May 31st, 2012, 12:28:46 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
to do the fastest run for B/W, here's some tips:
- you can't use only one pokemon; you have to use at least two due to the XP formula hindering overleveled Pokemon but boosting underleveled.
- If you're generally underleveled but play well enough you won't fall behind with just 2 Pokemon.
- as always, do the run in winter to skip one battle at twist mountain in addition to less walking required.
- for HM slaves you only need
- cut (elemental monkey can learn it)
- strength (emboar / gurdurr can learn it)
- fly (ducklett is good)
- you don't need to teach surf.
- the better you manage PP the less you'll have to heal at Pokecenters
- The Alder sanctioned double battle is the only rigged battle in the entire game, you can't crit the kids.
- Be sure to skip the trainer in the 7th gym.
- In the 8th gym Veteran Kim is skippable (2 fraxures lvl 40&41), if you can't OHKO them it might be wise to skip.
- A TAS-Guts abuse isn't possible in a speedrun, and Sawk would have trouble against the E4 (plus its dark isn't STAB).
- Liepard might be a good choice to run with Emboar for a second pass E4 clear as it is a fast dark type with Fake Out, and could run a mixed set if you get Shadow Ball in Relic Castle.
- Liepard can also learn cut so you might not have to pick up a monkey; this might waste a move slot so getting a monkey and teaching it would be better
- Speaking of TAS, you should watch any TAS video of a game before you speedrun it just to get a general feel of how things should go. I did a TAS of White and clocked in at 3:19:53 for a second pass E4 clear.