are advertising points (whether because they're good on their own or people look forward to using their Mega form), the question is whether they'll allow Mega Evolution during the main game or is this just post game convenience.

Eitherway I look forward their dex entries revealing the "dark" secrets about these Mega Evolutions and only a questionable trainer would use them... instead use Z-Moves which surges energy from an unknown dimension into your Pokemon!

Pokemon don't suddenly become alolan unless they have a non-alolan base (ie All cubone become alolan marowak no matter their origin) so if they *really* cared they would just introduce full alolan lines. So not Alola Noctowl but Alola Hoothoot AND Alola Noctowl.

Anyway judging by the alolan forms we have, they seem to focus on Pokemon that did not get a cross-gen evolution and did not get a mega. Obviously it's not set in stone, but it is probably not a coincidence that they just so happened to single out 10 lines from gen 1 that had neither of those. I wouldn't be surprsied if cross-gen branched evolutions also ruled them out

....as an aside can we please have a check for Cubone, Pikachu & Exeggcute. It is beyond that dumb that *any* of those 3 from any game always evolve into their alolan forms. The game already differentiates the different forms so it's not like this would be difficult.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
....as an aside can we please have a check for Cubone, Pikachu & Exeggcute. It is beyond that dumb that *any* of those 3 from any game always evolve into their alolan forms. The game already differentiates the different forms so it's not like this would be difficult.
Not to mention all the check would need to be is its caught location. If it's outside of Alola it evolves normally.

To answer your question with a clear and concise point: Game Freak couldn't care less.

Let me give you an example: in Gen IV, Piloswine and Lickitung gained the possibility of evolving if they leveled up while knowing Ancient Power and Rollout, respectively. What's the problem here? They could already learn the move. Ancient Power was an egg move for Swinub and Rollout was a TM/Tutor move for Lickitung, yet before Gen IV they could not evolve, and no explanation was given to it.

To answer your question with a clear and concise point: Game Freak couldn't care less.

Let me give you an example: in Gen IV, Piloswine and Lickitung gained the possibility of evolving if they leveled up while knowing Ancient Power and Rollout, respectively. What's the problem here? They could already learn the move. Ancient Power was an egg move for Swinub and Rollout was a TM/Tutor move for Lickitung, yet before Gen IV they could not evolve, and no explanation was given to it.
I think those are exceptions because god damn do they seem to care otherwise. Every other single new evolution and pre-evolution requires one (or two!) of:
-a move it couldn't get before
-an entirely new move
-One of 11 (!!) unique held items, only 2 of which have overlap and 9 of which also require a trade
-A new stone
-a new mechanic
-A THOUSAND INCENSES

Lickitung & Piloswine genuinely feel like oversights considering the, what, 46 or so other evolution/pre-evolutions didn't have this problem

It's actually a bit baffling that this is what they care about considering how they don't explain things like type discoveries suddenly changing pokemon between generations. I don't think anyone would bat an eye if you got rid of the incense, gamefreak.

Not to mention all the check would need to be is its caught location. If it's outside of Alola it evolves normally.
I think it makes more sense the way it is now. The reason Exeggcute can evolve into such a tall Exeggutor is because of the sunshine in Alola, so it wouldn't make sense for an Exeggcute to become a short Exeggutor while in Alola.

With that out of the way, I want to bring up something that's been bugging me for a while. In the Japanese trailer introducing the new Z-Ring, Bewear and Palossand are briefly shown using All-Out Pummeling and Never-Ending Nightmare, but there are subtitles under the names of the Z-moves. The other Z-moves in the montage have no such subtitles. Any idea what it could mean?
20170926_211215.png
20170926_211237.png

It's a character set thing. They both say the same thing one is just in a simpler form of Japanese iirc

also while it makes more sense for Exeggutor it makes substantially less sense for Cubone to turn into a ghost/fire when the given reason is "predators" or for pikachu to turn into the psychic surfer because *aggressive shrugging*.

Little known fact; pancakes in Alola are made using Payapa berries which are known to have psychic powers
Sinnoh's description of Payapa berries said:
This Berry is said to sense human emotions for the way it swells roundly when a person approaches.

There's an idea for a new evolution item "evolves into alolan Raichu when a Thunder Stone is used while holding Psychic Pancakes"

With that out of the way, I want to bring up something that's been bugging me for a while. In the Japanese trailer introducing the new Z-Ring, Bewear and Palossand are briefly shown using All-Out Pummeling and Never-Ending Nightmare, but there are subtitles under the names of the Z-moves. The other Z-moves in the montage have no such subtitles. Any idea what it could mean?
View attachment 88782 View attachment 88784
It's just how to pronounce those move names, not much to read into, I would say. Or maybe they're releasing two Japanese versions: one with kanji for older players and one without for the younger players. I'm actually considering playing it in Japanese on my Japanese 3DS this time so I can use the Masuda method using both my games, though I have to learn the names of basically all the moves and Pokemon in Japanese...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)