Monotype Ice Team

Okay, so this is my first RMT so don't be mean!

I originally made this team for a monotype tourney in which you were allowed one "wildcard" that deviated from the rest. I chose Ice as my type because I love hail (and weather in general) and I love Ice type Pokémon, especially Froslass and Cloyster. I had so much fun with this team and did pretty well, so I decided I wanted to see how well it could do sort of as a challenge.

So it's going to be a pretty tricky challenge making this team work, and I'm hoping you guys have some good insight for me.

Here we go!

WhiteObama the Abomasnow @Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Nature: Sassy (+SpDef,-Speed)
Moves: Blizzard, Wood Hammer, Ice Shard, Light Screen

Abomasnow if pretty much a given on a hail team, right? His main gig is pretty much to set up the hail. He has decent Atk and SpAtk, and with a 100% accuracy guaranteed STAB blizzard he can usually dish out quite a bit of damage before going down. I gave him Light Screen because my team lacks special defense and he's usually bulky enough to set it up, and Ice Shard so he can dish out a bit of damage before going down to a faster opponent. Honestly though, he really doesn't do much beside set up hail. A lot of times I just let him stay in and die unless the other team has a Pokémon that can either set up too easily on him or change the weather. I think he has a lot of potential though, so if anyone has better moves for him I'd really appreciate it.

Whore the Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252Atk/252Spd/4SpDef
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Moves: Spikes, Ice Punch, Confuse Ray, Pain Split

She's just the most helpful little ho you've ever seen. Heehee, in all seriousness Froslass is an invaluable addition to the team. With confuse ray and snow cloak, she's tough to hit with fire blast and other lower accuracy moves, giving her plenty of time to set up spikes. Also, being an ice team, there are plenty of choice item users getting locked into fighting moves that give her a free switch in or layer of spikes. Her ghost typing is really a blessing for the team, helping them to deal with fighting types, fake out, vaccum wave, and mach punch users. She also blocks rapid spinners, though Starmie and Forretress still pose quite a threat to her. Focus Sash + Pain Split = Great damage and good recovery. Between Pain Split, confusion damage, and ice punch, Froslass is actually pretty capable of taking down even bulky water types, or at least getting them down enough for a revenge kill. Confusion can piss people off and gets them to switch, allowing myself a switch or to set up more spikes. And Ice Punch still does pretty good damage.

NotaVagina the Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252Atk/252Spd/4SpDef
Nature:Adamant (+Atk,-SpAtk)
Moves: Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Rapid Spin, Shell Smash

Cloyster is a really great team player. With excellent defense, rapid spin, and the ability to sweep an entire team, he is a real star on this team. Icicle Spear for some beastly Ice STAB, and Rock Blast for coverage. Between those moves, he actually fares well against steel types that should wall him and can do neutral damage to Heatran, Scizor, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. With each of the five attacks comes the opportunity to crit, and they break focus sashes. Shell smash for obvious reasons, and combined with focus sash even special attackers without priority are in trouble unless rocks are up. With his ice-typing though, he doesn't make for such a great rapid spinner as he can only switch in so many times before he's screwed. But generally Cloyster wins the battles, and the rest of the team finds a way to finish up anyone left over.

Mr. Bukkit the Walrein @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252Def/252HP/4SpAtk
Nature: Bold(+Def, -Atk)
Moves: Protect, Surf, Roar, Super Fang

Physically defensive Wall-rein. Not really too much to say about him. The obvious Ice Body recovery in hail with protect, roar to stop people from setting up on him and give spikes damage, super fang if he's forced to fight a wall. I really don't have much to say about him. He takes hits like a boss. He's my counter for Scizor since bullet punch is neutral thanks to the water typing, and due to Cloyster's low HP Scizor can often cut his sweep short with a bullet punch after I lower my defense with shell smash, especially if it's bulky. Swords Dance scizor can be roared away, and if Walrein has to fight he can super fang and surf for a decent chunk of damage. I wish he could learn scald though :( .

Big Mama the Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: Unfortunately I'm not sure here... I believe it's pretty crack-headed though. Mostly invested in attack, then I think pretty spread out between defense, SpDef, and HP.
Nature: Brave(+Atk, -Spd)
Moves: Ice Shard, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock

Big Mama's speed can really hurt, and I don't know why she isn't Adamant. Maybe I had just faced a trick room team when I made her? I don't know. But anyway, she's a powerhouse and can take a neutral hit or two. She rarely actually puts down stealth rocks as I normally need her to deal damage and she just doesn't have time. Occasionally I'll put them up when the opponent switches, but I usually go for an attack because Cloyster can be a gamble and I don't want to be forced into relying on him for my physical attacker. As long as freaking stone edge doesn't miss, she's a real beast and gets quite a few opportunities to switch in.

Ursula the Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpDef
Nature: Calm
Moves: Scald, Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Haze

*Just suggested to me, going to try her out*

Weaknesses/Threats:

None brought up that haven't been taken care of at the moment :)

Thanks for reading and hope you can help me out! I know it's a stretch trying to make this team work, but I think we can do it. :)

Use rapid spin tentacruel. It resists common weaknesses such as fire and fighting snd steel. Also takes out the annoying stealth rocks. And it can set up t-spikes so walrein has an easier time stalling.

Use rapid spin tentacruel. It resists common weaknesses such as fire and fighting snd steel. Also takes out the annoying stealth rocks. And it can set up t-spikes so walrein has an easier time stalling.
That's an awesome suggestion! Tentacruel does fit perfectly.

So would you say trade out Nidoking for Tentacruel?

Adamant is +Atk -SpAtk (See your Cloyster).

Personally I'd agree to take out Nidoking for Tentacruel. That way you can still use the team for monotypes. Plus hail tends to lend itself better to stall (my opinion) so tacking substitute over surf on your Walrein might make your battles go a little smoother. You can also get more out of Tentacruel's toxic spikes that way.

Adamant is +Atk -SpAtk (See your Cloyster).

Personally I'd agree to take out Nidoking for Tentacruel. That way you can still use the team for monotypes. Plus hail tends to lend itself better to stall (my opinion) so tacking substitute over surf on your Walrein might make your battles go a little smoother. You can also get more out of Tentacruel's toxic spikes that way.
Thanks for that :)

And yeah, I thought about going for sub on Walrein before, and now that I'll have Tentacruel's toxic spikes, it'll be more effective. Didn't do it before because I wasn't using someone with toxic.

The thread is called "Monotype Ice Team" yet you have a Nidoking? You should look into another Ice type. Maybe Weavile?

Bowoneshi, monotype teams are allowed one, "Wild Card" as Ms. Denbo said in her introduction.
Ms. Denbo, I like your team as far as monotype teams go but i would switch out Roar for toxic and Substitue for Surf on your WALLrein (See what I did there?) Once you have a sub up, you can toxic them, use super fang, then substitue when you predict they will attack, which is usually after two turns of setting up. Then with Leftovers+Ice Body, you get enough HP back to do this repetitvely and kill off their set-up sweeper.

Why does Froslass have ice punch?
Ice Beam has much better power, and Froslass needs all the power it can get.

The thread is called "Monotype Ice Team" yet you have a Nidoking? You should look into another Ice type. Maybe Weavile?
Way to read buddy ;)

Bowoneshi, monotype teams are allowed one, "Wild Card" as Ms. Denbo said in her introduction.
Ms. Denbo, I like your team as far as monotype teams go but i would switch out Roar for toxic and Substitue for Surf on your WALLrein (See what I did there?) Once you have a sub up, you can toxic them, use super fang, then substitue when you predict they will attack, which is usually after two turns of setting up. Then with Leftovers+Ice Body, you get enough HP back to do this repetitvely and kill off their set-up sweeper.
I like this idea (and I see what you did there), and originally I was going to run that exact set. It was just that I needed a way to deal with Pokémon like scizor and jirachi, and of toxic doesn't hurt them. So If figured I would roar for spikes damage and surf to finish them since I didn't have a reliable counter. Do you think that I would be able to handle those threats still while running that set on WALL-rein? Because I would like to do that.

Why does Froslass have ice punch?
Ice Beam has much better power, and Froslass needs all the power it can get.
I was originally going to run sucker punch or ice shard, so she was EV trained in attack, and I didn't feel like creating another one. It really isn't all that important though, as she isn't doing much fighting.

Use the classic stallrein instead of youre other set. sub+protect+ice body= 32 turns of stall. blizzard to hit anything you can OHKO, and roar for anything trying to set up.

Use the classic stallrein instead of youre other set. sub+protect+ice body= 32 turns of stall. blizzard to hit anything you can OHKO, and roar for anything trying to set up.
Already suggested, but thanks.

yea, the stall set on wallrein work nice. but if u dont want to use that, at least change surf to scald.
He doesn't learn scald.

I'd appreciate if you would read before you post guys.

Anyway...

Once I have a Tentacruel with rapid spin (with toxic spikes, scald, and haze or knock off?), do you think that Cloyster should lose his rapid spin for another attack? I was thinking Ice Shard maybe to stop priority attacks from ending his sweep prematurely, or razor shell for coverage. What do you think?

That's an awesome suggestion! Tentacruel does fit perfectly.

So would you say trade out Nidoking for Tentacruel?
If you are really making a 5+1 monotype team then nidoking is on its way out. Also, give your abomasnow focus blast because you don't have too many answers to ferrothorn.

All I have to say is this: Froslass needs Timid with Blizzard, OK? 120>75, as Froslass's Att and SpA are exactly the same. Greater Power, flawless accuracy (OK, so this doesn't matter as much), what's not to love?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)