Jan 28th, 2013, 9:02:14 PM
And the wind became...crazy
Join Date: Jan 2010
♪ I'm Cloudbusting, daddy ♪
I was asked by alexwolf to post some thoughts about Scarf Gyara, so here I go:
Gyarados (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Gyarados is a powerful and reasonably bulky revenge killer, and is able to outrun up to +1 max speed Adamant Dragonite. Moxie aids Gyarados in sweeping late game after the opposing team's water resists are weakened.
- Even though he has solid defensive stats, the lack of Intimidate coupled with a 2X Stealth Rock weakness means he can't reliably counter Lucario and other Fighting types, so pack another solid Fighting resist!
- Gyara wants an Adamant nature because Jolly doesn't really outpace any prominent Pokes, bar Jolteon and Timid ScarfTran, and appreciates the extra power when revenging some bulkier threats (like DD Dragonite and SD Garchomp).
- Teammates: anything that comfortably switches into and sets up on Pokes that can tank Waterfall.
- Celebi can switch into Rotom-W, Jolteon, and Jellicent, while Scizor can pose an immediate threat to Ferrothorn and Latias.
- Gyara also wants Rapid Spin support so that it would be able to function as a more reliable check to things like Volcarona. Some good spinners include Forretress, Starmie, and Tentacruel, but the latter two share an electric weakness.
- You're spamming Waterfall 90% of the time, so the other 3 moveslots don't really matter. However, Ice Fang is good for revenging boosting Dragons, Stone Edge is good for Volcarona in the sun, and EQ is good for Tentacruel and Toxicroak.