OU Monotype Electric + One Other

UPDATE: I have currently won 14 consecutive matches on PS rated OU. (Including one where the opponent successfully eliminated Politoed and set up Sand Stream Sand Storm). I finally lost after that.

Some questions: Should I have Jolteon hold Air Balloon? Should I have Zapdos hold Damp Rock?

I joined a league that needed an electric gym leader. That means five electric Pokémon and one other. I decided to make a Rain team.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psychic​

Politoed is here to set up rain, and hit the opponent. The reason that I choose this moveset is for coverage. Focus Blast can hope to hinder a Tyranitar, and Ice Beam can deal with Tornadus, which is a possible beast under Rain. Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed many opponents. In one instance it KOd a lead Salamence with Ice Beam.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 184 HP / 148 SAtk / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split​

This Rotom-W is a good thing for rain. Stab rain boosted Hydro Pump hits almost anything hard. Hydro Pumping the heck out of my opponents with this guy. So far, several matches were decided byLeftovers here is to prolong its stay.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 26 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder​

This thing walls, although I don't really know how to stop it being taken out, help would be nice. Leftovers and Roost are so it can stay in a lot longer than it could otherwise, but it's speed makes it hard to get Roosts off. I do not really want to sacrifice other stats, because it hits hard as it is, and if Defense were not boosted, it would only get KOd sooner. I have added Rain Dance, because I have had my Politoed KOd too many times. Should I have it hold Damp Rock?

Electivire @ Life Orb
Trait: Motor Drive
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Def / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake​

This thing is for Physical support, since there isn't much in an Electric team. I really like this set due to the great coverage, so I am using it. Life Orb gives it a nice boost, but Wild Charge+Life Orb really stacks, so I have to be careful. This is also helpful in taking out Tyranitars and Ninetales. This team hates Tyranitars and dislikes Ninetales.

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder​

Jolteon is pretty good speedwise. He also works well with Thunder and taking out Psychics (a problem I mentioned earlier). He has decided a match, by Thunder spamming an obnoxious Blissey. He was put in here to fill in for Elektross. I might replace his Specs with a Balloon; Any thoughts?

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 5 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam
- Thunder

This set has really helped. It can easily trap in a Ferrothorn, and Charge Beam for boosts, and tear through other Pokémon. Substitute is here to set up a buffer, and Thunder is good for STAB and a Rain spam.​

Any help would be helpful. I am still a noob at manufacturing teams and movesets: as you can see each moveset is ripped from someone else. I really would love any help. In answer to Yeezy D's question on Choiced items, I have not seen much play with this team, and hence not many problems. Scarfing Magnezone has hindered it a little, it just seem a little more useless.

Past Pokémon:

Eelektross @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Thunder​

I removed this because Yeezy D said I ought to put in a Jolteon. Jolteon is a speed demon and has worked out a little better.

I'm not minimodding, I'm helping someone sort out their thread before it gets locked.
OP, check out the RMT rules, as it requires you to have three lines of description at the least for each Pokemon, a suitable picture for each and pretty much make it look presentable. Its a nice idea for a team, but wouldn't be accepted into monotype-tournaments so sort of defeats the purpose of the team. If you still want to make it a full mono-type team, I would suggest swapping Politoed for Rain Dance Raikou, and DEFINETELY swap out Eelektross for Jolteon. The main reason Jolteon is in OU is due to it being ridiculously strong under Rain.

I'm not minimodding, I'm helping someone sort out their thread before it gets locked.
OP, check out the RMT rules, as it requires you to have three lines of description at the least for each Pokemon, a suitable picture for each and pretty much make it look presentable. Its a nice idea for a team, but wouldn't be accepted into monotype-tournaments so sort of defeats the purpose of the team. If you still want to make it a full mono-type team, I would suggest swapping Politoed for Rain Dance Raikou, and DEFINETELY swap out Eelektross for Jolteon. The main reason Jolteon is in OU is due to it being ridiculously strong under Rain.
Thank you for your help. I will swap Elektross out, and don't look at it as minimodding, you are just being helpful.

You're still skating on thin ice on the descriptions, I'll help you out. Why have you chosen the item for that Pokemon? Has having three Choiced users in the same team given you any problems in the past? Put that sort of thing in the description. Basically just your experience with it.

And theoretically, having three choiced users should cripple your team immensely, but I've never believed in that load of theoretical bull. On paper and in action are two entirely different things - its down to your experience with it.

Why have a almost mono team? electric is a good defensive type, i admit. 8ut offensivly your synergy will suffer. And a C8 Terrak is going to hurt you a shit tonne! id swap poli, for a rain dance raikou or a thundrus and have rain dance on your other mem8ers, and make it a mono team.

Why have a almost mono team? electric is a good defensive type, i admit. 8ut offensivly your synergy will suffer. And a C8 Terrak is going to hurt you a shit tonne! id swap poli, for a rain dance raikou or a thundrus and have rain dance on your other mem8ers, and make it a mono team.
I haven't faced any Terrakion yet, that I remember, but in my original post, I specified why it is not full monotype. Maybe I will add Rain Dance to Zapdos, instead of Toxic, because that move has not seen much usage. Thank you for your help. :D

The main reason Jolteon is in OU is due to it being ridiculously strong under Rain.
Sort of. What actually makes Jolteon so good in BW2 OU its performance against arguably the top rain threat: Tornadus-T. Jolteon resists Tornadus' Flying STAB, is the only Pokemon in OU that naturally outspeeds Tornadus-T and hits back super-effectively with its own STAB. I think that's what you mean by its "strength in rain."

Anyway, Ice moves on 5/6 team members kinda seems like overkill. Yeah it's BoltBeam coverage, but HPs are still relatively weak moves. I'd use Pain Split > HP Ice on Rotom-W. It has great bulk and the Pain Split will help it stick around longer, not to mention it can just Volt Switch on things that wall it (bar Gastrodon) so HP Ice isn't necessary.

On Zapdos, I'd really like to see Discharge and Hurricane > Thunder and HP Grass. Hurricane is 100% accurate in the rain and its 30% confusion chance coupled with Discharge's 30% paralysis chance can really screw with your opponent. Since you have Rain Dance on Zapdos, you don't need to worry about the set becoming deadweight if you lose the weather war. Hurricane also makes Zapdos a direct threat to common Grass-types that are used as rain checks such as Breloom, Virizion and Roserade.

Not really seeing Magnezone's usefulness; the few Steel-types in OU that resist - or are immune to - Electric moves are easily disposed of through the efforts of Politoed, Electivire and Rotom-W. Though you shouldn't remove Politoed, you should take Yeezy D's suggestion of Raikou > Electivire. The set you use on Raikou is a matter of preference. CM + 3-Attacks, SubCM and Choice are all great sets.

ScarfChomp and Landorus destroy you. Don't really know what to do about those since this is a monotype. Air Balloon Magnezone or Scarf Thundurus-T are the only two things i can think of that might stand a chance and neither of them does so very well.

Sort of. What actually makes Jolteon so good in BW2 OU its performance against arguably the top rain threat: Tornadus-T. Jolteon resists Tornadus' Flying STAB, is the only Pokemon in OU that naturally outspeeds Tornadus-T and hits back super-effectively with its own STAB. I think that's what you mean by its "strength in rain."

Anyway, Ice moves on 5/6 team members kinda seems like overkill. Yeah it's BoltBeam coverage, but HPs are still relatively weak moves. I'd use Pain Split > HP Ice on Rotom-W. It has great bulk and the Pain Split will help it stick around longer, not to mention it can just Volt Switch on things that wall it (bar Gastrodon) so HP Ice isn't necessary.

On Zapdos, I'd really like to see Discharge and Hurricane > Thunder and HP Grass. Hurricane is 100% accurate in the rain and its 30% confusion chance coupled with Discharge's 30% paralysis chance can really screw with your opponent. Since you have Rain Dance on Zapdos, you don't need to worry about the set becoming deadweight if you lose the weather war. Hurricane also makes Zapdos a direct threat to common Grass-types that are used as rain checks such as Breloom, Virizion and Roserade.

Not really seeing Magnezone's usefulness; the few Steel-types in OU that resist - or are immune to - Electric moves are easily disposed of through the efforts of Politoed, Electivire and Rotom-W. Though you shouldn't remove Politoed, you should take Yeezy D's suggestion of Raikou > Electivire. The set you use on Raikou is a matter of preference. CM + 3-Attacks, SubCM and Choice are all great sets.

ScarfChomp and Landorus destroy you. Don't really know what to do about those since this is a monotype. Air Balloon Magnezone or Scarf Thundurus-T are the only two things i can think of that might stand a chance and neither of them does so very well.
Thank you for your help. I have replaced Scarf with Air Balloon on Magnezone, and Thunder with Discharge on Zapdos. I do not think he can learn Hurricane though. Also, I am somewhat reluctant to get rid of Electivire, since it is able to easily take care of Blissey.

Just realized Zapdos is the only legendary bird that doesn't get Hurricane...curse you, TrollFreak -___- Might as well put HP Grass back on there for Ground-types or HP Flying to cover those Grass-type rain checks.

Yeah, i guess keep Electivire then. Its hard to find physical Electric-types and he looks like your best bet against Blissey/Chansey.

Just realized Zapdos is the only legendary bird that doesn't get Hurricane...curse you, TrollFreak -___- Might as well put HP Grass back on there for Ground-types or HP Flying to cover those Grass-type rain checks.

Yeah, i guess keep Electivire then. Its hard to find physical Electric-types and he looks like your best bet against Blissey/Chansey.
Yeah, well this team is not doing very well, so I might give up on it.

Sorry i just read the actual sets :/ hmmm well in that case id swap zapdos for its flying electric counterpart thundurus T. Hes a huge threat and abuses rain. This would make your team much more offensive however so that switch depends on your play style.
However i defo WOULD swap magnezones set:
Id have
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Timid
252 Spe / 252 Hp / 4 def (maybe less hp do you can do 5 subs, i havnt calced it)
- sub
- charge beam
- hidden power (fire)
- flash cannon / thunderbolt

This if it works is a huge threat to any team. And even if it doesnt work to perfection it will still work at eliminatin steel types, which is your aim. However the rain will hurt this guy reguardless as his hp fire will suck a bit :(
Nice team

Sorry i just read the actual sets :/ hmmm well in that case id swap zapdos for its flying electric counterpart thundurus T. Hes a huge threat and abuses rain. This would make your team much more offensive however so that switch depends on your play style.
Id have
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Timid
252 Spe / 252 Hp / 4 def (maybe less hp do you can do 5 subs, i havnt calced it)
- sub
- charge beam
- hidden power (fire)

This if it works is a huge threat to any team. And even if it doesnt work to perfection it will still work at eliminatin steel types, which is your aim. However the rain will hurt this guy reguardless as his hp fire will suck a bit :(
Nice team
Sorry, I have no access to Thundurus-T. I will try the magnezone set. Thanks.

Id have
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Timid
- sub
- charge beam
- hidden power (fire)

Nice team
I would like to commend you on this Magnezone. I was battling, trapped a Ferrothorn. Charge Beamed until I had 4x Special Attack, and KOd it, Genesect, and Tyranitar. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)