3 Pokemon Tier is Standard OU except you can only use three Pokemon instead of six. Battles are much more fast paced in this tier and most will end in less than 12 turns. It's interesting what strategies are more or less viable when you only have three Pokemon. It's relatively unexplored, but here's what I've noticed so far:
- Focus Sash and Gems are more viable
- Trick Room, Tailwind, and dual screens are much more potent
- Hazards are a lot less useful
This may seem like a Random Matchup clone, but it actually has quite a few differences from Random Matchup. Differences from Random Matchup:
- You only have three Pokemon; you don't pick three Pokemon out of six.
- Pokemon are level 100
- Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys-D, Phione, Victini, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect are unbanned; Garchomp, Blaziken, Thundurus, and Excadrill are banned.
- There is no Item Clause
- Swift Swim + Drizzle and Moody are banned
- There is Sleep Clause, OHKO Clause, and Evasion Clause
So what are you waiting for? Make a team and battle with someone. There are plenty of eager players on #othermetas, #pokemon, and Pokemon Showdown!. What's also nice about this tier is that it's pretty easy to build teams because you only need three Pokemon.