Dec 9th, 2012, 12:27:05 AM
Into the New World
Join Date: Dec 2009
M'kay, this needs a bit of work:
- On the Stealth Rock set, put in Grass Knot over Thunderbolt. Grass Knot is significantly better on that set than Thunderbolt imo, since if you're using Psyshock, it actually conveniently hits all of the targets with high physical defense that don't take much from Psyshock incredibly hard; namely, this means that Rhydon, Aggron, Steelix, and other such physically defensive Pokemon have a much harder time walling Mesprit. Thunderbolt should go in AC, along with Ice Beam.
- Also, I'd make 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe the main spread. This lets Mesprit tie with other neutral base 80s, and most important, outspeed Modest Nidoqueen, which makes Mesprit a much better check against it (252 HP is still 2HKOed by Nidoqueen's Sludge Wave anyway). AC the max HP spread.
- Similarly, Substitute + Calm Mind's set should be Substitute / Calm Mind / Psyshock / Ice Beam. This gives great neutral coverage overall, and gives Mesprit unique advantages over Uxie instead of being inferior to it, such as Mesprit's ability to get past Steelix, Cryogonal, Tangrowth, Rhydon, Mandibuzz etc much easier than Uxie can. Also, make Modest the main nature since most base 80s use a neutral nature, so the extra power does more for Mesprit.
- Remove Signal Beam altogether on the Choice Specs set; there is literally no reason to use it over Ice Beam / Thunderbolt. Also, slash U-turn with Trick on the last slot, since U-turn is actually surprisingly useful. And, once again, make Modest the main nature.
- Remove Signal Beam and deslash Hidden Power Fire from the Choice Scarf set; keep Hidden Power Fire in AC though because hitting Escavalier is pretty cool. Also slash Trick with U-turn in the last slot, since they're pretty interchangeable. Timid should also be slashed on this set so Mesprit can revenge-kill Aerodactyl, and random stuff like Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Rock Polish Aggron.
- On the Offensive Calm Mind set, the set should be Calm Mind / Psychic or Psyshock / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire or Ice Beam and nothing else. Ice Beam goes with Psyshock to get past Rhydon etc, and has good synergy with Thunderbolt, while Hidden Power Fire goes with Psychic to beat Escavalier. Also don't mention Substitute on this set since there's already a SubCM set. Modest should get a slash as well I guess.
- Weather Support set looks good. Mention using Quiet + 0 Speed IVs for a slow as possible U-turn, but otherwise this is good.
- Remove Signal Beam on the Trick Room set, but otherwise this is good too.
- Re-add the Choice Band set please. Make it Zen Headbutt / U-turn / Trick / Fire Punch, with an Adamant nature and max Attack and Speed. It's not outclassed by Medicham and Gallade at all, because of U-turn, Levitate, and Trick, which separates Mesprit those two and gives it a lot of advantages, namely its ability to scout with U-turn before spamming Zen Headbutts.
- Checks and Counters: Scolipede is an awful check to Mesprit lol, because it can't switch in on anything. Remove it. Also stress Drapion and Spiritomb as counters more on Mesprit's individual sets; with Hidden Power Fire and U-turn being on a lot of Mesprit's sets, Absol and Escavalier aren't the most reliable Mesprit counters at all.
Make these changes and I'll take a look at this again later.