Mew (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

MEW

Psychic

QC Approved: 0 / 3 [?] [?] [?]

GP Approved: 0 / 2 [?] [?]

Most of the credit for this analysis' sets goes to PK Gaming and the Mew discussion thread in Dragonspiral Tower.

-------------------------------------------

[Overview]

• Although the picture of versatility, Mew is surprisingly at its lowest usage ever
  • Besides being an interesting gimmick, Mew's ability to learn every TM and HM allows for unprecedented unpredictability
  • Learns several boosting moves via TM and level-up, meaning it can run just about the best possible Baton Pass set in the metagame

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Will-o-Wisp / Thunder Wave
move 3: Softboiled
move 4: Seismic Toss / Psyshock
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 240 HP / 184 Def / 84 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Taunt opposing stallers, then use status on switch-in
  • Key to using set effectively is spreading status around as much as possible
  • Softboiled allows stable recovery along with Leftovers
  • Seismic Toss and Psyshock effectively guard against Chansey, as neither attack runs into her massive Special Defense

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Calm nature offsets large Defense investment to ensure that Mew takes physical and special hits equally well
  • Exactly 240 EVs in HP allows for maximum Leftovers recovery, as Mew hits the magic Leftovers number of 401 HP

[SET]
    name: Baton Pass
    move 1: Baton Pass
    move 2: Rock Polish / Barrier / Amnesia
    move 3: Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
    move 4: Taunt
    item: Lum Berry
    nature: Bold
    evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Mew is arguably the best Baton Passer in the metagame, as it can pass +2 boosts in Speed and either Attack or Special Attack
    • Taunt and Lum Berry prevent status inducers such as Eviolite Chansey from stopping a Baton Pass
    • Bold nature and Defense EVs guard against Pursuit and U-turn users
    • Stat-boosting moves used really depend on whether you want to pass bulk, speed, or power

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Obviously needs a sweeper/tank to pass to
    • Can help sweepers rip through teams with two-stage boosts in Attack / Special attack and Speed
    • This set can potentially run dual Screens, but it means sacrificing Taunt and one of the stat boosts, which is not a good idea unless the rest of your team can boost its stats on its own

[SET]
    name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
    move 1: Nasty Plot
    move 2: Psyshock
    move 3: Aura Sphere
    move 4: Shadow Ball / Fire Blast
    item: Life Orb
    nature: Timid
    evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Mew has potential to be an amazing special sweeper with its impressive 100 base Special Attack
    • Psyshock is preferred, as it easily gets around Eviolite Chansey, but the choice is up to preference
    • Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball achieve the coveted Fighting / Ghost perfect coverage, but Fire Blast can surprise Spiritomb

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Max EVs and Timid Nature take Mew to a blistering 328 Speed
    • Checked by Sucker Punch users, most notably Bisharp and Houndoom

[SET]
    name: Stallbreaker
    move 2: Softboiled / Roost
    move 3: Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
    move 4: Super Fang / Psyshock
    evs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Taunt stops most stall teams cold
    • WoW to weaken U-turn/Pursuit users, or Toxic for Pokemon like Chansey who have high HP and don't care about physical attacks
    • Psyshock is rather situational, only really beating Super Fang's HP halving when it comes to Chansey

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Mew can pull this off because of its 100 / 100 / 100 defenses, which are among the best in UU
    • Tears through most stall teams by Taunting, using status, and cipping away at the opponent's health with Super Fang
    • Set can also be used with a Bold nature and an EV spread of 112 HP / 144 Def / 252 SpD for a bulkier stallbreaker, although Mew fails to get the drop on faster opponents it normally outspeeds with Speed investment + Timid boost

[SET]
      name: Swords Dance
      move 1: Swords Dance
      move 2: Zen Headbutt
      move 3: Drain Punch
      move 4: Sucker Punch / Taunt
      item: Life Orb / Leftovers
      nature: Jolly
      evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
      • Set tends to take people by surprise
      • Life Orb means STAB Zen Headbutt hits harder, while Leftovers allows greater HP recovery in conjunction with Drain Punch
      • Sucker Punch for coverage against faster Pokemon that try to wipe Mew out quickly, such as Flygon with Stone Edge or Earthquake
      • Jolly nature affords same Speed boost as Timid without Attack reduction

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
      [LIST
    • Stopped cold by Slowbro and Suicune with Scald
    • Sucker Punch is almost required for things that outspeed Mew, such as Flygon and Arcanine
    • +2 Drain Punch can OHKO Bisharp, provided Bisharp doesn't try to Sucker Punch

[SET]
    name: Calm Mind Rooster
    move 1: Calm Mind
    move 2: Roost
    move 3: Thunder Wave
    move 4: Aura Sphere / Psyshock
    nature: Bold / Calm
    evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
    • Max investment in defenses brings Mew to 342 / 328 / 299 defenses with Bold nature (342 / 299 / 328 with Calm)
    • Thunder Wave to slow down enemies and ensure recovery
    • Attack move prevents being completely walled by Taunt, although Ghost- or Dark-types, depending on chosen attack, can set up easily on this set

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Spreading paralysis helps slower teammates sweep, meaning Mew is great on slower, more defensive teams
    • Depending on the Taunting Pokemon and the attack move Mew is using, Taunt can either greatly hinder this set or not affect it at all
    • Attacks don't do much with no investment, but they don't have to; the whole point of the set is to chip away at the opponent until it is solidly in KO range for a teammate

[Other Options]
    • Mew has literally the widest movepool of any Pokemon, so there are a decent number of options
    • A Calm Mind set can allow sweeping while boosting special bulk; great for slowly building bulk while increasing special sweeping capabilities
    • Mew can set up Trick Room for its teammates fairly well, but it itself is too fast to make proper use of it
    • A Dual Screen set can be used to weaken oncoming blows for the rest of the team

[Checks and Counters]
    • Taunters stop BP Mew from Baton Passing and set up while Mew switches out
    • Sucker Punch users such as Houndoom stop sweeping Mew cold
    • Spiritomb gives Mew fits with its immunities to Mew's two best offensive moves (Psyshock and Aura Sphere)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
um... stall breaker?

252hp/ 224 def/ 32 spe (maybe new spread for uu not sure)
bold
@leftovers
-taunt
-wow
-psychic
-roost

completley destroys stall

oh also a specs set works for me.
@specs or scarf
252spa 252 spe timid
volt switch
psyshock
aura sphere
trick

you could test this out, lets mew be a scouter while being able to break a lot of stuff with its good spa and bulk. trick is to screw chansey over and such

breh

強いだね
252hp/ 224 def/ 32 spe (maybe new spread for uu not sure)
bold
@leftovers
-taunt
-wow
-psychic
-roost
Yeah this set is pretty cool; I used the same thing with Aura Sphere over Taunt a while back and it still did really well. Roost is a fantastic utility move for Mew, as is Will-o-wisp.

mew can also run a lead set with fake out/ uturn/ stealth rock/ taunt. I ran lum/ jolly/ 252 hp/ 252 speed/ 4 att, but roost can easily be subbed in for any of those moves.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Its main flaw is its frailty, as well as its lack of any one strength
uhh... what? 100/100/100 defenses aren't really frail, especially considering that it has reliable recovery.

Also, a "stallbreaker" set definitely needs to be included in my opinion.

[SET]
move 2: Softboiled
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Super Fang / Psyshock
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Although I wouldn't really call it a "stallbreaker" to be honest. It also works really well on defensive teams. You can run a bulkier spread if you want but I like the speed to burn stuff fast.

There's also a Sword Dance set that's extremely potent

[SET]
move 4: Sucker Punch / Taunt

It just tears through teams, and its Sucker Punch is quite powerful. Doesn't really need much explanation go try it out for yourself. Its pretty much hard countered by Slowbro but most physical attackers are.

In addition, the standard abbreviation for Special Attack for analyses is "SpA," not what you have. Mention screen support in the Baton Pass set too.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Are you sure your up for this?

Ok i'm going to ignore the former because thats just plain wrong. The second doesn't fly in UU. Sure in OU maybe, but in UU Mew is pretty much good at anything. You need more sets. Sword Dance, Stall Breaker and possibly even more. The sets themselves just copy and pastes from the OU analysis without any alterations. For example, there is next to no reason to run Psychic on NP Mew, Chansey is everywhere.

Why the fuck isn't the Support/Stallbreaker set in the analysis? It's one of Mew's most effective sets, tearing stall into tiny bits.

There is just so much wrong with this line it's not even funny. 100/100/100 is great bulk for UU, and it has plenty enough power for UU to sweep with ease.

A Calm Mind set can allow sweeping while boosting special bulk, but for sweeping purposes is outclassed by Nasty Plot

Calm Mind is not outclassed by Nasty Plot for sweeping -_-. Calm Mind is for slowly boosting up while taking hits. Nasty Plot is for blowing past crap as fast as possible.

Nasty Plot is also worng. Psychic is pretty much crap in UU with fucking Chansey wobbling around the tier. I also don't really see the point of Shadow ball when a +2 Fire Blast deals plenty enough damage to Ghost-types. Modest being slashed is completely retarded. Mew has a very important base Speed, tying with many dangerous threats. Is it really worth it to throw that away for a small boost in power?

I really, really doubt that you've used Mew in UU, considering how many errors there are in this analysis.

breh

強いだね
just for convenience's sake, I'd say that Roost should always be used over Softboiled. It is far, far easier to find a 4th generation mew, especially one with perfect IVs, than it is to find a 3rd generation mew with the same. This does not matter on a simulator but it sure as hell matters on wifi.

You need to slash Barrier and Amnesia on the BP set; Mew is perfectly capable of passing defensive boosts as well as offensive ones, and can accumulate many boosts, then quickly BP off the boosts. Plus there aren't that many pokemon in UU that can pass defensive boosts.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
four sets need to be added:

-252/252 cm bold roost mew
-slow stallbreaker mew (with fast spread alternative)
-swords dance set
-support set

Using Mew for Baton Passing really is a great idea. I find that high speed Pokemon. Seem to do better when setting up. So, I would lean toward a +speed nature and personality. I would also be using 256 Speed Effort Values with this Pokemon. The rest would be split between Defense and Special Defense till Defense and Special Defense are event. Since this Mew is primarily made for setting up and not killing. As few Iv's as you can get in Attack and Special Attack. Calm Mind could be your first move to set-up defenses. After this, you could gauge how much damage your opponent is inflicting. Deciding if you can pull off another buff or if you need to switch. Recommended Move-set for this Pokemon.

Timid Nature
Likes to Run Characteristics
256 Speed Effort Values
? Defense/Special Defense Effort Values
Moves Baton Pass, Calm Mind, Agility, Sword Dance

This Move Set-up makes who you can Baton Pass to. As versatile as Mew himself. The extra defense from a Calm Mind or two. Will usually allow Mew to take another hit or two. As well as anyone that he Baton Passes into.

Majorly beefed up the analysis, and fixed several errors. Sorry again for the skimpy original analysis, I just wanted to get it posted before I went to bed and forgot a lot of key points.

Support Set changed to this said:
[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Psyshock / Psychic
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Roost
move 4: Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave / U-turn
nature: Calm
evs: 240 HP / 164 Def / 84 SpD / 20 Spe

Note this is essentially the same set as the Stall Breaker without Stealth Rock....and Stealth Rock is the only reason to use this Mew. Siesmic Toss sucks. Add Thunder Wave as a status option.

20 Speed is required on all sets just for Abomasnow....such an easy benchmark.

And for gods sake stop slashing Roost and Softboiled.

BP set changed to this said:
[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Rock Polish / Barrier / Amnesia
move 3: Substitute / Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
move 4: Taunt
evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Well Lum Berry is useless. This set is a big clusterfuck no matter what you do, so basically the comments need to acknowledge that you can use any set of moves but Taunt and BP are not optional. Substitute should be added because an actual BP team would use Substitute > another commonly used set up move (where as Barrier / Amnesia are not)...but they can still be used. Calm Mind can even be used.

Yea that set is a nightmare for our C&C format.
[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Aura Sphere
move 4: Shadow Ball / Taunt
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Why are you using Psyshock over Psychic? It's more powerful and the Pokemon with the insane SpD you're hitting as hard with Aura Sphere anyway or need Taunt to beat. Flamethrower is way better than Fire Blast since the only reason to use it in the first place is for Escavalier which you obviously don't need the extra power from Fire Blast for. I'd still use Taunt over it, it's a good option to halt other CMers or an annoying Restalk Lax and most of all Chansey.

Stallbreaker changed to this said:
[SET]
move 3: Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
move 4: Super Fang / Psychic
evs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
OK well i fixed that SB/Roost slash. Again why Psyshock? 10 BP for what exactly? If I'm wrong about this feel free to correct me because it's late and I can't think of a reason why Psyshock is better.

SD set changed to this said:
[SET]
move 4: Sucker Punch / Roost / Taunt
nature: Adamant / Jolly
[SET COMMENTS]
Almost perfect but I'd slash Recover before Taunt and Adamant before Jolly (Adamant -> Sucker Punch, anything else -> Jolly).

Calm Mind Rooster changed to this said:
[SET]
name: Bulky Calm Mind
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Aura Sphere / Substitute / Taunt
evs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set was the farthest from the actual set I've seen used. Note the name change as well.

So these aren't as far off as I originally thought but there are a fair amount of changes to start. The other QCers can come in and work from here I think now that I've sorted through the sets.

As for set order. I think I'd go Nasty Plot -> Support -> Baton Pass -> Calm Mind -> Swords Dance -> Stall breaker

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wait a minute, what is this?

[SET]
name: Calm Mind Rooster
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Aura Sphere / Psyshock
nature: Bold / Calm
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
I can understand if you had CM/Roost/Two attacks, but Mew is not suited for a mono-attacker set, especially when the primary option for your attack is a non-STABed attack. Change it to Heysup's suggestion, yeah.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Woah, woah, wait.

The 'Bulky Rooster' is WAY different than Heysup intended it to be. Mew is definitely not supposed to function the way you're implying it; since Mew only has one "bad" STAB to work with, it kind of needs Aura Sphere in conjunction with the Psychic-type move. Otherwise, as Heysup suggested, it can run a self-support move to cover itself up when immunities to the Psychic-type move are removed.

Thunder Wave is totally unnecessary as well. At this point, you should have paralysis support, but if you're actually going this route, the best it can be is in the AC. note the 20 speed EVs and the name change as well.

As for the Baton Pass set, moves other than the offensive options should probably go in the AC of the set as well. At this point, Mew should have some dual screen support as well, and defensive boosting is probably left off to something else.

breh

強いだね
ag: I'm not sure what you mean with the last comment, but if you're implying that barrier mew is bad, you're mistaken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)