Gastrodon (BW2 Revamp) QC [3/3] GP [2/2]

Nah they don't play differently enough to have two different sets imo. I'll let QC have the final say on this but just my two cents

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No the two sets play almost identical, no reason to seperate them. Just mention any alternative EV spread in AC and you are good to go.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Please take out "grass is not common in OU" on overview because Breloom and Celebi get commendable usage, with Venu and Amo, etc.

On Special Attacker, at least AC mention how Counter over Recover can be used to counter volt-turn (usually on specs ; hates being locked into recover. LO prefers Recover so reflect that!)

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've deleted the "grass is not common in OU" but the voltturn part I agree with Princess Bri.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First of all you have some minor spelling and grammar mistakes so be sure to check this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102407. Or if you have done so already just give to the whole text antoher careful read.

Now about the content. The overview is overselling Gastrodon and hardly mentions any of its negative traits. Please fix that according to the bullet points you had.

There are also some uneccesary wordy parts but i guess the GP team will deal with this.

Also where are teammates for the sets? I don't see anything in the AC... So add teammates please.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I followed my bullet points when writing this and I don't think that I oversell it too much, since Checks & Counters is gigantic, however I'll add some more negative traits and mention how it can easily die sometimes.

I've added teammates for defensive and corrected a couple of errors, I'll make a less-fast review tomorrow and it'll be ready.

Joim

Pixels matter
Waiting for the third QC, unlike the current version it mentions teammates for both sets and it warns of Gastrodon's weaknesses in several points.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Your oveview is still very misleading, as you present Gastrodon as a very good Pokemon with little flaws, while the opposite is true. Gastrodon has a niche of stopping some rain powerhouses, such as Starmie, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W, and Politoed, but it is very slow, weak without a Storm Drain boost, vulnerable to status, and easy to take advantage of in general.

So either ask some people in the c&c channel to help you with the overview, or give it to someone else to write it.

Joim

Pixels matter
Your oveview is still very misleading, as you present Gastrodon as a very good Pokemon with little flaws, while the opposite is true. Gastrodon has a niche of stopping some rain powerhouses, such as Starmie, Thundurus-T, Rotom-W, and Politoed, but it is very slow, weak without a Storm Drain boost, vulnerable to status, and easy to take advantage of in general.

So either ask some people in the c&c channel to help you with the overview, or give it to someone else to write it.
I already wrote a new Overview by myself making special emphasis on the downsides to using Gastrodon, thank you for your concern, I was perfectly capable of doing so. Normally, analyses tend to explain what's good about a Pokemon, Metagross analisys comes to mind, going into detail on the sets.

Anyways:
alexwolf said:
but it is very slow, weak without a Storm Drain boost, vulnerable to status, and easy to take advantage of in general.
Joim said:
But not everyhing shines for it,[...] and its bulk is not as great as it may seem.
Joim said:
Scizor's U-Turn still deals a lot of damage
Joim said:
Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat continuous powerful attacks and that any status will ruin it and render it useless.
Joim said:
Keep in mind when using an offensive oriented Gastrodon that despite its possible raw power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.
Joim said:
[Scizor]it outspeeds and can use U-turn. Don't be brave, and switch out of it
Joim said:
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]This is a full paragraph commenting on how basically all Pokemon on OU destroy it.
As I said, yes, I can comment and emphasize the downsides that I've commented on the sets, but that's a bit subjective as Gastrodon is not as shitty as you want me to point out.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[qc]3/3[/qc]

If QC still think that the overview is still hyping Gastrodon up too much, please say so.

I've used Gastrodon a lot, specially at the beginning of BW2, but things have changed quite a bit so any input would be nice. Main changes in the current analysis would be stop mentioning Quagsire.

Gastrodon

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances, and a lone double weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, fifth generation buffed Storm Drain by granting it a Special Attack boost. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon wasn't used much due to its relative frailness and weakness to status,; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has given some breath to our beloved sea slug, being able to be part of giving it a place in anti-rain and rain teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon is able to be used in rain, sandstorm, or weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. But not everything shines for it, for Celebi and Ferrothorn and other counters are pretty common in the Overused metagame and its bulk is not as great as it may seem, making easy to take advantage of Gastrodon, either easily KOing it or setting up.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Earthquake / Earth Power
move 2: Scald / Ice Beam
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Sassy / Calm
evs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the lack foof Defense, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a CB Close Combat from Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also sponge both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33 to 66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67 to 47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Jirachi and Bulky Swords Dance Scizor.</p> (new paragraph)

<p>
Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team,; in sandstorm teams it won't take the passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, since Scald damage is boosted and it becomes a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can even take the uncommon Starmie's Grass Knot and two Draco Meteors in a row from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch and healing damage back. In a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Scald, which, as we all know, will most likely burn it and thus render it useless. In fact, Scald's burn chance is usually a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to deal with many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type Overused threats, but Gastrodon can't really take many neutral physical hits, so a Scald burn on a switch-in will help it do its job. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes s as Rotom-W and Starmie, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. There is no discussion when it comes to Recovery, any defensive Gastrodon should use it and there's no reason not to. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to make Gastrodon able to tank Thundurus-T and Rock Polish Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also possible and will make Gastrodon able take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively switching into a physical attacker or trying to burn Terrakion or Scizor with Scald, since it will be able to take a hit or two. Keep in mind, though, that even on maximum Defense, Technician Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. It's best to use Recover against a Scizor predicting it to heal back to almost full health. (I didn't quite understand the last sentence... consider rewording? predicting it to what?) Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat continuous powerful attacks, and that any status will ruin it and render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes,; Grass-types will resist attacks thrown to at Gastrodon and might be able to answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, since it can take most of the Grass-types, even some Hidden Power Fire under the rain while the rain allows it to handle even some Hidden Power Fires, and put some Spikes in the field. Latios and Latias will take any Grass-type attack too, additionally as well as resisting Fighting-type attacks and obliterating Fighting-types with ease. In a rain team, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can take Jellicent, though Scizor is recommended to Pursuit it,; additionally, it handles Grass-type attacks well too. Tornadus-I, useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can take Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Surf / Scald
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Recover
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing several (did you mean severe? consider changing it altogether, as you use 'severely' a little further on) damage with Surf or Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, just like such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. Using Choice Specs, under rain, and adding in a boost from Storm Drain, Gastrodon's neutral coverage makes it an offensive presence to be dreaded, as it can severely hurt a lot of opposing Pokemon, even 2HKOing Blissey with Surf. Maximum power Surf and Earth Power can 2HKO Ferrothorn if you predict the switch-in. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon,; use this to your advantage, surprising and surprise unsuspecting foes dealing high damage with a with a high-damage Surf or an Earth Power. With Choice Specs, under rain and with a Storm Drain boost, Gastrodon 2HKOs Blissey with Surf. Choosing the moves, yYou can use Scald over Surf because it is that damn good: it will burn physical opponents often, granting you a huge advantage, and burn damage will add up against special attacking opposing Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodons, even defensive variants, and deal with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but usually Hidden Power Grass is a better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recovery, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power on from Specs; but switching the ability to switch attacks is very welcome though. Life Orb set will use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil from Life Orb, meaning you can attack from full health once more. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its possible raw potential power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You might use 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe with Choice Specs or 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe with Life Orb spreads to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock damage 47.3% of the times, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damages or two switch-ins; under this assumes rain and with a Storm Drain boost. If you are using Life Orb, you could run Rain Dance in the fourth moveslot to help with weather wars in forced switches,; Hidden Power Grass is recommended though to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil. Keep always Always keep in mind that even though Scizor is crippled by Scald, it outspeeds and can use U-turn. Don't be brave, and; switch out of it; unless you can Scald it on the switch-in.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kind of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart does,&mdash;mainly Grass-type resisting and status absorbing teammates, also some as well as Pokemon able to take the common hard-hitting attacks like Hurricane, Close Combat, or and Outrage. Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take an incoming Toxic, Grass-type attack, U-turn, or and Dragon-type attacks. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weakness perfectly as (space) well and is a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to deal with dragons.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>There aren't many other viable options, really. All of them are mainly outclassed. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status (explain, maybe? just a mention that yawn is unreliable, idk~). You could choose Clear Smog as a second move to stop a set up, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move could come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyways/s]. Gastrodon can run too Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better. Stockpile can be used, but it is not recommended on in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the times you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents to set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but do not bother with it, Scald does better against Scizor and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Specs Earth Power will tear appart opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the times, since Gastrodon welcomes a lot its spot as Rain countera lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>The main bane of Gastrodon are Grass-types: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, Ferrothorn, and others like them are an immediate switch out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them., although Ferrothorn will most likely switch-in anyways, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and procceed proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Natural Cure users can take a Toxic and switch out and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon,&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into him it. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from it and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran could can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon apart (redundant) into shreds too,&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitue Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status itself and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Keldeo's Secret Sword Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp;, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from these.</p>

Nice job~ ^_^ Shame That told me you'd love me if I did this, so:

[gp]1/2~[/gp]

(Also, Gastrodon is a cool Pokémon!)

tehy

Banned deucer.
Super Edit: Probably, but: "Don't be brave, switch out of it unless you can Scald it on the switch-in". I assume you mean burn it on the switch-in, but what you're saying is "Switch out unless you can perform an action on the switch-in.) Unless you're saying to double-switch out of it entirely, which is often not a great idea, not sure what you're saying here.
[OVERVIEW]¶

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances and a lone double weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, fifth generation buffed Storm Drain by granting it a Special Attack boost. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon wasn't used much due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has given some breath to our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in anti-rain and rain teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>¶

<p>Gastrodon is usable to be used in rain, sandstorm, or weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. But not everything shines for it, for Celebi and Ferrothorn and other counters are pretty common in the Overused metagame and its bulk is not as great as it may seem, making it easy to take advantage ofset up on Gastrodon, either easily or just KOing it or setting up.</p>¶

[SET]¶
name: Defensive¶
move 1: Earthquake / Earth Power¶
move 2: Scald / Ice Beam¶
move 3: Toxic¶
move 4: Recover¶
item: Leftovers¶
ability: Storm Drain¶
nature: Sassy / Calm¶
evs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD¶

[SET COMMENTS]¶

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the lack of Defense, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a CB Close Combat from Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also sponge both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33 to 66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67 to 47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Jirachi and Bulky Swords Dance Scizor.</p>¶

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take the passive damage, but it shines more ion a rain team, since Scald damage isbeing boosted andmakes it becomes a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can even take the uncommon Starmie's Grass Knot and two Draco Meteors in a row from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch and healing damage back. IOn a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Scald, which, as we all know, will most likely burn it and thus render it useless. In fact, Scald's burn chance is usually a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to deal with many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type Overused threats, butand since Gastrodon can't really take many neutral physical hits, so a Scald burn on a switch-in will help it do its job. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes as Rotom-W and Starmie, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>¶

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]¶

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank Thundurus-T and Rock Polish Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also possible and will make Gastrodon able take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively switching into a physical attacker or trying to burn Terrakion or Scizor with Scald, since it will be able to take a hit or two. Keep in mind, though, that even onwith maximum Defense, Technician Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. It's thus best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that, despite all its good traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat continuous powerful attacks and defeat the attackers, and that any status will render it useless.</p>¶

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes,. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and might be able to answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, since it can take most Grass-types, while the (rain allows it to handle even some Hidden Power Fires), and put some Spikes in the field. Latios and Latias will take any Grass-type attack too, as well ashile resisting Fighting-type attacks and obliterating Fighting-types with ease. IOn a rain team, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can take Jellicent, though Scizor is recommended to Pursuit it; additionally, it handles Grass-type attacks well too. Tornadus-I, useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can take Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>¶

[SET]¶
name: Special Attacker¶
move 1: Surf / Scald¶
move 2: Earth Power¶
move 3: Ice Beam¶
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Recover¶
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb¶
ability: Storm Drain¶
nature: Modest¶
evs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 SpD¶

[SET COMMENTS]¶
<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf or Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, such as onea Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. Using Choice Specs, under rain, and adding inwith a boost from Storm Drain, Gastrodon's neutral coverage makes it an offensive presence to be dreaded, as it can severely hurt a lot of opposing Pokemon, even 2HKOing Blissey with Surf. Maximum power Surf and Earth Power can 2HKO Ferrothorn if you predict the switch-in. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon, so use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a high-damage Surf or an Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf because it is that damn good: it will burn physical opponents often, granting you a huge advantage, and burn damage will add up against specially attacking opposing Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, even defensive variants, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but usually Hidden Power Grass is a better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs; the ability to switch attacks is very welcome though. Life Orb set wills should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil from Life Orb, meanletting you canit survive with 1 HP after 10 attacks from full health once more. Keep in mind that, when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its raw potential power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>¶

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]¶

<p>You mightcan use 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe with Choice Specs or 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe with Life Orb spreads to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock damage 47.3% of the times, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins; withis assumes Stealth Rock up in the rain andwith a Storm Drain boost. If you are using Life Orb, you could run rRain Dance in the fourth moveslot to help with weather wars in forced switches; Hidden Power Grass isor Recover are recommended, thoughwever, to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil. Always keep in mind that, even though Scizor is crippled by Scald, it outspeeds and can use U-turn. Don't be bravea hero; switch out of it unless you can Scald it on the switch-in.</p>¶

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kind of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart does&mdash;mainly Grass-type resisting and status absorbing teammates, as well as Pokemon able to take common hard-hitting attacks like Hurricane, Close Combat, and Outrage. Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can takeincoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weakness perfectly as well and is a good offensive presence at the same time, being able toat can deal with dragons at the same time.</p>¶

[OTHER OPTIONS]¶

<p>There aren't many other viable options, really. A, as all of them are mainostly outclassed. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, since Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out. You could choose Clear Smog as a second move to stop a set up, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last resort move could come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better. Stockpile can be used, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeibut you losinge Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Specs Earth Power will tear apart opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory. However, but Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>¶

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]¶
<p>The main bane of Gastrodon are Grass-types: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, Ferrothorn, and others like them are an immediate switch out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch-in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up Steall the hazards possible Rock or Spikes. Most Natural Cure users can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into it. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from it and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitute Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free setup turn. Gastrodon is weak to status itself and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Salamence, and Garchomp, as well as Grass Knot Thundurus-T, and Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from these.</p>

Comments:
"has given some breath to Gastrodon". Some Breath makes no sense, needs changing.
Gastrodon doesn't resist any of Starmie or Rotom-w's common attacks,JS.
HP grass is only 5 BP more on Politoed than EP, and it's kind of a better move to be locked into. (levitators and flying-types mostly resist HP grass anyhow.)
Don't the LO and specs sets have different chances of 2Hitko'ing Chansey? And one's probably better at 2hitko'ing Blissey as well.
Ferrothorn cannot set up ALL the hazards possible, seeing as how it doesn't learn Toxic Spikes.
I don't even think Specstoed/Tran can OHKO Gastrodon with HP grass. (Maybe Tran but Specstran's rare as hell.) And Dismiss?

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEWverview]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances and a lone double weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, fifth generationBW buffed Storm Drain by granting into an immunity to Water-type moves, with a Special Attack boost when hit by one. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon wasn't ussuffered much due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has given some breathed life to our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in anti-rain and rain teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon is able to be used in rain, sandstorm, or weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. ButHowever, not everything shines for it, for Celebi, and Ferrothorn, and other counters are pretty common in the Overused metagame and its bulk is not as great as it mayight seem, making it easy to take advantage of Gastrodon, either easily KOing it or setting up on it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the lack ofow Defense investment, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a CB Close Combat from Choice Band Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also sponge both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33 to -66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67 to -47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Jirachi and Bbulky Swords Dance Scizor. (why isn't gastro trying to burn scizor???)</p>

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take the passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, asince Scald damage is boosted and, making it becomes a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders, that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can even take the uncommon Starmie's Grass Knot from Starmie and two Draco Meteors in a row from Life Orb Latios (it takes 99.67% minimum lol so i don't think it counts), forcing it to switch and healing damage back. In a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Scald, which, as we all know, will most likely burn it and thus render it useless (arguable: 2HKOed by the increasingly-common CBTar). In fact, Scald's burn chance is usuallymakes it a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to deal with many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type Overused threats; however, but Gastrodon can't really take many neutral physical hits, so a Scald burn on a switch-in wis usuall help it do its joby more beneficial. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes, such as Rotom-W and Starmie, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank Thundurus-T and Rock Polish Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also possiviable and will make Gastrodon able take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively, to switching into a physical attackers, or trying to burn Terrakion orand Scizor with Scald, asince it will be more able to take a hit or two. Keep in mind, though, that even onwith maximum Defense, TechniciChoice Band Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. It's thuThus, it's best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat continuous powerful attackers, and that any status will render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes,. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and might be able to answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, asince it can take mostcheck Grass-types, while theas rain allows it to handle even someweakens Celebi's Hidden Power Fires, and put some Spikes in the fieldset up entry hazards. Latios and Latias willcan take any Grass-type attack too, as well as resisting Fighting-type attacks and obliterating Fighting-typethe users with ease. IOn a rain teams, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can takecheck Jellicent, though Scizor is recommended to Pursuit it; additionally, it handles Grass-type attacks well too. Tornadus-I, which is useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can takhandle Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf or Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. Using Choice Specs, under rain, and adding in a boost from Storm Drain, Gastrodon's neutral coverage makes it an offensive presence to be dreadfeared, as it can severely hurt a lot of opposing Pokemon, evpotentially 2HKOing Blissey with Surf after Stealth Rock. Maximum power Surf and Earth Power can 2HKO Ferrothorn if you predict the switch-in. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon,; use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a high-damagepowerful Surf or an Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf because it is just that damn good: it will burn physical opponents often, granting you a huge advantage, and burn damage will add up against special attacking opposing Pokemonts. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, even specially defensive variants, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but usually Hidden Power Grass is a better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs; the ability to switch attacks is very welcome though. Life Orb set wills should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil from Life Orb, meaning you can attack from full health once more. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its raw potential power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You might use 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 SpThe suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with ChoiSurf or Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Specs or 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Spe with Life Orb spreadscs Latios. You can put the Special Defense EVs into Speed to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock damage 47.3% of the times47.3% of the time (when i calc i get 78.52% 2HKO), given a Storm Drain boost, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins; this into just Stealth Rock (these assumes rain and a Storm Drain boost). If you are using Life Orb, you couldan run rRain Dance in the fourth moveslot to help with weather wars in forced switches;; however, Hidden Power Grass is recommended though to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil are recommended. Always keep in mind that even though Scizor is crippled by Scald, it outspeeds and can use U-turn. Don't be brave; switch out of it unless you can Scald it on the switch-in.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kind of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart does&mdash;mainly Grass-typeteammates which resisting Grass and status absorbing steammateus, as well as Pokemon able to take common hard hitting attacks like Hurricane,such as Close Combat, and Outrage (hurricane is far less common now). Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take incoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks; watch out for Scizor's Superpower, however. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weaknesses (sounds less clumsy and covers bug neutrality, etc) perfectly as well and ihas a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to deal with dDragon-types.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONSther Options]

<p>There aren't many other viable options, really. All of, as themy are mainly outclassed. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, asince Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out. You could choose; it is a decent phazing move, though. Clear Smog ais viable in the second moslot on the defensive set to stop a set up, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move couldan come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway; however, Gastrodon is incredibly slow. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better. Stockpile can be usedis viable, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Choice Specs Earth Power will tear opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERShecks and Counters]
<p>The main bane ofGrass-types are Gastrodon are Grass-types's bane: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, and Ferrothorn, and others like them are an immediate switch -out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch-in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Pokemon with Natural Cure users can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into it barring offensive variants in rain. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from it and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitue Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status itself and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful physical attackers, such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from thesem.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances and a lone double weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, BW buffed Storm Drain into an immunity to Water-type moves, with a Special Attack boost when hit by one. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon suffered due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has breathed life to our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon is able to be used in rain, sandstorm, or weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. However, not everything shines for it, for Celebi, Ferrothorn, and other counters are common in the Overused metagame and its bulk is not as great as it might seem, making it easy to take advantage of Gastrodon, either easily KOing or setting up on it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the low Defense investment, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a Close Combat from Choice Band Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also sponge both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33-66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67-47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Jirachi and bulky Sword Dance Scizor. (why isn't gastro trying to burn scizor???)</p>

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, as Scald damage is boosted, making it a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders, that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can even take the uncommon Grass Knot from Starmie and two Draco Meteors in a row from Life Orb Latios (it takes 99.67% minimum lol so i don't think it counts), forcing it to switch and healing damage back. In a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Scald, which, as we all know, will most likely burn it and thus render it useless (arguable: 2HKOed by the increasingly-common CBTar). In fact, Scald's burn chance makes it a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to deal with many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type threats; however, Gastrodon can't really take many neutral physical hits, so a Scald burn on a switch-in is usually more beneficial. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes, such as Rotom-W and Starmie, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank Thundurus-T and Rock Polish Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also viable and will make Gastrodon able take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively, to switch into physical attackers, or to burn Terrakion and Scizor with Scald, as it will be more able to take a hit or two. Keep in mind, though, that even with maximum Defense, Choice Band Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. Thus, it's best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat powerful attackers, and that any status will render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and might be able to answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, as it can check Grass-types, as rain weakens Celebi's Hidden Power Fire, and set up entry hazards. Latios and Latias can take any Grass-type attack too, as well as Fighting-type attacks and obliterating the users with ease. On rain teams, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can check Jellicent, though Scizor is recommended to Pursuit it; additionally, it handles Grass-type attacks well too. Tornadus-I, which is useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can handle Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Using Choice Specs, under rain, and adding in a boost from Storm Drain, Gastrodon's neutral coverage makes it an offensive presence to be feared, as it can severely hurt a lot of opposing Pokemon, potentially 2HKOing Blissey with Surf after Stealth Rock. Maximum power Surf and Earth Power can 2HKO Ferrothorn if you predict the switch-in. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon; use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a powerful Surf or Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf because it is just that good: it will burn physical opponents often, granting you a huge advantage, and burn damage will add up against special attacking opponents. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, even specially defensive variants, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but usually Hidden Power Grass is a better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs; the ability to switch attacks is very welcome though. Life Orb sets should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil from Life Orb, meaning you can attack from full health once more. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its raw potential power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf or Scald, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. You can put the Special Defense EVs into Speed to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey 47.3% of the time (when i calc i get 78.52% 2HKO), given a Storm Drain boost, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins into just Stealth Rock (these assume rain and a Storm Drain boost). If you are using Life Orb, you can run Rain Dance in the fourth moveslot to help with weather wars; however, Hidden Power Grass to deal ith Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil are recommended. Always keep in mind that even though Scizor is crippled by Scald, it outspeeds and can use U-turn. Don't be brave; switch out of it unless you can Scald it on the switch-in.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kind of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart does&mdash;mainly teammates which resist Grass and absorb status, as well as Pokemon able to take common hard hitting attacks such as Close Combat and Outrage (hurricane is far less common now). Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take incoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks; watch out for Scizor's Superpower, however. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weaknesses (sounds less clumsy and covers bug neutrality, etc) perfectly as well and has a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to deal with Dragon-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There aren't many other viable options, really, as they are mainly outclassed. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, as Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out; it is a decent phazing move, though. Clear Smog is viable in the second slot on the defensive set to stop setup, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move can come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway; however, Gastrodon is incredibly slow. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better. Stockpile is viable, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Choice Specs Earth Power will tear opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Grass-types are Gastrodon's bane: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, and Ferrothorn are an immediate switch-out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch-in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Pokemon with Natural Cure can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into it barring offensive variants in rain. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from it and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitue Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status itself and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful attackers, such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from them.</p>

hey, i'd rather you go through this with the diff and just refer to the cp where it's unclear, as some of the wording was kinda clumsy. additionally, there were some odd QC things that just stood out (i think i caught them all :x)

[gp]2/2[/gp]

ps: sorry tehy, i did i fairly major check on this and couldn't really check over yours too easily

Joim

Pixels matter
Okay, great job Mikel, thanks for the GP!
I've added all changes and added the following:
-> and bulky Sword Dance Scizor, which you should try to burn with Scald first anyways.
-> and two Draco Meteors in a row from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch and healing damage back; though it will prefer to use Psyshock against Gastrodon.
-> [Tyranitar] render it useless, unless it's the dreaded Choice Band Tyranitar, in which case you can be easily 2HKOed.
-> If you are using Life Orb, you should move 20 HP EVs into SpD, using 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe to maximise the Life Orb number,

So this is quite ready now, I think! :)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mikel is a dumb. n_n
While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Jirachi and bulky Swords Dance Scizor, ; however, you should try to burn Scizor with Scald first anyways.which you should try to burn with Scald first anyways.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I made a couple executive changes to your analysis (The main one that I merged the onsite Special Attack set with yours) in addition to a ton of small changes.

I'm going to be frank; I didn't like the way you describe Scald in your analysis. I get it, Scalds burns all of the time in practice, but there is way too much of an emphasis on Scald's burn chance and its not something I want to see in an analysis. It doesn't burn all of the time, and you should never rely it deal with threats. A Scald burn is a luxury, not an asset that Gastrodon has access to.

For example:
In a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Scald, which, as we all know, will most likely burn it and thus render it useless, unless it's Choice Band Tyranitar, in which case you can be easily 2HKOed. In fact, Scald's burn chance makes it a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to deal with many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type threats; however, Gastrodon can't really take many neutral physical hits, so a Scald burn on a switch-in is usually more beneficial.
I had to re-tool this entire section because it was too Scald-centric, in addition to being wrong in some cases.

I also removed an entire section
You can use Scald over Surf because it is just that good: it will burn physical opponents often, granting you a huge advantage, and burn damage will add up against special attacking opponents.
Scald has no place on the Special Attacking set either outside of AC. It's not as equally viable as Surf and it goes against the entire point of using Specs Gastrodon in the first place.

So as a result of the many changes I made to this analysis, I'm requesting an additional GP Check.

[Overview]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances and a lone double weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, BW buffed Storm Drain into an immunity to Water-type moves, with a Special Attack boost when hit by one. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon suffered due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has breathed life to our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon is able to be used in rain, sandstorm, or weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. However, not everything shines for it, for Celebi, Ferrothorn, and other counters are common in the Overused metagame and its bulk is not as great as it might seem, making it easy to take advantage of Gastrodon, either easily KOing or setting up on it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the low Defense investment, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a Close Combat from Choice Band Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also tank both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33-66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67-47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Calm Mind Jirachi, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, as Scald damage is boosted, making it a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders, that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can anything Starmie throws at it (even the uncommon Grass Knot) and tank Draco Meteor from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch and healing damage back; though it will prefer to use Psyshock against Gastrodon. In a rain team, it can take whatever Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with a Earthquake or attempt to burn it with Scald, unless it's Choice Band Tyranitar, in which case you can be easily 2HKOed. Scald's burn chance makes it a better option than Ice Beam, which you can use to cripple many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type threats. However, Gastrodon can't always rely on Scald burn chance, and Ice Beam is useful for dealing significant damage to Garchomp, Salamence and Landorus. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes, such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank Thundurus-T and Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also viable and will make Gastrodon able take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively, to switch into physical attackers, or to burn Terrakion and Scizor with Scald, as it will be more able to take a hit or two. Keep in mind, though, that even with maximum Defense, Choice Band Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. Thus, it's best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tank and defeat powerful attackers, and that any status will render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and might be able to answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, as it can check Grass-types, as rain weakens Celebi's Hidden Power Fire, and set up entry hazards. Latios and Latias can take any Grass-type attack too, as well as Fighting-type attacks and obliterating the users with ease. On rain teams, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can check Jellicent. Tornadus-I, which is useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can handle Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Surf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs, a Storm Drain boost, and possible Drizzle support from an opponent's Politoed or your own, Choice Specs Gastrodon is a very real threat in today's metagame with its perfect neutral coverage. To put its power into perspective, with all of the above, Gastrodon has the equivalent of 1046 Special Attack when using Surf. Opponents will have serious problems switching into Gastrodon; maximum power Surf is guaranteed to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn. If you predict it switching in, Earth Power deals 52.8% - 62.5% to even the most specially defensive variants. Surf also deals 40.49 - 47.85% to standard Blissey; unfortunately, this misses a guaranteed 2HKO, but it certainly dents it enough to make it scramble for recovery. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon; use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a powerful Surf or Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf for the potential burn chance, but it comes with a significant decrease in power. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but locking yourself into a recovery move is risky, so Hidden Power Grass is usually the better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs. Life Orb sets should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil from Life Orb, meaning you can attack from full health once more. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its raw potential power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it is still able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. You can put the Special Defense EVs into Speed to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey 78.52% of the time, given a Storm Drain boost, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins into just Stealth Rock (these assume rain and a Storm Drain boost). If you are using Life Orb, you should move 20 HP EVs into SpD, using 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe to maximise the Life Orb number, also you can run Rain Dance in the fourth moveslot in this case to help with weather wars; however, Hidden Power Grass to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil are recommended.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kind of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart does&mdash;mainly teammates which resist Grass and absorb status, as well as Pokemon able to take common hard hitting attacks such as Close Combat and Outrage. Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take incoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks; watch out for Scizor's Superpower, however. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weaknesses perfectly as well and has a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to check Dragon-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There aren't many other viable options, really, as they are mainly outclassed. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, as Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out; it is a decent phazing move, though. Clear Smog is viable in the second slot on the defensive set to stop setup, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move can come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway; however, Gastrodon is incredibly slow. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better. Stockpile is viable, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Choice Specs Earth Power will tear opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are Gastrodon's bane: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, and Ferrothorn are an immediate switch-out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch-in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Pokemon with Natural Cure can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into it barring offensive variants in rain. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from it and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitue Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status itself and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful attackers, such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from them.</p>

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances, and a lone double4x weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, BW buffed Storm Drain into an immunity to Water-type moves, withgranting Gastrodon a Special Attack boost whenever it is hit by onea Water-type attack. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon suffered due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has breathed life into our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon can vis able toy be used in rain, sandstorm, orand weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability, it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon such as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. However, not everything shiis good news for it, forGastrodon; Celebi, Ferrothorn, and other counters are common in the Overused metagame, and its bulk is not as great as it might seem, making it easy to take advantage of Gastrodon, by either easily KOing or setting up on it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the low Defense investment, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a Close Combat from Choice Band Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also tank both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33-66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67-47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with a high Special Defense, such as Calm Mind Jirachi, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, as Scald damage is boosted, making it a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders, that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can withstand anything Starmie throws at it (even the uncommon Grass Knot) and tank a Draco Meteor from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch out while Gastrodond healings off the damage back; , although itt Latios will prefer to use Psyshock against Gastrodon. In a rain team, it can take whateverany attack from Tyranitar tries to hit it with and answer with an Earthquake or attempt to burn it with Scald, unless it's; however, Choice Band Tyranitar, in which case you can be easily 2HKOes Gastrodon. Scald's burn chance makes it a better option than Ice Beam, which youas it can be used to cripple many of the Dragon-type and Ground-type threats. However, Gastrodon can't always rely on Scald's burn chance, and Ice Beam is useful for dealing significant damage to Garchomp, Salamence and Landorus. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes, such as Rotom-W and Jellicent, that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank hits from Thundurus-T and Landorus hits better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also viable and will make Gastrodon able to take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively, to switch into physical attackers, or toand burn Terrakion and Scizor with Scald, as it will be more able to take a hit or two from Pokemon with high Attack. Keep in mind, though, that even with maximum Defense, Choice Band Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. Thus, it's best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to tankswitch into and defeat powerful attackers, and th; to make matters worse, any status will render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and might be able topotentially answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, as it can check Grass-types, as rain weakens Celebi's&mdash;not even fearing Hidden Power Fire, provided rain is up&mdash;and set up entry hazards. Latios and Latias can take any Grass-type attack too, as well asnd Fighting-type attacks and obliteratinge the users of these attacks with ease. On rain teams, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can check Jellicent. Tornadus-I, which is useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can handle Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs, a Storm Drain boost, and possible Drizzle support from an opponent's Politoed or your own, Choice Specs Gastrodon is a very real threat in today's metagame with its perfect neutral coverage. To put its power into perspective, with all of the aboveits potential boosts added together, Gastrodon has the equivalent of 1046 Special Attack when using Surf. Opponents will have serious problems switching into Gastrodon; maximum power after a Storm Drain boost; rain-boosted Surf at +1 is guaranteed to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn. If you predict it switching in, +1 Earth Power deals 52.8% - 62.5% to even the most specially defensive variants. +1 Surf under rain also deals 40.49 - 47.85% to standard Blissey; unfortunately, this misses a guaranteed 2HKO, but it certainly dents it enough to make it scramble for recovery. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon; use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a powerful Surf or Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf for the potential burn chance, but it comes with a significant decrease in power. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but locking yourself into a recovery move is risky, so Hidden Power Grass is usually the better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs. Life Orb sets should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to get the least amount of recoil fromminimize Life Orb, meaning you can attack from full health once more recoil. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its raw potential for raw power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, and it iswhile still being able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. You can put the Special Defense EVs into Speed to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey 78.52% of the time, given a Storm Drain boost, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins into just Stealth Rock (these assume rain and a Storm Drain boost). If you are using Life Orb, you should move 20 HP EVs into SpD, using 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe to maxinimise thze Life Orb number, also you can runrecoil. Rain Dance can be run in the fourth moveslot in this case to help with weather wars; however, Hidden Power Grass to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil are recommended.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kinds of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart dolikes&mdash;mainly teammates whichthat resist Grass and absorb status, as well as Pokemon able to take common hard hittingpowerful attacks such as Close Combat and Outrage. Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take incoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks; watch out for Scizor's Superpower, however. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weaknesses perfectly as well and has a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to check Dragon-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There aren't manyMost of Gastrodon's other viable options, really, as they are mainly outclassed by the moves given. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, as Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out; it is a decent phazing move, though. Clear Smog is viable in the second slot on the defensive set to stop setup, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move can come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway; however, Gastrodon is incredibly slow, making it liable to be KOed before it can use Memento. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better as this strategy is difficult to use. Stockpile is viable, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or you will be letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor, and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Choice Specs Earth Power will tear apart opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory and Bronzong. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are Gastrodon's bane: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, and Ferrothorn are an immediate switch-out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch- in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Pokemon with Natural Cure can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into itany Gastrodon barring offensive variants in rain. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from itGastrodon and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds, too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitute Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status, itself, and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful attackers, such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from them.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Gastrodon is a Pokemon blessed in typing and ability, boasting two immunities, four resistances, and a lone 4x weakness to Grass-type attacks. As if that wasn't enough, BW buffed Storm Drain into an immunity to Water-type moves, granting Gastrodon a Special Attack boost whenever it is hit by a Water-type attack. Not much has changed in the transition to BW2, where Gastrodon suffered due to its relative frailness and weakness to status; however, the ban of Genesect and Tornadus-T has breathed life into our beloved sea slug, giving it a place in teams without the constant fear of being obliterated.</p>

<p>Gastrodon can viably be used in rain, sandstorm, and weatherless teams thanks to its attributes, and with its useful ability, it comes in handy in the current Water-type plagued metagame. Gastrodon can completely wall common Pokemon such as Starmie and Rotom-W with ease, being immune or resistant to their main attacks. However, not everything is good news for Gastrodon; Celebi, Ferrothorn, and other counters are common in the Overused metagame, and its bulk is not as great as it might seem, making it easy to take advantage of Gastrodon by either easily KOing or setting up on it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set enhances Gastrodon's special bulk, allowing for an offensive and defensive presence at the same time. Despite the low Defense investment, the suggested EV spread allows Gastrodon to survive a Close Combat from Choice Band Terrakion and a Choice Band Outrage from Garchomp at full HP. It will also tank both Psyshock and Secret Sword, taking 56.33-66.43% from Choice Specs Latios and 39.67-47.18% from Choice Scarf Keldeo. While Earth Power benefits from a Storm Drain boost and Gastrodon has a marginally better Special Attack stat, unboosted Gastrodon will usually find Earthquake better to deal with threats with high Special Defense, such as Calm Mind Jirachi, Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>Gastrodon can be used effectively in any kind of team; in sandstorm teams it won't take passive damage, but it shines more in a rain team, as Scald damage is boosted, making it a more perilous threat. It can check and counter common offensive threats for both rain and sandstorm teams, being able to absorb all incoming Hydro Pumps, Scalds, Thunderbolts, and Thunders, that would otherwise seriously damage your team members. With its bulk it can take some special hits, force a switch, and then Recover back the health. It can withstand anything Starmie throws at it (even the uncommon Grass Knot) and tank a Draco Meteor from Life Orb Latios, forcing it to switch out while Gastrodon heals off the damage, althought Latios will prefer to use Psyshock against Gastrodon. In a rain team, it can take any attack from Tyranitar and answer with an Earthquake or attempt to burn it with Scald; however, Choice Band Tyranitar easily 2HKOes Gastrodon. Scald's burn chance makes it a better option than Ice Beam, as it can be used to cripple many Dragon-type and Ground-type threats. However, Gastrodon can't always rely on Scald's burn chance, and Ice Beam is useful for dealing significant damage to Garchomp, Salamence and Landorus. Gastrodon can spread status easily with its ability to force switches, so Toxic is a must, especially to deal with foes such as Rotom-W and Jellicent that get walled but don't take much damage from Gastrodon's puny attacks. Recover is not up for discussion; every defensive Gastrodon should use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can use a more specially oriented spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to tank hits from Thundurus-T and Landorus better. An EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD with a Bold nature is also viable and will make Gastrodon able to take physical attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat. With this spread, Gastrodon has more chances to use Ice Beam effectively, switch into physical attackers, and burn Terrakion and Scizor with Scald, as it will be more able to take a hit or two from Pokemon with high Attack. Keep in mind, though, that even with maximum Defense, Choice Band Scizor's U-turn still deals a lot of damage. Thus, it's best to use Recover against a Scizor, predicting the aforementioned U-turn to heal back to almost full health after it. Be aware that despite all its traits, Gastrodon isn't really bulky enough to switch into and defeat powerful attackers; to make matters worse, any status will render it useless.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Gastrodon are, ironically, its foes. Grass-types will resist attacks thrown at Gastrodon and potentially answer with a coverage move. Ferrothorn is a good ally, as it can check Grass-types&mdash;not even fearing Hidden Power Fire provided rain is up&mdash;and set up entry hazards. Latios and Latias can take Grass- and Fighting-type attacks and obliterate the users of these attacks with ease. On rain teams, SubToxic Tentacruel is another good teammate, since it can check Jellicent. Tornadus-I, which is useful on rain teams due to its powerful Hurricane, can handle Fighting- and Grass-types as well.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs, a Storm Drain boost, and possible Drizzle support from an opponent's Politoed or your own, Choice Specs Gastrodon is a very real threat in today's metagame with its perfect neutral coverage. To put its power into perspective, with all of its potential boosts added together, Gastrodon has the equivalent of 1046 Special Attack when using Surf. Opponents will have serious problems switching into Gastrodon after a Storm Drain boost; rain-boosted Surf at +1 is guaranteed to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn. If you predict it switching in, +1 Earth Power deals 52.8% - 62.5% to even the most specially defensive variants. +1 Surf under rain also deals 40.49 - 47.85% to standard Blissey; unfortunately, this misses a guaranteed 2HKO, but it certainly dents it enough to make it scramble for recovery. Most opponents will expect defensive Gastrodon; use this to your advantage and surprise unsuspecting foes with a powerful Surf or Earth Power. You can use Scald over Surf for the potential burn chance, but it comes with a significant decrease in power. Hidden Power Grass obliterates opposing Gastrodon, and deals with Rotom-W and Politoed. You could use Recover on a forced switch to get health back if you are using Choice Specs, but locking yourself into a recovery move is risky, so Hidden Power Grass is usually the better option. A Life Orb set can be used with Recover, but you miss out on 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and Gastrodon really appreciates the extra power from Specs. Life Orb sets should use a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 SpD to minimize Life Orb recoil. Keep in mind when using an offensively oriented Gastrodon that, despite its potential for raw power, it's still very slow and won't be able to tank many hits before fainting.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The suggested spread allows Gastrodon to be an offensive presence, dealing heavy damage with Surf, Earth Power, and Ice Beam, while still being able to take some hits, such as one Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latios. You can put the Special Defense EVs into Speed to outspeed and 2HKO Chansey 78.52% of the time, given a Storm Drain boost, and Blissey after Stealth Rock and Spikes damage or two switch-ins into just Stealth Rock (these assume rain and a Storm Drain boost). If you are using Life Orb, you should move 20 HP EVs into SpD, using 104 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 132 Spe to minimize Life Orb recoil. Rain Dance can be run in the fourth moveslot in this case to help with weather wars; however, Hidden Power Grass to deal with Water-types or Recover to heal back the recoil are recommended.</p>

<p>Offensive Gastrodon will appreciate the same kinds of Pokemon that its defensive counterpart likes&mdash;mainly teammates that resist Grass and absorb status, as well as Pokemon able to take common powerful attacks such as Close Combat and Outrage. Ferrothorn is the perfect teammate for any Gastrodon, as it can take incoming Toxics, Grass-type attacks, U-turns, and Dragon-type attacks; watch out for Scizor's Superpower, however. Heatran covers Gastrodon's weaknesses perfectly as well and has a good offensive presence at the same time, being able to check Dragon-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of Gastrodon's other options are outclassed by the moves given. For instance, you'd rather use Toxic over Yawn when inflicting status, as Yawn takes an extra turn and won't work if the opposing Pokemon switches out; it is a decent phazing move, though. Clear Smog is viable in the second slot on the defensive set to stop setup, but its damage will be very low. Memento as a last move can come in handy, forcing a switch when Gastrodon is about to faint anyway; however, Gastrodon is incredibly slow, making it liable to be KOed before it can use Memento. Gastrodon can run Counter and Mirror Coat to deal back huge damage to opponents, but generally the other options will work better as this strategy is difficult to use. Stockpile is viable, but it is not recommended in the current hyper offensive metagame, as most of the time you will be wasting turns using it or letting opponents set up on you. You could run Hidden Power Fire, but Scald does better against Scizor, and Ferrothorn will OHKO Gastrodon with Power Whip. Additionally, you can use Sand Force in a sandstorm team for a more powerful Earth Power, albeit losing Gastrodon's main niche and one immunity. Sand Force Choice Specs Earth Power will tear apart opposing Steel-types, bar Skarmory and Bronzong. However, Storm Drain will be a better choice most of the time, since a lot of Gastrodon's effectiveness lies in its use as a rain counter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are Gastrodon's bane: Venusaur, Breloom, Celebi, Roserade, Amoonguss, Virizon, and Ferrothorn are an immediate switch-out for our sea slug friend. Physical attackers, especially Ferrothorn, must be wary of an incoming Scald, since the burn can ruin them, although Ferrothorn will most likely switch in anyway, Leech Seed Gastrodon, and proceed to set up all the hazards possible. Most Pokemon with Natural Cure can take a Toxic and switch out, and even take hits from unboosted Gastrodon&mdash;Blissey, Chansey, and Shaymin will have no trouble switching into any Gastrodon barring offensive variants in rain. Hydration Vaporeon takes little damage from Gastrodon and will be able to get rid of Toxic too. Despite being uncommon, be aware that Politoed and Heatran can use Hidden Power Grass to dismiss Gastrodon in one turn. Fast Substitute and Taunt users will tear Gastrodon into shreds, too&mdash;Gyarados, Latias, Jellicent, Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Substitute Kyurem get a free switch-in on Gastrodon and a free set up turn. Gastrodon is weak to status, itself, and Toxic will cripple its utility, forcing it to switch out before having its HP devoured. In addition to all the previous threats, Gastrodon will have a hard time facing powerful attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Grass Knot Thundurus-T, Secret Sword Keldeo, Salamence, and Garchomp, even though at full health or with some bulk it can survive a hit from them.</p>

GP Approved 3/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
Seeing as Scald isn't slashed any more, are you really supposed to talk about it before you explain HP grass? And you don't even talk about Ice Beam in the set comments;in fact, you only mention it when you say it 'does heavy damage'. (Talking about Specs/LO set here)

And I'm still pretty sure Gastro can take HP grass from Politoed and Tran, possibly even specs from the former. A minor concern,though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)