The Shark, The Gazelle, The Dragon, and Whatever Mew is- (A Weatherless OU Team0

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hey Smogon, this is my third RMT I have written. This time I wanted to focus my team around underrated sweepers and Pokemon in the 5th gen OU Metagame. I could keep rambling on about this or I could do the preferred option and get into the teambuilding :)

I really don't understand why Sharpedo is RU to be honest. It has a tremendously high attack stat coupled with constant speed through speed boost. Sharpedo can easily check lots of threats in OU such as Celebi, Tyranitar, Landorus, Terrakion, Dragonite, Salamence, Lati@s, and the list goes on. While Sharpedo was an amazing sweeper it its own, it was extremely frail and prone to dying from every priorit move, so I needed something with good synergy to mend its weak points

Ahhh... Heatran. I wonder if people even run sets that aren't non Specially Defensive these days. Anyways, the standard specially defensive heatran was a good teammate for Sharpedo as it can take Grass and bug type attacks with ease aimed at Sharpedo. Heatran could also set up Stealth Rocks to safely help my team take on Dragonite so its multiscale would be broken, and also had a solid part in countering Scizor.

Now there was a problem with this Sharpedo / Heatran Duo. Fighting Types. I needed something to take on Huge blows from Fighting types such as Terrakion and Infernape. I settled on an Offensive Mew. I bet your thinking, what? Offensive Mew? Go back to WoW and Taunt. A little while ago I read Snunch's ST8 team that used an offensive Mew, and he really made it shine as Mew has decent attacking stats and the best movepool in the game barring Smeargle. This set could easily take on Ferrothorn, and Fighting types thanks to Mew's solid bulk.

I had a good team so far, but I wanted another sweeper, one with Speed and Power. Salamence just screamed power, and is a great check to DD 'Nite after Sharpedo dies. I am using a Scarf Salamence Version at this time with Moxie to just destroy.

Four sweepers sounded like a good idea to me, along with 2 defensive Pokemon. I picked Virizion, who even though is OU, doesn't get a lot of love and isn't exactly a powerhouse, but if I can get it in safely, it can set up and dominate the opponent's team with its good bulk and movepool

Jellicent will always be one of my favorite Pokemon. I mean just look at it! It reminds of King Bob-omb! Anyways, I realized through teambuilding that Jellicent and Heatran have remarkable synergy and the ability to troll the opponent to death. Jellicent doesn't exactly have a certain job on this team, but it fits so nicely, being able to burn Terrakion and other physical beasts and recover off the damage.

So yeah, that's the teambuilding. Now let's get down to business and see the team in-depth.

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Sharpedo was put on this team just to kill everything lol. With an Adamant Nature and Max Atk, it hits 372 Attack, then factored in with the Life Orb, he hits 484 Attack which is phenomenal. Waterfall and Crunch are for dual STAB, and Ice fang is for Dragons. I conteplated using Earthquake, but it didn't really hit anything in OU that the the other moves didn't. With Ice Fang, I had a safe way to stay one step ahead of those pesky dragons.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 20 Spd
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Pretty standard Heatran set. Lava plume for an attacking option so I'm not taunt bait and so that I can burn something. Protect for scouting purposes so I can switch into something else. Stealth Rock is there because Stealth Rock is an important part of every game and helps change 2HKOs into OHKOs for Sharpedo. Roar is to phaze out Set up sweepers and rack up Rocks damage

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower

I always wondered with this set, how is Celebi so much better than this? No one ever sees this set coming just because it is thought that Celebi does it better. Mew has the bulk to set up once or twice and its Psychic is incredibly powerful after a boost. Psychic, Aura Sphere, and Flamethrower have great coverage and hit everything in OU neutral or SuperEffective. Flamethrower is mainly for Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor. Psychic for STAB, Aura Sphere is just kind of there, but still works out well.

Salamence(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpD)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

ScarfMence is a beast. It's that simple. This is literraly the most threatening Scarf set in OU for a good reason. Its Outrage is incredibly Powerful and netting a +1 in Attack after every Kill is just a godsend for Salamence. Outrage is just there for immediate power and to dent everything like a truck. Dragon Claw is if the remaining pokemon aren't at full, so I don't risk being locked into it, and / or getting confused. Fire Blast because I hate Ferrothorn, Forry, and Skarm. and Earthquake for Heatran.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 104 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spd
Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
- Work Up
- Giga Drain
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Virizion is a pretty cool sweeper. Work up in my opinion is better than Swords Dance or Calm Mind because it lets it hit on both sides of the spectrum and retain recovery through Giga Drain. Work up is obvious to boost Atk and SpA. Giga Drain is for STAB and to recover lost HP from Life Orb. Close Combat is the Physical STAB of choice for Specially Bulky Pokemons and for Scizor and Ferrothorn. Mainly it's there because I don't feel like Missing Focus Blast 6 times in a row. Hidden Power Ice is for Dragons and Gliscor.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Jellicent completes my defensive core. Scald is to fish for burns and have a solid STAB move. Shadow Ball is unorthodox but hits Starmie which is a small threat to this team. Will-O-Wisp is to secure a burn, while Recover is obvious to get back my HP.

So that's the team in a nutshell. Please leave a Comment, a Rate, or a Suggestion and thanks for viewing this :D

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Good synergy in this team etc., but seriously dude, c'mon. You've got 4 Spikes/Toxic Spikes-weak Pokemon, Salamence who's weak to Rocks...where's your spinner?

will rate moar later cuz lazy

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Good synergy in this team etc., but seriously dude, c'mon. You've got 4 Spikes/Toxic Spikes-weak Pokemon, Salamence who's weak to Rocks...where's your spinner?

will rate moar later cuz lazy
Yeah I know, I am currently Trying out Forretress over one of my sweepers and I'm trying to decide which one to let go of

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seconding what Lavos Spawn said; you need a spinner. Forretress could work well because you have quite a lot of fire resists, but you should consider Donphan (more Defense, Roar, Ice Shard for Dragons and much stronger attacks) and Starmie (high Speed, great offensive presence, and can use Recover.)

Your team could use some help against Scarf Landorus. It outspeeds and 2HKOs or OHKOs everything on your team with the appropriate move (apart from Jellicent) and half your team is weak to U-turn which is not good because that's the move Landorus will be spamming early game. Yes, Jellicent can burn it, but you don't want to have to rely on that one Pokemon to counter such a big threat.

Donphan, as I mentioned, would help immensely against it.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard

I suggest you replace Heatran with this. SpD Heatran works better on teams with several entry hazards, due to Roar. This set, however, gives you a spinner to remedy your weakness to hazards, keeps Stealth Rock, hits very hard with Earthquake (STAB + Adamant + 252 Atk EVs is going to hurt) and can revenge Dragons with Ice Shard as well as doing 62.7 - 74% to the standard Scarf Landorus set and hurting Gliscor.

Cool team but I've got no idea how you beat some quite common combinations. Ferrothorn + Latios for instance is basically gg, you really have nothing on them. The Sharpedo + ScarfMence combination I've used in quite a few teams and it definitely works beautifully cleaning up but in my experience it needs a suitable anti-steel wallbreaker (or else Magnezone). Tbh though I don't really see how one can fit into this team.

Anyway, the main change I want to suggest is a bulky Starmie (or Tentacruel if you prefer - I'm recommending Starmie though because it outspeeds Terrakion and Landorus, both massive threats to your team) in place of Jellicent. Helpful threat coverage, you get that crucial Rapid Spin, and you're not using enough entry hazards for a spinblocker to be strictly necessary. Use 216 Speed Timid and then divide the rest between HP and SpAtk depending on your preference.

Now. I really don't like how you can't touch Dragons with this team. Heatran can take a few Outrage's but obviously is EQ / Surf weak and can't do anything in return besides hoping for a burn or phazing. Mence of course can revenge but you don't want to be doing that until the lategame. Because of this I want to recommend replacing your Sharpedo with the standard CB Scizor. It literally checks exactly the same things as Sharpedo does, and some more, but without relying on faster threats to not not boost or Sub as you Protect. You don't get quite the same nice sweepability in the endgame but you're not really offering it enough support anyway imo.

Kay, those changes will definitely make your threatlist a lot more happy. Hope you like the suggestions and they help out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)