How do you kill this? Rhyperior Discussion.

#464 Rhyperior (Rock / Ground)
Base Stats: 115 HP / 140 Atk / 130 Def / 55 SAtk / 55 SDef / 40 Spd
Ability: Hard Rock (super-effective damage is cut by 33%)
Ability: Lightning Rod (why would you use this one?)

Notable Physical Movepool
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Rock Blast
Rock Slide
Megahorn
Arm Hammer
Focus Punch
Shadow Claw
Crunch
Snow Slide
Ice Fang
Fire Fang
Fire Punch (Emerald Tutor)
Thunder Fang
Thunderpunch (Emerald Tutor)
Dragon Dive

Notable Support Movepool
Rock Cart
Swords Dance
Stealth Rock

This thing is a monster. Jumpman and I were discussing it and we thought a new discussion should be made since plenty of people seem to not be thinking about it really. Rhyperior's ability makes him really a bitch to kill and he can handle so many of the metagame's threats that it's almost silly. A 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def Impish Gliscor at best 4HKOs Rhyperior, and that's if Rhyperior has no defense IVs and HP EVs.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def -SAtk)
Trait: Hard Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn

After a Swords Dance this kills so many standards it's ridiculous. Gyarados can't counter it either since even after Intimidate Stone Edge does a number on it. Megahorn hits Slowbro for super-effective, and Rhyperior even outspeeds it. Earthquake 2HKOs Slowbro at worst too after an SD, along with 2HKOing Hippowdon and any number of other non-Earthquake-immune defensive Pokemon. The only solution my own team had to Rhyperior was Sand Veil Gliscor to be immune to Earthquake and give Stone Edge a bad chance of hitting.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SAtk)
EVs: 196 HP / 200 Atk / 112 SDef
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn

This takes physical hits worse but special hits much better. Its offensive nature with those attack EVs give it the ability to majorly threaten bulky waters after a Swords Dance. It survives many Pokes' STAB Surfs to boot so it can go for a risky 2HKO.

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn
-Snow Slide

Choice Bander does severe damage to most everything in the game that could counter Rhyperior, as evidenced by Jumpman's calculations later in the thread.

Jumpman could do a much better job of enumerating the threat this thing is and how hard it is to kill, but this thread should both be about Rhyperior sets and how to counter this guy. He's such a major threat.

Will be updated with any counters that are found.

To counter this, I'll be using a Suicunt. Swampert or Vaporeon should do fine, too. I think Milotic can do it imo if it's asleep. Just pray STalk selects Surf. Starmie should be able to counter it, as long as it avoids Megahorn. Grass Rope should also do ridiculous amounts of damage, so defensive Grass Ropers are also a good choice.

To counter this, I'll be using a Suicunt. Swampert or Vaporeon should do fine, too. I think Milotic can do it imo if it's asleep. Just pray STalk selects Surf. Starmie should be able to counter it, as long as it avoids Megahorn. Grass Rope should also do ridiculous amounts of damage, so defensive Grass Ropers are also a good choice.
STAB Surfs and Grass Ropes counter it, yes, but consider that the main bulky water worth using is Slowbro (weak to Megahorn, slower than Rhyperior) and Swampert (takes a lot from STAB Earthquake). Starmie can't switch into Megahorn at all and the major physical defense grass-type in Tangrowth takes super-effective damage from Megahorn as well. A counter by definition needs to be able to switch into Rhyperior, and so long as Rhyperior is using Stone Edge / Earthquake / Megahorn it covers its major weaknesses extremely well.

Vaporeon takes massive damage from offensively-oriented Rhyperior, 400+ attack even before a Swords Dance against Vaporeon's low base defense is murder. Swampert resists Stone Edge but also takes a lot from Earthquake.

Tangrowth should work well. Even a max attack Rhyperior fails to OHKO with Megahorn, and that's against a tangrowth with no HP or Def EVs. Meanwhile, Tangrowth can score a OHKO with Grass Rope.

Obviously hitting it with water or grass attacks that get X2.66 or ice that's x1.33 against his crappy 55 base special defense is the only way to go. He takes too little damage even from SE fighting/ground/steel attacks, unless Metagross's meteor mash miraculously raises its power 4-5 times in a row before Rhyperior switches in.

His max atk adamant megahorns does ~107-126% to max/min Starmie, which is scary, but Starmie's STABed surf is a guaranteed KO even with hard rock if it can get in. Slowbro has the same spatk, but his speed is below Rhyperior's and will have a hard time getting in.

Starmie can be EVEd for better odds, though. If the Rhyperior is EVed for tanking (impish with lots of HP and DEF), giving it a lower ATK of let's say 340, then max HP Starmie only needs 215 DEF to survive, leaving it with 222 EVs, which hits 353 SPD if timid. Even less in sets with only 6EVs for Rhyperior's attack like above. This might be a good idea on AG Starmie instead of the usual 6/252/252 spreads I keep seeing anyway because of pursuit as well.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although not the best option I see no reason why you shouldn't have Stealth Rock in it's support movepool.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers ** Bulldozer
Impish + Def -Sp.atk
252 HP and Def, 4 atk
Sleep Talk
Rest
Rock Cannon
Giga attack/Earthquake/Horn Drill

HOLY SHIT! The dual hyper beam sleep talker idea was made up by my brother for Dialga but I think it could be a bitch. With no recharge time for hyper beam moves when sleep talking you have a good chance of killing everything even if you pick rest sometimes. Use EQ/Giga Cannon only if no OHKO are allowed. EQ is an option because with STAB it does the same ammount of damage as Giga Attack.

Plus Suicune takes a minimum of 53% from an Earthquake from a fairly un-offensive (350 attack) Rhyperior after a swords dance. Rhyperior (if it feels like it) can simply stay in, just about take the Surf and then finish Cune off. Not really a counter per se!

His max atk adamant megahorns does ~107-126% to max/min Starmie, which is scary, but Starmie's STABed surf is a guaranteed KO even with hard rock if it can get in. Slowbro has the same spatk, but his speed is below Rhyperior's and will have a hard time getting in.
Starmie running max HP is screwed in being able to do serious damage to the opponent, the more common Starmie spreads giving it ~341 - 352 SPD will only have a few HP EVs. Megahorn will OHKO pretty much every competitive Starmie spread on switch-ins. It's true that a more defensive spread takes Pursuits better, but even with Adherence Glasses running minimum special attack is just not smart since Starmie can't do much damage outside of super-effectives.

As for Tangrowth being a counter, it's easily walled by other Pokemon and Rhyperior does 46.7% - 54.9% damage to max HP / max+ defense Tangrowth. Sure, it can switch in, but without Wish support all they need to do is switch to a Gliscor who takes little damage from Grass Rope, is immune to it's commonly-carried (in RMTs) Earthquake, and walls its other physical hits.

A counter needs to switch in with minimal damage and be able to scare it away repeatedly, taking nearly 50% damage from a 252 HP / 252 Atk Adamant Rhyperior isn't good for a counter. Everything really in the metagame that can counter Rhyperior is super-effectived by Megahorn or hit for hard damage by Stone Edge.

To boot, bulky water's ability to OHKO Rhyperior is seriously skewed if it just invests even 100 special defense EVs, it lets it survive a lot of things it couldn't before.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The common defensive spread only has 316 attack... even if you toss personality on there, it's "only" 347. That pretty much bounces on Suicune, who pretty much is going to do massive damage with Surf.

Earthquake from a 316 Rhyperior on a 404/317 Swampert does about 25-30%... Leftovers will close the gap, since Rhyperior will have to flee. Of course, this could be beneficial to supporting an allied CBtar. Defensive Manaphy can do about the same spread, and it has a bit more special attack. On the other hand, it has problems with Sandstorm.

Cresselia is a counter if it has Energy Ball, but a 266SAT Ice Beam doesn't even do 50%.

Anything with Grass Rope is a "counter", really. :]

Hill

ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day
is a Past WCoP Champion
Maybe defense oriented Flygon is a good counter, it has feather rest to recover from a possible Megahorn, is imunne to Earthquake and resists rock. Just watch out for Ice Fang Rhyperiors.

Even though, I'm not sure if flygon's Earthquake can take more than 50% of rhyperior

The common defensive spread only has 316 attack... even if you toss personality on there, it's "only" 347. That pretty much bounces on Suicune, who pretty much is going to do massive damage with Surf.

Earthquake from a 316 Rhyperior on a 404/317 Swampert does about 25-30%... Leftovers will close the gap, since Rhyperior will have to flee. Of course, this could be beneficial to supporting an allied CBtar. Defensive Manaphy can do about the same spread, and it has a bit more special attack. On the other hand, it has problems with Sandstorm.

Cresselia is a counter if it has Energy Ball, but a 266SAT Ice Beam doesn't even do 50%.

Anything with Grass Rope is a "counter", really. :]
The major Grass Rope / Energy Ball Pokemon in the game are either weak to Megahorn (Tangrowth, Uxie, Mesprit, Cresselia) or weak to Stone Edge (Togekiss). Earthquake covers Infernape too. A counter needs to be able to get in and Rhyperior just does too much damage to any of its counters on their switch-in, with the SOLE exclusion being a Sand Veil Gliscor (immune to EQ, resists Megahorn, and Stone Edge has a bad chance of hitting).

Edit: Flygon isn't good enough at taking Megahorn hits, and Land Power from 80 base SAtk isn't enough to do considerable damage to Rhyperior and keep it from just finishing you off. You could Feather Rest once you're in, but all it needs to do is Swords Dance and it can OHKO you then while Flygon fails to OHKO Rhyperior.

Edit #2: added the more offensive EV spread set to the first post. It seems to me that a defensive spread is scared off easily enough, but an offensive spread deals too much damage to Rhyperior's counters on their switch-ins.

Edit #3: damage calcs for that offensive Rhyperior spread are coming.

What the hell? This is just Rhydon with like +10 in all its base stats and a fancy trait that still gets crushed by any sort of water or grass attack.

You deal with Rhyperior the same way you've been dealing with Rhydon since RBY, only fighting attacks aren't so hot anymore (and they never really were when dealing with Rhydon).

Venusaur and Vileplume normal damage from all of Rhyperior's attacks except for maybe Ice Fang (which without stab is less powerful than an Earthquake), and both outspeed Rhyperior. And that's just grass/poisons. Bulky waters are still capable of outspeeding Rhyperior and if it switches, oh well! You're looking for a comprehensive counter to Rhyperior when it's just generally countered by the same things Rhydon was. Stop looking so hard.

Oh no it has ground and rock and bug attacks and now some fancy other moves as well like ice fang or ice punch! Aside from that and maybe rock cart, Rhyperior is essentially not that different from Rhydon. Not only that, but ass special defense is STILL ass special defense and you can still put a significant dent in it by exploiting that with your fancy new special-based moves like say, Luster Cannon or Dragon Pulse.

402 Atk Earthquake does 29.9% - 35.1% to max / max+ Suicune.
402 Atk Earthquake does 32.8% - 38.5% to 381 HP / max+ def Slowbro.
402 Atk Megahorn does 52.4% - 61.6% to 381 HP / max+ def Slowbro.
402 Atk Megahorn does 45.2% - 53.2% to max / max+ Tangrowth.

Um, no, this isn't just Rhydon version 2.0, Rhyperior's new ability means that physical attacks are epic fail against it and it does considerable damage to any switch-ins that can counter it. Suicune and Swampert are the best counters that are available since they're not super-effectived by anything, but they can hardly do anything besides scare it off to something that walls Suicune or Swampert.

Rhydon wasn't too hard to counter in advance, but with Stone Edge Rhyperior now has a vastly superior STAB to hit Earthquake-immune Pokemon and its new ability means that CB Dugtrio can't even manage to OHKO it (~50% with Earthquake). Sure special attacks are spiffy and all, but when it takes out everything that carries those attacks without too much trouble on switch-ins (Slowbro, Starmie, Tangrowth, and Infernape especially) and the fact that it doesn't need a Choice Band to do a shitload of damage I simply don't see how you can feel that Rhyperior is so easily taken care of.

Oh, and there's really only ONE thing in the entire game that should carry Luster Cannon, and that's Heatran. If you're crazy about options you could give Magnezone it too I suppose. Can you say 4x weak to Earthquake? Counters need to be able to switch in repeatedly.

What would suit him better passing him a sub or an agility so that it can sweep late game? I have been trying this out on Rhydon and its very hard to take down with either one.

What about Levitate Bronzong? Resists Stone Edge, EQ does no damage and Megahorn is normal. He can use Grass Rope or even Reflect. Hypnosis, Luster Cannon and Rest are there too.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong though

402 Atk Earthquake does 29.9% - 35.1% to max / max+ Suicune.
402 Atk Earthquake does 32.8% - 38.5% to 381 HP / max+ def Slowbro.
402 Atk Megahorn does 52.4% - 61.6% to 381 HP / max+ def Slowbro.
402 Atk Megahorn does 45.2% - 53.2% to max / max+ Tangrowth.

Um, no, this isn't just Rhydon version 2.0, Rhyperior's new ability means that physical attacks are epic fail against it and it does considerable damage to any switch-ins that can counter it. Suicune and Swampert are the best counters that are available since they're not super-effectived by anything, but they can hardly do anything besides scare it off to something that walls Suicune or Swampert.

Rhydon wasn't too hard to counter in advance, but with Stone Edge Rhyperior now has a vastly superior STAB to hit Earthquake-immune Pokemon and its new ability means that CB Dugtrio can't even manage to OHKO it (~50% with Earthquake). Sure special attacks are spiffy and all, but when it takes out everything that carries those attacks without too much trouble on switch-ins (Slowbro, Starmie, Tangrowth, and Infernape especially) and the fact that it doesn't need a Choice Band to do a shitload of damage I simply don't see how you can feel that Rhyperior is so easily taken care of.

Oh, and there's really only ONE thing in the entire game that should carry Luster Cannon, and that's Heatran. If you're crazy about options you could give Magnezone it too I suppose. Can you say 4x weak to Earthquake? Counters need to be able to switch in repeatedly.
So there's nothing to absolutely guarantee taking it down. Oh no.

So here's what you do.

Rhyperior comes in on whatever the hell it is you have out.

YOU HIT IT.

Is Rhyperior still alive? Yes? Are you alive? HIT IT AGAIN.

Are you dead? Probably. Is it swords danced up? Doesn't matter because Rhyperior is weakened and will now die to any sort of special attack and you don't have to worry about the attack coming on a switch-in because you're coming in off of a KO'd Pokemon.

Did they switch out? Okay, Rhyperior is now coming in next time with lower HP. YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING.

Yes, it was a sacrifice, but the point is that even though Rhyperior may not have a COMPREHENSIVE counter, it's not unstoppable because it is still slow as ass, is good at taking physical but not special hits, and Stone Edge is still an 80% accurate move. If you thought people got angry at Rock Slide, just wait till you see bitching about Stone Edge.

In conclusion, there's nothing that will absolutely scare off Rhyperior and take its hits like a man and have sex with tons of cheerleaders, but you can easily, EASILY plan a team so that Rhyperior doesn't have a pleasant time against the majority of your team.

So there's nothing to absolutely guarantee taking it down. Oh no.

So here's what you do.

Rhyperior comes in on whatever the hell it is you have out.

YOU HIT IT.

Is Rhyperior still alive? Yes? Are you alive? HIT IT AGAIN.

Are you dead? Probably. Is it swords danced up? Doesn't matter because Rhyperior is weakened and will now die to any sort of special attack and you don't have to worry about the attack coming on a switch-in because you're coming in off of a KO'd Pokemon.

Did they switch out? Okay, Rhyperior is now coming in next time with lower HP. YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING.

Yes, it was a sacrifice, but the point is that even though Rhyperior may not have a COMPREHENSIVE counter, it's not unstoppable because it is still slow as ass, is good at taking physical but not special hits, and Stone Edge is still an 80% accurate move. If you thought people got angry at Rock Slide, just wait till you see bitching about Stone Edge.

In conclusion, there's nothing that will absolutely scare off Rhyperior and take its hits like a man and have sex with tons of cheerleaders, but you can easily, EASILY plan a team so that Rhyperior doesn't have a pleasant time against the majority of your team.
We see things differently. You sacrificed your Pokemon to just deal some damage to my Rhyperior. That, to me, is of great benefit to me and not you. The mere fact that you need to sacrifice a Pokemon means that with hardly any prediction at all Rhyperior's killed something. All it takes is a Somersault Jirachi or some other Wishpasser on the team to ready Rhyperior for another killing.

And yeah, you could plan a team where Rhyperior doesn't have a ball, but the main things it doesn't like are STAB special grass / water moves, and at most you could manage with two waters and maybe one grass, and they all still don't like taking Rhyperior's attacks.

And yay, you can hit Rhyperior on switch-ins. It can come in on most any physical hit and take shit for damage and then beat the hell out of your switch-in. Having a Somersault / Wish / (Reflect / Light Screen) / Reminiscant Headbutt Jirachi only makes the situation worse for the opponent, because it makes Rhyperior take even less damage and allows for safe healing.

It seems to me as if other people don't quite see the threat this thing is. Jumpman's in agreement with me, Rhyperior is damn scary to take on.

It seems to me as if other people don't quite see the threat this thing is. Jumpman's in agreement with me, Rhyperior is damn scary to take on.
I don't think anyone's disputing that Rhyperior is very solid in OU and needs planning to get around. But you can't have it both ways, it's not like GSC where you can max all EVs. Sure, 404 ATK will dent lots of its water and grass counters, but that spread leaves it open to take 50%+ from Garchomp/Mamoswine EQ without CB even after hard rock, and similar numbers from Infernape and Heracross In Fight. The point is that you can't expect it to come into a physical hit without a scratch if you intend to invest EVs to counter its water and grass counters.

Many other things are also dangerous with screens and wish support too.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to get this out of the way now:

"A counter must be able to both switch in with little to no risk to itself and pose an immediate threat to the pokemon it's supposed to counter."

The reason this thing scares me so much is that it has 140 base attack, which by definition makes it a fine candidate for Choice Band. If "nothing counters CB Heracross", you could pretty much say the same thing about Rhyperior.

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake/Stone Edge on a 384HP/350Def (max/max) Slowbro: 50-59%
Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Megahorn on a 384HP/350Def (max/max) Slowbro: 80-94%

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake on a 401HP/297Def (near-max/near-max) Swampert: 57-67%

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake/Stone Edge on a 464HP/240Def (max/max) Vaporeon: 60-71%

When you consider that Rhyperior gets to 179 speed and can (and should if it's Choice Banded, in my opinion) outspeed all of those proposed "counters", you can start to see how few geniune counters there really are to this thing. Especially since Vaporeon and Slowbro's spreads leave for absolutely no SpA, which both need a bit of to OHKO min-HP/min-SpD Garchomp (Vappy needs 40 Spa EVs, Slowbro needs 120).

Now for stuff that outspeeds it:

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake/Stone Edge on a 304HP/206Def (~66%/min) Starmie: 108-126%
Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Megahorn on a 304HP/206Def (~66%/min) Starmie: 172-202%

Starmie's speed is its best defense against Infernape, hence the inability to add any actual Defense EVs when you also consider Infernape threatens a Schemed Grass Rope as well.

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake/Stone Edge on a 384HP/286Def: (near-max/near-max) Milotic: 64-75%

More manageable I suppose, but pretty much only because Milotic has Recover.

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Earthquake/Stone Edge on a 401HP/361Def (near-max/max) Suicune: 47-55%

Looks good on paper, but this leaves Suicune with like 219 SpA, which will never OHKO Garchomp, so this spread probably isn't nearly as realistic (or, if so, reliable) as it was in Advance.

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Megahorn on a 444HP/372Def Cresselia: 65-77%
Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Stone Edge on a 444HP/372Def Cresselia: 41-48%

Probably the best counter since it's guaranteed to be faster at minimum 206 Speed, is immune to EQ, has the option of Moonlight even in spite of a purported Sandstream-heavy metagame, and has a Grass Rope that will nearly OHKO Rhy's heavy ass even from its minimum 186 SpA.

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Stone Edge on an Impish 364HP/284Def (max/max) Flygon: 32-37%
Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Megahorn on an Impish 364HP/284Def (max/max) Flygon: 50-59%

Might be a better counter than Gliscor since both boast Feather Rest and an Earthquake immunity but Flygon has better base attack (100 vs 95).

Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Stone Edge on a 320HP/372Def (near-max) Weezing: 57-67%
Adamant, 416 Attack Rhyperior's Choice Banded Megahorn on a 320HP/372Def Weezing: 23-27%

Of mention because Weezing can realistically boast HP Ice for Garchomp already since it has an oft-overlooked 85 base Special Attack...you can even go HP Grass for a guaranteed 2HKO.

For completeness, here is what pokemon that matter can do to Rhyperior:

Jolly, 254 Attack Dugtrio's Choice Banded Earthquake on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 50-59%
Jolly, 254 Attack Dugtrio's Life Orbed Earthquake on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 44-51%

Revenge-killing at its best for Duggy unless it goes Adamant.

Bold, 220 SpA Weezing's Hidden Power Ice on a 372HP/146SpD (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 27-32%
Bold, 220 SpA Weezing's Hidden Power Grass on a 372HP/146SpD (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 55-65%

Would probably just go HP Ice for Garchomp since Grass doesn't OHKO and TB/FT/HP Ice/Pain Split is a fantastic Gyarados/Heracross/Garchomp counter all-in-one and you can Pain Split Rhyperior or whatever switches in to replace it.

Bold, 186 SpA Cresselia's Grass Rope on a 372HP/146SpD (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 79-93%

May not be worth it to give it many SpA EVs since this is a 4HP EV Rhy and people may choose to give theirs max HP.

Jolly, 339 Attack Weavile's Choice Banded Ice Punch on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 50-59%
Jolly, 339 Attack Weavile's Choice Banded Pursuit on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min), switching CB Rhyperior: 40-47%
Jolly, 339 Attack Weavile's Choice Banded Pursuit on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 20-24%

So Weavile can't really pose a threat heads up against Rhyperior until it's at around 50% HP (and it obviously can't switch in).

Adamant, 405 Attack Tyranitar's Choice Banded Earthquake on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 52-62%
Adamant, 405 Attack Tyranitar's Choice Banded Pursuit on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min), switching CB Rhyperior: 48-56%
Adamant, 405 Attack Tyranitar's Choice Banded Pursuit on a 372HP/296Def (4EVs/min) CB Rhyperior: 24-28%

Pretty much the same mindgame deal as with Weavile.

To wrap up, Skarmory isn't a Rhyperior counter cause it doesn't really pose a threat outside of Steel Wing, and Tangrowth is kinda iffy like Slowbro is thanks to its low initial speed. This is just the CB variant too, which poses enough of a threat in itself to make you forget about the Swords Dance one.

I've probably covered everything that's a considered switch into Rhyperior, even stuff that shouldn't be like Starmie and even Suicune to an extent. If this thing got Power Whip for some stupid reason it would be so broken lol

Oh and ADH don't bother editing your post with my calculations, people should really take the effort of scrolling down a little bit to read the thread!

Suicune, Milotic, Vaporeon, Swampert. Surf is the best attack in the game against something like this (well Grass Rope but only like Tangrowth can get in on it).

Though Rhypherior could possibly run a CB set and be like CBTar.

Rhypherior @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 158 Def / 100 HP or something like this
Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SAtk-)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Fire Fang/Dragon Dive/Snow Slide/Ice Fang/Arm Hammer

CB Rhypherior can deal immense amounts of damage, forcing counters to not be able to counter for very long. 140 base Attack is unbelievable. Mence/Gross is 135, Garchomp is 130, Tar/Nite is 134. Only Slaking (Truant) and Ramparados (poor defense and no Hard Rock) are higher.

EDIT: When I brought up the post window most of the posts weren't here.

Goodness CB Rhyperior seems awesome, I'll update the first post with a CB set. Methinks it would be...

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn
-Ice Fang

Earthquake and Stone Edge for STAB, Megahorn's a given too, and Ice Fang for Sand Veil Gliscor and dragons. With some solid Wish support from Togekiss / Jirachi this thing would truly be a bitch to take down since it just gets a recharge when it gets low on HP.

I'm going to get this out of the way now:

"A counter must be able to both switch in with little to no risk to itself and pose an immediate threat to the pokemon it's supposed to counter."
My point is simply this: Rhyperior has no comprehensive counter. Oh well!

Not everything has to be a Blissey or a Swampert defensively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)