Antar
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Antar, what do you mean by Achievement-based ladder, when you were explaining about the Elo system?
    Antar
    Antar
    I replied in the thread.
    Considering how far Pokemon has come since Pokemon BF, and how I've come to appreciate Smogon's tiers and metagame, would you like a rematch with fairer tiered Pokemon in X/Y? I feel that win on BF was a tad unbalanced. Plus, y'all need something to upload ;)
    Antar
    Antar
    Haha. I've actually just started up Gen VI content (was waiting for Pokebank's release, and besides, I haven't had much downtime recently). Anyway, yeah, we can have a rematch in X&Y. You don't do Little Cup by any chance, do you?
    CaptainSteve
    Although I don't really do Little Cup, it looks like it'd be quite fun to get into. I'll have to do all the research into the rules and such when I get back from my interview this evening, but given a week, I could make a LC-specific team. I've been going really heavy on Singles.
    Just saw that answer to Starmaster's post, and it made me wonder, will PU be official this gen? (please be no)
    Antar
    Antar
    highly unlikely. There's a lot of resistance to the idea among the SS.
    Hey, give me a ballpark range for the minimum # of battles you think it would tAke to calculate a dependable GXE RATING
    Aldaron
    Aldaron
    Ah...that is good to know. In my preliminary analysis of how I would implement a rating system, I used GXE, primarily because I know lots of people are big fans of it.

However, on the system I'm modeling right now, I'm not using it at all. I'm wondering how imperative it is we use GxE. Possibly only for matchmaking?
    Aldaron
    Aldaron
    The modeling on this system I've been doing is based around 1000 players starting at the default rating and then randomly playing other players, with the ranges of number of games played depending on my input. I also arbitrarily assign high rated players to play each other more based on a random probability number I decided.
    Antar
    Antar
    We should really talk. I definitely want more details about what you're doing.

GXE, imo, is the best single-value measure of a player's skill. And, as I found with COIL/ARMS, it's quite a useful value to keep track of.
    Hi Antar, do you have any idea when the rest of the tiers may be coming out? I understand it'll prob take a while and is a lot of work.
    Antar
    Antar
    My guess is that UU will be official within three months, at which point we'll start on Unofficial RU, and then on from there. We'll probably have a full tier list (OU down to PU) in a year.

But that's just a guess.
    Star
    Star
    cool thanks for the quick reply
    Hey Antar, are you going to make a Youtube video about each tier update in XY like you did in BW? I really liked those videos, especially since they gave a nice chronology of metagame changes, which made them fun to watch later and look back on.
    Antar
    Antar
    Yeah, probably. But there won't be any tier updates for quite some time--there's not even an official UU tier right now.
    Hey Antar is there anyway to extract the data on the which types of attacking moves are commonly used ? It'd be really useful to see which types the metagame favors and would help when building a defensive team. Thanks for everything you do
    Antar
    Antar
    I was recently asked to look into something for CAP called Very Good Moves, which is related to this. Stay tuned!
    Hey Antar, can you remind me if you or the OU mods are supposed to post the usage statistics in the OU forum? And thx for your hard work as always!
    Antar
    Antar
    No separate stats thread. But if you want a metagame trend/discussions thread, go for it and just link to the OPs.
    alexwolf
    alexwolf
    K, thx!
    Is there any way to see most-used statistics in real time, or I guess sooner than once a month?
    Antar
    Antar
    We've made a decision that we don't want to provide statistics on that sort of timescale, since they'd be prone to large deviations given the numbers involved.
    neooo
    neooo
    Gotcha, thanks for the quick response!
    Is the ELO system the same as the one used to rank chess players?
    Antar
    Antar
    sort of. We're using a modified version of Elo that does things like not letting Elo rating drop below 1000, and UCSF uses a sliding K-factor, which we have yet to implement. But at its core, yes, we're using the same rating system as is used for chess. For the record, Glicko was also developed for chess.
    T-Bolt
    T-Bolt
    Ah, thanks for the info.
    hey i want to see what preliminary ru would look like, when's that coming out? start of february?
    Antar
    Antar
    April. But just look at the UU stats for <3.41% if you want the roughest of rough pictures.
    Expulso
    Expulso
    Yeah; I meant, is UU in this month's usage stats?
    Antar
    Antar
    it will be, yes
    o wow hi mr antar i would like to play you in lc sometime while i use amaura since i dissapointed you on the ladder by not using amaura o.o
    "So, as I keep saying, W-L ratio is meaningless. Ideally everyone would have the same W-L ratio of 50%."
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I HAVE SAID THIS TO ALDARON SO MANY TIMES.
    Antar you are a genious. What's the secret? How do you consistently make acronyms that sound so good. Almost as impressive as the actual maths.
    Simply had to chime in when I heard you were working on a new ladder system. I'll keep it short. Three points:

1. PS's scoreboarding via ACRE was mainly broken because topping the ladder boiled down to producing a SMALL SAMPLE of battles from which the system would determine your possible skill level to be unrealistically high--much higher than if you'd played a few more battles. Please, please, please, try to...
    ...in your reply, so I do wonder what you think, though!

Third point is really just an extension of the W-L suggestion, making win percentage (and number of battles fought) not only appear on the ladder, but also optionally decide its order. A more objective alternate to the various rating systems, esp. relevant for the random tiers, I think. Example for points two...
    ...and three is that I do care about maintaining 75%< win percentage in random battle over hundreds of battles, and feel like that is something to be proud of, and even marvel at , when others (get close to) do--and this information is hard to find bco no W-L on ladder (my point). Keeping a sweet ACRE or the like, that I don’t care about nearly as much...
    ...There’s also W-L’s timelessness and easier-for-comparison. Man, W-L is so good, I wish you felt like this too. Anything I can do to push this harder?

Thanks a lot for replying, appreciate it.
    Hi, I seem to have trouble posting in the forums. IDK if it's just my computer, but the box won't let me type anything into it. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help.
    Edit: Wrong Department... can you direct me to where I can get help? :3
    I have an account (Adrian BH) it's at 77-3 but the problem is for some reason it's not getting out of provisional, it's getting harder and harder for me to lower my deviation.
    I also want to update my RMT as soon as i'm out of provisional, I also noticed many high ranking players in the ladder have a terrible win/loss ratio. Would it be possible to fix my accounts condition without purposely losing? Thank You
    Can I talk to you about the ladder on IRC? I'd rather not clog up the thread when right now I primarily have questions about things, and want to implement a different system than the other tiers, which requires less stringent requirements.
    Antar
    Antar
    Hey, I doubt I'll have time to get on IRC any time soon, but if you want to shoot me a PM, I'll answer when I can. I was thinking I'd just dial one of the params for LC so that everything scaled down (fewer battles to reach reqs). It's pretty simple to do.
    Joim specifically asked me to gauge the community's reaction
    Antar
    Antar
    Have him message me, but caps are something that have been tried in the past and have never worked right. The algorithm I posted is the only way to ensure that highly rated players don't end up not being able to battle anyone.
    Texas Cloverleaf
    Texas Cloverleaf
    He trusts your judgement, I'm a little miffed in the manner in which the thread was shut down
    Antar
    Antar
    I'm sorry. I could've handled that better.
    Yea, didn't think my one post was "WHY IS X NOT OU? IT DESERVES TO BE OU." but looking back on it, it definitely was. Sorry bout that.
    Hello, Antar! I saw your pokemon generator in your signature and I thought it was cool. But there's one problem that's happening. Every time I c/p my team into the sim2pkm program, this happens: http://prntscr.com/2fnnws and the team doesn't save where it's supposed to. Do you know why this is happening?
    Antar
    Antar
    This is a known problem. You need to manually edit the paste to replace "Ability" with "Trait." It's been fixed in the code, and one of these days I'll compile and release the fixed version.
    Logic
    Logic
    Ah, okay! Thank you and great job making the program :) Keep up the good work!
    For some reason, your name reminds me of anthrax(the band).
    Antar
    Antar
    Well happy new year to you too.
    Kingler
    Kingler
    happy new year ^_^
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…