Keldeo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Well, two days ago this pony was released in Japan, and now it will make even Princess Celestia stand in awe.

BST
91/72/90/129/90/108

Kelded works best IMO as an offensive CM user, though Specs and Scarf are possibilities...

-Timid
-Lefties/Life Orb
-4HP,252SpA,252Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Calm Mind
-HP Ice
-Secret Sword

How will it affect the meta? Discuss​

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Keldeo is a beast. There's no other way to describe it that gives it enough credit for what it does. For example, my old rainstall team went 57-1 on Smogon back in April. That very same team is singlehandedly 6-0'd by Calm Mind Keldeo carrying Hidden Power Electric/Grass. It's going to have, and is already having, a huge impact on the metagame.

In my opinion, the best set would be

Keldeo @ Lum Berry (rain/weatherless) / Leftovers (sand/hail)
Trait: Justified
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Surf / Hydro Pump (I prefer Surf)
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Electric] / Hidden Power [Grass]

However, a Choice Specs / Scarf set is perfectly viable as well, and can catch many people off guard. Specs Hydro Pump 2HKOs Specially Defensive Jirachi, 2HKOs Standard Ferrothorn in Rain, and other stuff that I'm too lazy to mention.

Not to mention, there are hardly any counters to it. The only really solid ones I can list off the top of my head are Psyshock Latios / Latias / Starmie, they seem to be able to switch into practically anything (bar a Specs super-effective Hidden Power after Rocks damage) and KO in return, regardless of Keldeo being at +1 or not. Tornadus is alright, but since it usually functions in Rain, and Surf OHKOs in Rain, there's not really a good chance for it to switch in, so it has to let something die and then attempt to revenge. However, Specs Tornadus can even OHKO Keldeo when it's at +2, which is nice. Other things wall Keldeo depending on what Hidden Power it carries. If it doesn't have HP Ice, Dragonite can switch in and set up all over it or OHKO with a CB Outrage. Jellicent can status it and Recover stall if it doesn't carry HP Electric, Grass, or the rare yet viable HP Ghost. The same goes for Slowbro there, but to a lesser extent. Basically, the only drawback to Keldeo is that whatever Hidden Power you choose, there's going to be something that walls you. The way to get around that is to pick the brand of Hidden Power that leaves you open to counters that the rest of your team deals with very well. Basically, give Keldeo due support, and it'll return your investments.

In conclusion, I see Keldeo as a top-tier OU threat that will hold a large niche in the tier, definitely be suspected, but ultimately remain one of the greatest threats in OU.

Actually, HP Ghost makes a good choice for Keldeo because it hits a lot of potential counters on the switch, such as Lati@s, Starmie, Jellicent, and Celebi.
I also love the fact that Blissey is absolutely screwed by Keldeo.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
The fact that the pink blobs can't wall Keldeo is exactly what makes it so good. Secret Sword hitting the physical side of defensive stats was a godsend from Game Freak.

I think that we overhyped this thing because it was very hard to find good counters to such a hard-hitting pokemon. One of its best counters, Amoongus, has become more popular now that it has Regenerator.

But, Keldeo has a lot of problems with switching in. In most scenarios, Keldeo will switch in on a double switch or a slow U-Turn. While it certainly has bulk, the prevalence of strong pokemon (Haxorus, Mamoswine, Dragonite, Terrakion, Gengar, Alakazam, etc.) in a hyper offensive metagame discourages switching it in.

The worst part about Keldeo is its ability to be revenge killed. Many speedy pokemon like Lati@s, Starmie, Thundurus-T, and Tornadus-T can easily come in after sacking a pokemon and threaten to KO Keldeo. For this reason, CM Keldeos will find little success unless they carry Substitute. The more popular sets would be Choice Specs and to a lesser extent, Choice Scarf.

Uhhh Thundurus-T is slower than Keldeo so unless it's packing a choice scarf it's chances of revenge killing keldeo are about 0. Also, if Keldeo has managed a couple of calm minds, I'd imagine Keldeo can survive a hit from Latias or Starmie (probably not a Hurricane from Tornadus or Psyschock/Draco Meteor from Latios), and threaten both with HP Ghost. I'd have to see damage calcs though to see for sure.
Also, I don't see how Keldeo is different from Terrakion in a lot of respects...they have very similar stats. Terrakion can't switch in to much, and plenty of faster stuff revenge kills it, too, but it's still an absolute monster.

yesterday I tried a stall team on Pokemon Showdown and had a Blastoise in my team to spin an roar enemies out. I was pretty surprised, when Blastoise took a 28 % Hit from a +1 Secret Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)