Hydreigon is High!

Hello everyone. I am here to show you a team featuring Hydreigon. (: Hydreigon is a powerful pokemon in this metagame since little to no pokes can switch into a hydreigon and come out alive. However, Hydreigon has bad speed. This team is meant to make up for the bad speed by paralyzing the opposing pokemon and beating common priority users. So far I am 13-0-3 with this team.

Teambuilding Process:

This is the pokemon I built my team around.

I added Celebi because it resists fighting which helps me fend off mach punchers like Breloom and Conkeldurr.

Scizor can beat the threatening Terrakion. Also I need a Dragon resist. Lati@s outspeeds Hydreigon and walls Celebi so Scizor also helps defeating them. I noticed that my first two pokemon are weak to ice and Scizor's STAB Bullet Punch kills Ice type pokemon such as Mamoswine.

I think that Gyarados is the best Scizor counter there is. It has Intimidate, and resists both of its STABs. Its helpful ability, the ability to force switches and to spread paralysis makes a great fit to this team.

My team looked good at this point but I realized I have nothing to resist Flying and Rock type moves. So, I just smacked Jirachi on the team. It's ability to paraflinch pokemon is amazing and helpful. Also, the typing helps a lot.

Starmie, the spinner of the team. My team was complete but it needed a spinner. Gyarados really helps me against those physical sweepers so I need him to live as long as possible. I am debating of whether Starmie should be my spinner or not. However, Starmie is the fastest spinner and usually gets to spin before you can even kill it.

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Roost

The sweeper of the team. I chose Life Orb over Expert Belt because the damage output is way bigger with LO. 252 SAtk EVs and Mild Nature to maximize the power this pokemon has. I won't be able to paralyze EVERY pokemon so I put 252 Spd EVs as well to outspeed slower base speed pokemon that would otherwise outspeed me. 4 EVs to into Attack to give Superpower a little bit more power. Draco Meteor/Fire Blast is there for a STAB move and coverage. Superpower is used to beat special walls like Blissey and other pokemon that are 4x weak to Fighting like Tyranitar. Superpower also beats Heatran as well. Roost is there for Hydreigon to live long and cancel out the LO recoil. I have many chances to Roost by how many pokemon this pokemon is able to scare. As you can see, Draco Meteor and Superpower lowers my stats but that doesn't really matter. 1. If I defeat a pokemon, my opponent is obviously going to bring something that is able to defeat Hydreigon. 2. Fire Blast still does a lot of damage to Ferrothorn and 4x weak to fire pokemon even at -2 SpA.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock/U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

The Special Wall of this team. The EV spread I use gives Celebi maximum SpD. I use Psychic over Giga Drain because the point of Celebi is to beat Fighting types like Conkeldurr, Keldeo and Breloom. I have SR on this pokemon because it couldn't fit on Jirachi's moveset. The only reason I put U-turn as an option just incase people convinces me to use a different spinner that can setup rocks like Donphan or Forretress. But, leaving SR on Celebi is fine. T-Wave is to paralyze pokemon and Recover is to increase its durability.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor doesn't need to setup with this team. Also, I don't want to be locked in a certain move. Therefore, I am using this set. I gave Scizor a lot of HP EVs and some SDef EVs to take Dragon type and other moves better. Adamant nature to improve its attack. I have pursuit to catch pokemon that are afraid of Scizor and try to switch. Bullet Punch is to kill weakened pokemon and sometimes it doesn't need to be weakened for Scizor to kill it with Scizor's power. U-turn is gain momentum and do some damage to some switch-ins. I have Roost to cancel out the Life Orb recoil.

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute/Taunt
- Waterfall

The physical wall. Its ability Intimidate is able to weaken physical sweepers. Also, Gyarados is immune to Ground type moves and resists Fighting. The EVs I have gives Gyarados maximum physical defense. T-Wave is to paralyze pokemon. Dragon Tail helps me phase so I can spread more paralysis. I have Substitute over Taunt because Gyarados forces lots of switches and can easily setup a Sub. This move has been really helpful. Taunt hasn't been helpful as Sub has. Waterfall is Gyarados's STAB move.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Spd
- Substitute
- Body Slam/T-Wave
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

This set allows Jirachi to spread paralysis easily. The EVs I use makes Jirachi able to make 101 HP Subs and to add to bulkiness. 64 Spd is outspeed Max Speed Scizor. The rest of the EVs go into Atk and I have a Adamant nature to increase Jirachi's power. Sub is always a helpful move to use. Jirachi isn't as threatening as other pokemon in my team but Sub does help. Body Slam is there to paralyze and do damage to opposing pokemon. I chose this over T-Wave because Body Slam is able to paralyze Ground types like Landorus. Iron Head has a high flinch chance and it has STAB with Jirachi. Fire Punch is used to beat Steel types that would wall me otherwise.

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

The spinner of the team. The EVs I use gives Starmie maximum Speed. I use 252 HP EVs to give Starmie more bulk. Scald and Psyshock are its 2 STAB Moves. Rapid Spin is why Starmie is on my team. Rapid Spin spine hazards away. Recover increases its durability. Sadly, Starmie is the most replaceable member of my team because the only point of this pokemon is to spin Rocks. I am open to any suggestions to replace Starmie. Starmie is fine on this team but there is always space for improvement (:

Importable:

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SDef
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Spd
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Well, I really hope you enjoy this RMT. This is the first RMT I have ever done, so I am sorry if I make mistakes but no one is perfect. (: Anyways, thank you for taking your time to read this RMT. I really appreciate it!

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a very nice OU team. It has equal amounts of resistance.

I only have one major change. I'd suggest Choice Scarf Heatran over Jirachi. Reasoning would be this: your team has no Scarfers, which is vital to almost every serious OU team to revenge kill. Also, with Heatran, you have an overall better resistance to offending Pokemon. You have better resistance to -Bug and -Ghost type pokemon, immunity to -Fire type with Heatran, and a better resiatnce to -Dark types, all of which Jirachi couldn't manage. http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1287|903|864|782|1137|1448| This website shows that your team can handle almost every type. Volcarona, for example, is easier to handle. Here is the set I recommend:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Dragon Pulse
This set makes use of Heatran's powerful Sp.Atk, along with giving it the speed to outspeed Pokemon with Base 130 or below. Overheat is for that extra power, but if you don't like the Sp.Atk drop, Fire Blast is an excellent alternative. Eart Power handles other Heatran. Flamethrower could be exchanged for another coverage move if you choose Fire Blast. HP Ice is ultimately the best choice for Slot 4, but Dragon Pulse could be used for more power, but less coverage.

Everything else looks good from my point of view; good luck with the team! :)

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

That's an okay team but you could definitely change some stuff. Your team itself is pretty slow and like Governess said, you could definitely use a scarfer. Since your team is fairly slow and not so potent offensively you'll end up giving a lot of free set up to dangerous things like Dragonite who will sweep your weakened team pretty easily. You can definitely scarf Jirachi as it's one of the most effective scarfers atm. It has excellent coverage and access to cool moves like U-turn to keep the momentum on your side, as well as a cool set of resistances. Its Speed isn't that great but it does the job most of the time.

Then, like most weatherless teams, you're pretty weak to Sun teams. Something like Volcarona or Chlorophyll Venusaur can just run through your team extremely easily since they don't have to worry about having the favorable Weather condition. Weatherless teams tend to be weak to Sun as you can't change the weather and Sun is extremely match-up based, meaning that it wins pretty much all the time if they win the weather war. I think that you should consider swapping your Gyarados for a Dragonite. While losing a physical wall sucks, Dragonite will do a lot of your team. First of all, it's one of the best checks to Sun teams there is, as it beats most of their abusers really easily on one-on-one. Secondly, it will take advantage of Hydreigon's wallbreaking capabilities. Your team uses Hydreigon to break walls but then you don't have a dedicated sweeper who can take advantage of that. Dragonite is able to do that and will sweep pretty easily after Hydreigon did its job. I don't think your team really needs a Physical Wall anyway, and the things it walls can be dealt with by other Pokemon.

You can use a different spread on Starmie, as it doesn't need all that Speed. You can cut it down a bit as the fastest thing you'll need to outspeed is Tornadus-I, since tying with other Starmie is really pointless. There's nothing between 111 and 115 base Speed so you can just outspeed base 111s by 1 point and be fine. Try out a spread of 248 HP / 28 Def / 8 SpA / 224 Spe instead. 8 SpA guarentees you OHKO Gengar with Psyshock, 248 HP means you take less damage from Stealth Rock, and the rest in Defense to make Starmie a bit bulkier.

I don't understand why you're using such an offensive Scizor set. To me it feels pretty useless on your team, as it's not extremely offensive. Scizor doesn't like to get worn down by Life Orb, even with Roost, as then things like Latios can just smash it in a couple of hits from Draco Meteor, while you should be trapping them anyway. You should try a spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD, with an Iron Plate. This spread makes it easier for Scizor to trap things, and Iron Plate boosts Scizor's Bullet Punch while not wearing it down, which is definitely cool.

Lastly, you really need to use Baton Pass over Thunder Wave on Celebi, and stick with Stealth Rock in the second slot. Baton Pass is incredibly useful on Celebi as it allows it to escape Pursuiters, such as Tyranitar and Scizor, something that U-turn cannot do. This is especially useful against Tyranitar+Keldeo teams who can just sweep you otherwise.

Anyway, that's a cool team, here are the sets you should use:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Iron Head
~Ice Punch
~Fire Punch
~U-turn

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Outrage
~Fire Punch
~ExtremeSpeed
~Dragon Dance

Good luck!

This is a very nice OU team. It has equal amounts of resistance.

I only have one major change. I'd suggest Choice Scarf Heatran over Jirachi. Reasoning would be this: your team has no Scarfers, which is vital to almost every serious OU team to revenge kill. Also, with Heatran, you have an overall better resistance to offending Pokemon. You have better resistance to -Bug and -Ghost type pokemon, immunity to -Fire type with Heatran, and a better resiatnce to -Dark types, all of which Jirachi couldn't manage. http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1287|903|864|782|1137|1448| This website shows that your team can handle almost every type. Volcarona, for example, is easier to handle. Here is the set I recommend:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Dragon Pulse
This set makes use of Heatran's powerful Sp.Atk, along with giving it the speed to outspeed Pokemon with Base 130 or below. Overheat is for that extra power, but if you don't like the Sp.Atk drop, Fire Blast is an excellent alternative. Eart Power handles other Heatran. Flamethrower could be exchanged for another coverage move if you choose Fire Blast. HP Ice is ultimately the best choice for Slot 4, but Dragon Pulse could be used for more power, but less coverage.

Everything else looks good from my point of view; good luck with the team! :)
Thanks for the idea, I'll try Heatran

Jirachi:
You can definitely scarf Jirachi as it's one of the most effective scarfers atm.
Sorry but no, Governess suggested Heatran earlier and it has better power than Jirachi.

Then, like most weatherless teams, you're pretty weak to Sun teams. Something like Volcarona or Chlorophyll Venusaur can just run through your team extremely easily since they don't have to worry about having the favorable Weather condition. Weatherless teams tend to be weak to Sun as you can't change the weather and Sun is extremely match-up based, meaning that it wins pretty much all the time if they win the weather war. I think that you should consider swapping your Gyarados for a Dragonite.
I see what you mean but swapping Gyarados for Dragonite is too much to pass up imo. Celebi/Gyarados makes a great defensive core. Gyarados resists Fire and takes netural Grass damage. Heatran can take both moves plus Bug/Poison moves easily. I don't think sun teams could run over me at this point.

Try out a spread of 248 HP / 28 Def / 8 SpA / 224 Spe instead.
That does look like a better and more reasonable EV spread, I'll try that.

Lastly, you really need to use Baton Pass over Thunder Wave on Celebi, and stick with Stealth Rock in the second slot. Baton Pass is incredibly useful on Celebi as it allows it to escape Pursuiters, such as Tyranitar and Scizor, something that U-turn cannot do. This is especially useful against Tyranitar+Keldeo teams who can just sweep you otherwise.
Ok, I will use Baton Pass over t-wave on Celebi.

I'll update the RMT on Friday/Saturday. Keep them rates coming.

joshe

the best
I think you're very wrong about not trying out Dragonite over Gyarados. it doesn't matter that celebi + gyarados make a great defensive core if you constantly get beaten down by sun teams with ease. Dragonite still resists fire and water moves, is 4x RESISTANT to grass moves, and it is one of the best pokemon in the OU metagame right now as it can handle sun teams and rain teams pretty darn well. Dragonite also fits very well with your team as it provides another win condition with out you losing any defensive capabilities and also helps you out against sun teams. You have a spinner to keep stealth rock off the field for dragonite so it can abuse its ability multiscale which makes dragonite even bulkier than gyarados for a turn. This allows dragonite to set up for free and sweep. Overall, Dragonite fits alot better on your team than Gyarados as it provides you with a win condition and you sacrifice next to nothing by swapping it in over gyarados. I would go with Jirachi's suggestion on Dragonite set although you can try out a Lum Berry over Leftovers if you want an absolutely guaranteed set up on the standard defensive Jirachi and Ferrothorn or defensive Rotom-w.

I also agree with the suggestion of Scarf Jirachi over your current jirachi. I don't mean to be rude but I dont think Scarf Heatran is a very good fit for your team. Heatran is very powerful but also very slow and what you need is some speed on your team. Jirachi is one of the metagames premier scarved pokemon and it fits better on your team. Scarf Jirachi checks many different threats such as Dragon Dance Dragonite and the plethora of fast, squishy attackers in various weathers such as Tornadus in RAIN and Scarf Salamence in any weather. I would also go with the Jirachi set that Jirachi suggested although try out Trick over Fire Punch to screw something over with your choice scarf such as specially defensive Heatran or defensive Rotom-w. you could also try out Healing Wish as well to heal off any one of your pokemon (works well with Dragonite if you misplay and get paralyzed or become very low health). Overall Scarf jirachi is a very solid suggestion and i suggest you try it out. Heatran doesn't really fit well on your team and you already have a ton of fire resistances and you really don't want to be more weak to Tyranitar + Keldeo combos.

As far as the rest, I really want you to go back to Giga Drain on Celebi over Psychic. My reasoning for this is Rotom-w gives Scizor, Hydreigon, Jirachi, and Starmie a lot of trouble and it's very hard to beat down Rotom-w with psychic. If you really want to beat Breloom you're probably better off with Hidden Power Fire over Thunder Wave anyway. Conkeldurr isn't seen very often and most non-choice scarf Keldeo run Hidden Power Bug anyway which means Celebi can't beat Keldeo (you have Starmie to outspeed and kill with Psyshock against those versions). I also think you might just be better off with a standard choice band Scizor with some investment in special defense, idk like 200 HP / 176 Atk / 132 SpD with an Adamant nature or just use Jirachi's suggestion. Life Orb really hampers Scizor that want to be able to tank an attack, most notably a Latias Draco Meteor as the 10% damage every attack you make really forces Scizor to play with low HP most of the time. Honestly you could even try out an Iron Plate Scizor set with Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, U-turn, Roost with the EVs I suggested or the EVs Jirachi suggested. There are many different options that will work better than your current set imo. If you use the Swords Dance set though, I would suggest using Earthquake over Fire Punch on your DD Dragonite to help beat down Heatran for both Scizor, Celebi, and Jirachi.

Good Luck with your team and please try out Jirachi's and my changes. I feel they would benefit your team greatly to get it to that next level of play :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)