Join Date: Oct 2011
Ok, let's have a look at this list (beware, long post is long)
1. Cofagrigus: Shouldn't be here really. RU has taken quite a big turn for the specially offensive side of the spectrum with moltres gaining hurricane and nidoqueen coming along. Also, with those becoming more popular, fighting types aren't as common and cofagrigus' main use has been significantly nerfed. I'm not even sure if it's the best physical wall these days either, still losing to prominent threats such as entei and SD kabutops. Should definetely be lower.
2. Nidoqueen: Nidoqueen should probably be number 1 I think. She pretty much defines the metagame dominated by bulky offense teams. Loads of resistances and solid bulk coupled with insane ammounts of power and usable speed make her so dangerous. Not really much else to say.
3. Slowking: THE most diverse pokemon in our current meta-game and definetely deserving of this place, being able to run a huge ammount of sets and proving to be a very dangerous offensive and defensive threat. While its title of "unbreakable special wall of neutral attacks" has somewhat lost its shine due to queen arriving and moltres getting hurricane, it's still a very solid choice as an all-purpose wall and pivot. Still a great mon.
4. Sceptile: Sceptile is still IMO, the best special "pure" sweeper in the tier, mostly because it has no major flaw like queen's lack of speed or moltres' huge SR weakness. It can't really function as a wall-breaker, which is just as well as it would be hard-put to compete against moltres and queen, but I still think it's definitely worthy of a top 10 spot, though probably not quite this high.
5. Uxie: Uxie is awesome. Being the most reliable SR setter in RU ever since its introduction is already a good trait but the fact that it's pretty much the only thing that can claim to stop nidoqueen has made it even better if anything. Uxie easily gets the award of "best glue and filler" for teams as it is just so bulky and can offer so much to its team. 5 is pretty much the perfect spot for it I think.
6. Entei: Entei is probably the best physical pokemon in the tier at the moment. Packing extremely powerful priority, a very dangerous STAB type, and acceptable coverage along with excellent bulk and a viable option to go mixed, entei is easily worthy of its place in the top 10. It is just so dangerous really, can't say much else tbh. Maybe a bit higher than 6 would do it justice.
7. Sandslash: Get out. Kabutops is better and cryo is better. I've never felt the need to use any other spinner than those two. Sandslash is just not good. Not enough power to be threatening, and not enough bulk to last long for a match. NU for this guy, definetely the most dissapointing in this list.
8. Gallade: Gallade is definetely good, but whether it deserve no. 8 or not is questionable. Its special bulk is really solid and coupled with its decent speed and good offensive typing and movepool makes it a good check to nidoqueen and a solid choice for a wallbreaker, but in the fast pace of the RU metagame and with physical priority being everywhere, it just can't get the chance to sweep against your typical offensive team. It's definetely a solid offensive mon, but the fact that it struggles against offense and is reliant on set-up makes me doubt its position in the top 10.
9. Moltres: The reason why you need a rock type on your team. While moltres has its flaws, if you give it the support it needs, it is, without a doubt in my mind, the most threatening pokemon in the tier. 90 base speed is actually very good and with two great offensive STAB types and 125 base special attack make it a night-mare for offensive and defensive teams alike. Great bulk and access to roost is really the cherry on the cake. Should be quite a lot higher, though it is still severly hampered by the fact that it has to rely on its team a lot to function.
10. Galvantula: Galvantula is nice, but it just doesn't cut it to make the top 10. Sure its STABs and move-pool are nice, but the fact that it is really frail, has very few usable resistances and a SR weakness and is pretty much revenge-killable by every priority user and scarfer in the tier while still being "wallable" just doesn't make it worth it IMO. There are things that can make better use of the support that galvantula demands IMO.
Wow, that took a while, anyway, here is my revised list of the top 10 and how I think it should look.
1. Nidoqueen: See my original post. It pretty much defines the metagame at the moment, pushing stall on bar-unusability (yes, that's a word now) and making BO the new "play style to play" are evidence enough of its dominance.
2. Slowking: Yeah, see my original post again. Requires little support and offers so much to its team. Slowking is just fantastic really and you can probably find it a slot on every team.
3. Entei: This place was actually quite tricky, but I finally decided to choose entei here. Entei just gives your team an excellent offensive pokemon in so many respects. Powerful priority, absurd power, and solid bulk as well. It's that good. The main reason that he's above moltres is due to his versitality and not being as reliant on support as the phoenix.
4. Uxie: I decided to put uxie in front of moltres because while it can't break down walls and has only really one set that can sweep (Sub CM), the huge list of things it can do, counter the no. 1 best, be a cleric, pivot, and reliable hazard setter all in one set and so on is just too good to be ignored. Uxie is fantastic, no other word for it really.
5. Moltres: Ya, it's amazing. Despite it's high requirement for support, moltres is still just so good. So hard to wall and enough bulk and speed to make it tricky to take down for offensive teams is awesome. I don't really think I need to say more.
6. Poliwrath: This may come as a surprise to many of you, but poliwrath is without a doubt in my mind the best physical wall in the tier (eat your heart out tangrowth). Walling Kabutops, Entei, Aerodactyl, Drapion, and Escavalier among others without even breaking a sweat is just so amazing. Despite having to rely on rest-talk, he is still just too good for stall and balance teams to not use. Even gothitelle struggles to trap him due to circle throw.
7. Kabutops: The coolest generation 1 design of all time. I've used kabutops on so many teams now since like round 3 and he has never dissapointed. Easily the best set-up sweeper in the tier and the best offensive spinner too. Despite struggling against a lot of common walls such as poliwrath, tang, and defensive cofagrigus, his ability to smash through offensive teams, especially with weak armour, combined with the fact that he checks a lot of dangerous threats such as moltres, entei, aerodactyl and such makes him so so good.
8. Smeargle: While uxie is the most reliable hazard setter in the tier, smeargle is probably the most dangerous one. He just sits there and gets his job done like a champ all while watching his opponent fumble for a counter as he sets up hazards if they haven't carefully prepared for him. On top of that, he can also run the strangely rare quiver and shift gear pass sets making several sweepers like gallade or nidoqueen pretty much unstoppable. Great mon.
9. Sceptile: Despite struggling against quite a lot of walls, sceptile is still a fantastic sweeper that can run be very difficult to handle for offensive teams. Solid coverage and not requiring a lot of support paired with its awesome speed and solid special attack make it so good. The main thing holding it back is that it is stopped by virtually all scarfers and priority abusers. Still very good though.
10. Rotom-C: This was a really tough choice between manetric, sigilyph, and cofagrigus, but I think rotom-c wins this one on the premise that it doesn't really have a "counter" as it is just an excellent scout and pretty much all ground types are smacked very hard by Leafstorm or HP Ice. While it isn't as fast as manetric, it's main competititor, it has far superior bulk and typing and is able to reliably revenge gatr time and kabutops. It is just such a good momentum setter, and the best one in the tier, which I think is saying quite a lot in this very offensive metagame.
Honourable mentions: Cofagrigus, Manetric, Sigilyph, Tangrowth.
Wow, that took a while, but I hope I gave a decent insight of what I think of the tier at the moment.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis