Sep 16th, 2012, 9:21:59 AM
Hear me Roar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Braviary (Bulk Up) [QC 3/3]
note: I'm only doing this separately from the main analysis since the main one has already gone through QC, and I want to make sure this set gets enough proper discussion and QC input, rather than being tacked onto the analysis.
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Brave Bird / Return
move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Roost
evs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
- Takes Braviarys usual checks, and turns them into set up fodder. Regirock, Golem, Carracosta, Alomomola are all set up on, as well as other stuff like Golurk, Amoonguss etc.
- Sets up all over bulky and stall teams.
- Choice of STAB move is interesting; Brave Bird is not completely walled like Return is with Ghost-types, but means Braviary will have a harder time KOing Electric types unless it has got multiple boosts. The recoil damage can also be very nasty sometimes.
- Bulk Up is a really cool set up move for Braviary, boosting its already massive Attack, and softening the blow from Rock-types like Regirock
- Substitute means Braviary can avoid this sets worst enemy: status. Status affliction of any kind will cause this set to be close to useless, and Braviary is faster than most relevant defensive Poemon who carry status, so it will be able to use Substitute before the status
- Roost is what allows this set to be so effective. Removing the Rock-typ weakness for a turn can be critical, and the instant recovery means Braviary can PP stall Rock moves, and then set up and sweep after that.
- The Specially Defensive spread prevents revenge killing from Electric-types such as Rotom or Zebstrika
- Amoonguss / Alomomola / Tangela and the like will also never break your subs.
- 252 HP means Braviary can make 101 HP Substitutes, letting it beat Seismic Toss users such as Lickilicky or Mawile.
- The Speed is enough to outrun Adamant Torterra, as well as Modest Exeggutor and Ampharos. A few more points of Speed can be invested to attempt to outrun Misdreavus, but it is hard to tell how much Speed Misdreavus will be running.
- You can run 80 Speed to outrun Adamant Rampardos
- Beats all the Rock-types, so partners like Swellow, Cinccino, Zangoose will love being on the same team.
- Braviary absolutely hates status, so a Cleric like Vileplume can be a very welcome teammate, if you have space for it.
- If you choose to run Return, a Pursuit user such as Skuntank should be mandatory to deal with Ghost-types
- Likewise Brave Bird should be paired with something like Piloswine to take on Electric types.
- Power Gem Probopass with a status move is probably the best counter to this, Braviary cannot touch it and will lose to Power Gem.
- Roar Lairon will also stop Braviary in its tracks, particularly if it can set up Stealth Rock as well.
- Raichu and Cacturne with Encore
- SubDisable Haunter, Taunt + Toxic Vigoroth / Skuntank
I was thinking this set would go between Band and Scarf, but feel free to suggest another ordering.
Last edited by Django; Sep 17th, 2012 at 6:28:46 AM.