Azelf (Analysis)

Azelf

QC: [PK Gaming] [Snunch] [JabbatheGriffin]
GP: [Ray Jay] [Komodo]

[Overview]

<p>Azelf has been an offensive powerhouse since the fourth generation, sporting huge 125 base Attack and Special Attack stats, and a nice 115 base Speed to complement them. It has an enormous offensive movepool, in addition to a decent support movepool. Azelf has access to fantastic coverage moves in Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, and Ice Punch, to name a few. Its supporting movepool includes U-turn, Stealth Rock, Reflect, Light Screen, Taunt, and even Trick. Unfortunately, its average defenses, HP, and weakness to Pursuit hinders its sweeping potential. Despite these flaws, Azelf is very versatile, which makes it so dangerous, and should not be underestimated at any cost.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Grass Knot / Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Azelf is one of the select few with access to Nasty Plot, able to hit 696 Special Attack after one boost, even without factoring in the Life Orb boost. Psyshock is listed instead of Psychic, as after a Nasty Plot boost, Azelf can easily 2HKO Eviolite Chansey with Psyshock. Fire Blast hits Steel-types that otherwise wall Azelf, but Flamethrower is an option if you prefer more PP and higher accuracy at the expense of power. Grass Knot destroys the typical bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic, while also OHKOing lesser-seen threats such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. However, Thunderbolt is a great alternative to Grass Knot due to its great neutral coverage, landing hits on Houndoom and Victini who would otherwise wall this set; Gastrodon and Water Absorb Quagsire are decimated by a +2 Psyshock anyway.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Psychic is an option over Psyshock if Chansey isn't a problem, as it still does severe damage after a Nasty Plot boost. Shadow Ball is an option to destroy other Psychic-types such as Deoxys-D, but leaves you walled by most Dark-types, especially Houndoom. Life Orb is the item of choice and provides a significant power increase to all of Azelf's attacks. Hidden Power Fighting is an option to take out Dark-types such as Houndoom, but is an inferior option due to the lowered Speed IV, causing Azelf to lose to Raikou. Teammates who can switch in on Azelf's weaknesses such as Heracross and Escavalier are recommended to aid Azelf's sweep. Other effective teammates include Pokemon such as Houndoom, which can switch in on every super effective attack aimed at Azelf. As with most sweepers, entry hazards help Azelf get easier KOs, especially if Nasty Plot hasn't been set up. Entry hazards also slightly weaken powerful, bulky sweepers such as Rhyperior and Victini so Azelf can cleanly OHKO them. Powerful Fighting-types or Pokemon with Fighting-type moves to take out the Dark-type Pursuit users are greatly appreciated so that Azelf can sweep unhindered. Since Choice Scarf users can easily destroy Azelf, a Pokemon with priority such as Azumarill or a powerful Pursuit user such as Weavile is necessary to eliminate them.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Choice
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: U-turn / Trick
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Choiced Azelf is a force to be reckoned with as it can immediately put pressure on the opponent with its powerful attacks or U-turn. Zen Headbutt provides obligatory STAB, while Fire Punch and Ice Punch provide excellent coverage, hitting Steel-types and Dragon-types respectively. U-turn is an excellent choice to scout for dangerous switch-ins and also deals reasonable damage, possibly OHKOing offensive variants of Celebi. If U-turn is not needed, Trick is an excellent option to cripple switch-ins such as Eviolite Chansey and Hippopotas. A Jolly nature is preferred with Choice Band to tie with other Base 115s such as Ambipom, while an Adamant nature is preferred with Choice Scarf to provide more power and still outspeed Pokemon in the base 100 range.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Azelf also has access to Thunderpunch to form the infamous BoltBeam combination with Ice Punch, but must sacrifice the coverage that Fire Punch provides on Steel-types or lose the utility of U-turn and Trick. Explosion is also an option in the final slot to go out with a bang, but Azelf has better things to do than sacrificing itself, especially with the nerf that Explosion received this generation. Other than the aforementioned, Azelf doesn't have too many other viable options on the physical side. Being locked into a Psychic-type move spells danger for Azelf and attracts Pursuit users, so strong Fighting-types are recommended to rid Azelf of this omnipresent threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: U-turn / Stealth Rock
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>With Psyshock targeting the opponent's Defense using the attacker's Special Attack stat, even special walls such as Chansey cannot wall Azelf effectively. Psyshock provides STAB and hits the weaker Defense of special walls such as Chansey. Fire Blast hits Steel-types and Grass-types for massive damage and Grass Knot destroys bulky Water-types such as Milotic and Suicune. U-turn is used for scouting, while Stealth Rock supports the rest of the team.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Life Orb provides a nice power boost to Azelf's attacks. Explosion can be used in the last moveslot with a Naive nature, but this is not recommended as without Attack investment and because of the nerf, it won't be doing too much damage. Thunderbolt is an option over Grass Knot to hit Victini and Houndoom, but then Azelf loses coverage on Ground- and Rock-types, and Houndoom can OHKO Azelf with a STAB priority Sucker Punch or Pursuit if Azelf switches out. Psychic hits several Fighting-types such as Hitmontop harder, but losing the advantage against Chansey and other special walls usually isn't worth it. Fire Blast is a stronger albeit less accurate option over Flamethrower. Hidden Power Ice can be used to destroy Dragon-types, but most are already hit hard enough by Azelf's STAB moves. When using Azelf, it is important to have teammates that can take out the opponent's Pursuit users as Dark-types such as Weavile can easily switch in on a Psychic-type move and threaten Azelf.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Taunt
move 4: U-turn / Stealth Rock / Explosion
item: Leftovers / Light Clay
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>With its blistering Speed, Azelf can easily set up Light Screen and Reflect and cushion the following blows. Taunt and U-turn provide the most utility to get set up sweepers in safely, but Stealth Rock is an option as well to provide some easier KOs for the rest of the team. The reason to use Azelf over Uxie for dual screens is its high Speed, which usually guarantees it to be able to put up one screen. Explosion is an option to leave a dent in the opposition and give your teammate a safe switch in, but then maximum investment in Attack must be utilized, especially with the fifth generation nerf.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Maximum investment in HP and Speed with a Jolly Nature ensures that Azelf will reliably get both screens up unless Taunted, and makes Azelf reasonably bulky. Leftovers provide some durability to Azelf, as Focus Sash is pointless since most attacks won't OHKO after screens are set up. Light Clay is an option over Leftovers to extend the duration of the screens, but Azelf loses out on the instant recovery from Leftovers. With Light Screen and Reflect, Azelf can support set-up sweepers such as Shell Smash users and assist a Baton Pass chain.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Explosion is an option on any physical set to do major damage, but sacrifices Azelf unnecessarily. Azelf can also set up a quick Rain Dance or Sunny Day to support its team, but usually has better move options and there are better contenders to set up weather. A set with Substitute and three attacks could work, but will be walled in some manner depending on its moveset. Azelf is very versatile and can run a variety of different sets, but other than the aforementioned, nothing else is quite as effective.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf has quite a few checks in the form of Dark-types and faster opponents, but very few true counters due to its versatility. This is especially true of the Nasty Plot set, which is equivalent to the Psycho-Killer of BW UU. Anything faster than Azelf that is even remotely powerful such as Crobat and Aerodactyl can revenge kill easily. Most Choice Scarf users such as Flygon can OHKO Azelf with little effort. Most Dark-types can easily switch in and threaten with super effective STAB moves such as Houndoom's Sucker Punch or Weavile's Night Slash. Choice Specs Jolteon can outspeed and OHKO with a super effective Shadow Ball. Escavalier walls Azelf without Fire-type moves and can easily OHKO with Megahorn or Pursuit if Azelf switches out. Strong priority users such as Choice Band Azumarill can finish off even slightly-weakened Azelf. Bulky Pokemon that can take a hit such as Deoxys-D or Celebi and either dish one back or slap Azelf with a crippling status such as Toxic or paralysis are decent checks, but must beware of the Nasty Plot set.</p>

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heres the OU analysis of Azelf I did with Zdrup, you can use it for reference, just dont copy the text like masterful

Azelf

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Dual Screens should probably get a set since Azelf is mega fast and gets Taunt to go with it, as well as U-turn. Set worthy imo.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why is psychic listed first when the comments make it sound like psychock is the preffered option.

Azelf@Life Orb (252 EVs, Neutral Nature, +2) Psycho Shock vs Chansey@Evolution Stone (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 62.2 ~ 73.2% (438 ~ 516 HP)

+2 psychock will only ohko with rocks and 3 layers of spikes, so as long as it has passive damage, azelf can give 0 shits about chansey.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO Hidden Power Ice should be removed from the NP set. Flygon and Altaria take enough damage from Azelf's STAB Psychic attacks. Instead of that, I would slash in Thunderbolt. You retain bulky water coverage while also being able to kill Houndoom, who otherwise walls the entire set. Grass Knot should still be the primary option IMO to kill Rhyperior who seems to be very common right now.

Also, I don't feel Psychic is really worth a slash on the NP set. An unSTABed Fire Blast only has 15 less base power (which I don't think pushes any notable KOes) and Psyshock is too important for Chansey busting purposes.

Rain Dance is probably worth a mention on the lead set. Although Crobat is faster and has Inner Focus to stop Fake Out, Azelf can set up Stealth Rock, which can be hard to fit onto a rain team.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Tiny nitpick- on the Lead set, you mentioned that Rain Dance is a viable option to support Swift Sweepers. You can also mention Sunny Day there to support Chlorophyll mons, with Drought being banned and whatnot.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know it didn't work in OU, but a Specs set would be worth a set, with great speed, special attack, coverage, and Trick to cockblock Chansey.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NP needs to be the primary set, IMO. That set is just WAY too powerful to put in 3rd. You are literally looking at the Psycho Killer Mewtwo of UU. You wouldn't put that set in 3rd place either o_0. If you carry no revenge killers, prepare to watch your team get shot down in flames.

Anyway, I think Thunderbolt should also be the preferred move for the NP set since it gives you the absolute best coverage. With Grass Knot, Houndoom and Victini resists your entire set, while Thunderbolt at least hits them hard for neutral. Thunderbolt still OHKOs pretty much all opposing bulky Waters with the exception of Lanturn, who would just get killed by Psychock anyway. Quagsire won't like eating boosted Psyshocks either.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should mention Shadow Ball in AC. It lets you take down opposing Psychic types at +2 instead of 2HKOing them and taking a potentially fatal hit / status. (EX: Mew might Thunder Wave, Deoxys gets a toxic off etc)

The lead set shouldn't be #2, it should be the last set listed. I'm not a fan of dedicated leads or Focus Sash in gen V. Replace it with leftovers which has more midgame utility.

Your counters section is very poor.
Eviolite Chansey is the best counter to non-physical Azelf but must watch out for Taunt, Trick, or a Nasty Plot-boosted Psyshock.
Considering that Nasty Plot is the #1 and boosted Psychock cleanly 2HKOes, physical choice is the 2nd set and Trick ruins it, its hardly the best counter. Its a decent check at best.

Again, same deal with Milotic and Suicune. They hardly counter Azelf because Nasty Plot (the primary set) obliterates them and they can semi counter other sets. These are checks not counters.

Ambipom is a so-so Azelf check. Fake Out hurts but you need to risk the speed in order to actually "beat" him. I'd replace his mention a Pokemon like Houndoom, who checks Azelf with Sucker Punch.

I'll withhold my check until all of the changes are made.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Need to mention that Azelf isn't hard to revenge-kill. Stuff like Scarf Flygon, Scarf Staraptor, pretty much Choice Scarf - *insert decently powerful attacker* can revenge kill Azelf without much problems. Stuff like Weavile can pretty much revenge Azelf without any trouble whatsoever (Need to mention that Weavile can't really switch in on anything attacking move other than Psyshock). So can Crobat, Sceptile, Swellow and Aerodactyl (To a certain degree). This should go into the Checks/Counters section.

Also, because of this, it is also a good idea to mention Wobbuffet as a teammate, as he can pretty much kill every Scarfer to exist, removing possible revenge killers from the game. On the topic of team options, while you don't need a dedicated "Team Options" section any more, they are still supposed to be mentioned in AC of the individual sets (obviously different sets prefer slightly different teammates). Good teammates to Azelf include:

- Wobbuffet
- Dugtrio
- Stuff that can switch in Dark-types (Heracross, Excavalier)
- Stuff that can switch in on Houndoom (Suicune, Milotic, Gastrodon, Quagsire, to an extent)
- Stuff to switch in on Azelf's other weaknesses (Houndoom, Zapdos, etc)
- Entry hazard support, great for sweepers
- Possible "softening up" Pokemon like CB Rhyperior, CB Victini, etc

Ok, I elaborated quite a bit on those sections, hopefully its good to go now.

On second thought, the OO is a bit lacking, but then Azelf has five sets listed so most of the options have already been said.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sold on that Rocker set at all.

Suicide leads kind of suck ass this gen and with the drop in Boom power, Azelf loses even more allure as a suicide rocker, especially in a tier with so many viable rockers. I would combine the rocker + dual screen sets into a sort of all purpose "support set." Seems to make more sense imo

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I gave it some more thought and I agree with Jabba and I think you should get rid of the support set completely entirely. Also this is a tad nitpicky but I wouldn't slash SR Alongside Taunt on the Dual Screens set because is extremely useful.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I didn't get a chance to see the support set, but I definitely think that an offensive Azelf lead is viable. This is the set I used:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Timid/Modest
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def

-Psychic/Psyshock
-Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Stealth Rock

Makes for a great lead because it has incredible offensive pressure due to coverage and high Spe/SpA, putting your opponent on the defensive immediately. It's also useful outside the lead position, making for an efficient lategame cleaner.

Also, regarding the dual screen lead set, the EVs should probably be optimized to take scarf brave bird from Staraptor (a little less HP and a little more Def should do it). I don't know how much that will matter given that Staraptor is 99% likely to get banned, but while it's still in the tier it's almost a requirement to be able to survive the thing's attack and set up Reflect for the team.

breh

強いだね
To my surprise, the current spread already lives Jolly Scarfed Brave Bird with 3 HP minimum.

you need a spread of 80/172 to live adamant brave bird. It's not worth it IMO.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To my surprise, the current spread already lives Jolly Scarfed Brave Bird with 3 HP minimum.

you need a spread of 80/172 to live adamant brave bird. It's not worth it IMO.
Hmm. If I were running Azelf I would honestly probably go with the 80/172 spread just because of how ubiquitous Scarfraptor is, and the physically-oriented metagame in general. More QC input would be welcome, although I'm sure the alternative spread should at least get an OC mention.

Yeah I'd just remove the special choice set and replace it with the one FlareBlitz posted, with U-Turn slashed in front of Stealth Rock and renamed "Life Orb". Specs Azelf really doesnt have much going for it that can't be done better with either Nasty Plot or Life Orb. Additionally, on Nasty Plot, move Thunderbolt to AC. Grass Knot is superior mostly for the fact that it hits Rhyperior who can take Psyshock and Fire Blast pretty well. Thunderbolt hits Houndoom for neutral damage, but it threatens with Sucker Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)