The Not So Trick Room - Trick Room Team

This is the first team I have put up on here to be rated. I have been doing pretty well with this team, but I'm relatively new to competitive Pokemon; so I probably over looked a fair few things. This team is meant to be a trick room team that is also capable of operating outside of trick room. I found through prior attempts that the problem with most trick room teams is that once trick room is done or the trick room setter is KO'ed the sweepers are too slow to do anything. Also, trick room teams are usually weak to dark type attacks; so this team is meant to fix both of those issues while checking common weather threats.​

The Team

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Brave Nature(+Atk, -Spe); 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moveset:
1. Stealth Rocks
2. Iron Head
3. Fire Punch
4. Trick Room

My idea behind this Jirachi was to use it as a lead in most cases. The first job is to set up Stealth Rocks and then if possible Trick Room to let me switch into either Conkeldurr or Heatran. I gave it STAB Iron Head to take advantage of Serence Grace and cause flinching to prevent the other team from setting up. I originally wanted to throw on Thunder Wave to spread around paralysis, but decided to have a Jirachi that can handle Steel, Ice and Grass-types would be helpfully in keeping the pace of the game in my favor.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Guts
Naughty Nature(+Atk, -SpD); 136 HP, 252 Atk, 120 Spe
Moveset:
1. Mach Punch
2. Hammer Arm
3. Ice Punch
4. Facade

This is meant to be my physical sweeper on the team. I know putting 120 EV's in speed seems counter-inuitive to using a trick room team, but I found that putting those EV's in defense or special defense left it too slow outside of trick room. I also realize Adamant nature would probably be better for Conkeldurr, but I really just enjoy having a naughty Conkeldurr and the difference is negligible as far as I can tell. I also thought about opting for a sub-focus punch Conkeldurr, but in practice this never seemed to workout for me so I decided to go with a more conventional set of moves. Ice punch is there to deal with common dragon threats like Dragonite, Salamance, Haxorus, etc. I'm sure facade is probably a replaceable move I just cannot decide what to put in its place.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Multiscale
Quiet Nautre(+SpA, -Spe); 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 SpA
Moveset:
1. Draco Meteor
2. Flamethrower
3. Extreme Speed
4. Superpower

First off, this is my favorite Pokemon of all time and almost always finds a spot on a team I create. Here it is meant to serve as a mixed sweeper and a wall breaker. Flamethrower and Superpower give it excellent opportunity to break through Ferrothorn, Forretress, Blissey, Skarmory and Amoongus. So far, the only trouble I have had is against Heatran and Jellicent, but those are handled by my other Pokemon. Life orb + STAB boosted Draco Meteor doesn't need any justification really. Extreme Speed was thrown in there to be able to finish off low-health sweepers and punish revenge killers. The decrease in speed is helpful for when I have trick room up and outside of trick room still provides with enough speed so that Dragonite isn't crippled. I really cannot say enough about how good Dragonite is.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Strom Drain
Quiet Nature(+SpA, -Spe); 124 HP, 252 SpA, 132 SpD
Moveset:
1. Surf
2. HP Grass
3. Earth Power
4. Recover

Gastrodon is on here to provide a check against the ridiculously popular rain teams in the OU metagame. I originally opted for a Tentacruel with rain dish, but it had huge struggles against Rotom-W and couldn't check foes like Starmie. Gastrodon will render Rotom-W almost useless unless it has HP Grass and can 2HKO Politoed most of the time. It also provides a pretty good check against sunny day and sandstorm teams with a strong STAB Surf and STAB Earth Power.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid nature(+Spe, -SpA); 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Moveset:
1. Shadow Ball
2. Focus Blast
3. HP Fire
4. Protect

Gengar serves as my late-game sweeper or a check to rapid spinners. I was going to go for a more physical late game sweeper like Lucario, Terrakion, Gyarados or Salamance. I immediately crossed Salamance off the list because then I would have two Pokemon with a 4x weakness to ice moves. I stayed away from Terrakion and Lucario because I already had a fighting-type and two Pokemon with steel in their typing. I ended up opting for Gengar just because of its amazing base speed and special attack. I would have chosen Alakazam, but he wouldn't have served the added purpose of being a rapid spin blocker.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
Modest nature(+SpA, -Atk); 128 HP, 128 Def, 252 SpA
Moveset:
1. Flamethrower
2. Earth Power
3. HP Ice
4. Dark Pulse

Heatran is on the team to provide a check, mainly, against sun teams who would otherwise give this team an extremely hard time; also Heatran is hell for the very rare hail based teams. My original thought was to be able to use it in case Dragonite was not able to break through popular walls like Ferrothorn or Forretress. Much like Dragonite, Heatran is just a very strong and versatile Pokemon that didn't have any trouble finding a spot on this team.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also a little skeptical myself of whether or not this is even a trick room team. It works very well with trick room up and I wanted it to not appear to be a trick room team until I actually used the move.

O let's get to it. Firstly I would like to say well done for using trick room in ou, its not easy but well done for trying it. I have tried the same thing so please have a look at my team with sand, it may help you out.

Firstly jirachi, I tried it when I first had trick room but it seems so outclassed by bronzong. More specifically offensive bronzong. He has much higher defences and more suited for trick room then jirachi, althought the one downside of using him is that its a dead give-a-way that your running trick room.
The set I would recommend should comprise of trick room, gyro ball, earthquake, stealth rock. With a brave nature and max attack and HP Ev's, the choice of item should either be macho brace or mental herb. The reasons being steel and ice types aren't a problem with both gyro ball and earthquake and although skarmory will be problem it will be problem for your jirachi anyway. And gyro ball will hit breloom and celebii, the only noticeable grass types for decent damage, although ferrothron will be a problem but with heatran eh.

Also on conkeldurr have toxic orb over flame. The reason being whilst trick room is up you actually take less damage from toxic over the three turns whilst it is up. Wilst on conkeldurr you may want to try a bulk up set looking at your team it may come in handy and and possible sweep.

Interesting team! This'll be short, but anyway, Taunt absolutely ruins your strategy with Jirachi and since you have only one TR setter, half the time, you'll have to play outside Trick Room. It might a be a good idea to replace Jirachi's item to Mental Herb (weird suggestion, I know), although that kind of hampers its survivability. I'm not really a big fan of that Dragonite as it is very slow outside Trick Room and generally looks outclassed by Salamence to me at least (except maybe for the surprise value). Also, could you explain your Heatran's EVs? The speed EVs on Conkeldurr seem unnecessary as Conkeldurr is incredibly slow and outspeeds practically nothing even at max speed. The Naughty nature means that it won't survive weak neutral attacks like random Scalds which it would with a Brave/Adamant nature.

Anyway, I won't try changing too much - the changes I'm recommending are:

For Conkeldurr, try running a spread of 128 HP/252 Atk/128 SpD with a Brave nature (+Atk, -Spe) and 0 Speed IVs. I'd also suggest using Drain Punch > Hammer Arm so that Conkeldurr survives longer.

For Jirachi, try running Magic Herb over Leftovers and possibly U-turn > Stealth Rock to maintain momentum and guarantee setting up TR.

Heatran should probably run Fire Blast > Flamethrower and Stealth Rock > Dark Pulse. A supereffective Dark Pulse is as powerful as a neutral Fire Blast. Also, in general, you should run 252 HP if you want to invest in overall bulk. Unfortunately, both normally and in TR, Modest 0 Spe Heatran will be outrun quite easily.

Reuniclus works wonderfully with Conkeldurr, but I don't see anything obvious to replace with it. It can also act as a secondary TR setter for your team In any case, should you wish to try it out, the set is:

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Def
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Anyway, have fun playing with this team! I'll probably update my rate later.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey there! I got the request. This is a well done Trick Room team, something hard to accomplish in OU nowadays, but devastating when it works. The above raters have already covered some problems, so this will be a shorter rate. First of all, a quick look through the team shows you only have 1 Trick Room setter. That is not good, because your team depends on Trick Room, and if Jirachi is removed, your team has essentially lost. Now for Jirachi itself, I back Mental Herb > Leftovers. This will allow you to live through Taunt and set up Trick Room easily. I then also back U-turn > Stealth Rock. Rarely in this fast paced OU will you have two free set-up turns, while U-turn can do one of two things: bring in a sweeper while taking damage, or just putting pressure on the opponent by switching out while scouting, and not wasting a turn of Trick Room.

Conkeldurr is a top class Trick Room threat, and hurts like hell. I question the use of your EVs and Nature, so I suggest running a different EV spread: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD with an Adamant nature. I suggest Adamant nature so you can outspeed other Conkeldurr out of Trick Room, which is potentially important, while it is already extremely slow without Brave nature. Drain Punch should also get the nod over Hammer Arm due to valuable recovery while still hitting hard.

Now, looking at Dragonite, I have a proposal to make. I know you like Dragonite, but Trick Room teams have a huge problem once Trick Room goes down, and they need a Choice Scarfer to deal damage and clean up late game, something Gengar cannot do very efficiently. The pokemon I suggest here is Choice Scarf Salamence over it. Scarf Salamence is one of the premier late game cleaners, and snowballs KOs into clean sweeps with Moxie. The set is as follows:

Salamence @Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

This set easily cleans up the remains of weakened teams after you have rampaged through them with your Trick Room attackers like Conkeldurr, while also lessening your reliance on Trick Room in general.

Gengar is slightly odd here, though being a wonderful threat. Now that you have a top notch revenge killer in Salamence, and you are in desperate need of a secondary Trick Room setter, I back the previous proposal of Reuniclus:

Reuniclus @Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Def
Nature: Quiet
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

This pokemon pairs well with Conkeldurr, sets up Trick Room reliably, and is a deadly special attacker in general.

Your final team member is Heatran, which I approve of as a Sun and Hail counter. However, I have issues with the set you are running. Since Dragonite has been replaced, you lack a wall breaker to accomplish the jobs your Dragonite did. Also, Heatran has 130 base SpA with access to Eruption, a Fire type Water Spout, albeit with a Quiet nature only. Since you have a Trick Room team, you have the unique ability to abuse this. I recommend trying out the Choice Specs set with Eruption. It hits extremely hard, and smashes even stuff that resist it. Sun boosts its power even higher, allowing you to wreck it easily. The set I propose is this:

Heatran @Choice Specs
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Nature: Quiet
-Eruption
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice

Overall, this is an extremely cool team, and I hope I helped! Good luck with it!

Tl;dr
Mental Herb > Leftovers andU-turn > Stealth Rock on Jirachi
Drain Punch > Hammer Arm and new EV spread on Conkeldurr
Scarf Salamence > Dragonite
TR Reuniclus > Gengar
Specs Heatran > your Heatran set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)