Pokémon GO

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
no real point to power a snorlax, I wouldn't power a blissey and the same is true for lax.... their only purpose is to have a lot of HP which they do just fine at level 20
But you Power it up for the CP which allows it to be put in Gyms longer and earn coins. I power up Snorlax because some gyms already have a Blissey, so it’s the next best thing.

It helped me accumulate coins to buy the special Halloween event packages on sale in the app, which wouldn’t have been possible with low CP Pokémon. It also allows for me to use coins for the incubators or raid passes, which helps me in the long run.

If you put in a level 20 anything, then it won’t hit even 2500 CP, even a level 20 Mewtwo only has 2250-ish CP and it is the current highest CP in the game.

As CP reduces over time while defending a gym, even if not attacked, it’s best to earn coins by storing as many long lasting Pokémon in Gyms as possible. As many Gyms are already filled; it’s best to put in long lasting ones in the few that don’t already have 6 Pokémon from your team.

It takes forever to defeat a gym (I mean taking it over not just a single round of defeating the defenders) of 3K Tyranitar, Dragonite, Blissey, Snorlax, Rhydon, Vaporeon/Gyarados which discourages people from attacking the gym, and coming back when the CP has whittled down. That allows people to accumulate coins... especially if attacking a gym alone.

I only agree with you if you mean Raids, (I specifically stated Gyms in reference to Snorlax in my previous post- so I assume you don’t?), but even then it’s good to have a high powered Blissey as a 6th Pokemon if you don’t have enough people and you don’t want to risk losing, giving you enough time to switch out and put in a new team if lag slows down the menu. This allows for maximum Premier Balls for the Raid Catch.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
it takes absolutely 0 time to defeat a gym, especially if it's been a couple hours after you've put your pokemon in and your 3000 CP snorlax has decayed to 1000. It is a 10 minute endeavor at most. the only thing that is useful is the pokemon having enough HP to deter people from attacking it. if they actually start attacking it, you're generally screwed, as your supply of grazz is probably more limited than their patience.

they've fixed the rejoin damage balls glitch, too, btw.

e:

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
it takes absolutely 0 time to defeat a gym, especially if it's been a couple hours after you've put your pokemon in and your 3000 CP snorlax has decayed to 1000. It is a 10 minute endeavor at most. the only thing that is useful is the pokemon having enough HP to deter people from attacking it. if they actually start attacking it, you're generally screwed, as your supply of grazz is probably more limited than their patience.

they've fixed the rejoin damage balls glitch, too, btw.
But the whole point that a gym has decayed means people waited to battle it, which deterred them long enough to give you some coins (I.e. maxed Snorlax at 3.2K, instead of a level 20 at 1.8K).

So my point stands, it pays to max out what will outlast, and not just the Tyranitars and Dragonites which have higher CP, but the Pokémon with higher HP like you said.

You said it takes 0 time to beat a gym... at 1K, my post stated when they are at 3K+, you mentioned a completely different scenario.

If it doesn’t take long to beat a gym at a low CP, why put in low CP? Rebattling it lowers CP, if you have a 1000CP Blissey it won’t deter anyone, having a 3K Blissey does...

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As far as gym placement recommendations, I usually target gyms that have higher turnover and enter or take down gyms usually if I see they're over 8 hours and 20 minutes to give them 50 coins so it's like giving them a favor and hoping they do the same in return. I now have 10 gold gyms and numerous that are silver, 4 of which are within reasonable range to becoming gold as well so I'll be targeting those more frequently until their mission is accomplished. I have 2 types of pokemon that I usually place in gyms:

gold gyms: pokemon that I don't necessarily need to feed berries to but others might, they include blissey, snorlax, vaporeon, gyarados, ampharos, porygon2
silver gyms: pokemon that I'll more likely give berries to: they include tyranitar, dragonite, machamp

Believe it or not chansey is an excellent gym pokemon so I've been keeping most of the ones I've hatched to date for that purpose. I only power up pokemon that I expect to frequently use in raid battles or sweep in gyms. powering up for defending gyms is almost useless as I usually never have a problem with getting my daily goal of 50 coins per day especially since I'm within a block from one of them.

For those of us in the USA we are now raiding for suicune as it seems tougher to catch compared to the others as I'm 0 for 3 in my attempts so far. I had a streak of 16 consecutive legendary catches between raikou & entei and since I failed in my last 2 chances to get a better entei I'm at a losing streak of 5 now with legendaries. I would be satisfied with at least one suicune for pokedex caught. I already have some good enteis which I don't expect to power up anytime soon until I find a need to, maybe for possibly a metagross raid.

I am unfortunately now 0 for 6 in getting a mewtwo invite as it seems incredibly ridiculous how they've been given out.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
As far as gym placement recommendations, I usually target gyms that have higher turnover and enter or take down gyms usually if I see they're over 8 hours and 20 minutes to give them 50 coins so it's like giving them a favor and hoping they do the same in return. I now have 10 gold gyms and numerous that are silver, 4 of which are within reasonable range to becoming gold as well so I'll be targeting those more frequently until their mission is accomplished. I have 2 types of pokemon that I usually place in gyms:

gold gyms: pokemon that I don't necessarily need to feed berries to but others might, they include blissey, snorlax, vaporeon, gyarados, ampharos, porygon2
silver gyms: pokemon that I'll more likely give berries to: they include tyranitar, dragonite, machamp

Believe it or not chansey is an excellent gym pokemon so I've been keeping most of the ones I've hatched to date for that purpose. I only power up pokemon that I expect to frequently use in raid battles or sweep in gyms. powering up for defending gyms is almost useless as I usually never have a problem with getting my daily goal of 50 coins per day especially since I'm within a block from one of them.

For those of us in the USA we are now raiding for suicune as it seems tougher to catch compared to the others as I'm 0 for 3 in my attempts so far. I had a streak of 16 consecutive legendary catches between raikou & entei and since I failed in my last 2 chances to get a better entei I'm at a losing streak of 5 now with legendaries. I would be satisfied with at least one suicune for pokedex caught. I already have some good enteis which I don't expect to power up anytime soon until I find a need to, maybe for possibly a metagross raid.

I am unfortunately now 0 for 6 in getting a mewtwo invite as it seems incredibly ridiculous how they've been given out.
For your coins, how many do you put in Gyms per day to collect your 50 coins? I live in the Bay Area and here there are many active users, as this is close to the Niantic HQ, so I frequently see Gyms get attacked, and turnover is high.

I think it depends on geographical luck, if you live in areas with high turnover you have to maximize the likelihood of not being kicked out. Simply having high level Pokémon with defensive capabilities isn’t just making it take longer to be taken over, it’s a deterrent. In my area, I don’t Attack Gyms that have high CP or high Defense Pokémon, I go for the ones who are in the morning the Pokémon that lost CP when people put them in the night before. I minimize my work, and then put in my Blissey or Snorlax so that way by the time someone wakes up to Attack my gym, it will be likely because the high CP has whittled down and I have earned enough coins to not care if it will be removed. That and I put in Pokémon in Gyms the night prior to, so by the time I wake up while everyone else was sleeping and didn’t Attack, it will have been the 8 1/3 hours.

P.S. How do you keep track of all of the gold and silver gyms?

Why not power up a TTar then, it has more CP anyways and will actually get useful in fights
I already have maxed out 3 of my best Tyranitar. With #4 on its way up, as well as 2 maxed Dragonites (3rd on its way), Vaporeon, Lapras, Alakazam, Blissey, etc.

I do put Tyranitar in Gyms, but it has a 4x weakness just like Gyarados, Dragonite, and Rhydon do, plus with higher HP Blissey/Snorlax last longer in battle and deter fights.

breh - you didn’t ask them if there were 6 Pokémon over 3K in a gym... what if Snorlax is the last one to face out of the 6? I stand by my point... in one instance you changed the CP from 3.2K to 1K, in the next you make it as if there is only a Snorlax in the gym as a deterrent... my original scenario remains unchallenged: 6 Pokémon in a gym over 3K each... including Snorlax. Quote for reference:
It takes forever to defeat a gym (I mean taking it over not just a single round of defeating the defenders) of 3K Tyranitar, Dragonite, Blissey, Snorlax, Rhydon, Vaporeon/Gyarados which discourages people from attacking the gym, and coming back when the CP has whittled down. That allows people to accumulate coins... especially if attacking a gym alone.

Attachments

Last edited:

Expert Evan

For your coins, how many do you put in Gyms per day to collect your 50 coins? I live in the Bay Area and here there are many active users, as this is close to the Niantic HQ, so I frequently see Gyms get attacked, and turnover is high.

I think it depends on geographical luck, if you live in areas with high turnover you have to maximize the likelihood of not being kicked out. Simply having high level Pokémon with defensive capabilities isn’t just making it take longer to be taken over, it’s a deterrent. In my area, I don’t Attack Gyms that have high CP or high Defense Pokémon, I go for the ones who are in the morning the Pokémon that lost CP when people put them in the night before. I minimize my work, and then put in my Blissey or Snorlax so that way by the time someone wakes up to Attack my gym, it will be likely because the high CP has whittled down and I have earned enough coins to not care if it will be removed. That and I put in Pokémon in Gyms the night prior to, so by the time I wake up while everyone else was sleeping and didn’t Attack, it will have been the 8 1/3 hours.

P.S. How do you keep track of all of the gold and silver gyms?
While Bridgeport, CT may not be as active as other major cities, I'm in convenient close distance to a number of gyms I usually get to on my jogging route some of which are more Mystic friendly than others and some which we have a little rivalry going on but with mutual respect since we oftentimes participate in the same raids as well.

To keep track of all my gold and silver gyms, when I go to my Gym Badges under my profile, I can change the sort order by points descending or sort it so it shows the gyms I'm currently defending at the top if I wanted to. I can also when searching through my pokemon just type in "defender" and it conveniently shows which ones are now in gyms which makes it easy to indicate where they are so I can navigate there and give them berries as well.

While I had hoped to catch suicune on the first day it came out, hopefully there will be many others I can get to as all I really care about is getting one caught at least. I doubt I'll power one up since I have 3 maxed out vaporeons already.

breh

強いだね
If there are 6 Pokemon over 3 K in a gym, I will probably ignore it because I'm not the kind of obnoxious asshole that will take down gyms after they've been there for 10 minutes. There is no value to this for you or for the other person, all it does is inspire revenge takedowns which just eat up your patience.

If they've been there for a substantial chunk of time (let's say 5ish hours) and for whatever reason still all at 3000 CP (...I could perhaps understand grazzing blissey / snorlax / chansey, but why dnite / ttar / <rhydon or gyarados>), they're getting kicked out either way. None of these pokemon are fundamentally impossible to take out and you may also notice that, beyond the normal types, all of them have very easily exploitable quad-weaknesses as well as weaknesses that overlap with legendary raid bosses / pokemon used against raid bosses.

if you see a Blissey in a gym, I pop in a chansey, oddly my vaporeon (water pulse) is out performing a same level snorlax (84% ZH BS), dunno what it is beating, but it gets battle defends.

Suicune is easy to catch, I was excellent throwing them nearly every time, having more problem with raikou

breh

強いだね
There are three main things that are a deterrent from me taking down a gym:

-Low time spent in the gym (I'm not going to go tearing down a fresh gym)

-Distance from me at the current time / how tired I am (if it's cold or I'm tired and just want to walk back home rather than go to take down gyms and then go back home, I will just go back home)

-How friendly the gym is towards my team / how reliable the gym is for getting coins (no matter what I put in certain gyms, the pokemon will be kicked out in 10 minutes unless I make the conscious effort to grazz it or go back and reclaim the gym... I avoid these gyms because they're not worth the effort to take down)

None of these things are dependent on the CP of the pokemon in the gym.

Very seldom do I see people berry anything in a gym, blissey or otherwise. A higher CP will decay faster, so it will have an empty heart faster.

... and I thought all I do in gym is breaking them when I feel like it. Well, my home residential area is not so much quick to turn over, but campus is pretty much free for all arena. I'd actually break fresh gym in such grounds when I feel I want Gold Badge quickly. If they break it again, I'll just take it again. That'll add up to the badge EXP, so I'm happy either way. If they feed Golden Berry, I'll be happy to deplete their Gold Berry quickly.

With potion overflow, not even Blisseys deter me. I actually am happy that I can spend potions instead of dropping them. So yeah, it'll just be whether the gym falls in 10 or 15 minutes.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
While Bridgeport, CT may not be as active as other major cities, I'm in convenient close distance to a number of gyms I usually get to on my jogging route some of which are more Mystic friendly than others and some which we have a little rivalry going on but with mutual respect since we oftentimes participate in the same raids as well.

To keep track of all my gold and silver gyms, when I go to my Gym Badges under my profile, I can change the sort order by points descending or sort it so it shows the gyms I'm currently defending at the top if I wanted to. I can also when searching through my pokemon just type in "defender" and it conveniently shows which ones are now in gyms which makes it easy to indicate where they are so I can navigate there and give them berries as well.

While I had hoped to catch suicune on the first day it came out, hopefully there will be many others I can get to as all I really care about is getting one caught at least. I doubt I'll power one up since I have 3 maxed out vaporeons already.
I type in defender and legendary and it doesn’t seem to show the corresponding Pokémon. Anyways, caught my firs suicune yesterday and turned Level 38 because of it!

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
New Raid Bosses. So far we got:

Level 1:

• Ivysaur
  • Metapod
  • Charmeleon
  • Wartortle
Level 2:

• Magneton
  • Sableye
  • Sandslash
  • Tentacruel
  • Marowak
  • Cloyster
Level 3:

• Ninetales
  • Scyther
  • Omastar
  • Porygon
Level 4:

• Poliwrath
  • Victreebel
  • Golem
  • Nidoking
  • Nidoqueen
These replace current ones. Raid Timers seem to be 45 minutes now.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

ooh, so many of these new raid bosses look purely useless, though will be curious about scyther since it's 4x weak to rock and omastar without its legacy rock moves is 4x weak to grass so that's a first among level 3 stuff. I was hoping dragonite would be added as a new raid boss to complement tyranitar having been one.

breh

強いだね
I don't understand this move. I'm not particularly mad (I have 4 level 30 ttar, one at level 20 that's decent, and a larvitar) but I don't see why they would remove all potential secondary sources of revenue from raids beyond legendary raids. They could have done something like dratini / dragonair, mareep / flaafy, etc. in lower tier raids to at least encourage people to go for something valuable. Notably, I think literally every pokemon in this list short of porygon nests.

Magneton gives type badge, Sableye has a shiny chance (new magikarp), Scyther is, like, /decent/ vs. 1/4 mewtwo but spawns at a low level, Scizor will be overkill vs. Celebi, and all of the t4s are poop. I think Golem will be duoable for those people that really love Golem.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

I certainly don't like these changes. Removing the likes of Machamp, Alakazam, Tyranitar with garbage such as Ninetales, Nidoking & Nidoqueen is purely an insult to the enjoyment of Pokemon GO especially after the way they've treated how the ex raid invites have been handled lately. Omastar would've been better if it still had the legacy rock moves maybe it will eventually come back I hope so. And to only allow 45 minutes instead of a full hour for each raid, why?

I just woke up and.....

This is not only completely useless, the Tier 3 raid is cut down. Seriously, I hate this. I always love my time of Vaporeon soloing and am trying to master other raids like Arcanine, but....

Tier 3 used to to have many raids:
Arcanine, Machamp, Gengar, Alakazam?, Vees.

Even if it is argued that they can help completion, Steel type would be helped by that one Steel common thing by the time Gen3 fully arrives.

So, now raid is just about the reward....

Omastar would've been better if it still had the legacy rock moves maybe it will eventually come back I hope so.
Very unlikely that they'll do that, since it is barely legal in the main series game either, only available by a very distant event. I don't think Ntic wants to be scolded by TPCi and by extension GF.

Anyone, how high is Ninetails' Def again? I already have hard time mastering Arcanine (still successful but after retries and hasn't mastered all movesets). Porigon also look like something very difficult to solo....

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Ninetales has the same defense stat as Flareon (204). Just packs less of a punch. It's a Tier 3 that is not easily done unless you have a maxed out Golem squad or something, and even then it has Solar Beam, so don't try to solo it.

Ninetales has the same defense stat as Flareon (204). Just packs less of a punch. It's a Tier 3 that is not easily done unless you have a maxed out Golem squad or something, and even then it has Solar Beam, so don't try to solo it.
Literally the same? Well, that's one into "impossible to solo" list.

I have heard Ttars still stay as others saw, but when I asked about other raids, they don't know yet....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)