Originally Posted by Fat zarator
I don't know if it qualifies, but I think ASB is the ideal ruleset for a gym league. There are several reasons for this:
1) Reduced impact of weaknesses/resistances: Due to the way damage is calculated, running all Pokémon of the same type is not much of a disadvantage as it is in the cart game
2) Arena managing: Since I guess the gym leader would be the one designing the arena, he could easily take advantage of running a mono-type team. Let's say for example someone runs a mono-Fire team. Packing a Water or Ground mon may seem an easy win, but if the arena is a series of volcanic peaks, beating that Charizard may be a bit harder than it would look at first.
3) Wide movepools: In ASB, a Fire-type's Gym leader will always have Thunderbolt on his Magmortar, or Solarbeam on pretty much his entire team. Sure, the same works for the challenger too, but in the end it generally evens the field out to the advantage of the gym leader.
There are other points you could think of, but I think this will suffice.
Anyway, my first idea was the following. After someone reaches a certain number of battles done (and, obviously, a certain number of victories too), he can apply to become a gym leader. In order to be a gym leader, though, there should be a certain number of criteria to be respected, like:
- Having a mono-typed team (maybe you can allow for a wildcard?)
- Defining a precise arena and set of clauses to be used in all gym matches (the clauses can be either the same for all gyms or vary from gym to gym, I'm not sure)
After that, you could allow players to challenge a gym in a specific thread, obviously limiting the number of challenges you can issue to the same gym to, say, 1 per week. Then we could even create an Elite Four, with a Champion. I'm not sure about which rewards should challengers get for their successes, though. And there would be another problem with a possibly excessive number of people qualifying to be gym leaders (we don't want 232423 gym leaders right?). Maybe the latter problem could be fixed enforcing a certain w/l/t ratio alongside the min number of battles, but it could easily become quite difficult to become a gym leader.
What do you guys think?
EDIT: @Rediamond: I spoke to DK a while before Red, you're right
Just realize that it isn't necessarily good
to use an entire team of the same type, particularly if it has poor defenses (I'm learning this the hard way-my team has two double fire weaks, since I had the semi-bright idea to abuse Tail Glow Syclar and back it with Snover to give it Blizzard. The downside is that whenever I get faced with a Fire-type, I have to be VERY careful. Syclar has Earth Power, but yeah. [The good side is epic Blizzard spam.])
(Btw, I'd be willing to synthesize some Dojo items.)
Soil Colossus Incorporated
Creative design thread.
"Welcome to Soil Colossus Incorporated, where your battling dreams come true! With the aid of our many skilled Dugtrio, Colossoil, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Heatmor, and Excadrill workers, we build arenas to boggle the mind! Try haunted mansions, rainforest canopies, or even a Combee hive! You can even sign up for our company and come up with professional arena designs! Call 123-THI-SNU-MBE-RIS-FAKE today for a free trial!"
Basically an arena design thread. People can pick a pre-designed arena if they want to. It would also help for standardizing tourney battles-a well-balanced playing field could be selected. Also, it would allow us to rate battlefields-the most interesting and balanced ones can win Trainer Counters.