Originally Posted by Fat tehy
Edit: Nightmare, what defines "out of hand"? Let's say there is an option, any time in the game, to just click a button and have a 10% chance to win, but a 90% chance to lose. It's not really out of hand-you can only lose 10% of the time. Only problem is, it would just rob good players of winning. And the example you gave is perfect-the metagame CAN adjust. I could run, say, restalk celebi with psychic, HP fire, and recover. Or restalk salamence. Or restalk Heracross/kyogre for darkrai. And i haven't even begun to talk about random lum berries.Forcing the metagame to adjust to them would be very stupid, but very possible.
Out of hand generally means it's generally stupidly hard to deal with. For example, Dark Void in Double Battles (much as I hate to say it as it's one of my faves yes it's broken), the 70% usage on Garchomp in B/W, Soul Dew Lati@s, No Sleep Clause Poison Heal Breloom, things like that. I don't think the first reaction is "it should be banned" because something is undesirable or even a slight bit OP (like example, Drizzle and Swift Swim. I don't know who came up with that idea, but I've always found it managable). I think if you're going to ban something, it is a last resort and has to be clearly, overwhelmingly overpowered or something's wrong.
I know OHKO's aren't the most desirable things around, but hey, it takes Pokemon like Lapras and Walrein and gets them out of NU. Also, aren't there a few complaints about stall being generally nonviable lately? When you artificially ban things these kinds of situations occur.
Might be getting a bit off topic here, but let's take the most broken of all games in terms of usage and strategies: Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Does it mean the rest of the characters are unusable: No, I've found a way to win using lesser known characters (yes, it takes work, and I may not be able to beat Justin Wong, lol). But it is possible because something is unexplored or untapped in potential. I think it's the same difference here.
Just my 2C.