A BW1 SUN TEAM :3

this is a sun team from BW1. I made this team myself(surprisingly), and i like to think of it as quite solid, plus it looks cool in team preview IMO which is actually a big consideration for me when teambuilding lol. It doesnt work so well in BW2 as the new stuff gives it a hard time, in particular keldeo

Things i like about the team:

The sprite lineup and teampreview lineup looks cool
Sun is pretty cool
Porygon2 is pretty cool
CB victini is a bawss

Things i dont like about the team:

Reliance of dugtrio to trap heatran (and also ttar and terrakion to a lesser extent)

No steel type

Reliance on spinning kindof (deoxys-D teams can give me a lot of shit depending on movesets and mindgames)

Sand + Voltturn in BW1 could be tough and would make for a lot of prediction needed, but it was by no means insurmountable with good play

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 216 HP / 28 SAtk / 224 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Roar

Obligatory weather starter for sun teams. I like this set for its extra bulk which is handy for taking on politoed and other threats. I usually like to go for wow or another status on a ninetales, but i dont like being unable to break heatrans balloon, sunny day is important in tandem with victini ( will explain later) and roar is very useful vs cm latias and other setup sweepers. Its pretty crap offensiveyl, i mostly use it as a pivot,e.g come in set up and sun and double switch out to victini so it can do some work w/ sun up.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Rock Tomb

As much as i hate being reliant on dugtrio for trapping, it is an integral part of the team, the thing i am dire need of trapping is heatran, followed by tyranitar and terrakion as secondary concerns but still important ones, although i am by no means helpless vs these threats should dugtrio fail in his duties. Moveset is standard for BW, and aerial ace is a neat little filler which is helpful against virizion and breloom who can potentially be problematic but its a variable moveset. Breloom always tries to set up a sub or BU vs dugtrio only to get 2hkoed which is funny.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 152 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

The boss. Great defensive wall for a sun team with its huge bulk, beats common sun threats such as heatran, landorus, gyarados, dragonite, gliscor, salamence, latios etc with the help of trace. Trace is agreat ability, stealing multiscale off dragonite, poison heal off gliscor (u mad subtoxicprotect?), flash fire off of heatran, natural cure for easy healing etc, also makes me laugh whenever i get a moxie boost after killing a gyarados or something similar (stealing prankster off of tornadus is quality too, priority thwave and recovery). Just a great all round bulky wall which is perfect on a sun team IMO with a suitably trolly ability. The evs allow me to survive 2 DM's from specs latios after sr i believe, i have boltbeam coverage, recover and thwave because i need to prevent getting setup on, and paralysis makes stuff so much easier to handle, plus when shit is paralysed victini goes to town

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Good spinner for a sun team. A nice physical wall too. EQ is handy for terrakion, heatran, ttar, sr and spin are obvious, and headsmash is because i find ice shard kinda weak,and i hate being unable to touch rotom-w and gengar. ( I have now changed to ice shard to hit landorus gliscor and dragons better and because head smash misses a lot which is p gay)

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Fusion Bolt
- V-create
- Brick Break

The God. 2hkos everything, ever, in the sun, and just wrecks house. The way i play the team is just to get victini in safely as much as possible to destory everything. vcreate is so powerful, and just completely dismantles stall ,uturn is nice for scouting and luring out ttar and heatran for a trap (although ttar is 2hkoed by vcreate even in sand). Versus rain teams this scenario is very common: bulkytoed switches in on tales, i sunny day as they do nothing pretty much, i go to victini and something dies. Im mostly spamming vcreate or uturning, although people seem to love switching politoed in on victini for some reason, and usually its very predictable which is where fusion bolt comes in handy. Brick break is filler, evs are for max wreckage.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Synthesis
- SolarBeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chlorophyll abuser, and cleaner/RK.Used to be victreebell but it was too frail. This is my favourite set for venusaur, timid makes it super fast, and LO provides moar power. i like 3 attacks as grass fire coverage is crap, and synthesis is pretty useful sometimes.

Threats: new stuff from BW2 is soooo annoying, i hate bw2, particularly keldeo and thundurus-t.

I'm looking to make this team more viable in BW2, feel free to suggest anything, although i love the synergy atm, and i hope not to have to make massive changes to the team, and if this is what needs to happen ill probably just let it die, as bw2 sucks and i rarely play anymore as a result.

i wish people still played BW1 :(

ill put pics n shit in after i post

Hey.

First off, nice sun team. The first thing I saw was your lack of steel types meaning that a hard hitting Dragon such as Salamence or Latios can hurt your team pretty hard. To help with this I would recommend running Forretress>Donphan. Forretress can pretty much do everything Donphan did but now also hit dragon types too. This is also gives you the option of running Spikes. His only weakness may be amplified by the sun however you have various pokemon to take those hits such as Ninetales or Victini. Also forretress retains the Sturdy from Donphan.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpAtk
Nature: Bold
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ice

Now with Forretress on your team you may have lost Stealth Rock however I would suggest now running Stealth Rock>Aerial Ace on Dugtrio because Aerial Ace doesn't really hit that much hard anyway and Rocks are always important. Also I would try running Sleep Powder>Synthesis on Venusaur because you don't really need synthesis due to Venusaur generally being a late game sweeper and Sleep Powder allows you to cripple an opponent's pokemon for almost the entirety of a match. Also Discharge+Thunderwave is fairly redundant on Porygon-2 so you should try running Thunderbolt>Discharge or Toxic>Thunderwave, whichever you feel like. Good luck with the team.

Hey Razza, cool team. A couple of threats that I found to your team are Latias, Latios, and rain teams if you lose the weather war.

If you lose the weather war to opposing rain teams, you don't have any reliable ways of hitting them too much. I suggest giving Venusaur Giga Drain over Solarbeam. It's a much safer option in case you lose the weather war and can potentially save you by not needing to charge up for Solarbeam. It will also help you out against Rain Stall because if you are unable to take down Politoed, Rain Stall will give you massive troubles. Latios and Latias also look like a bit of a pain since you do not have too much things to effectively hit them. If you use Sleep Powder over Synthesis on Venusaur you can really help cripple them which allows you to take them out easier. Giga Drain should provide you with enough recovery anyways since Venusaur is mostly going to be cleaning up or revenge killing things. You are also missing 4 EVs on Venusaur. Add them into HP. Another thing I noticed that can be troublesome are Dragon-type Pokemon in general since you lack a steel-type resist so I agree with Aquaaa in changing Donphan into Forretress. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.

@ aqua, interestingly i have never considered forretress for the spot, but i will make sure to try it out at some point, i think i will go with either EQ/Gyro ball over spikes/vswitch though because donphans ability to threaten terrakion, ttar and heatran is very valuable.

@ sl, thanks for the rate man, i have yet to try out an BW2 moveset changes on venusaur but i will try out some giga drain variations at some point, rain stall isnt too much of a problem most of the time as victini 2hkos everything and i can simply do some clever double switching to enable sun is up to get a chance to spam vcreate, (common scenraio: chansey vs victini sun is up, they go to politoed or tentacruel i uturn out to ninetales for the weather advantage or fusion bolt, and i maintain momentum, rain stall's problem stems from the fact that common rain stall mons have trouble doing significant damage to ninetales meaning getting sun up is relatively easy) where i would encounter problems is if i couldnt keep sr off the field, or if the rain stall team has something like gastrodon,tentacruel,dragonite who need 2hkos to die and the use of protect means i run out of vcreates before killing everything, its really a race to see whether they can survive 8 vcreates vs rain stall, also politoed loves to switch into victini and repeated uturns or a fusion bolt will get rid of it. If i choose a growth giga drain set on venusaur, that would make rain stall easier too so its another bonus of considering that too, the dragon issue isnt as problematic as it is on paper as porygon2's incredible bulk means it can handle latias/salamence/latios/dragonite, although porygon2 carries a great deal of defensive responsibility and canbe overloaded against certain teams, ice shard on donphan helps with dragons as well if im running that at the time,

also BOOMP

i am beginning to regret typing this up :(

Emeral

toward new horizons
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Hey Razza, your team looks pretty cool and intersting to play. I used a very similar sun team in middle BW1 and it worked pretty well. P2 is a very usefull pokemon under the sun and choice band victini is a nightmare against stall teams even in rain.
--------
The fisrt problem I saw on your team is your dugtrio's moveset. here how you should use this pokemon if you want to derive maximum benefit from its ability to trapp :

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Earthquake
- what you want / substitute / SR / Memento
- Rock Tomb
- Reversal

21 IV HP 0 Def
21 IV in HP to have 201 HP. It allows dugtrio to take 2 seismic toss from Blissey and then KO it with a powerfull reversal at 1HP. It also allows you to be alive after 4 substitutes with 1 HP. The 0 IV in defense and the hasty nature are here to always have 1 HP after after taking damage against bulky or scarf Tyranitar (crunch will do 99%, Stone edge 99%, Pursuit 90% from bulky tar and 99% from the scarf) and so make more dammage with reversal.
--> Why Rock Tomb ? Because it's sufficient to OHKO most of the Volcarona and also because it prevents big threat for a sun team such as sub acrobat gliscor, gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite to set up easily against Dugtrio. And as you don't have real counter to this pokemons, you really need rock tomb to handle this problem. It can also be usefull against a Politoed if it is scarf, a simple dugtrio can use earthquake only once against scarf politoed although this moveset can inflict rock tomb + earthquake and get slower than Ninetales.
-------
The second major problem of the team is your weakness to offensive sweepers such as Dragonite, Landorus and Sub Gliscor. Donphan can't stop them for the simple reason that you don't have ice Shard. The simplest way to handle them is to put more defense on your Porygon2's moveset which is to specially defensive oriented. Your don't need a calm nature and so many evs in special defense to switch easily against a latios or gengar. It's why I suggest you to run a bold nature on Porygon2 and more evs in defense.
A spread like this looks correct for the team:

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Earthquake from Landorus does 22.72 - 27.27% in sun,,Acrobatics from gliscor does only 31.55 - 37.7% with flying gem and outrage +1 from Dnite does 48.12 - 56.95%. This Porygon handle the major problems of your team and gives a switch in to this pokemon.

I hoped I help and congrats again for your team Razza ! :)

Emeral's notes on IVs for Dugtrip make some sense and I recommend that.

Sucker Punch > Aerial Ace for Dugtrio. Allows you to hit grngar hard, and in the case you have been put to focus sash with a gengar as the opponent, eq does no damage, neither does reversal, se has low accuracy, so you get in a sucker punch.

Also Thunderbolt > Discharge on Porygon2. Higher BP, same accuracy, same purpose.

Ill add more later.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hey, pretty nice Sun team you have there but i have a few things to comment.

First of all I think you should replace Head Smash with Ice Shard on Donphan. The reason is because Head Smash is simply bad on a Pokémon like Donphan, and Ice Shard can be really useful to get stuff like Landorus and Dragon-types in general. You can also get nice priority that is always appreciated. And even though you won't hit Rotom-W and Gengar with it, Head Smash won't do that hell of a damage too and it's easier to check them with the rest of your team.

Now I believe your team has a huge weakness against Special Dragons, aka Lati@s, who can just come in on a resisted move and use hell strong Specs boosted Draco Meteor and KO something. Even Porygon2 will take a strong damage against it. So I guess you could try Heatran over Porygon2 to tank Special Dragons in a better way. This is a minor suggestion, though, as i think that Porygon2 is a nice mixed wall. Just something to try.

Lastly i think a Chesto Rest Volcarona would fit really well in this team, maybe over Victini. I also feel like Stealth Rock on Dugtrio would be nice, even though you already have it on Donphan it might save you in some battles. And i almost forgot, 21 HP IVs on Dugtrio to tank exactly two Seismic Toss from Chansey / Blissey and then hit hard as a truck with Reversal.

Anyways, great team and good luck :)

Thanks emeral, im changing to your dugtrio set and going with ice shard on donphan, ive tried the ev spread you suggested before but i prefer mine as it allows me to take 2 specs DM from latios which is a big threat and it is helpful with stuff like gengar too.

Hey, pretty nice Sun team you have there but i have a few things to comment.

First of all I think you should replace Head Smash with Ice Shard on Donphan. The reason is because Head Smash is simply bad on a Pokémon like Donphan, and Ice Shard can be really useful to get stuff like Landorus and Dragon-types in general. You can also get nice priority that is always appreciated. And even though you won't hit Rotom-W and Gengar with it, Head Smash won't do that hell of a damage too and it's easier to check them with the rest of your team.

Now I believe your team has a huge weakness against Special Dragons, aka Lati@s, who can just come in on a resisted move and use hell strong Specs boosted Draco Meteor and KO something. Even Porygon2 will take a strong damage against it. So I guess you could try Heatran over Porygon2 to tank Special Dragons in a better way. This is a minor suggestion, though, as i think that Porygon2 is a nice mixed wall. Just something to try.

Lastly i think a Chesto Rest Volcarona would fit really well in this team, maybe over Victini. I also feel like Stealth Rock on Dugtrio would be nice, even though you already have it on Donphan it might save you in some battles. And i almost forgot, 21 HP IVs on Dugtrio to tank exactly two Seismic Toss from Chansey / Blissey and then hit hard as a truck with Reversal.

Anyways, great team and good luck :)
porygon2's evs allow me to take 2 specs dm from latios, and heatran would make me weaker to gliscor and landorus. I amnt really a fan of volcarona and i prefer the immediate power victini brings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)