Mar 20th, 2012, 3:59:06 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004
A tardy response to jrrrrrrr's Gengar update:
Checks and Counters
- I feel like you went a little overboard with this. With the nerf, Explosion is not worthy of a mention, especially with Gengar luring in Steel- and Tyranitar like a magnet.
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain is not really for TTar, but more for Gastrodon who would otherwise wall Gengar. I guess it is also useful for hitting Politoed harder.
- You could mention Thunder alongside Thunderbolt for a powerful coverage move in the rain.
- Wisp should have a bigger emphasis in its ability to cripple Gengar's usual counters, Scizor, Tyranitar, and Jirachi, rendering them to be set-up bait for Gengar's offensive partners.
- You should note that Sucker Punch is an unreliable priority against Gengar, since Gengar can easily put up a Substitute.
- For Conkeldurr and Tentacruel, mention that they can screw over Disable Gengar by using Mach Punch or Protect to prevent Gengar from Disable-ing Payback or Scald
- Bulky Water-types in general are good options against Gengar, as they can tank a Shadow Ball rather effortlessly. Such Pokemon include Gastrodon, Politoed, Vaporeon, and aforementioned Tentacruel.
- I would add Tornadus in a list of Pokemon that is faster than Gengar.