let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Sturdy | Splash Plate
84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge​

As one of the deadliest sweepers in the LC metagame, Tirtouga is one of the few physical attackers who can break through Mienfoo with a neutral move. Splash Plate Aqua Tail will usually OHKO at +2, which is huge for any setup sweeper. Aqua Jet does massive damage to faster Pokemon and wrecks Murkrow, who can't do much unless it has HP Grass. Stone Edge just deals ridiculous amounts of damage (if it hits), OHKOing Staryu and Chinchou. (It also does a rather hilarious 300% damage to Snover.)

By running Tirtouga, we automatically have a much better matchup against Sand teams, one of the most annoying threats to most offensive teams. The combination of Drilbur and Sandshrew can outrun most offensive Pokemon after a boost and stop key sweeps with their strong Earthquakes. Tirtouga can easily take both out after a Shell Smash with Aqua Jet, and can revenge them unboosted if there is some prior damage. In addition, the mere presence of Tirtouga means that opponents must play checks such as Ferroseed or Lileep much more cautiously, lest Lileep take even something as weak as a defensive Mienfoo U-turn and die to Stone Edge. Tirtouga opens up many options for us, as we no longer need to run a hard sand counter- some soft counter and Tirtouga is more than enough with careful play.

I have to

Rain Dish@Life Orb
36Hp/236Spa/236/Spe Timid
0 hp iv's
  • Hurricane
  • Scald
  • Ice Beam
  • Roost

This pokemon, while counterable, can demolish most of the metagame with its ridiculously powerful attacks, stellar coverage, and great speed. Hitting the 19 speed teir, it can outspeed or tie with just about anything. While it had trouble with faster attackers like Scarfed Murkrow and Scarfed Magnemite, a dedicated team could support Wingull and turn it into an incredible threat

I like it, go Wingull! :D

However since you are using a Life Orb, wouldn't it be smarter to run 0 hp IV's so you hit 19 hp to reduce the recoil?

I would also seriously consider using U-turn over Roost to ease predicting switches into the likes of chinchou

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
damnit iss I was going to post tirtouga

ah well I have other ideas up my sleeve

since this round's topic is the concept of overzealous offense in one spectrum of typing / stat based moves, I think choosing a pokemon that can hit hard with a move that is able to dent much of the metagame without drawbacks is what we should be aiming for in pokemon numero uno. I like iss's idea of Tirtouga, as Water / Rock type coverage is pretty much unresisted, bar Croagunk and maybe some other pokemon I have forgotten. However, there are more pokemon that can hit with good coverage- and one of these pokemon is Swords Dance Pawniard.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Jolly, Defiant
156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Sucker Punch
~ Brick Break
~ Iron Head

Pawniard is an offensive powerhouse. Despite not having much speed, it has a great typing, as well as access to extremely powerful priority in Sucker Punch. Using its great typing and resistances, you can set up on a lot of opponents, including common threats such as choice locked Snover, Lileep, Bulky Murkrow, and many others. Swords Dance boosts its already really high Atk to monstrous levels, with absolutely no drawbacks- turning it from an already scary revenge killer into a pokemon that can clean up whole entire teams with SPunch, Brick Break, and Iron Head, which is unresisted coverage. It isn't even all that slow- 60 Spe is decent in LC, and allows Jolly Pawniard to tie with pokemon like Adamant Drilbur and Adamant Mienfoo.

I like it, go Wingull! :D

However since you are using a Life Orb, wouldn't it be smarter to run 0 hp IV's so you hit 19 hp to reduce the recoil?

I would also seriously consider using U-turn over Roost to ease predicting switches into the likes of chinchou
It enjoys the roost, but yeah I'll change the iv's

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, it looks as if all of the submissions are in and it's time to get to voting again!

Here is this round's concept:
Concept: Overwhelming Offense

Purpose: Create a team that is meant to overwhelm a specific Pokemon's checks and counters (that isn't SandMag and is thus less well checked) in order to set up a sweep for the other thing.

Description: Things are easy to wear down in this tier. I'm sure spamming Fire types or Water types or Fighting types or something can lead to some sort of sweep.

Things to Consider:
Offenses greatest nemeses, Drilbur and Murkrow
Handling the tier
BEING STRONG

Sorry not much detail...just "spam Pokemon checked by the same stuff to WIN IT VIGOROUSLY"

Here are the submissions:
~blarajan's Scraggy
~corkscrew's drifloon
~shouting's Ghastly
~sarkynin's Murkrow
~iss's Tirtouga
~JacobNinja's Wingull
~Electrolyte's Pawniard

Users with Bonus Voting points:
blarajan- 1.5

users with Bonus Voting points will have a weighted vote! Instead of representing one vote, blarajan's vote will count as the vote of one and a half people! (please don't ask me how this happens) Although the difference is small, it could easily determine the winner of a tie!

Speaking of ties, they will be broken by yours truly. NO VOTING YOUR YOURSELF.

Get voting! I'll give this about a week.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shouting's Gastly
Gastly is a really good mon for the concept in my opinion, shouting made some really good points about hazards etc. ghost seems like something that could very easily break down it's counters.

I go for iss's tirtouga it is a staple of a team able to do more things with a weaker moveset then mons with amazing movesets

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
oh yeah and NO VOTING FOR YOURSELF

I've added it to the OP;

Jacob's vote --> me
Corkscrew's vote --> shouting

you guys may continue

Corkscrew's Drifloon beats out Shouting's Gastly by a hair... I love Ghost types... Anyway, I think Drifloon is a great Pokémon for this concept, and is deadly in the right players hands. I was about to make a team around Drifloon anyway, so this thread could give me ideas...

Going to vote for Electrolyte's Pawniard because it's really underrated. It would be interesting to see what pokemon we can use to lure in and take out your usual checks to Pawniard like Mienfoo and Croagunk - such a task in itself is pretty anti-meta since fighting types are one of the most common types in LC

This is a very difficult choice... I really like Pawniard, Scraggy and Drifloon sets but seeing that Pawniard really is an underrated threat and I really love Dark-types I'll have to go with Electrolyte's Pawniard

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Corkscrew's Drifloon
The problem with attempting to overwhelm checks like Mienfoo (re: choosing mons like Pawniard and Scraggy) is that Mienfoo has Regenerator to bring itself back to full health over the course of the game; imo regen mons are going to be the hardest to attempt to wear down with this strategy. I would rather choose Pokemon that can handle all of the regenerator mons in the tier, and as Drifloon OHKOes Foongus and Mienfoo and 2HKOes Slowpoke it appears to be the right choice. Drifloon also gives us versatility in running "double bird" with Murkrow later on or "double ghost" with Misdreavus (which is honestly superior to Gastly in most respects, I'm not sure why we would go for Gastly). Or maybe both :o. Drifloon's checks tend to get worn down over the course of the game (see: bronzor, porygon) and if we get hazards up or take one out with Destiny Bond then Drifloon can be an ideal choice to start off a hyper overwhelming offense team.

One of the points mentioned under Things to Consider for this team is handling Drilbur and Murkrow. For this reason my vote goes to iss's Tirtouga.

Shouting's Gastly

Gastly used to be amazing before krow/missy(/gligar) unban, but missy pretty much took over it's spot. Yet, i'm sure it's subhypnosis set can still wreck stuff

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Ok, time to close voting!

This week's winner is Corkscrew's Drifloon!

Drifloon @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 SAtk / 4 Def / 4 SDef
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power something else
- Destiny Bond

Besides its ability to destroy opponents with just its cuteness, Drifloon also packs a fast and powerful punch with its Acrobatics. Because there are relatively few Rock / Electric / Steel types that actually have good enough bulk to take a Flying Gem Acrobatics, Drifloon can punch holes in teams easily. With Shadow Ball and Hidden Power as coverage moves, the amount of counters it has is even less. What a great submission!

+0.5 Voting points goes to Corkscrew!

Now, let's start our pokemon #2 submissions.. Keep in mind, our concept is overwhelming offense- to concentrate on one attack style so much that the opponent's walls are overwhelmed and KO'd.

I'll give you guys about a week to get your ideas in. Don't be afraid to discuss your opinions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)