Nix_Hex
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I found a typo in your page, "All About Stats, Training, and Breeding in RBY / GSC", where it is stated that female pokemon under the 1:1 Gender Ratio can have an Attack DV between 0 and 6. It should instead be between 0 and 7 to be half female (0 to 7), half male (8 to 15). Here is a female Hoppip I bred earlier today with an Attack DV of 7.
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Thanks! I edited the article, gotta wait for staff to approve it though. Glad this article still gets views, it's kinda surreal seeing it linked to on old gen subreddits and on glitchcity when I don't contribute to any of those places.
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    All done
    just so you know I still listen to Leviathan by Torrent occasionally
    shnen
    And what's the situation with Torrent?
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Only Pokemon-related thing I'm doing is Crystal Battle Tower. I think since the last time I spoke to you I was in grad school, I'm working full time now. Torrent is a memory. Everyone is in different states and married/engaged (except me hah) and either work full-time or are involved in other musical projects. I still text with those guys all the time though, they're great.
    shnen
    Ah cool man, glad to see you're still alive and well haha! Torrent may be but a memory but it will live forevermore in all our hearts.
    loooooooool amazing avatar
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    who knew that 19 years later that song would turn into a meme
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    btw Ryan Martinie is in a top 10 bassist for me. I know you're not too into heavy stuff but he's an absolute mad man on L.D. 50.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    it was a meme in 2012 too
    dude hope you're doing well
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Hey buddy. Things are weird, life is changing but it goes on. I guess that means I'm good. How've you been?
    Redew
    Redew
    Sorry to hear it's been weird :( You got this, man! I've been fairly good recently. School is about to end so that's nice. I'm ready for summer.
    Idk if your ct is a reference to the lonely island or if I’m just being dumb but threw it on the ground is a good song
    Found out I was supposed to do "rest strokes" so I tried it and it so frustrating I started playing with a pick and all of a sudden I knew how to play with a pick

still wanna learn how to rest strokes but fuck it's hard. any exercise tips ?
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    so your fingers just go into the air rather than into the above string
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    they go to the above string but i've never thought about it. It's the default action (thanks to inertia). Making them go into the air would require effort with no payoff, at least for what i'm playing.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    right, but on other string instruments, like guitar for example, you want them to go into the air so that was just what i was used to

rest strokes are way better anyway since it makes the sound more powerful. plus it helps you mute the sympathetic vibrations
    Alice in chains is a great band, that is all. carry on now.
    \m/
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Yeah they're awesome. I got through my teen angst years by listening to Junkhead and all of self-titled and realizing "hey, it could be worse, I could be addicted to heroin and destroying my life."
    Have you ever used short-scale bass? Is it hard to adjust to?

Right now I play a Fender Jazz Bass and it is hard on my small hands, but not unbearable. I get used to it after a while.

I'm planning to get a Chowny and they come in either 31" or 34" (same as Fender). Is it is a good idea to get a shorter one? Do you have any experience with that
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    I despise that jingle lol, if I'm watching at home and I forget to stop the stream, the jingle comes on at like 3x the volume of everything else haha
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    lol. are there any more permanent recordings of you playing I can watch?
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    Just ordered, it should get here around May so I'll let you know how it is then :D
    RIP Suggestion Box
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    My thoughts and prayers should go out to it. I think that'd be good for smogon
    Redew
    Redew
    Let's suggest it back
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    my favorite thread on smogon was in suggestion box. But I mean the guy who made it got spam cleaned ages before suggestion box got deleted anyway so :(
    are you a fan of pickup covers by the way? they look so bad in my opinion. also that's about where i like to pluck
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Never seen them. They cover the entire pickup? I'd have to research the physics of covering a magnet and if different materials cause different tones.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    I think it might do something but the main reason was just because it looks nice. Maybe to prevent schmutz from getting into the pickups too
    should you ever play open strings if you can avoid it? is it always better to just play the note on the string under?
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    why is that?
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Thought about it after I posted it lol, it's the opposite direction that's bad. You have to choke out the D string as soon as you play the C (unless you want a 2nd interval that low on the scale which will sound super muddy). It's more effort than its worth, and virtually no payoff.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    lol yeah that's what I was saying. but if you're playing up the scale, the next note will be on the D string anyway so is it bad to just play open and then the E will "mute" the original open D?

You know I just answered my own question: if you play the D on the same string as the C, you can use the exact same pattern to play any major scale anywhere so it's better to learn it that way
    You ever play with a pick? Man it's a lot harder to play quickly with it. I wonder if it's a style choice or something everyone should know even if it's not their main technique.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    lol maybe the death was staged so he could go into hiding
    brightobject
    brightobject
    no ones ever seen ur dad and jaco in the same place. it all fits
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    He was tall, lean, and strong, and for someone who played sports the name "Jocko" fit. His thumbs were double jointed and his fingers were long and thin.[2][8]
    What do you think about wearing gloves while playing bass for someone (me) who suffers from extreme sweatiness especially in the hands / doesn't want calluses / wants to keep nails long for other purposes. Does that affect plucking at all? Marching Band gloves for example.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    damn well this was almost a nice moment
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    The nicest moments for a musician who plays stringed instruments is when they see beautiful, bulbous calluses building up on their fingers. Gloves don't allow for that.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    Don't worry, I still play without it
    Yo how do you play bass without gigantic hands? In one song I have to go from fret E-2 to D-4 in eighth notes at like 165 BPM and my pinky socket is in pain
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Lol I just read eigth notes. Keep your left hand placed (you don't need to move it unless you're literally Barbie), let the right hand do the muting.
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    Caramelldansen ahaha
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    transitioning from ukulele to bass guitar was quite dramatic
    I'll be teaching secondary school (equivalent to Grade 6-12 so I guess middle + high school). Also I agree, physics is such a misunderstood subjects so it will be fun trying to get students to not be intimidated by it and enjoy it
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    There will be the really bright ones and then you'll have a good chunk that just don't get it. Don't get discouraged, STEM is not easy to teach but it is rewarding
    bruh I saw your post and if I wasn't super fucking awkward I would have responded in that thread but too bad here's a vm also stay cool
    Nix_Hex
    Nix_Hex
    Omg please tell me i mentioned you ;_;
    Shii
    Shii
    wat yes you did lmfao
    Hulavuta
    Hulavuta
    hi q:^)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…