Aipom (BW2 Revamp)

I'm so glad we can finally get people to realize how bad this thing is.

Oh my god why are people still using this

QC: blarajan, iss, Hawkstar
GP: melvni, DittoCrow

[Overview]

<p>Aipom used to be useful in the days of DPP, when it was able to utilize its fantastic Speed and decent Attack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining its surprise factor, and the introduction of Eviolite made Aipom's Attack stat pathetic by ushering in a more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful otherwise, because it's definitely not going to happen.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Return
move 3: Shadow Claw
move 4: U-turn
item: Life Orb
ability: Pickup
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Aipom's best chance at contributing to its team. Aipom has the fastest Fake Out in the game, but it's rather weak. Return is its strongest STAB move, while Shadow Claw is used to fight off Ghost-types that are immune to Return. U-turn is good to get out of sticky situations, which are all too common when using Aipom. The recommended nature is Jolly, as it gives Aipom 19 Speed. However, if you want a bit more power, you can use Adamant at the cost of being slower than fast offensive threats such as Misdreavus and Murkrow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With Life Orb, Pickup won't be much help, but it can come in handy if Aipom somehow loses its item, and Aipom's other abilities are completely useless. Aipom hits 19 Speed but has only 16 Attack, so it can't do anything impressive. It has very bad defenses too, so it'll be gone pretty quickly if you're not careful. Brick Break is an okay replacement for U-turn if you want to hit Rock- and Steel-types. Aipom has a lot of counters, but Fighting-types and Ghost-types stand out; Murkrow and Abra help to handle the former, while Houndour and Misdreavus can help with the latter.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aipom can run a rather interesting set with Acrobatics, Flying Gem, and Pickup, allowing it to defeat Mienfoo. However, the power boost from Life Orb is greatly missed on all of its other attacks. There's also the possibility of a Nasty Plot and Baton Pass set, as Aipom is the only Pokemon in Little Cup capable of doing this outside of Togepi and Mime Jr. Sadly, Aipom has bad Special Attack and no moves to properly utilize it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fighting-types and Ghost-types are the best counters to Aipom. Pokemon with the former type can OHKO with any super-effective move, and the latter is immune or resistant to almost all of Aipom's moveset and can also OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting or a coverage move of choice. Sandshrew and Hippopotas can take any of Aipom's attacks and hit back with Earthquake. In general, any Pokemon that can outspeed Aipom&mdash;with or without the aid of a Choice Scarf&mdash;will be able to take it down.</p>

Put Brick Break in AC. Remove anything but Nasty Plot + Baton Pass from OO...don't give anyone else any ideas.

QC 1/3

When you're writing this up, I want you to REALLY emphasize how fucking shitty it is. Legit. I want you to make this sound like the shittiest fucking Pokemon because it IS.

What Hawkstar said. And don't worry, I hate Aipom with a flaming, burning passion. I will not go lightly on it.

I had a succesful (yet gimmicky) Flying Gem Acrobatics Lead Set which could OHKO non-CS Mienfoo. It's very difficult to play so I'm suggesting it in OO: Fake Out/Acrobatics/U-turn/Return|Taunt @Flying Gem. EV's are just the same old. It actually puts Pick Up some use if you're exposed to Oran Berry Dwebble (it saved me once). Again, it's a little gimmick but if you can play it correctly it could be game-breaking as you take out Mienfoo, a top threat.

It has acces to Knock Off too and a fast Taunt is very good on a Meta infested with slow SR setters; it's good when used against Lileep or Restalk Chinchou.

I'm not saying Aipom is GREAT but it has a little use.

Good Luck, I refuse to add that set. Like blara said, we don't want to give people ideas.

This is written, so let's run this through GP and pray that this will be my fastest analysis ever completed to date.

Someoneelse

Why am I here?
Am check
Add
Remove
Comments
<p>Aipom used to be a great lead in the days of D/PP, when it was able to utilize it's Remove Apostrophe fantastic Sspeed and decent Aattack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining it's Remove Apostrophe surprise factor., and the introduction of Eviolite makes Aipom's Attack stat pathetic in the more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful, because it's definitely not going to happen.</p>

[SET]

evs: 196 Aatk / 76 Ddef / 236 Sspe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is the only thing Aipom should ever do, besides staying in it's Remove Apostrophe Pokeball and weeping at how pathetic it is. It has the fastest Fake- Out in the game, but it's weak. Return is it's Remove Apostrophe strongest STAB move, but it's still weak. Shadow Claw is used to hit Ghost-types, but it's weak as well. U-turn is to get out of sticky situations, which is every situation for Aipom.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Like all of Aipom's other abilities, Pickup is totally useless. Aipom hits 19 Speed, but has only 19 Attack, so it can't do anything impressive. It has very bad defenses and it will die to anything that can launch an attack. Brick Break is an okay replacement for U-turn if you wanna hit Rock- and Steel-types and die even faster. Since everything counters Aipom, you'll need a whole team just to pick up the slack since you're playing a 5-6 battle with it. Fighting-types are the first major counter, so Murkrow and Abra can handle them. Ghost-types are the second ones, so partners such as Houndour and Misdreavus would be ideal. However, the best course of action would be to use the superior Minccino, andor to not use Aipom at all.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>If putting "absolutely nothing" was acceptable, that is what would be here. Sadly, there is one other thing that Aipom can somewhat pull off, and that's a Nasty Plot and Baton Pass set. However, it's a horrible idea and it shouldn't be attempted.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Everything. Realistically, Fighting-types and Ghost-types are the best counters. The former can OHKO with any super-effective move, and the latter is immune or resistant to almost all of Aipom's moveset and can also OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting or a coverage move of choice. Sandshrew and Hippopotas can take any attack at any time and hit back with Earthquake. Anything scarfed can outspeed and OHKO. In fact, anything can OHKO. It's like magic.</p>

[UNRELEASED]

<p>Aipom recieves Skill Link from the Dream World. DoubleSlap is the only move Aipom has that can abuse this ability, and Minccino has Tail Slap and Skill Link, which is unarguably better in every way.</p>

I'll redo this after you redo the writing.

Alright, I know that Aipom is one of the shitty noob pokes and all, but this isn't really acceptable in its current state. It's far too dismissive, and I know Aipom is far from the best Pokemon or even a "good" Pokemon, but this doesn't really cut it. There are more appropriate ways to say what you're trying to say :S

Also, add the Acrobatics Flight Gem set in OO, and Skill Link is available so just remove the Unreleased section.

This honestly sounds like a joke anaysis, which I don't really think is good for something that is at least usable. If LC has Pidgey sound somewhat usable, then I doubt Aipom should be treated in this way. (unless it really is THAT bad, which seems to be true-ish?)

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From a GP perspective, and less so QC or whatever, could you take a little more time looking over this?

Aipom used to be a great lead in the days of D/P, when it was able to utilize it's fantastic speed and decent attack to function as a surprise lead.
I mean, this is the opening sentence and it has a basic grammatical error, two capitalisation errors, usage of D/P instead of DPP, and it was never a "surprise lead" really.

I tried HLing you on IRC about it but you didn't respond.

oh lordy these replies stacked up faster than I was suspecting.

ok, since this was quite over the top, I will do a less, eh, rude version tomorrow or Monday. for now this can be on the waiting list until I rewrite it. sorry everyone!

OKIE DOKIE. This has been rewritten and is now less demeaning. Also, the AcroGem set has been added to OO.

GP check. Only two major comments: don't use abuse unless you mean use for a bad purpose & be careful with its vs it's (though you had this right most of the time)
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Aipom used to be a great lead in the days of D/P DPP, when it was able to utilize it's (remove apostrophe) fantastic speed Speed and decent attack Attack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining it's (remove apostrophe) surprise factor. (change to comma) and the introduction of Eviolite makes made Aipom's Attack stat pathetic in the by creating/introducing/ushering in (whichever you prefer or a word you like better) a more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful otherwise, because it's definitely not going to happen.</p>

[SET]

evs: 196 atk / 76 def / 236 spe 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is the only set Aipom should ever use, because any other set will not work at all (might (your call) want to slightly rephrase this to account for the second set you mention in OO that serves at least some purpose). Aipom has the fastest Fake Out in the game, but it's rather weak. Return is its strongest STAB move. Shadow Claw is used to fight off Ghost-types. U-turn is good to get out of sticky situations, which you may will find yourself in often when using Aipom. The recommended nature is Jolly, as it gives Aipom 19 Speed. However, if you want a bit more power, you can use Adamant at the cost of being slower than fast offensive threats such as Misdreavus or and Murkrow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>With Life Orb, Pickup won't be much help, but it can come in handy if Aipom somehow loses its item, and Aipom's other abilities are completely useless. Aipom hits 19 Speed, (remove comma) but has only 16 Attack, so it can't do anything impressive. It has very bad defenses too, so it'll be gone pretty quickly if you're not careful. Brick Break is an okay replacement for U-turn if you wanna want to hit Rock- and Steel-types. Aipom has a lot of counters, but there are two types that really stand out. Fighting-types are the first major counter, so Murkrow and Abra can make good teammates to handle them. Ghost-types are the second ones one, so partners such as Houndour and Misdreavus would be ideal.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Oddly enough, Aipom can run a rather interesting set with Acrobatics, Flying Gem, and Pickup, which lets it get past Mienfoo. However, the power boost from Life Orb is greatly missed on all other attacks. There's also the possibility of a Nasty Plot and Baton Pass set, as Aipom is the only Pokemon is in Little Cup outside of Togepi and Mime Jr. (alternatively, if you don't like mentioning these two as I'm fairly certain they're never used in LC, you could add something like "Aipom is the only close to relevant Pokemon in Little Cup..." or a phrasing you prefer instead; I'm pretty sure Togepi and Mime Jr. can learn the combo at level 5 though since both get Baton Pass by level up and Nasty Plot by breeding) capable of doing this. Sadly, Aipom has bad special attack Special Attack and no moves to properly abuse utilize it, not to mention that it needs the coverage it has to get by.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Fighting-types and Ghost-types are the best counters. The former can OHKO with any super-effective move, and the latter is immune or resistant to almost all of Aipom's moveset and can also OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting or a coverage move of choice. Sandshrew and Hippopotas can take any attack at any time and hit back with Earthquake. Anything scarfed can outspeed and OHKO.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
amcheck
[Overview]

<p>Aipom used to be a great leaduseful in the days of DPP, when it was able to utilize its fantastic Speed and decent Attack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining its surprise factor, and the introduction of Eviolite made Aipom's Attack stat pathetic by ushering in a more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful in any otherwise, because it's definitely not going to happeuation.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the only setset is Aipom's best chan usce at co full extent unless your team needs something else from itributing to its team. Aipom has the fastest Fake Out in the game, but it's rather weak. Return is its strongest STAB move. Shadow Claw is used to fight off Ghost-types. U-turn is good to get out of sticky situations, which you wiare all find yourself in oftetoo common when using Aipom. The recommended nature is Jolly, as it gives Aipom 19 Speed. However, if you want a bit more power, you can use Adamant at the cost of being slower than fast offensive threats such as Misdreavus and Murkrow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With Life Orb, Pickup won't be much help, but it can come in handy if Aipom somehow loses its item, and Aipom's other abilities are completely useless. Aipom hits 19 Speed but has only 16 Attack, so it can't do anything impressive. It has very bad defenses too, so it'll be gone pretty quickly if you're not careful. Brick Break is an okay replacement for U-turn if you want to hit Rock- and Steel-types. Aipom has a lot of counters, but there are two Fighting-types that really stand out. FightingGhost-types are the first major counter, soand out; Murkrow and Abra make good teammateshelp to handle them. Ghost-types are the second one, so partners such as former, while Houndour and Misdreavus would be idealcan help with the latter.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aipom can run a rather interesting set with Acrobatics, Flying Gem, and Pickup, which letsallowing it get pasto defeat Mienfoo. However, the power boost from Life Orb is greatly missed on all of its other attacks. There's also the possibility of a Nasty Plot and Baton Pass set, as Aipom is the only Pokemon in Little Cup capable of doing this outside of Togepi and Mime Jr. Sadly, Aipom has bad Special Attack and no moves to properly utilize it, not to mention it needs the coverage it has to get by.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fighting-types and Ghost-types are the best counters to Aipom. TPokemon with the former type can OHKO with any super-effective move, and the latter is immune or resistant to almost all of Aipom's moveset and can also OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting or a coverage move of choice. Sandshrew and Hippopotas can take any of Aipom's attack at any times and hit back with Earthquake. Anything scarfedIn general, any Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKOAipom&mdash;with or without the aid of a Choice Scarf&mdash;will be able to take it down.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Aipom used to be useful in the days of DPP, when it was able to utilize its fantastic Speed and decent Attack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining its surprise factor, and the introduction of Eviolite made Aipom's Attack stat pathetic by ushering in a more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful in any other situation.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Aipom's best chance at contributing to its team. Aipom has the fastest Fake Out in the game, but it's rather weak. Return is its strongest STAB move. Shadow Claw is used to fight off Ghost-types. U-turn is good to get out of sticky situations, which are all too common when using Aipom. The recommended nature is Jolly, as it gives Aipom 19 Speed. However, if you want a bit more power, you can use Adamant at the cost of being slower than fast offensive threats such as Misdreavus and Murkrow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With Life Orb, Pickup won't be much help, but it can come in handy if Aipom somehow loses its item, and Aipom's other abilities are completely useless. Aipom hits 19 Speed but has only 16 Attack, so it can't do anything impressive. It has very bad defenses too, so it'll be gone pretty quickly if you're not careful. Brick Break is an okay replacement for U-turn if you want to hit Rock- and Steel-types. Aipom has a lot of counters, but Fighting-types and Ghost-types stand out; Murkrow and Abra help to handle the former, while Houndour and Misdreavus can help with the latter.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aipom can run a rather interesting set with Acrobatics, Flying Gem, and Pickup, allowing it to defeat Mienfoo. However, the power boost from Life Orb is greatly missed on all of its other attacks. There's also the possibility of a Nasty Plot and Baton Pass set, as Aipom is the only Pokemon in Little Cup capable of doing this outside of Togepi and Mime Jr. Sadly, Aipom has bad Special Attack and no moves to properly utilize it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fighting-types and Ghost-types are the best counters to Aipom. Pokemon with the former type can OHKO with any super-effective move, and the latter is immune or resistant to almost all of Aipom's moveset and can also OHKO with Hidden Power Fighting or a coverage move of choice. Sandshrew and Hippopotas can take any of Aipom's attacks and hit back with Earthquake. In general, any Pokemon that can outspeed Aipom&mdash;with or without the aid of a Choice Scarf&mdash;will be able to take it down.</p>

Thanks wchuck, I implemented everything except for the last line under Overview. I like that line, and unless GP says otherwise I'd like to keep it.

[Overview]

<p>Aipom used to be useful in the days of DPP, when it was able to utilize its fantastic Speed and decent Attack to function as a surprise lead. However, a new generation came along, and Aipom was pushed to the bottom of the barrel by stronger threats and new mechanics. Team Preview killed any chance Aipom had at being effective by ruining its surprise factor, and the introduction of Eviolite made Aipom's Attack stat pathetic by ushering in a more defensive metagame. Aipom can still do a decent job at being a lead, but don't expect it to be useful otherwise, because it's definitely not going to happen.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Aipom's best chance at contributing to its team. Aipom has the fastest Fake Out in the game, but it's rather weak. Return is its strongest STAB move., while Shadow Claw is used to fight off Ghost-types that are immune to Return. U-turn is good to get out of sticky situations, which are all too common when using Aipom. The recommended nature is Jolly, as it gives Aipom 19 Speed. However, if you want a bit more power, you can use Adamant at the cost of being slower than fast offensive threats such as Misdreavus and Murkrow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

[gp]2/2[/gp]

I took the liberty of implementing DittoCrow's changes here as they were rather small and easy to do. This analysis is now done. Good job Gengan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)