CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
fixed your spelling.
thanx :toast: i always wanted to know how too spell order (not sarcasam. realy. no seriosly its not, im bad at spelling and cant be botherd to copy everything into word before posting)

QFT means : Quoted For Truth
i thought it might be but was not sure

i TOTALY agree with this, infact i surgested the thread was started straight after the type was chosen. it should go something like this

1. and 1.5: type(s)
2. check if we want it to be an evo/prevo of an exsisting pokemon, we probably dont need a separate poll for this.
2.5 (start art thread) function e.g. mixed wall, supporter.
3. stats
4. choose art (i would make it sooner but we need to give the artists time)
2.5 - 4 I couldn't think of a better way to list them. Appearance/function somewhat dictate stat spread but at the same time stat dictate appearance/function as well.
5. movepool
6. ability
7. final sprite + mini sprite + back sprite.
8. minor stuff e.g. hight, weight, exp. speed, wild hold item, analersys probably more stuff i cant think of now.
9. finishing touches

anything else too add?

also hyra can you/have you read my post a few pages back? if not can you?
My opinion, not much else is wrong with it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i agree with your change it makes sence, but one thing is odd we had 14 polls for the first one but this looks like 9 to me (maybe 10). what have i missed?

Did the shoddy sever get made yet??? Oh, and Idc how we make the next Pokemon. However, if we do not use my idea ever, Cooper, can you tell me how to send the idea to Nintendo?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've continued looking at the Shoddy source code, but I haven't pulled it all into my coding environment (Eclipse). I can get this done, but it could be done a LOT faster by someone already familiar with Shoddy programming. Does anyone know anyone on the Shoddy programming team?

The new pokemon itself appears to be really simple to add. The new ability is a little trickier, but doesn't look too tough. The biggest problem I will face is bootstrapping the whole coding project. Pulling in the .jars is a breeze, but getting everything to build and deploy correctly can be tough. I really won't find out until I do it. I'll also have a learning curve with familiarizing myself with all the object classes. The source code is documented decently, so that helps considerably. I still expect getting everything in place to write code, to take me a considerable amount of time. If someone has already done this (ie. someone on the Shoddy team, or someone who has built a mod server before), they can get done a LOT faster than me.

So, we really should try to locate someone who has modded Shoddy before. If not, I'm willing to dig into it further. I'll probably dig further into Shoddy anyway. It's interesting to me, and I'd like to be able to add more pokemon in the future. But, right now, our fastest option is to locate an experienced Shoddy coder.

The only thing i believe that needs changing, for the next one, is the order of operations (first do the pic and then do the moves/abilities etc.)
I have to admit, this idea didn't really speak to me until I read some of the follow-up posts. However, despite what everyone says, it still seems more logical for the function poll to come before the art thread. For example, let's say the type decided upon in the next poll was Steel/Psychic. Now, as custom dictates, pokemon like that tend to be slow and defensive (i.e. Bronzong and Metagross). Art thread comes up, everyone designs something really defensive-looking, taking advantage of the Steel capabilities. But then the function poll comes around, and everyone votes for a Physical sweeper with over 100 base speed. All that art is kinda screwed, right? So this idea seems best:

1. type
2. (start art thread) function e.g. mixed wall, supporter.
2.5 check if we want it to be an evo/prevo of an exsisting pokemon, we probably dont need a separate poll for this.
3. stats
4. choose art (i would make it sooner but we need to give the artists time)
Also:
to avoid flame wars (unless it's to clear misunderstandings), which I think would continue, via extrapolation of Cooper's attitude.
That was not a flame or anything close to it. That was me expressing my thoughts, backing them up with the possible consequences of you ideas.

it seemed that Cooper did a lot of deciding himself upon how the process'd works.
Try because it was the first program and I was the mod? Unless I was expected to have 13 more polls, each one asking what should come next, I think me deciding what poll went where was the only way to do things.

Wasn't Cooper really against the top-down designing thing? Maybe we can have yet another poll deciding thing...lol.
Anyways it seem'd that my idea got nerfed...lol.
Has anyone realised that Cooper's not actually a mod, and people could probably ninja-post with their ideas for Create-a-poke 2, as his threads weren't official or anything ... lol there'd probably be tons if people decided to do this.

EDIT: Sarnath'd

Wasn't Cooper really against the top-down designing thing? Yes Maybe we can have yet another poll deciding thing...lol. Never again
Anyways it seem'd that my idea got nerfed...lol.
Has anyone realised that Cooper's not actually a mod, and people could probably ninja-post with their ideas for Create-a-poke 2, as his threads weren't official or anything ... lol there'd probably be tons if people decided to do this.
Someone actually did try to do a second "Create A Pokemon," but was shot down. Not only because mine was picking up speed, but because they tried during Poll 4 I believe, which was way too early.

I will, after testing is done on shoddy. I PMed Amazing Ampharos about it, but he has yet to respond. However, since he was on today (I sent the PM yesterday), I have the sneaking suspicion he ignored it.

Then why not speak up sooner? Seriously. You should have stated ths earlier and stayed with the polls. Even though I came late, around Poll 7, I went back to see what was going on.

EDIT: Beaten, argh....

I love me some Tentaghoul ¬.¬

Anyways, I assume Hyra is the next mod for this? Also, think we will end up making a dex? If so I'm gonna make Tentaghoul :D (To specs' by people of course :D)

If we make each pokemon at this rate, then making a dex of ~100 pokemon would take like several years ... by then which hopefully nex gen comes out.
I dunno, I'd prefer this not to aim to make tons and tons of pokemon; maybe a quarterly thing.

EDIT: Ha ha ha people are parading their pokemon ideas. That was the reason I proposed my competition in the first place. I also think that Tentracruel and Snorlax are very good where they are (Lax needs a simple movepool addition to make it good - come on it has like 540 base stat total, IIRC)

Okay, I'm ready to start the next creation, as soon as I have Cooper's permission.

To Eric:

Yeah, I read your stuff. I'm going to take some liberty with the type polls though. I think I'll just take the top ten from last time. The entire 2 polls for typing was really, really poorly done. No offense to Cooper, but I was confused at first. Also, Water only gets in as the final type if its /Fire or /Ghost. I will be probably be hated for this, but there isn't a lot left to do with water that is original.

Onto more stuff. The entire operations thing is not changing. This works, we are just going to streamline it. You want mass submissions and judges go to Serebii or GameFAQs.

Finally, the next poll is basically a soft reset on the process. We go back to the beginning and see what people want, starting with if they want to evolve something or make something new. We are not going to start with some premade fan art. See Cooper for rest.

Wow, its amazing what you miss when you try to have a life.

Ok Hyra. I understand not using fan art. But how will the next poll be made? Will a list off possible new Pokemon and/or new evos of old Pokemon with descriptions, and then people will choose? Or will it be a type poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)