Starcraft: Brood War

I don't think anyone will complain about just having the usual rules that work in pro games and on iccup and all that. Stop/hold lurkers are fine, obs over turret is fine... allied mines is not though (and won't even work on some maps anyway), flying drone, hatchery bug, that kind of thing, all banned.

As for the map pool, the bunch of us who hang around in IRC suggest:

Heartbreak Ridge
Fighting Spirit
Match Point
Python / Grand Line (we prefer Grand Line, but some people like Python a lot of course..)
Andromeda

Other maps we mentioned among ourselves that are worth noting:

Othello
Eye of the Storm
Chupung-Ryeong
Destination

Just some food for thought. We tried to come up with solid balanced maps that were mostly standard and didn't have a ton of silly tricks (like Monty Hall) or weird pathing you have to get used to (like Blue Storm). You can use Liquipedia (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/) to check out maps you might not know/remember.

Sorry I haven't been around, I'm in West Virginia for a funeral and don't have access to just about anything.

Those rules are fine with me, I really doubt most of us could do that stuff on the fly anyway, so looks good.

Either Python/LT are a must imo, just due to the level of most of us. Personally I'm a big fan of Othello and Destination, so that seems fine. We should definitely try to get at least one 2-player map, a 3-player and a 4-player to keep things interesting.

It's nice to see people getting into this, I don't organize tourneys and such very often, particularly for online games, so any help is appreciated.

Othello is fine, and for a 3-player map I'd suggest Longinus.

I'd help with organizing it more if I had a better timezone and wouldn't still have a few exams, so I'll leave it to the other people to help for now.

I can help organize if someone figures out a format because I don't really know if there's something unique to Starcraft that makes certain tournament formats better than others. also, I'm really bad at the game... probably E- if that were to exist. but I'm online frequently!

as matty already said you don't have to download mIRC to get on IRC; you don't even need to get Firefox -- go to http://www.mibbit.com, select SynIRC from the drop-down menu, enter your nickname and #starcraft, and you're good to go. IRC probably isn't really necessary for the tournament, though, because I'd imagine it would be easier to contact opponents through normal means (basically like how opponents for Pokemon tournaments get in contact with each other).

Really it will probably be best to do a standard format tournament with bo3 matches (and bo5 for semis/final), just because the other formats used in professional SC require more players to be around at the same time. Logistically it's probably better we don't require 4 people to all find the right time to meet up for an hour or two. Now, I have seen Swiss-style brackets before as well, but only when there are quite a few players that need to be separated into groups anyway.

So for map pool I'm liking:

HBR
Fighting Spirit
Othello
Match Point
Python

Longinus will surely be vetoed by non-terran players, and most of the other 3 player maps aren't easy to play on (Medusa, Outsider, etc). Tau Cross might work, if we really need a 3 player map.

Match point and HBR should cover the 2 player map field, unless you guys have any problems with them. I'd love to put Blue Storm here, but as I said before the pathing on the map takes some getting used to (to say the least).

Python isn't well liked by the IRC crowd, but I'm willing to override that because it's really not a bad map - it's just been overplayed.

Perhaps we could do something like... 6 maps total, both players veto one, and the remaining 4 are played, with a random one played twice (games 1 and 5). For the bo3s we could do a random 3 maps per round.

Is there any good editors that would allow me to change unit properties. For example, make the queen a grounded unit with a ranged attack? If so that would be amazing.

I still really want to, despite my recent absence...switched apartments and had to get internet hooked up, and I'm glad to see I didn't miss it. If we do decide this is going to happen we should shoot for before 7/27 for obvious reasons.

unless this tourney can be done over this weekend, I probably won't be able to play as I'll have some very important exams at the end of this month. either way, try PM'ing everyone again asap, or this tourney won't be possible in 4 days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)