Banner by icepick. Credits goes to Tobes and myself for getting this written.
Hello everyone! Welcome to Smogon Metagames. In these forums, we discuss Pokemon competitively, from our tiering process to discussing our battling experiences. Please note that we primarily discuss battling on our official simulator: Pokemon Showdown!
. If you are looking for a battle on Wi-Fi, check out our Wi-Fi forum
. If you want to discuss Pokemon in a non-competitive environment, check out the Orange Islands forum
. If you are, in fact, looking to post in this forum, then there are some rules you need to follow.
- Suspect discussion is currently allowed in appropriately labeled threads. Refrain from chatting about which Pokemon should become suspects, but rather, focus more on the current suspects.
- When in doubt, use the Simple Questions / Simple Answers thread in the appropriate forum. If your question isn't metagame-pertinent, it most likely belongs in those threads. Most of the time, in fact, questions that can be answered in a paragraph or less belong here too. This includes questions about the tiering of Pokemon. Players looking for an introduction to the metagame should also use this thread to pose their questions. You can find SQSA threads for the following metagames:
Ruins of Alph
- DO NOT make threads to ask a single question. Use the SQSA threads linked above to ask your questions. If you're going to make a thread, make sure it encourages discussion. If you have doubts whether your thread is acceptable or not, PM a moderator of that forum about it; they'd love to help you out.
- Similarly, don't make threads for a Pokemon if a thread for it already exists. Use the Search function to make sure. If a thread already exists but is insufficient, contact a moderator (the bold names at the bottom of the forum page) for permission.
- Your teams do not belong here. They belong in the Rate My Team section, which can be found here for any metagame.
- Don't make pointless posts. In a nutshell, don't make posts in a discussion thread that neither actually contribute to the discussion at hand or set up a viable discussion; furthermore, don't make posts without content. Instead of expressing that you think it's super-neato that a Pokemon got a new move, explain how that move impacts that Pokemon in the new metagame. Post with purpose!
- Try not to double post. There's an edit button for a reason. If you need to delete one of your posts, the delete button is an option after selecting edit.
- Make the effort for your posts to be grammatically correct and coherent. We understand that not everyone speaks English as their first language, and we're willing to give some leeway here, but if English is your first language you really have no excuse to be making incoherent posts. Bad formatting not only makes your posts unpleasant to read, but they also lessen the positive impact of the points you're trying to make.
- Avoid excessive quoting. It's obnoxious, especially when you quote three paragraphs to answer with a one-liner. Please don't do that. If you need to, manually edit out some of the quote by writing -Snip- or something similar.
- Do not discuss illegal activities. Using ROMs, asking for hacks, and other activities that are against the law will not be tolerated. Be smart about what you're posting. If you're interested in RNG (Random Number Generator), check out this thread.
- Do not insult or flame other users. Correcting users when they say something that's clearly wrong is fine. Calling them a fag or saying they are stupid/retarded is an automatic 2 point infraction, no exceptions for anyone, badged users included. Let's try to make these forums a friendly place for everyone.
If you have any more questions about the rules, or anything in general, you can ask them in the Global SQSA thread
. Hopefully, these rules will help continue to make Smogon Metagames a great place to post in. Thanks for reading!