1st OU Team

First Team:
This is my first ever OU competitive team so I am not too experienced. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.
Team:
Jolteon -

Nature: Hasty / Ability: Volt Absorb
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EV: 255 spd 255 sp.atk
Moves:
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
Jolteon is my main lead as it is just an overall sweet pokemon. With base 130 spd this thing will be out running pretty much every single non-scarfed poke in the metagame. That blistering speed backed up by a solid base 110 sp.atk is amazing, especially with specs. Thunderbolt over Thunder for accuracy, T-Wave for slowing down pokemon for the rest of the team and stopping scarfed threats, Volt Switch to keep offensive momentum and Shadow Ball for some coverage and to not be walled by other electric types. Scarf to out speed other scarfed pokemon.

Dragonite –

Nature: Adamant / Ability: Multiscale
Item: Leftovers
EV: 252 hp 252 atk 4 spd
Moves:
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Roost
This Dragonite set is mean to be a tank/sweeper, able to take some hits, especially with its mulitiscale, and then hit back way harder. Dragon Claw is to stop steel types coming in on a locked Outrage, D.Dance for boosting speed and already high atk. Fire Punch is for the omniscient Ferrothorn and Roost is to endure sweeps and to reactivate its multiscale.

Blastoise:

Nature: Calm / Ability: Torrent
EV: 252 hp 4 def 252 sp.def
Moves:
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Roar
- Scald
Pretty obvious set here. This bulky turtle is here for tanking some obvious ice beams/ice fangs aimed at dragonite and gliscor. As well as being able to that, Blastoise can spin out some unwanted hazards that can ruin dragonite and annoy others. Toxic is to help stall other bulk and roar is to phase out boosters and just shuffle deck. Roar over Dragon Tail as it can go through subs. Scald is for some decent stab damage and to hope for some burn hax to cripple physical attackers and help out with Blastoises lower physical defense.

Gliscor:

Nature: Jolly / Ability: Poison Heal
Item: Toxic Orb
EV: 4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
Moves:
- Earthquake
- Façade
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
Gliscor is a great addition to this team. With a good natural bulk he can help wall some of the omnipresent fighting types in the tier. With EQ gliscor can deal out some impressive damage. After being poisoned, Gliscor has a solid base 140 power move in Facade for levitators and the like. Swords Dance can boost an impressive atk stat to sky high levels. Baton Pass is there for a better way of switching and still keeping that +2 or higher.

Ferrothorn:

Nature: Relaxed / Ability: Iron Barbs
EV: 120 hp 255 def 135 sp.def
Moves:
- Stealth Rocks
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
One of the standard Ferrothorn sets. Get up some Stealth Rocks, heal off any damage with Leech Seed and then either hit hard with Gyro Ball or Power Whip for whatever gives you more damage. Mixed Ev spread for bulk, relaxed nature for bringing down speed to boost Gyro Ball. Will not bee outspeeding anything so it does not matter. Air Balloon just for another immunity.

Mienshao:

Nature: Jolly / Ability: Regenerator
Item: Life Orb
EV 4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
Moves:
- Fake Out
- U Turn
- Stone Edge
- High Jump Kick
This guy is UN_REAl. Life Orb gives nice boost on all hits. Fake Out to get off some damage and then a U Turn to get out of walls ways. This will mean full hp next switch. Stone Edge and High Jump Kick for powerful stab or super effective moves. Hit and run pretty much all the way.

Working on fixing Ferrothron's EV spread. If anyone could give me a better Ferrothorn that would be much appreciated.

Hello.

This is a decent team, except for a few problems.

Problem #1: dragonite is meant to be a tank, not a sweeper, at least according to you. As you don't have anything to hurt steels, you should be able to switch as soon as they come in. To that end, I would recommend dragon claw over outrage. This will help because if a heatran switches into an outrage, it usually doesn't end well for the dragonite, especially when heatran has hp ice.

Problem #2: Tentacruel is probably better than blastoise. Tentacruel can rapid spin, as well as setting up toxic spikes. This would be a decent asset to your team, as dragonite can stall with roost, Ferrothorn can just sit there and be a punching bag without dying while their hp ticks down because he has great defenses, and mienshao can fake out for an extra turn of poison damage.

Problem #3: Ferrothorn needs a more useful item. Air balloon is very redundant, considering he is meant to take hits, meaning he will get hit with a lot of stuff. Also, you already have two flying types. To this end, I agree with pokemaster in saying that you should change your item to rocky helmet or leftovers.

A couple of nitpicks/problems I have with the RMT
#1: You spelled ferrothorn and Mienshao wrong. This really isn't a problem, but I am picky about grammar. You incorrectly spelled Ferrothorn as ferrethorn. You also incorrectly spelled Mienshao as Meinshao. Sorry if that sounds mean or something, but I am picky about grammar, and I believe this will help your RMT attract more people. (maybe)

#2: You have no sprites or anything to make your team catch anyone's eye. There isn't anything much worse than a wall of text when it comes to stuff to evaluate, and I think adding sprites or pictures to the RMT will make it more attractive.

Overall, I think these suggestions will make your RMT and Pokemon much better if you edit them in.

Nice team. I would use either rocky helmet or leftovers. I agree with the others. Lol. Btw, I'm looking for a female swift swim poliwag, poliwhirl, or drizzle politoed. Please send me a message if anyone is willing to trade. Nature is no concern

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello and welcome to Smogon!

First up, simple fixes to Pokemon that can stay. Jolteon's nature should be Timid, and Thunder Wave should be replaced with an offensive move. Ferrothorn should have Leftovers or Rocky Helmet and should use Thunder Wave over one of its offensive moves, and the EV spread should be changed. Dragonite has to choose between Extremespeed and Roost - using both on a Dragon Dance set just lets you get walled more quickly. Instead of one of these moves, Fire Punch can be run to deal with Ferrothorn, or Earthquake for Tyranitar. If it uses Extremespeed, use Leftovers; likewise, use a Lum Berry with Roost.

Now for something more complicated - replace Blastoise. Blastoise isn't the best choice for a bulky Water-type in this metagame, and his role as a Rapid Spinner isn't really needed too much. I recommend replacing it with a Jellicent. Jellicent is an excellent team supporter and wall. Its typing and ability give it immunities to Water and Fighting attacks, two omnipresent types in OU. Jellicent also has a better movepool, with Will-O-Wisp and Recover.

Mienshao looks pretty good, and the Gliscor set is a neat idea.
Jolteon
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
Item: Choice Specs
EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ice / Signal Beam
-Volt Switch

Dragonite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Multiscale
Item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Punch / Earthquake
-Extremespeed / Roost

Jellicent
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
-Surf / Scald
-Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt

Ferrothorn
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip / Gyro Ball
Good luck!

Yeah, putting in either Jellicent or Tentacruel might work better, but I want to try out my Blastoise a bit first. I will probably choose Tentacruel over Jellicent as it can spin and set up hazards. Also, Blastoise is more original and it will be cool if he really works out well. Thanks for the great advice, already made some changes.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Hey, there Gamin99, welcome to Smogon! I'm just correcting your EV's spreads first, then I'll rate your team later!

Correct EV Spreads

The first thing I notice about your team is that your EV spreads on Jolteon and Ferrothorn are incorrect. 4 EV's = 1 point increase in a stat. As you can see, EV spreads of 255, and 135 are not multiples of 4. Be sure that your EV spreads are multiples of 4.

Since you're running Choice Scarf Jolteon, the EV's shouldn't be 252 SpD; it should be 252 Spe. SpD = Special Defense and Spe = Speed. (I got those two stats mixed up before, also. XD) Visit the BW EV Guide for more info. By the way, the EV spreads on Jolteon should be 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, since you're running Choice Scarf.

The EV spreads I recommend on Ferrothorn are 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD because your Ferro is Standard.

Edit and correct your EV spreads first, and later I'll do a full rate on your team! Hope I helped!

Hey welcome to Smogon. A few small changes I would recommend:
First of all, change Thunder wave to HP Ice on your Jolteon. It hits much better that way, and you don't need it on him because he's so fast anyways. Also, I'm going to agree with MavsObbession and say that your ev's need to be multiples of 4 so you're not wasting any. This would mean Jolteon's ev's should be 4 hp/252 spA/252 spe. You get 4 extra ev's to use this way as opposed to putting 255 in speed and special attack.
Also, with Dragonite I'd recommend making the ev spread 252 hp/44 att/212 speed. I personally would use 252 hp/44 att/212 speed to maintain the same bulk you wanted while also being able to set up and then sweep. The speed ev's let him outrun choice scarf politoed after one and choice scarf landorus after 2, which is pretty important as either could revenge kill pretty easily w/ ice beam or hp ice/stone edge
Good luck with the team!

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
All right, now that I'm back, I can rate your team!

Problems

Your team is pretty solid in general, but when you look into the movesets, there are a couple of problems that need to be fixed. Your team will do well in OU, but you have to tweak the movesets a little bit.

Solutions

HP Ice > Thunder Wave on Jolteon. Like everyone else has mentioned, Jolteon can already outspeed many non-scarfed Pokemon in the OU metagame; Thunder Wave isn't necessary, as Jolteon is fast enough to outspeed almost anyone. HP Ice is a good replacement, as it gives Jolteon more coverage, taking out threats such as opposing DD Dragonite.

I prefer you use an Offensive Dragon Dance set on Dragonite, if you want it to be more of a sweeper. If not, stick with your Bulky Dragon Dance set for more of a tank.

Offensive DD Nite

Dragonite @ Lum Berry | Multiscale
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw / Fire Punch / Earthquake

Dragon Claw > Outrage because your opponent will most likely switch into a Steel-type Pokemon knowing that Dragonite is locked into Outrage. If he does have threatening OU mons such as Jirachi and Heatran, Earthquake from D-Nite will easily OHKO them. +1 Extremespeed is also a good option to pick off faster Pokemon.

Offensive DD Nite is a good choice, but your Bulky DD Nite set is great as well; it's your choice whether Dragonite is a sweeper or a tank.

As for your Blastoise, keep it for now, but Tentacruel is also a good check as it can set up Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin entry hazards as well.

Ferrothorn should at least have Protect to retain more HP from Leech Seed and Leftovers after taking a solid hit. You can decide whether you want to replace Gyro Ball or Power Whip for Protect, but just know that Gyro Ball is for faster threats, and Power Whip is for Water-types and slow Pokemon. Spikes > Stealth Rock because Ferrothorn can survive long enough to set up Spikes three times.

Your team is solid, hope you do well with it! Don't forget to change your EV spreads, BTW.

Your Jolteon doen't cover its weaknesses very well, maybe consider giving it hidden power ice or water to hit ground types.

Overall, good team combos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)