Smogon Tournament #9
Signups | Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5 | Round 6 | Quarterfinals
Welcome to this year's Official Smogon Tournament, the ninth installment of one of Smogon's most prestigious tournaments. The OST is one of Smogon's longest standing traditions in tournaments and has crowned many great Pokemon players as its champions across three generations. Over the next few months, hundreds of players will compete to the best of their ability as they attempt to join the exclusive ranks of the OST trophy holders. Only one of those players will succeed in their journey and earn the recognition that comes with their victory, along with the iconic OST trophy.
This year, however, there will be more on the line than just a prestigious trophy. In addition to the trophy and the bragging rights that come with it, the winner of the tournament will receive a brand new Nintendo 3DS
, and second place will receive a copy of Black 2 or White 2
! The top four players will also receive an exclusive Smogon T-shirt.
Tournament Rules, Guidelines, and General Information
gr8astard vs Thatsjustpeachy
Standard Rules and Clauses
- This is a standard BW2 OU tournament.
- The tournament will be single elimination.
- Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
- Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown! If both players agree, matches may also be played on Pokemon Online 2.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips
- Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
- Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
- Evasion Clause: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets.
- OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
- Team Preview: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
- Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
- Uber Clause: Players may not use any items, moves, abilities, or Pokemon that appear on Smogon's OU Ban List. If the tiers change or new items, abilities, moves, or Pokemon become available in the middle of a round, the changes will take effect in the following round. There will be an announcement in the relevant round if this occurs.
: We are changing the rules for activity / coin flip decisions for this tournament. In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity.
To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request
" in bold.
If you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.
Timer / Disconnection Rules
: Timer Clause will be strictly enforced
for this tournament. This means that the normal disconnection rules found in the Tournament Rules, Guidelines, and Information thread do not apply. If a player disconnects and does not reconnect to their battle before the timer expires, they lose that particular game. This doesn't necessarily mean they lose the entire best-of-three set.
Playing Before Predictions Close
: Please avoid playing before the predictions in the predictions tournament close. If you absolutely must play before predictions close, do not report the result in the thread until after the predictions close. Reporting the outcome will result in the deletion of your post. Attempts to nullify the match on the basis that it was played before the allotted time will be ignored and may result in a sportsmanship infraction.
History is on the line for these two worthy combatants. On one side with have gr8astard, a member of the new crop of tournament players who are just as talented as they are obnoxious. gr8astard will try to become the second player in the history of Official Smogon Tournaments to make it to the finals after having already lost a series. Will he make the same mistake as locopoke and falter in the finals, or will he rise to the occasion and become the first double elimination OST champion? Standing in the way of gr8astard and glory is none other than Thatsjustpeachy, the runner-up of OST8, who has once again put together an impressive run. She looks to follow in the footsteps of Bluewind and become only the second woman ever to twice make it to the finals of an official individual tournament. Much like gr8astard, she will attempt to avoid the mistakes of her predecessor by losing in the finals twice, but if that doesn't work out she can always join Bluewind's LoL crew. Who will emerge victorious in this exciting clash of titans? What does Double01 think about all this? Is Thatsjustpeachy really a girl? And most importantly, how the hell did Snunch win last year? ~ Iconic
DestinyUnknown vs Conflict
The deadline for the Semifinals will be 11:59PM EST on the 25th of February, 2013
. Any matches not played by this time will be coin flipped unless one or both players have submitted a request for an activity win.
All four of these players have won themselves a Smogon T-shirt already; congratulations. The major prizes as well as the elusive OST trophy are now within reach. Good luck!