Smogon Forums

ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
Woah, this is already reality?! I remember seeing a very similar prototype on the cover of Popular Science in 2012, and I was jizzed to see a chopper without the tail rotor. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
^that's the NorEaster engine. It's pretty nice, and you MUST check it out. I haven't read the pdf because its ~80 pages, but you'll probably find it useful...
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Ah, but that's not entirely what the kmax is. It uses intermeshing rotors, not coaxial. It results in extreme efficiency with lowered complexity and higher maneuverability, also losing less power due to coaxial "downwash". Intermeshing was first done by the Germans in the 40s, and the kmax is the most recent
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
Oh boy intermeshing is scary! If one of those 2 motors screw up, you're SCREWED. So why isn't this tech used more?

p.s. the kmax is one of the most awkward looking choppers I've seen. Granted, the intermeshing is cool, but the nose cone, ugh, that doesn't look like it belongs there at all.
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
and lol the way the kmax dumped that SUV
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Yeah! Whereas two rotors on top of each other hovers, it covers less surface area. Because of the skewed angles, intermeshing makes you take crazy turns. And there's no way for the blades to collide, because they run off one gearshaft that splits it's power.
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
That makes sense, I should've guessed the common gearshaft :P But, why isn't this tech used more?
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
and by micro UAV, do you mean the amazon-esque kind of UAVs?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
ShortsTheory
ShortsTheory
cute micro UAVs :)
i also read that intermeshing is superior to a coaxial system. MAKE A SUPERSONIC COAXIAL ROTORCRAFT FOR ME PLS!!
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
there's not even a supersonic copter yet...