Two Sides of the Same Coin
A Pokemon which can use two (or more) different, possibly contrasting methods to perform the same task.
OU, for the most part, is very predictable. You see the Pokemon, and you know how that Pokemon works, what role it performs. Countering the Pokemon is much easier, therefore. However, this Pokemon would bring something new to the metagame; it can use two differing techniques to gain the same final outcome, making it less predictable; a guessing game, if you like. Countering this Pokemon would take skill and judgement.
Questions To Be Answered:
- How can a Pokemon with two seperate techniques achieve the same role?
- Will there be any Pokemon moved into OU with the introduction of this Pokemon?
- Similarly, will any Pokemon become less prominent in OU with the introduction of this Pokemon?
- Is there a way to successfully predict this Pokemon's strategy every time?
- Could this Pokemon change its technique of achieving the same role midway between battling, to achieve the same effect? If so, how would this Pokemon go about doing so?
- In certain cases, would this Pokemon be forced to change its technique? In addition, how would the opponent be able to achieve this?
- Is using more than one technique of fulfilling the same role really unpredictable?
For this concept, options are broad and wide, with little regulations. This opens up a whole new avenue of different possibilities, and leads to greater discussion. The concept itself would be interesting to try out; the Pokemon, whilst performing the same intended role (An example is sweep-stopping), isn't limited in terms of the techniques it could use to go about doing so. There's really a whole variety of them which could be explored. The concept has the potential to comepletely alter the way we think about countering as a whole, as it doesn't follow the same direct-route to achieve its role.
Predictability is another important part of this concept. This concept could alter the way we think about how each Pokemon is going to react to a different situation, how mind games will, or could be used effectively. It also challenges your opponent to guess correctly, whilst also challenging you to maintain your higher ground.