The Next Best Thing - Sawk [Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NeverUsedTier: 6
JoshuaMunoz: 1
FLCL: 5
Nicolaibalu: 7
Audiosurfer: 3
kakuna: 1
Shuckleking87: 3

Oh hey a new winner! Also not many votes this time around, but hopefully that can improve with this mon??

Also, a question: Would you guys rather it remained the three day posting period, or if it was shortened to two days? Just send me a VM with what you'd prefer, and whatever the majority prefers is what we will go with. :)

This week we're going with an interesting mon that has a lot of use in this metagame, and with the Scarf set being popular, a surprise factor can definitely be appreciated.

fire breathing dragon

You have three days! Or two, depending on whether people VM me saying they'd rather two or not, but that shouldn't be an issue as most people post their sets in the first two days.​

two days plz

Charizard @ Salac Berry
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Substitute
-Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-Air Slash

This set's aim is to late game sweep, and only that. If Stealth Rock is up, it's better to Substitute down to 25% to activate Blaze and activate a Salac Berry boost, giving you the much needed power in its Fire STAB and extra speed. If it isn't, Charizard can still perform well without them, and since Charizard is not very frail, it may live some neutral hits and be in Blaze range, or can possibly outspeed and Substitute down to Blaze and Salac. This set is not limited to a single move unlike the Choice Scarf set, and it can take down a lot of things who would otherwise knock Charizard out, such as Scolipede and Zebstrika. After the speed boost, Charizard is only outsped by Scarf Electabuzz and Scarf Tauros, which are both rare and can be taken cared of by teammates. Blaze is the ability as it is superior in this set, as Solar Power puts Charizard in a timer. This Charizard set is only to be brought in on slower Pokemon, where Charizard can Substitute down to acquire the boosts.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Charizard (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Charizard is notoriously difficult to switch into (Munchlax and Grumpig aside), but numerous opponents can revenge kill it, including many Choice Scarfers. Charizard could outflank them with a Choice Scarf, but the Stealth Rock weakness and inability to switch moves weakens its potential. Tailwind instead doubles its speed and allow Charizard to utilise its deadly coverage to unleash fiery death upon its opponents. All of a sudden, regardless of what the opponent switches into to tank a hit and KO back (Zebstrika into Air Slash, Scolipede into Focus Blast, Rapidash into Fire Blast), Charizard simply outpaces them on the switch thanks to Tailwind and murders them all.

Charizard is known for being difficult to defend against its ridiculous Solar Powered attacks, making it more threatening to stall than offense in general. Tailwind Charizard trades its wallbreaking potential for the ability to pick apart offensive teams, clearing them out easily if not faced against priority. The fact that Munchlax, a new counter that walls all Charizard that lacks/miss Focus Blast, has entered NU and NU's playstyle is favoring offense, gives this Charizard his time to shine, destroying Scarf Jynx, Scarf Primeape, Serperior, Zebstrika, Scolipede, Swellow, Tauros and Rapidash in one fell swoop, something a ScarfZard cannot boast. Tailwind also ensures that virtually no Scarfer (without priority) and even weather sweepers excluding Chlorophyll Jumpluff and Swift Swim Floatzel are outsped and promptly KOed.

You can afford to be a bit more reckless with this Charizard, since he is meant to break as much of the opponent's team in the 3 usable Tailwind turns as he can with little to no regard for his life. SR? Pfft, he'll only have trouble when setting up Tailwind, which you should be doing on a poke like Jynx or Exeggutor that he scares the living shit out of. If anything 2 LO attacks after SR = Blaze = that good old overpowered Fire Blast you're all so familiar with. Heck, if Zard gets KOed early your teammates may take advantage of Tailwind themselves. You can even give Modest a shot, though note Charizard does appreciate the initial speed granted by Timid.

This Charizard is especially weak to priority, but not much more than any other Charizard really.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Dragon of fire !

Charizard @ Fire Gem/Flame plate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

swords dance is on site, but dragon dance isn't ! Unfortunately, it's illegal with acrobatics, but flare blitz earthquake coverage is already pretty epic and it just leaves some room for roost. I'm not a fan of LO + recoil moves especially with a 4X SR weakness so fire gem can be used to crush whatever can take a hit in first place to then have an easier time sweeping afterwards. Flame plate is the best option if you plan finishing off multiple weakend opponents.

Charizard might not be the hardest thing to wall with alomomola just laughing in it's face, but once that's down, it's pretty hard to revenge kill. It's great speed lets it outspeed scarfed rotom-s and primeape at +1 and roost makes sucker punch and other priority moves much less effective. Teams that don't run alomomola will often just have a rock type to counter this set which can be baited in since everyone that see's a zard in team preview wants to get rocks up. Physical zard also has the particularity of being immune to burn making standard walls like weezing and misdreavus much less effective counters.

Could work very well with physicaly defensive gothorita which can take down both rocks and alomomola without them switching out and actully has some sort of defensive synergy with zard who takes bug moves and golurk very well.

Damn! I was too slow, I was gonna post DDZard :(

Charizard @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 64 SpA / 24 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost / Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

Phazing Zard? Phazing Zard. Bulky Zard is very underrated in this meta. It's good offensive typing can be equally good defensively once your opponent's Samurott is checked and dealt with. If not, you can always burn any Samurotts or Carracostas in your way, since you easily oustpeed both with the given EVs. Roar and Will-O-Wisp are pretty awesome together, allowing you to burn the predominantely physical attacking meta, allowing your sweepers to freely come in and not fear any serious damage from the likes of Sawk and Sawsbuck. It does help that rocks don't go up, of course, but keeping rocks off the field is so easy in this meta that it's mostly a given that they won't. The EVs allow Zard to tank many hits on the physical side while still hitting very hard with STAB Flamethrower. Roost is an option if you have Wish support or are fully confident that rocks will absolutely NEVER get up during the game (not to mention if you are one of the few who use a spinner), as it allows Zard to heavily dent foes such as Golem and Probopass easier.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn! I was too slow, I was gonna post DDZard :(

Charizard @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 164 Def / 24 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost / Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

Phazing Zard? Phazing Zard. Bulky Zard is very underrated in this meta. It's good offensive typing can be equally good defensively once your opponent's Samurott is checked and dealt with. If not, you can always burn any Samurotts or Carracostas in your way, since you easily oustpeed both with the given EVs. Roar and Will-O-Wisp are pretty awesome together, allowing you to burn the predominantely physical attacking meta, allowing your sweepers to freely come in and not fear any serious damage from the likes of Sawk and Sawsbuck. It does help that rocks don't go up, of course, but keeping rocks off the field is so easy in this meta that it's mostly a given that they won't. The EVs allow Zard to tank many hits on the physical side while still hitting very hard with STAB Flamethrower. Roost is an option if you have Wish support or are fully confident that rocks will absolutely NEVER get up during the game (not to mention if you are one of the few who use a spinner), as it allows Zard to heavily dent foes such as Golem and Probopass easier.
...I don't understand why you're using Attack EV's when you're not using Flare Blitz or whatever at all. I also don't understand why you would go under the luxury of replacing Charizard's incredible offensive presence for a playstyle that it's not particularly suited for.

iSweep (Charizard) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Thunderpunch

Can Charizard go physically offensive? Yes it can. The gen 4 Belly Drum sweeper set is back folks! Many of us might think Charizard's average 84 attack stat won't do anything. Charizard can take advantage of its access to Belly Drum in order to run a very unorthodox physically offensive set. This set can function as a Late-game sweeper or a stall/wall breaker for any team. Just switch into a Grass or Steel type, use Substitute then Belly Drum (Salac Berry will trigger here) then the last thing you know you're already sweeping at least half of your opponent's team. At this point, you get a chance a to kill Lickilicky with ease. Same goes for the Electric types that could have revenge killed you if you ran a special set. The evs spread given gives Charizard as much power as possible. Fire Punch is main Fire type STAB. The last slot is a choice between two coverage moves, Earthquake and Thunderpunch. Earthquake hits Rock types that resists Fire Punch as well as Steel and Electric types super effectively. Thunderpunch, on the other hand can hit Water types (since they resist fire punch) and Flying types super effectively.

I know this set is a bit "stretching", but you were really good to building excellent first. Well, my set come from two things:

1) Zard has a wide movepool, better on physical where statistics are lowest but always good.

2) Water-type pokemon weakness. I know that Zard's weakness aren't small, but usually each player vs Zard, seeks among its ranks a water pokemon to fight it.

So:

Charizard @ Passho Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- ThunderPunch
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Attack/Aerial Ace

Passho Berry is to endure with tooth and nail vs the potential first attack of Water-Pokè. ThunderPunch is for counterattack. Fire Blitz and priority Quick Attack complete the set. Could be a viable alternative STAB Aerial Ace, good for its accuracy

In my opinion dangerous to deal with when there are no SR.

Posting to say I love Punchshroom's set. Since many of zard's counters are offensive, Tailwind allows it to bypass that issue.

Also posting bx 2 days>3 (quality-wise and not time-wise ofc)

Dammit i was gonna post tailwind. Now i have to come up with a new set(or not). I prefer 3 days over 2 actually for users who might miss this now have more time to vote/nominate.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Charizard @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Roost

this set can fake a choice set by spamming fire blast and then ohkoing common water or rock type switch ins with a powerful solarbeam. this set also beats a lot of common stealth rocks setters if they switch in so it can sorta keep rocks off the field for itself.

also zeb destroyed me with this in spl

charizard get quick attack by breeding

but nevertheless it only use that i can possibly think of would be to pick off sturdy golem after an hp grass before it can sucker punch you

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ah I see it: apparently Quick Attack is only available on Charmander from Birthday Events from Gen IV. Not like Quick Attack is worth it on anything that doesn't get STAB on it, but it's your set :]

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Charizard @ Flame Plate / Flying Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz / Acrobatics
- Earthquake

This is essentially a Double Dance Charizard set. Against more defensive teams you can use Swords Dance to bust through their defensive pokemon since you won't need a speed boost, and against more offensive teams you can use Tailwind to double your Speed so you can't get outsped and have your sweep cut short. Tailwind also makes this a team player since if Charizard does get picked off by priority or something after being weakened, a teammate can come in with a speed boost and resume the sweep. The item choice on this set depends on your choice of STAB move. Once the few mons that can take Charizard's assaults and fight back are gone, then this can sweep the opponent's team with little trouble.

Ah I see it: apparently Quick Attack is only available on Charmander from Birthday Events from Gen IV. Not like Quick Attack is worth it on anything that doesn't get STAB on it, but it's your set :]
"I know this set is a bit "stretching", but you were really good to building excellent first."....i said. I can't copy yours set, of course! :]

Damn. I don't think it can get more effective than Punchroom's set. Tailwind is an amazing move that lets Zard beat his usual counters, which is the whole point of this thread.

Good show, Punchroom. Good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)