#Neverused Showdown v2.0

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Credit to #Pokemon Cups for the Rules and Point System
User Keiran made the strong banner.
#Neverused Showdown 1

Introduction

The #Neverused Showdown is a series of daily tournaments designed to test players teambuilding and battling skills to the very limit. Not only that, but you will get the opportunity to face some of the best NU players outside of the standard ladder environment, enabling players to explore the NU metagame with a twist. The cups are not simply the standard NU metagame, each one will have a unique theme or teambuilding restriction, in order to test players and extend their knowledge beyond the standard ladder teams. These themes are meant to provide a bit of entertainment, so may not be entirely competitive i.e. "Players may not use any Pokemon whose names start with a letter in users name". The theme will be announced 20 minutes before the beginning of the tournament, forcing players to think on their feet and play with something creative. Records will be kept of who wins each tournament, and at the end of each month a winner will be declared, recieving bragging rights until they lose their title!

How to play

Be sure to get on IRC and to the #Neverused channel, where you can discuss the NU metagame at any time of day. This link will take you directly to #neverused. The tournaments will be held here daily; either 4 or 6 PM EST on weekdays, 10 PM EST on Saturday and 2 PM EST on Sundays, but this can vary due to real life commitments of the host or activity of the channel at that time. If the channel is very active, more than one tournament may happen in the same evening. The host will ask for participants at 5 PM, and once a suitable number has been attained the theme will be announced and teambuilding begins. Simply post "in" on IRC when the hosts asks to join in. Players will then have 20 minutes to build their team, then matchups will be announced by the host and the battles begin.

Rules

• The standard NU banlist will be in place unless otherwise specified in the theme for the tournament.
  • Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, and Timed Battle are all enforced unless otherwised specified in the theme.
  • Spectators should be allowed in all matches for the enjoyment of those not playing, everybody loves watching good matches! Despite this, scouting is not permittied so you should refrain from watching other battles if you are still in the tournament.
  • Stay active once signing up, you will be disqualified and possibly barred from joining future cups if you go afk without saying so.
Hosts

Django (+1)
Raseri (-5)
Keiran (+1)
Incon (-4)
shnen (+1)
Annoyer (-4)

Anyone else willing to host these tournaments on a regular basis should contact me either on the forums or IRC.

Leaderboard and Points

Points Breakdown:

• 32 Man 16/12/8 Man 6 Man 4 Man
  • 1st: 5 Points 4 Points 3 Points 2 Points
  • 2nd: 3 Points 2 Points 1 Point 1 Point
  • 3rd/4th: 2 Points 1 Point
The points added up at the end of the month, and an overall winner will be declared.

Leaderboard

FLCL - 9
Annoyer - 6
breh - 6
Django - 3
McMeghan - 2
Incon - 2
Luck - 2
EBeast - 2
Zebraiken - 2
Full2Half - 2
NewBreed - 1
Drakon136 - 1
VintageBooks - 1
Wobble - 1

FLCL - 29
Raseri - 20
MMF - 15
Zeb - 15
cbb - 10
DTC - 6
Demist - 5
Djangoo - 5
Omicron - 5
AlexArthur - 5
DestinyUnknown - 4
Incon - 3
thewolf - 2
Keiran - 2
VintageBooks - 2
Tribute - 2
Steamroll - 1
LuckOverSkill - 1
Molk - 1
Limi - 1
NatGeo - 1
Full2Half - 1
EBeast - 1
D4RR3N - 1

Also please don't clog this thread up with "wooo Showdowns". Do however post if you want to be a host, just mention your timezone in your post. The host will also constantly need new ideas for themes, so feel free to post and discuss any ideas you have for themes. This starts proper on the 1st September, so be ready.

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
(Tournament - Theme - Winner - Host)

Tournament 1 - Top 10 Pokemon Banned - FLCL - Django

Tournament 2 - Random Word Team - EBeast - Annoyer

Tournament 3 - STAB Moves Only - Annoyer - Django
FLCL vs NewBreed
Django vs Luck
breh vs Annoyer
McMeghan vs Zebraiken
amarillo vs Incon

Luck vs FLCL
Annoyer vs Zebraiken
Incon vs BYE

Luck vs Annoyer
Luck vs Incon
Incon vs Annoyer

Tournament 4 - Gen 4 Tier, Gen 5 Mechanics - breh - Django
drakon136 vs Shovel
Luck vs breh
NewBreed vs AlexArthur
Djangoo vs FLCL
Annoyer vs BYE
ebeast vs McMeghan

Annoyer vs McMeghan
NewBreed vs breh
Drakon136 vs Django

Django vs breh
Django vs McMeghan
breh vs McMeghan

Tournament 5 - 100 Base Stat Limit - FLCL - DTC
Round 1

Full2Half vs cypher
FLCL vs drakon
Wobble vs uxsee
VintageBooks vs Bye

Round 2

VintageBooks vs Full2Half
FLCL vs Wobble

Round 3

FLCL vs Full2Half

Django

There will be a showdown in a few hours, so join #neverused and get ready ~

Django

So we had the first Showdown today! The theme was: Top 10 Pokemon Banned. Without powerful walls in Alomomola and Amoonguss, as well as game changers like Gothitelle, what new threats would emerge?
FLCL ended up beating Annoyer in the final ~

In today's showdown, each person was assigned a word randomly and made a team with each letter being the first letter of each pokemon. Here are the words.
Annoyer - sudser
FLCL - Ablins
Ebeast - Ablaze
Zeb - Slypes
Breh - Lading
Audiosurfer - Pantry (had bad internet so could not play and no one else joined)

It was really fun and it was interesting how the three finalists had to play each other again. They were all unique teams and rain seemed to be constant in FLCL's team (heavy rain) and in Breh's team (A Baton Pass team designated to get Ludicolo a sweep). Dingle told me to be host. Here are my own brackets (LO!L) because challonge doesn't work apparently for 6 people. Here is the log of the finals.
Ebeast beat Breh in the finals (since FLCL quit after losing to Breh the second time).

Ebeast -2 points (4 is not an unlucky number!!!)
Breh - 1 point (Smart person)
(FLCL - 0 points weak for quitting)

I have to give a big thanks to Breh for helping me with things such as the match-ups and the words. Props to FLCL for picking the cool theme (FLCL cup is weak).

Make me a permanent host (GMT -5). It's more fun than I thought and I like making my own brackets. I hope my comments on each match gave deep insight to what happened. ;)

Django

Woooo another Showdown. In a continuing trend that sees me re-using last showdowns themes, todays theme was STAB Moves Only. Rapid Spin was the one exception to the rule, to balance Stealth Rock slightly. This rule extended to all support moves, leading to a number of interesting sets and strategies, as well as Pokemon like Sawk not being able to rely on coverage moves, while others such as Alomomola become practically useless. We got 12 entrants today which is cool.

FLCL vs NewBreed
Django vs Luck
breh vs Annoyer
McMeghan vs Zebraiken
amarillo vs Incon

Luck vs FLCL
Annoyer vs Zebraiken
Incon vs BYE

Luck vs Annoyer
Luck vs Incon
Incon vs Annoyer

Incon - 2
Luck - 2
Zebraiken - 1
FLCL - 1

And a log of the final!

Django

Today we used one of my favorite themes, where we take the Gen 4 tier list and allow any and all Gen 5 mechanics. This means stuff like DrizzleToed, DroughtTales and SmashPass were all allowed, making for some really interesting matches. 12 entrants again! Breh won with a Rain team in the finals, defeating two similar Sun teams in some really interesting matches. All 3 finals teams also had Espeon.

drakon136 vs Shovel
Luck vs breh
NewBreed vs AlexArthur
Djangoo vs FLCL
Annoyer vs BYE
ebeast vs McMeghan

Annoyer vs McMeghan
NewBreed vs breh
Drakon136 vs Django

Django vs breh
Django vs McMeghan
breh vs McMeghan

Django - 3
McMeghan - 2
NewBreed - 1
drakon136 - 1

Here is the log of the deciding match between myself and breh.

breh

強いだね
Shedinja proved rather useful in a surprisingly large portion of my matches. Even against McMeghan's sun, the mindgames it allowed were pretty fantastic. Something about Espeon + Shedinja was really fun.

Django

Sorry I haven't got round to hosting these the past two nights, but I've been extremely busy. If any new hosts (or people currently signed up) get a chance to host a showdown the next few nights, please do so! It would be a huge help.

We had a NU showdown today. The theme was no Pokemon who had base stats over 100 allowed. Pokemon could have base 100 stats, but not more than that.

The games were pretty interesting. Ludicolo, Klang, Piloswine, and Misdreavus were pretty common. Most of the teams were pretty unprepared for Linoone, which was lucky for FLCL.

FLCL's team
Full2Half's team
Battle Log

Round 1

Full2Half vs cypher
FLCL vs drakon
Wobble vs uxsee
VintageBooks vs Bye

Round 2

VintageBooks vs Full2Half
FLCL vs Wobble

Round 3

FLCL vs Full2Half

Full2Half - 2
VintageBooks - 1
Wobble - 1

1. Turn 9
  2. Grody Gear used Gear Grind!
  3. The attack of Grody Gear missed!
  4. The foe's Misdreavus used Thunderbolt!
  5. Grody Gear lost 31% of its health!
  6. Grody Gear fainted!
@_@

1. Turn 18
  2. Uberpa used Shadow Ball!
  3. The foe's Piloswine lost 49% of its health!
  4. The foe's Piloswine used Icicle Spear!
  5. Uberpa lost 15% of its health!
  6. A critical hit! Uberpa lost 25% of its health!
  7. Hit 2 time(s)!
@_____@

I'm butthurt and proud of it. Fooly is an UberHax0r, gg nonetheless, your team was well built and i completely forgot piloswine in my teambuilding somehow.

Also, I wouldnt mind helping host these, just saying. :)

Yay, more showdowns. Today, the theme was that players could only use 4 mons. This led to short matches and creative themes such as Trick Room or Dual Screens ( sorry about the stupid bs crit DTC :( ). There were also teams of just normal offense such as ebeast's and my team (great minds think alike!). There weren't many defensive pokemon on any of the teams since it would be hard to cover so many threats with 4 pokemon so offense allowed you to bulldoze through threats. Only 5 players joined so one BYE was allowed. Come on people, come on IRC and join! For Dingle - (Tournament 6 - 4 Mons - Annoyer - Annoyer). Here are the amazing brackets by yours truly.

Annoyer (the best obv) - 3 points
Raseri (Rasexi) - 1 point
ebeast (ebreast) - 1 point

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Like always great brackets, Annoyer.

Very fun showdown, though was a little bit disappointed with Scarf Haunt's damage output against Sawk in the finals. (I guess this is why I use SubDisable, eh)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)