A war story with little gifs

Hey everyone. This is my first warstory. I’m posting it up because it was a fun match and the closest finish I’ve ever witnessed firsthand.
This was a match I had with a friend, so there is no battle log (on the off chance you’ve seen my animation, he’s the guy with the Typhlosion, Golduck etc).
There are no clauses and our battles tend to see OUnites rubbing elbows with NUers.
We have a roster of over 30 monsters each, so the Pokemon combinations you see here aren’t teams set in stone or anything. So let’s start!

His Team:

My Team:

Balls loaded, we loose our monsters onto the field.
I lead with Purugly (Sean’s Cat), he starts with Jolteon (my most dreaded of his leads).

He switches to Bronzong and Fake Out is not very effective.

His Bronzongs come equipped with either Lum Berries or Macho Braces. Not wanting to risk being put to sleep if he shakes off a Hypnosis, I call back Purugly in favor of Magnezone (Hurtawatt).

Magnezone gets put to sleep, but luckily for me I had packed a Lum Berry of my own for just such a situation. I call for a Magnet Rise not caring that he put Zone to sleep again. Bronzong won’t be going anywhere anytime soon, and the odds are in my favor that I’ll wake up before my earthbound exemption runs out.

His Gyro Balls glance off for a few turns when Magnezone wakes up and Thunderbolts Bronzong twice, leaving it with just a shred of health left. Bronzong puts Zone to sleep again just as Magnet Rise wears off.

Figuring my sleeping mass of metal may prove useful yet, I switch to dandy old Pelipper (Pelippe) who soars over the Earthquake with nary a care in the world.

Pelipper Surfs Bronzong dead and tries to get on with its life.

6-5

Jolteon pops up again; here’s where it gets tricky.

My friend and I have played each other enough to have a reasonable understanding of each other’s Pokemon psychology. After much mental predictioneering we arrive at the conclusions that Jolteon using Substitute and Pelipper using Surf would be the best way to go.

The Sub goes down and Pelipper says goodbye.

Sleeping Magnezone says hello and takes a Thunderbolt too.

Jolteon Subs and Batons Passes to Flygon who proceeds to Earthquake the never waking Magnezone into oblivion.

5-5

Pelipper’s back now and takes the Life Orbed Dragon Claw like a pro.

Another Dragon Claw and Pelipper has washed away Flygon’s second-hand Sub.

I figure now would be a good time to use Toxic. Either his Flygon is gonna eat it, or the poor sap likely switching in will.

He switches –haha- to Swellow (Grumpybird) –dammit- he knew the score…

So the poisoned, and very grumpy, Swellow proceeds to Façade the hell out of my poor Pelipper who, by the miracle of Leftovers and Pelipper just being awesome, manages to hold on to life by the tendrils of its mighty hoof. I Roost off the damage, I won’t be able to stall him until the poison finishes Swellow off.

The next Façade leaves me in even worse shape, so my decision to Surf was a good one.

After the wave subsides and Toxic takes its toll, Pelipper flaps triumphant over the mangled body of a very wet, very grumpy bird.

5-4

Jolteon Thunderbolts and Pelippe is no more.

4-4

I bring back Purugly only to have Jolteon give it the slip again. This time it’s his Porygon 2’s (Caca) time to shine.

Porygon2 Traces Own Tempo…cunning (although, Trace has caused me major headaches in the past).

Thinking I’ll be clever and bounce a Toxic back at him, I bring in Umbreon (Soccer).
He Ice Beams instead. For the past couple of weeks, Pokemon having been freezing solid at the drop of a tuque so I was still rather nervous despite the Ice Beam having done nothing. This was also Umbreon’s first piece of action in months, and I was hoping he’d get around to being kind of useful today to warrant me having plucked him out of the box.

So anyway, Umbreon Toxics Porygon2, Porygon2 gets a boost out of Charge Beam, Umbreon Mean Looks Porygon2 and Porygon2 uses one of its Beams again..don’t remember which one. At this point, I’m wondering why he still hasn’t tried to Toxic me. Guessing it’s coming any second now I bravely Baton Pass to Drapion (Paingoblin) who lovingly eats a Charge Beam (boost).

I get kinda cocky at this point and decide to Acupressure Drapion to pass the time as Porygon2 slowly fades away (I keep Acupressure for the occasional doubles match when more than three of us are together and because it’s fun).

The boosts go Special D, accuracy and Speed while Porygon2 Beams or Recovers or something.

After my speed boost, Drapion was feeling ready to lay down some hurt when Ice Beam finishes him off. I guess I’d misjudged the damage he could take and didn’t act accordingly. It was pretty close though.

3-4

Porygon2 is about dead at this point and Purugly comes in to finally get to do something!

Porygon2 goes down and out comes Typhlosion. I’m terrified and deeply regret not
having a direct way to deal with this beast right now.

3-3

I pull out Purugly and Charizard (Charlie Jr) eats an Eruption leaving him at roughly half health. Typhlosion is Scarfed, and not Speccsed it would seem.

He Erupts again and I’m down to less than 10 HP.

I throw a Fire Blast at him for lack of something better to do and it surprisingly brings him down to 1/3. This is weird because my Charizard doesn’t have a Special Attack boosting nature and as far as I know, my friend’s Typlosion does!

With Typhlosion’s health so low I’m feeling confident again and switch out Charizard for Umbreon.

Eruption leaves Umbreon with barely a scorchmark and at this point my little caliginous canid has earned its keep.

Not having much else to do I Toxic his incoming Jolteon.

This Jolteon needed to be put down once and for all.
Perhaps I didn’t have enough faith in my Umbreon’s proven Special Defensing capabilities; perhaps it was the impatience stemming from having this inevitable showdown put off time and time again. Whatever the reason, I remove Umbreon from the field and plop my Purugly in its place.

Who takes a Thunderbolt to the face.

Purugly survives because it’s a champ and plugs away with Fake Out and Quick Attack. The poison works its magic and the Substitutes collect their due.

Jolteon faints.

3-2

Flygon comes out (I’d forgotten about him) and I figure it’s no problem if I put it to sleep.

Oops, I forgot his Jolly dragon outpaces my fat, lumpy cat. Flygon Dragon Claws and my Purugly is put to sleep instead.

2-2

At this point, I know I’m screwed. Even though my slightly faster Charizard knocks Flygon out with a Dragon Pulse,

2-1

I know what his Typhlosion is capable of.
So out comes the fiery ferret to Focus Blast Charizard and teammate Umbreon to ashes.

haHAH! Focus Blast misses! Thank goodness HP Fighting is such a bitch to get.

This battle here is in the bag, after I hit with the Pulse of Drag.

Typhlosion survives the Dragon Pulse
He was down to a third of his health and he survived with just a sliver…

This was the first time my Charizard’s downright crappy Special Attack IVs made a noticeable difference and I’m still reeling from it.

Focus Blast hits Charizard dead.

1-1

Anyway, Umbreon, the beautiful thing, survives the Focus Blast!

This battle here is in the bag, after I make my Toxic tag.

Typhlosion is poisoned but, darn it all, it STILL marches on! I swear it looked like it had less than 1/16th of its health left, but I guess the numbers just weren’t going to crunch in my favor.

It Focus Blasts again and the match is over.

0-1

Alright, so props to:

Pelippe the Pelipper for single-handedly taking out a grumpyguts Swellow even after being previously mishandled by Flygon.

Typhlosion for being such a monster. Really, Marowak can’t take that beast.

The game engine for not doling out a single game affecting critical hit.

Big nasty farts for:

Charlie Jr the Charizard who messed up his opportunity to finish off Typhlosion like some dumb cartoon villain’s lackey.

So that was the match. I hope you had an okay time reading it. I realize that many of the movesets our Pokemon carry probably aren’t terribly effective for standard play, but we’ve developed our own little metagame from months of infighting and picky Pokemon adoption methods. Feel free to critique or advise, this post is for everyone.

Edit: I'd like to make a correction: My friend's Typhlosion is in fact Timid.

Hey where did you get those sprite animations, there pretty sweet!

anyways...no log is different, though still seemed not enough commentary...

Great Read!

Hey, the reason there is no battle log is because it took place over Wi-Fi.

Thanks, I made the sprites specifically for this story actually..

Also, do you mean the text should be more descriptive?

Great Warstory! Very unique and much more of a "story" then any seen recently. IMO, if you're posting a log, then comments and commentary are the way to go, but in something like this, Commentary, insights etc, just muddle up the story breaking down that 4th wall. The narrative itself was nice and the pokemon involved rarely seen. Prediction and skill were pretty good on both sides (though alot was hidden without Health checks). The colour-coded font helped tremendously.

A very nice battle, and its nice not to see Garchomp for a change.

PS. Where did you get the gifs? They are awesome!

At first I thought the EVs must not be very good, but after running some damage calcs I am pretty impressed with Pelipper's ability to take Guts Facades even if it's only from base 85 attack. Never would've bothered to check if not for this story.

Would have liked more definition on what moves happened when (like the porygon2 thing) but it was still coherent. The gifs were pretty cool, and that was one close battle.

one day i would love to see little gifs made by you (like those above) for all of the pokemon, but that there would be a pretty hefty task.

would be cool for warstorys though

Not to jump on the bandwagon, or anything, but this is an awesome warstory, for the actual story, the format, and then animations! Hopefully, future warstories will model this. Pretty random teams. :P

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Those sprites are free to use if anyone wants.
Wow, thank you! These gifs are awesome. I hope you decide to make more in the future.

Very nice warstory, too. I love to see OU and UU Pokémon mingled like this. Some of the damage that was done (and not done) seems incredible. Were all 12 Pokémon the same level?

EDIT: I think the Purugly animation is my favorite. It actually makes me want to train one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)