Originally Posted by Fat above post
This guy only has 3 counters. That's the main reason why I would consider Durant broken. .
I have to use one of three pokemon in order to provide a full stop to an important threat without having to resort to one of the many checks, therefore it deserves to be permanently banned from RU!
Okay, I would like to know when the "no counters=broken" argument faded and the "3 counters and plenty of checks=broken" argument became standard. As far as I'm concerned, if this metagame is balanced as is, there's no need to modify it.
First, Durant can switch into very, very little. Let's look at the 1337 stats and see what Durant can switch into:
1. Hitmonchan: no
2. Entei: have fun with that
3. Slowking: Scald does >60%, any offensive variants roast it.
4. Sceptile: outsped and killed.
5. Uxie: avoid Thunder Wave and you're good
6. Cofagrigus: can't switch in, can barely 2KO
7. Spiritomb: only on CB/RestTalk sets.
8. Sharpedo: LOL
9. Sigilyph: Can't switch in on Psycho Shift or Air Slash on the offensive set
10. Aerodactyl: You're not switching in on Stone Edge
11. Roselia: Avoid Sleep Powder and yeah
12. Rotom: resists your STABs, Scarf outspeeds, Thunderbolt OHKOs with Rocks
13. Moltres: nah
14. Feraligatr: bad idea man
15. Rotom-C: Only on Scarf Leaf Storm. You can't tank a Volt Switch
16. Butterfree: +1 Bug Buzz OHKOs and outspeeds. LOL
17. Probopass: Traps, paralyzes, kills. You probably won't land two hits with paralysis.
18. Claydol: Earth Power hurts but you should be fine
19. XLGor: Offensive kills, Lead can Final Gambit, Sub can wait for a miss.
20. Aggron: no
As you can see, though little can switch into Durant, Durant can switch into even less. It acts as a revenge killer in most cases, coming in on a kill to recapture momentum. It even has multiple counters and an ability that shoots itself in the foot. Baton Pass variants aren't that special as they usually can only pass one boosting move.
If we lower the bar for banning this low, I can think of a few other pokemon in other tiers who might need to leave too...