Join Date: Feb 2011
Hi. This was brought up in the SOTG, but then SOTG died before people looked at it, I think. I truly believe an ASB dex / ASB mon analyses is a beneficial thing, as it can help both new users and veterans pick out additions to their teams, expand
diversity in ASB, etc.
Originally Posted by Fat Leethoof
I'd like to bring up this idea I had, and it doesn't really fit in the RP thread, so I'll post it here.
The Pokemon Review Center
In this thread, users can submit reviews of their favorite pokemon, to help both newbies and veterans shopping around for new additions to their team. The review will be consisted of two parts: a "quick-look" and the in-depth explanation. The quick-look will have specific ratings on three important parts of an ASB mon: Offense, Defense, and Support, rated from a range of horrible, poor, average, good, great. The in-depth explanation would be where the author can explain the ins and outs of using the mon, its strengths and weaknesses, pointing out notable moves, etc.
Perhaps a commitee or some kind of QC/GP team for ASB could be established to ensure the quality of these reviews.
Take a guess
90 / 2 / 7 / 2 / 5 / 30
Bastiodon, often the forgotten of the trio of rock-/steel-types, is actually a formidable Pokemon. Its offensive stats of 2/2 are pretty much terrible, but either of these can easily be boosted with a -speed nature, such as Quiet or Brave. It's offensive movepool is excellent, featuring Fire Blast, Thunder, and Blizzard on the special side, as well as EdgeQuake on the physical side, giving it virtually perfect coverage with a few MC invested into it. Its terrible stats and excellent movepool balance out to make Bastiodon fairly average offensively.
Defensively, its stellar 7/5 Stats are made worse by the fact that only has 90 HP. This may seem to be a major problem, especially with the fact of its two 4x weaknesses. However, its massive defenses (and Sturdy!) shore these up, especially with its fantastic defensive movepool. Counter and Metal Burst make your opponent wary of spamming super-effective attacks, while Wide Guard and Magnet Rise can help with earthquake and friends. It also has the standard Protect, Endure, and Substitute, which can increase Bastiodon's survivability if used smartly! Its good stats, mediocre typing, and good movepool make Bastiodon a good Pokemon defensively.
Supporting wise, Bastiodon has a few notable tricks. It has Taunt and Torment, two of the most useful moves in CAP ASB, though they are not used very well due to Bastiodon's slow speed. It also has the powerful Stealth Rocks, extremely useful in larger battles, and Roar to abuse hazards, as well as the previously mentioned Wide Guard. However, its has nothing exceptional support-wise, so it remains average in this category.
Some other tips on using Bastiodon:
- Its Dream World ability Soundproof makes it immune to Perish Song (among other things), so feel free to use Perish Song in a double battle with an ally!
- Bastiodon's immunity to poison, being mostly special-based, not minding the speed drop from paralysis, and Soundproof to give it immunity to most sleep-inducing moves make it fare very well against status abusers.
- With the combination of Taunt and Metal Burst, Bastiodon can force the opponent to attack while it sits back and reflects the damage. Be careful of Dig and negative priority combos (and the very rare slower mon), though, as Metal Burst has 0 priority!
Edit: Lou also thinks 'mon of the week' is a good idea, so we'd probably have to decide as a community which we'd rather have.
And there was also Lou's idea:
I'll propose what I thought Leethoof was originally talking about. Imagine, if you will, the following thread:
Thread: (Data) Mon of the Week - Volcarona
Originally Posted by Fat Douche
Mon of the Week
Review the following mon:
Flame Body | Swarm (DW)
- What roles does this mon fill? Offensive, supportive, or a blend? How diverse is this mon in its playstyle?
- What are this mon's selling points? What makes it preferable when compared to competition for the same role?
- What are some of this mon's "must-have" moves? Which moves open up new avenues or playstyles when purchased?
- What are some of this mon's failings? What holds it back, or makes it unsuitable for use in certain situations?
- What counters this mon? What can this mon do to fight back against its counters?
Originally Posted by Fat Other Douche
- I've found Volcarona to be a deceptively diverse mon. Her stats and Generation V status suggest a vanilla beatdown attacker, but a couple of key moves let her perform as a bulky tank, rain attacker, doubles or triples support, or some other more niche roles. She's certainly capable of surprising unwary foes.
- The first things that stand out are Volcarona's stats—blistering Special Attack, above-average defenses, and comparitively high speed. Fire typing gives her powerful STABs to abuse, and access to instant recovery, possible 100/4/4 bulk, and the constant threat of burn make her a convincing defensive piece, on top of her powerful offensive presence.
Originally Posted by Fat Less Verbose Douche
- She can attack while tanking, and can function in Sun or Rain well.
- High SpA, powerful STABs, great bulk and speed, unique typing and helpful abilities.
- Fire STABs, Morning Sun, Light Screen, SolarBeam, and Endure.
- The Rock weakness is killer, stopping things from walling stuff she'd otherwise be a complete stop to.
- Regirock is the closest thing to a guaranteed stop; high special defense and Rock STAB help bring her down, but burn is unpleasant.
I'd finish this, but you get the idea already.
Either way, one of these should defenitely become a part of ASB.
My ASB Hipster Index is: 5.26
(Probably lower than yours!)