The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Signed up to play football at my uni (in UK), never played before but have a lot of experience in rugby - for people who played in HS/college what position do you guys recommend? 6'2'' 180 lbs btw

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Signed up to play football at my uni (in UK), never played before but have a lot of experience in rugby - for people who played in HS/college what position do you guys recommend? 6'2'' 180 lbs btw
I play right now, and even at non serious levels, at that light a weight, your only options would be wide receiver / cb. You're probably too tall to be a rb when you're that light (lowest man wins), so I hope you're fast / have long arms cause you could kill it as a wideout or a cb. Also I guess qb too if you have a cannon of an arm.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I play right now, and even at non serious levels, at that light a weight, your only options would be wide receiver / cb. You're probably too tall to be a rb when you're that light (lowest man wins), so I hope you're fast / have long arms cause you could kill it as a wideout or a cb. Also I guess qb too if you have a cannon of an arm.
Lol i actually have a really good left arm in terms of throwing distance and accuracy and shit but i feel like playing qb as someone whos never played the game properly before is kind of a push in terms of mental smarts shit. Reciever or corner it is man

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol i actually have a really good left arm in terms of throwing distance and accuracy and shit but i feel like playing qb as someone whos never played the game properly before is kind of a push in terms of mental smarts shit. Reciever or corner it is man
I was almost that exact size in high school and I played cb. If you have good acceleration it makes you really good at jumping short routes for ints, as well as closing quickly on deeper balls once they are in the air. You're also big enough to get past rb and te blocks on the rare cb blitz if you can get up to speed quickly (again, acceleration).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the Falcons choked a game they should have won
Well...
Also how is this for a fun stat: The Falcons haven't trailed in a game since the first quarter of the divisional round of the playoffs (they technically never trailed in the Super Bowl despite losing).
They didn't trail for any length of time on the clock, but that's technically not the same thing as never trailing.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I was a strong proponent of PFF for a while but their grades have always been shit/untrustworthy. Their best attribute was their advanced stats database but they charge 200 bucks for that a year so fuck em.

Put it this way: PFF grades success/failure and then erases in what specific types of areas a player succeeds or doesn't and doesn't take into account how often a player is asked to do which when giving out a final grade. This means a weak player who can basically only do a single thing well but whose coaches always put him into that situation will get a massive grade inflation (Kyle Arrington, the 3rd CB of the Patriots a few seasons back, was the 20th best corner in the league according to PFF at one point).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it just me or does it seem like every primetime game has at least one nfc east team in it? Feels like it at least...

I was a strong proponent of PFF for a while but their grades have always been shit/untrustworthy. Their best attribute was their advanced stats database but they charge 200 bucks for that a year so fuck em.

Put it this way: PFF grades success/failure and then erases in what specific types of areas a player succeeds or doesn't and doesn't take into account how often a player is asked to do which when giving out a final grade. This means a weak player who can basically only do a single thing well but whose coaches always put him into that situation will get a massive grade inflation (Kyle Arrington, the 3rd CB of the Patriots a few seasons back, was the 20th best corner in the league according to PFF at one point).
Idk I like them... although they have hiccups at times which makes their sources questionable... plus rating Falcons first in O and third in D... that's o decent

I hate the fact that they put the best content under a huge paywall. And it was worst. As a football editor, I relied heavily on PFF's advanced stats for years. Then, they changed from 25 bucks for over 1k. I talked to them personally and they said they could send me a weekly report of the Broncos and the opponents for mere 400 bucks a year. Now, with Elite, the price is lower, but I still don't think it's worth it. Collinsworth ruined the PFF by buying it.

But yeah, the rankings are generally good.

Bears are an absolutely hapless team

No clue how they beat Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh week 3 (sometimes week 2) every year shits the bed...

2016 eagles 34 steelers 3

2015 barely beat rams and lose their QB

2014 week 2 get blown out by ravens

2013 bears 40 steelers 23

2012 lose to the raiders who went like 4-12

2011 almost lose to 2-14 colts

This year bears got them in ot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)