Have you ever wanted to watch
a Pokemon Online replay instead of just reading it?
I have, and I spent the last week developing an app that does just that:
- More sound effects
- Show HP, status, and species of pokemon in pokeballs
- Saving settings
- Pausing idle animations when pausing everything else
- Redesigned start and end screens
Recent updates (earliest to latest):
- Better move animations for punching, biting, and kicking moves
- "Recent replays" list is now newest-to-oldest, and only shows newest 200ish replays (there's a separate "all" button for all of them)
- Move animations for Night Slash, Shadow Claw; placeholder animations for many other moves
- A background
- Perspective "3D-like" effects
- Lots more animated back sprites
- Move animations for Wild Charge, Thunder Fang, Bug Buzz, Sucker Punch
- Color scheme chooser
- Basic background music support
- Support for IE7 and IE8
- Fix for a few crashes on IE9 and some old versions of Firefox
- Aqua Ring is now supported
- Move animations for Safeguard, Seed Flare, Air Slash, Air Cutter
- Redesigned replay footer
- More support for PO's newest replay format
It looks something like this:
It's not completely done yet, but it works perfectly or near-perfectly on around 90% of the replays I've tested it on. It tends to work better on ladder/tournament replays than Challenge Cup replays, since the pool of competitively viable moves is much smaller than the complete pool of moves.
Here's an example replay: http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Eth...ei--2011-08-13
It shows off weather and Bounce animations. It doesn't show off my Substitute animations, but I assure you those are also pretty awesome.
Q: Some pokemon don't have animated back-sprites.
A: Only around 80% of pokemon have animated back-sprites at the moment. For the ones that don't, there's nothing I can do about that. Go rip the GIF yourself or something. :/
Q: Pain Split, Wish, Life Orb, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Shell Bell, recoil, or draining damage/healing is being calculated incorrectly, and/or, Regenerator and Natural Cure healing aren't working!
A: You're using a replay from
an old a buggy version of Pokemon Online, which doesn't contain this information. The replayer tries to guess the best it can, but it can sometimes be off by a bit. Please update to the latest version of Pokemon Online. complain to Pokemon Online about why they haven't fixed it yet.
In particular, if Life Orb isn't showing up or Stealth Rock is being calculated incorrectly, you're using a very, very old version of Pokemon Online and should really upgrade.
Q: Sometimes, when a pokemon uses Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, or Circle Throw, the sprite for an opposing nicknamed pokemon doesn't appear.
A: You're using a replay from an old version of Pokemon Online, which doesn't contain this information. The replayer tries to guess the best it can, but if the replay doesn't contain this information, there's nothing it can do. Please update to the latest version of Pokemon Online.
Q: I'm getting the error "This does not appear to be a valid Pokemon Online replay". What's wrong?
A: It's not a valid PO replay. Most likely, you're copy-and-pasting a battle log into a file. You can't do that.
You must use a replay file saved using the "save log" feature of PO. Here's a video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITN1X7dNFU
Q: What about Pokemon Showdown replays?
A: That's planned for the future revamp! Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath, since I have a lot of other things I want to do first.
Q: I have a feature request!
A: Cool! If it's not on the list of feature requests I'll never implement, post it to this thread! I might not implement it, but I'll explain why I will and won't. :)
Here's a list of feature requests I will never implement:
- Better calculation of Pain Split, recoil, Wish, Stealth Rock, or Leech Seed damage/healing on old Pokemon Online replays, or detection of Regenerator/Natural Cure/Life Orb.
-- I know this can be improved, but the guessing algorithms are pretty good already, and since it works perfectly with the latest version of Pokemon Online, it's a lot of work just to slightly improve support for an outdated replay format.
- Stat boosts in the form of "+3 Atk"
-- There are a lot of people arguing both sides. BlueKirby, coyotte508, and I all think the "2.5x Atk" format is better, so that's the format I'm using for now. Having an option for something this minor really isn't feasible. Sorry. :(
Q: I found a bug, now what?
A: Make sure it's not discussed earlier in the FAQ. If it isn't, report it to this thread, and remember: If you are reporting a bug, please give a link to a relevant replay.