The Crime at Christmas Time - A warstory

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Background Information

This warstory took place in the tournament labelled "Stantler and Delibird are Coming to Town!" and it was an UU/BL tournament where only 1 BL was allowed and the other 5 members of the team had to be UU. The tiers were different back then.

This was my first time ever being in a tournament in D/P, and it was my first time ever being in an UU/BL match in D/P was well. I mean, I've used the little guys in OU before, but never in their own tier, so I did not know what to expect.

There were several pokemon that appeared that I simply did not know what to do against, and I was nervous as hell. This match proved to be one of the greatest matches of all time that I have ever had, and was definitely full of surprises.

This match is over 5 months old, so pokemon was much harder for me back then since I didn't have as much experience. However, I just used my favourite UU/BL pokemon all in one team, and just gave it a shot.

Notes

There will be very little log in this warstory, and a lot of comments. Needless to say, this means that you need to read the comments to know a lot of what is going on, because I am only putting snippets of the log. This is extremely long, so beware.

I feel that including the whole log and having a small comment per turn is extremely boring, and thus, I do not feel like doing that in this story, because this match does not deserve to be called boring. I also feel that it makes people likely to just skip over the comments and read the log parts, but this way people are forced to read the comments if they want to know what's happening, which in turn means more intelligent replies.

Essentially, if you do not read the comments, the parts of the log that I left in will not make sense. If you're not going to read the comments that I took several hours of my time to write, then do not post in this thread, plain and simple, I don't want to sound harsh, but please, I want a warstory thread that people will remember not just for the warstory, but for the comments following too. :]

I am not colouring the text or anything, and I will not bother to edit it even if you ask me to, so please refrain from that, because I feel colouring the story makes it look hideous.

The warstory will be divided into several little scenarios, each given their own title. This makes it easier to read and actually envision what was happening in that particular scenario because of the focus allowed on it, instead of everything in one big jumble.

Warstory

It was a night packed full of Christmas shopping for little Shuckie y su familia.
There was nothing left to do but wait for Mr. Santa.
Headed home with eyes so bright, Shuckie expected a silent night.
However, the family saw that, in plain sight, something was just not right.

Mr. Santa being mugged is what they all saw, a vicious, awful, violation of the law. The family was quick to act, to protect the jolly man's existence, however, the law-breakers were not about to go down without a heap of resistance....

Rules: OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Timed Battle

quinnydinny (no particular order)

bologo (no particular order)

------------------------------------------------------
It's a Knock Off!

6-6 For Santa!

quinnydinny sent out Crobat.
bologo sent out Shuckle.

- Crobat used Taunt.
Shuckle fell for the taunt!
Shuckle used Stealth Rock.
Shuckle can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

Alright, so the match starts off with Crobat vs. Shuckle. Interesting, since this is my first time ever seeing a Crobat in play before. Since this is my first time seeing a Crobat, and I'm literally shaking like it's -30 degrees C outside, I fuddle my first turn by Stealth Rocking, only to have it nullified by Crobat's Taunt.

I really didn't know what was going to happen in this match, because this was my first time playing a pure UU/BL match, nonetheless in a tournament.

Anyway, quinnydinny decided to use U-Turn on Shuckle to switch out to Flygon. The U-Turn happened to be a critical hit so it took about 17% off of Shuckle's health. My opponent switched in Flygon only for it to get its item knocked off, which helped me greatly.

Here's a little snippet to show what happened as Flygon came in:

quinnydinny switched in Flygon.
- Shuckle used Knock Off.
Shuckle knocked off foe Flygon's Life Orb!
Flygon lost 2% of its health.

End result

Shuckle: 89%
Flygon: 98%
Crobat: 100%

Applause at Incorrect Times Gives Haymaker to Face

Ok, so Flygon switched out when I brought in my Clefable from Shuckle, because Flygon is afraid of Ice Beam, which Clefable generally always has. quinnydinny made quite a good switch to Aggron which would soak up the Ice Beam, however, I predicted the switch and used Wish.

This was my first time ever facing an Aggron before, so I did not know what to expect. I decided to Encore, but unfortunately, my inexperience led me to forgetting Aggron's 50 base speed compared to Clefable's 60 base, which caused my Encore to fail. I wrongly thought that with my -spd nature, I'd be slower than Aggron, but no dice. Clefable is fine though, because my Wish activated on that turn. Aggron used Brick Break that turn which stripped off a nice 57% of my health, but Wish brought back 50% to make the total damage for that turn a mere 7%.

I had a feeling that Aggron was going to Brick Break again, so I decided to give Rotom some time to shine and take the haymaker through the transparent body.

Here are the important parts of that scenario that I just explained:

bologo switched in Clefable.
- Flygon used Stone Edge.
Clefable lost 29% of its health.

quinnydinny switched in Aggron.

bologo switched in Rotom.
Aggron used Brick Break.
It doesn't affect Rotom...

End result

Flygon: 100%
Clefable: 64%
Aggron: 100%
Rotom: 100%

Tricks and Mind Games

The next scenario is Rotom vs. a Cacturne. Rotom performs Trick as Cacturne comes in, which gives it a Choice Scarf, and keep in mind that this is probably the best item I could Trick onto it because it can go mixed, so giving it Band or Specs would allow it the advantage.

I have faced a Cacturne before, thankfully, so I know that it's going to try and Sucker Punch me. I know this will happen, so I use Thunder Wave with Rotom to nullify Choice Scarf and still lower its speed by an extra 25%.

Alright, so Rotom's job is now done, so Clefable comes in for another shot. Cacturne tries Sucker Punch again, but can't get it to work because Clefable is switching in.

Unfortunately, what happens next is that big bad Aggron comes back in, and the exact same scenario that happened before with Clefable and Aggron happened again with the Encore failure mistake, except Clefable got hit by Stone Edge this time for 54%. My nerves are seriously getting the most of me at this point, and this isn't even anywhere near the climax, I'm still shaking and tense like crazy in this scenario...I did get back 50% though thanks to my Wish, so I'm happy there.

I can tell that Aggron's going to try Brick Breaking again, so I decide to get Clefable the hell out of there and switch over to Rotom to take the incoming attack. I do admire quinnydinny's trickiness here with using Stone Edge first though. Mind games are my favourite type, heh.

The important parts of this scenario are:

quinnydinny switched in Cacturne.
- Rotom used Trick.
Rotom obtained Leftovers!
Cacturne obtained Choice Scarf!

- Rotom used Thunder Wave.
Cacturne is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

- Clefable used Wish.
- Aggron used Stone Edge.
Clefable lost 54% of its health.
Clefable restored 50% of its health.

bologo switched in Rotom
Aggron used Brick Break.

End result

Clefable: 60%
Aggron: 100%
Cacturne: 100%

Stoner

This confrontation is an unfortunate one since it brings me into the hole. What happens here is that, first off, I decide to switch Rotom out after Flygon comes in to take the Thunder Wave that I was planting for him. I want Rotom to stay fresh because he's very important to my team for paralysis and his immunities. To leave him in against a Flygon which most likely has Draco Meteor is not a good idea in my mind, though I haven't seen his whole moveset at this point, so I switched him out just in case.

I switched Shuckle in to Encore whatever move Flygon was going to pull, because unfortunately, I forgot to pack a Rock resist in my team, and Shuckle is the only one who can handle Flygon right now, or at least that's what I felt. In hindsight, if I wasn't so nervous, I would have switched in Blastoise in this scenario, but oh well, live and learn.

Ok, so I took a Dragon Claw on the way in for 18%, so that's not bad, but then I Encore a Stone Edge. I decided to try and take the hard way out and stall Flygon, so I decided to Rest and take Stone Edges. I took 3 hits from Stone Edge, but luckily the 4 attempt missed. I don't know why I was doing what I was doing at the time, but I was. One tip for tournament matches is to breathe. I was not taking deep breaths and I was paying for it. Anyway, I wasted about 4 PP of his Stone Edge from my Resting time, so I like that.

What happens next just made me mad, because I could have done this so much better by switching in Blastoise even though he doesn't have Ice Beam. I decided to switch in Clefable who took a Stone Edge, because I could have sworn with my calculations that he would be able to survive with at least 1%, but unfortunately, I got near maximum damage from Stone Edge dealt to me, so I couldn't Ice Beam in time. Well, I learned from my mistake and I'm never doing that again.

Luckily, he only has 1 PP of Stone Edge left for Flygon, so he cannot put that to waste anymore, because it may prove very important.

To sum up this scenario:

- Rotom used Thunder Wave.

bologo switched in Shuckle.
- Flygon used Dragon Claw.
Shuckle lost 18% of its health.

- Shuckle used Encore.
Flygon got an encore!

- Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 81% of its health.
Shuckle lost 29% of its health.

Clefable lost 33% of its health.
Clefable lost 26% of its health.

**** bologo's Clefable fainted. ****

End result

Shuckle: 71%
Clefable: 0%

5-6 quinnydinny

Flip-Flop

This next matchup is completely different than the others, and new members of each team finally start getting revealed. This match is going extremely poorly for me at this point, and the most damage I've dealt to any member is 2%, however damage gets dealt here a little bit, but it unfortunately doesn't last long.

First, my Blastoise wants in on some of the action, so I give him a shot with a free switch-in after Clefable's knockout, and he Yawns the incoming Lapras. Now, a big problem arises here, and that is Blastoise having Surf as his only attacking move, and Lapras having Water Absorb. I know Lapras is going to fall asleep and I don't want to ruin my special surprise for his team, so I bring out Bibarel.

I knew that Bibarel could take a Thunderbolt pretty well, and he took 54% from it, so that wasn't terrible considering that Lapras fell asleep the next turn. Now, I'm gaining my health back steadily through Leftovers recovery, and I chip off a nice 50% from Lapras with Super Fang, but unfortunately, Lapras has Sleep Talk which makes it very dangerous for Bibarel to stay in. I need to switch him the hell out of there, because he hasn't done much, and I don't want him pulling any stuff like Clefable did.

I switched in Rotom to land a possible Thunderbolt since Lapras was pretty hurt. Oddly enough, Lapras used Sleep Talk 2 times in this scenario and it failed both times out of sheer chance, once from choosing Rest while still asleep, and one from waking up and using Sleep Talk. Anyways, I wanted to try Thunderbolt, but then I remembered Flygon who was still alive, so Rotom Shadow Balled instead when Flygon came in to take the Thunderbolt.

This time I had some common sense and decided to switch Blastoise in to Yawn Flygon, but that Flygon pulled a double whammie on me. First, he Roosted off all the damage I just did with Shadow Ball as Blastoise came in, and then he switched out to Lapras to take the Yawn.

With Lapras taking the Yawn, I knew that quinnydinny had learned his lesson from the first time, and it's common sense that, unless choiced, Sleep Talk almost always comes packaged with Rest. That Lapras didn't do nearly enough damage to Bibarel with Thunderbolt to be choiced, so it was definitely packing Rest and Sleep Talk. Lapras Rested before the Yawn could take its toll, to allow for a controlled sleep and to take away any damage dealt on it as I switched Rotom to try Thunderbolt again.

Here's your summary:

bologo switched in Blastoise.
quinnydinny switched in Lapras.
- Blastoise used Yawn.

bologo switched in Bibarel.
- Lapras used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Bibarel lost 54% of its health.
Lapras fell asleep!

- Flygon used Roost.
Flygon restored 39% of its health.

- Blastoise used Yawn.
Lapras became drowsy!

- Lapras used Rest.
Lapras fell asleep!

End result

Lapras: 100%
Bibarel: 64%
Blastoise: 100%

Eye of the Hurricane

Ok, I'm going to stop this scenario at a rather vague point. The reason I'm doing this is because it's the point right before this story begins to get extremely tragic.

For this, I can at least safely say that I was not alone when I was experiencing nerves during this total reckless battle so close to Christmas. An unfortunate incident happened for quinnydinny when he switched in Cacturne and Substituted, forgetting about the Choice Scarf embedded on Cacturne's shoulders, which meant that he costed himself 25% health for nothing. Poor guy, I feel for him, but this seemed like the perfect opening for me to get my first kill.

Bibarel was switched in as Cacturne substituted, because I had a really big feeling that my opponent was going to forget about Choice Scarf considering how early the Trick happened in the battle. I knew I was risking Bibarel quite handily considering that most Cacturnes carry Focus Punch, but it was a case of risk/reward mind games, I took the risk and I got the reward, which was a sweet Super Fang to whatever decided to switch in.

The switch-in was Lapras, who received a nice 50% stripping, and then a 28% health strip due to it still being asleep and Sleep Talk failing again. Everything appears to be going perfectly fine, I think I may get my first kill, I'm so excited at this point, the battle's been going so awful for me so far, maybe it can pick up.

The snippet of the scenario is as follows:

quinnydinny switched in Cacturne.
- Rotom used Shadow Ball.
It's not very effective...
Cacturne lost 21% of its health.

bologo switched in Bibarel.

- Bibarel used Super Fang.
Lapras lost 50% of its health.

- Bibarel used Super Fang.
Lapras lost 28% of its health.
Lapras is fast asleep!
Lapras used Sleep Talk.
Lapras used Rest.
But it failed!

End result

Lapras: 34%
Bibarel: 94%
Cacturne: 54%

The Wintertime Toll

See, now this is where the story starts depressing, and it's basically the crisis point in the story. What happens is that I use Return to bring Lapras down to 17%, and 1 more Return in the following turn should finish the thing off, cool right? No, not really, because on the turn that I delivered the first turn, Bibarel had to go and get frozen, and it probably didn't help that it was cold as a frozen-over hell in my basement where I was playing this match to make it even more ironic.

It's kind of sad that the freeze had to come from a Sleep Talked Ice Beam, since Sleep Talk was failing every single time before this. I suppose I got the sweet remeption from quinnydinny that I deserved for all of those fails. I thought I still had a chance since Bibarel only took 19% from Ice Beam, and he did still have a chance, if he would get defrosted, but it didn't happen.

I kept on trying, because right now, Bibarel's my big chance for finishing off Lapras, but it doesn't work. I get frozen for 7 turns in total, which included Lapras getting all of its health back, a crapload of Sleep Talk fails, and Bibarel getting annhiliated by 2 swift Thunderbolts when they eventually did work.

Honestly, you can't blame me for trying, how was I supposed to know that the little moron was going to be frozen for 7 turns? I thought Bibarel would get at least a couple more Super Fangs in during the 7 turns, but I guess you can't win them all...I'm surprised he lasted THAT long against something with Thunderbolt anyway.

The turns that deserve any highlights are:

- Bibarel was frozen solid! (x7)

Lapras woke up!
- Lapras used Rest.
Lapras fell asleep!
Lapras restored 82% of its health.

Bibarel is frozen solid!
It's super effective!
Bibarel lost 41% of its health.

**** bologo's Bibarel fainted. ****

End result

Bibarel: 0%

4-6 quinnydinny

Sympathetic Nerve Amplification

Wow, so after that unpleasant freeze, I was getting so tense that I started playing terribly. Seriously, I felt the same as if I'd just heard the burglar alarm in my house, and I'm unbelievably afraid of any kind of alarm, seriously, I will go insane whenever they go off. Anyways, this led me to making an awful mistake of trying to come in on the revenge and trying to Thunderbolt Lapras.

That was an extremely stupid move now that I look at this battle again, because first of all, it wouldn't even come close to killing Lapras, and even if it did, Lapras could just Rest again. Then there's also the factor of Flygon still being alive. It was the second factor that came into play, as Flygon switched into the Thunderbolt.

I went to Blastoise to take that final Stone Edge PP. I had a good feeling that Flygon would Stone Edge, because Shuckle has had a history of switching into Flygon, and in my mind, Flygon needs to get rid of Shuckle by all means possible, because it can cause a ton of trouble for him. Blastoise only took a piddling 25% from Stone Edge, so he was fine, but for some idiotic reason I decided to Surf, forgetting about that blasted Lapras.

Whatever, Lapras absorbed the Surf, and then Thunderbolted me for 33%, but Blastoise Yawned right in its face, and it can't Rest, being at 100% health, so it's got to attack or switch, because it's falling asleep next turn if it doesn't switch. I'd imagine it's going to stay in and just take the sleep since it seems like the status absorber for the team anyway. Man, I need to stop making such stupid moves and suck up my nerves. My sympathetic nerves are going crazy in this match, why can't my parasympathetic nerves shut them up...

To sum this up:

Blastoise lost 25% of its health.

- Blastoise used Yawn.
Lapras became drowsy!
It's super effective!
Blastoise lost 33% of its health.

End result

Blastoise: 60%

Ninja Gone Batshit

Alright, it was the time in the match to reveal my last team member, my 1 BL which is none other than Shedinja! I picked Shedinja for this tournament because I knew he would be a dangerous force with Abomasnow being the only weather changer, and the fact that he can create the ultimate mind games with his ability to sweep at a moment's notice when the rest of the opponent's team was not prepared for him. This is the reason why I forced all of Flygon's Stone Edges out of him, though I'm not going to lie, I forgot about Aggron being alive.

I decide to send Shedinja in on Lapras, who has a zero percent chance of even touching him, which allows for a Swords Dance. Ninetales comes in, but it does not scare me, because I stuck Focus Sash on Shedinja, for the extra life. This means that I can safely Swords Dance again to knockout more members of quinnydinny's team.

Yeah, so I get my second Swords Dance off while Ninetales Nasty Plots. It appears that quinnydinny is showing signs of intimidation from Shedinja, because it's showing in the moves that he's making, as setting up against Shedinja is a terrible idea, since he should be killed right away or he'll become a huge problem.

Well, I decided to start attacking with my Shadow Sneaks to rip into his team's foundation. The casualties in this scenario were Ninetales, Cacturne and Crobat.

For Ninetales, he took a +4 STAB Shadow Sneak right in the mouth, but decided to switch out. This was a bad move due to the nerves for quinnydinny. If he had sacrificed Ninetales, Crobat or even Aggron could have come in to stop Shedinja, however, that is unfortunate.

In his nerves, Flygon came out, but then got switched right back to Crobat, which got Sneaked, and Sneaked again for the kill.

Ninetales came in again and got killed instantly by Shadow Sneak. Cacturne unfortunately got killed by two Shadow Sneaks on the switch-in, as he couldn't Sucker Punch me, being much slower than Shedinja due to paralysis and lack of speed EVs. Remember, when two priority moves meet, the faster goes first, which is unfortunate for Cacturne.

Summed up with hard log (only important hits shown):

bologo switched in Shedinja.
Lapras used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Shedinja...
Lapras fell asleep!

- Shedinja used Shadow Sneak.
Cacturne lost 14% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Cacturne fainted. ****

Crobat lost 39% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Crobat fainted. ****

quinnydinny switched in Ninetales.
Ninetales lost 22% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Ninetales fainted. ****

End result

Shedinja: 1 life
Cacturne: 0%
Ninetales: 0%
Crobat: 0%

4-3 Bologo

Riding a Tricycle on the Highway

Ouch, alright this scenario seriously is just painful. I could've had this game won, but I had to let my nerves get the best of me again and make such as stupid move. I decided to try a risk/reward here by risking that Aggron's Stone Edge would miss, since I kinda forgot that this guy existed on quinnydinny's team. Yeah, I tried risking that Aggron's Stone Edge would miss so that I could safely Will-O-Wisp it and help my team out immensely.

I could have given myself an insane advantage, but I was too dumb at the time and I didn't think of it, but I could have gotten rid of Aggron with strategic switching between Blastoise and Shedinja, and then killed everything else with Shedinja...man this sucks.

Well, I at least know that Aggron will die eventually due to his burn that he received from Shedinja as a parting gift...

I bring in Blastoise, and it's pretty obvious that Aggron's not just going to sit there and say "surf me please, I want to die right now", so I Yawned the incoming switch-in, but it failed because it happened to be Lapras who's already asleep, and already annoying the hell out of me!

I decided to give Shuckle another shot and hope that it could Knock Off Lapras's Leftovers to stop it from stalling me out since Shuckle was waking up the next turn, but instead, it doesn't work because quinnydinny predicts it and switches to Flygon who already has no item thanks to an earlier Knock Off. Shuckle isn't leaving so quickly, it needs to leave a nasty gift for Flygon with Encore.

Shuckle Encored Earthquake, and switched over to Rotom, who's immune to that stuff, which means that Flygon will need to get out of my face.

This scenario included:

- Shedinja used Will-o-wisp.
Aggron was burned!
It's super effective!
Shedinja lost 100% of its health.

**** bologo's Shedinja fainted. ****

- Blastoise used Yawn.

- Lapras is fast asleep!

Shuckle woke up!
Flygon lost 2% of its health.
- Flygon used Earthquake.
Shuckle lost 24% of its health.
- Shuckle used Encore.
Flygon got an encore!

Rotom makes ground moves miss with Levitate!

End result

Shuckle: 65%
Shedinja: 0%
Aggron: 88%
Blastoise: 66%

3-3 Tie
I Guess There is no one to Blame...We're Leaving Ground

The events that take place here are to show how Aggron eventually faces defeat. What happened is that Aggron took a forgettable amount of damage from an incoming Shadow Ball courtesy of Rotom as he switched in, that only dealt 20%, but also received burn damage to amplify that, later taking a huge Thunderbolt for 46% and even more burn damage, leaving him at only 22% with help from his Leftovers. Stone Edge did hurt Rotom a bit though, taking 31%, which is surprisingly lower than I thought he would be taking from an STAB Stone Edge, in all honesty. I guess the max HP EVs helped him quite a bit.

quinnydinny knew that Aggron would die on the next hit, so he decided to bring in Flygon to take the inevitable Thunderbolt, but little did he know that I wanted a little prediction war to make things a little more interesting. I predicted his prediction and used Shadow Ball on the incoming Flygon for a decent 36%, but more importantly, a special defense drop, which was quite helpful. The big problem was that, even though my Shadow Balls were now doing 52%, Flygon was still Roosting them off like they were nothing. I decided to give Blastoise a shot as a lure for Lapras to come out, but quinnydinny kept the prediction war up and decided to keep Flygon in as I brought in Shuckle in hopes of Lapras coming out.

Blastoise took 28% from an incoming Dragon Claw from the switch-in, and instantly switched to Shuckle to try and trick out Lapras, but it didn't work, and Flygon stayed in and Roosted instead, which was a pity for me. I tried to get Shuckle to Encore Flygon's next move, but unfortunately, I got punked out and Flygon switched to Aggron to dissipate the Encore, but Aggron was still taking burn damage. I now have the advantage against Aggron, because he can be stalled out very easily now. I still hate Flygon for getting all the way back to 95%...

With Shuckle out, I knew Aggron was going to Stone Edge, so I brought out Blastoise, just to keep Shuckle safe from any critical hits that might happen from Stone Edge, which would be terrible, since Shuckle would suffer a very hefty amount of damage since the attack drop from Aggron's burn would be ignored, plus STAB Stone Edge from 110 base attack is nothing to scoff at. Blastoise only took 20% from Stone Edge, which made me happy as that was the end of Aggron's final countdown. Knockout from burn damage, how sweet it is.

Important events that took place (residual damage only shown where it matters):

Aggron lost 20% of its health.
- Rotom used Thunderbolt.
Aggron lost 46% of its health.
Rotom lost 31% of its health.

Flygon lost 36% of its health.
Flygon's special defence was lowered.
- Flygon used Roost.
Flygon restored 38% of its health.
Flygon lost 52% of its health.
- Flygon used Roost.
Flygon restored 50% of its health.
Flygon lost 52% of its health.

Blastoise lost 28% of its health.
- bologo switched in Shuckle.
- Flygon used Roost.
- quinnydinny switched in Aggron.
Shuckle used Encore.
But it failed!

bologo switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Blastoise lost 20% of its health.
- Aggron was hurt by its burn!
Aggron lost 9% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Aggron fainted. ****

End result

Aggron: 0%
Rotom: 87%
Flygon: 95%
Shuckle: 77%
Blastoise: 30%

3-2 Bologo

Lots of Hate and 102 Base Power

Grrrr...grrr...grrr...grrr....grrr, it happened again. A pokemon of mine gets frozen by that goddamn Lapras...I want to shove a rusty chainsaw right in that thing's eye right about now, because it's caused me so much grief this battle.

Alright, I was able to Knock Off its annoying Leftovers with Shuckle, but then I switched back to Rotom to try and Thunderbolt again while it was asleep, but Rotom took 41% from Ice Beam, and I was beginning to get extremely scared of Flygon coming out again, so since Lapras seems pretty keen on Ice Beaming my guys, I figure I might as well switch in Blastoise to force the guy to sleep or switch with Yawn.

This seems like a GREAT idea at first, and I even take the first Ice Beam pretty well, but the second one freezes Blastoise, which is so very unenjoyable. Does the pokemon game feel the real life weather or something? This is no longer ironic, but is just very sad now, and I seriously remember slamming my hands extremely hard on my desk and holding my head in frustration...at least I got a Yawn in before Blastoise got frozen though.

Important moves:

Lapras is fast asleep!
Shuckle knocked off foe Lapras's Leftovers!
Lapras lost 1% of its health.

Lapras woke up!
- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Rotom lost 41% of its health.

- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Blastoise lost 13% of its health.
- Blastoise used Yawn.
Lapras became drowsy!
- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Blastoise lost 13% of its health.
Blastoise was frozen solid!

End result

Blastoise: 16%
Shuckle: 89%
Rotom: 65%
Lapras: 99%

I Feel the Same Way

Poor Blastoise gets knocked out in this scenario and it's all thanks to the annoying freeze! There's another little prediction war here.

Initially, Flygon Roosts and I decided to take a chance and Encore his Roost. I thought this would be a great opprtunity for Blastoise to try and stall out the freeze and get some Leftovers health back in the process, but long story short, that didn't happen, because he predicted my prediction and brought out Lapras who Blastoise had no chance of killing. I thought Blastoise would at least defrost to give Lapras a Yawn, but it just didn't work out, I'm sorry Blastoise...he got killed by a Thunderbolt, because he remained frozen, and unable to deliver a move...Blastoise was such a great pokemon this match too, thank you boy. The rest of the team is NOT going to let Blastoise's sacrifice be in vain.

Scenario summed up:

- Blastoise is frozen solid!
Lapras used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Blastoise lost 24% of its health.

**** bologo's Blastoise fainted. ****

End result

Shuckle: 100%
Lapras: 99%
Blastoise: 0%

2-2 Tie

Hot Chocolate Would be Good Right About Now

Well, ok, this scenario goes completely wrong for me, and my nerves just start giving up here. I started wondering if this tournament was really worth my time, because I was obviously not experienced enough in UU/BL games to be doing this.

It doesn't start out too badly, well actually, I did get outpredicted. I pulled Rotom in to Thunderbolt Lapras, but I reconsidered and decided to use Shadow Ball instead for if Flygon decided to come out and ruin everything like it's been doing so far this match. quinnydinny kept Lapras in and punked my Rotom out and took off a sizable chunk of health while doing it with Ice Beam which ripped off 43% of Rotom's health as a penalty for predicting wrong, and the guy who wasn't taking much damage the entire game is now hanging on for dear life.

I knew Rotom was going to get knocked out if I kept it in, and Shuckle as the last pokemon has always been a dreadful experience in my eyes, and it's lost every single time it's happened. Miracles never happen, it's just the way things work for Shuckle, they just never do.

In fact, all hell broke loose in my mind when that devilish Lapras Ice Beamed my Shuckle as it came in, and guess what? IT GOT FROZEN! This was no short freeze either, it lasted 4 turns, and those 4 turns were cruicial, because Shuckle was no longer able to mess up. If Shuckle messed up, the game was over right here, because Rotom could no longer take a hit. In the 4 turns of freeze, Lapras gained all of its health back through Rest, and performed 3 Ice Beams on Shuckle, thankfully, none of them landed a critical hit. This is getting extremely intense at this point, and right now if Shuckle doesn't pull his act together, I WILL lose.

Turns deserving mention:

Lapras lost 21% of its health.
- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Rotom lost 43% of its health.

- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Shuckle lost 23% of its health.
Shuckle was frozen solid! (total time frozen: 4 turns)
- Lapras used Rest.
Lapras fell asleep!
Lapras restored 22% of its health.
Lapras is fast asleep!
- Lapras used Sleep Talk.
Lapras used Ice Beam.
Shuckle lost 20% of its health. (x2, the other one =23%)

End result

Shuckle: 58%
Rotom: 28%

A Bottle of Sunny Delight

This is the beginning of insanity. From here, the battle went on for a very long time, to put it lightly. Shuckle shocked the hell out of me by doing what none of my other pokemon could, and was getting out of freeze status alive!

He got out of freeze just in time to Encore the Ice Beam, and Rest so that he could no longer be frozen. It was time...time to stall the hell out of this Lapras which had annoyed me the entire game! I can't believe it had come down to this, but this is something that Shuckle needed to do if our team was going to have any chance at a win. You see, if Ice Beam is stalled out, that means that Rotom can easily live through Thunderbolt and shred Lapras to pieces. That was my thinking at the time, and it seemed like a great idea at the time, but I had to work with whatever quinnydinny was planning as well...

Important turns with no repeats:

Lapras woke up!
Lapras used Ice Beam.
Shuckle lost 22% of its health.
Shuckle was defrosted!
Shuckle used Encore.
Lapras got an encore!

Lapras used Ice Beam.
Shuckle lost 19% of its health.
Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 76% of its health. (7-turn stall)

End result

Shuckle: 86%

Stand Your Ground

This was the beginning of Shuckle's real plan. Heh heh, this was his plan all along. I needed desperate measures, and giving necessities is Shuckle's specialty. Shuckle has taken enough crap in this match, and he's no longer going to take it! Lapras switched out for Flygon, and with all of his low PP moves, Shuckle can handle him, but Rotom is there to help when it becomes advantageous.

Shuckle stalled the hell out of Flygon for a total of 31 turns in this scenario, and basically just cycled through Knock Off when he wasn't sleeping, Encored hits and Rested when he was low on health. However, there were some extremely close calls with Shuckle's Resting which nearly caused the game to collapse! There was even an instance where I only had 1% health left at my Resting turn...Flygon pulled out all the stops against Shuckle, using Earthquake and Dragon Claw, getting several critical hits in the process. The events here panned out pretty well for me this time.

The stall ended when Shuckle woke up and Encored Flygon's Roost, and then decided to switch over to Rotom.

The start and certain near-death experiences:

quinnydinny switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Shuckle is fast asleep!

Shuckle lost 18% of its health.
- Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 93% of its health. (only 7% left)

- Flygon used Earthquake.
Shuckle lost 24% of its health.
- Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 99% of its health. (holy crap...)

Stall time: 31 turns

End result

Shuckle: 100%

Never Forget Who You Are

This time, what happened is that I brought Rotom out, and I was planning to force a switch to Lapras with Flygon being Encored, but I decided to be cautious and use Shadow Ball because at this point in the game I didn't want to take any risks at all. I had a feeling that quinnydinny was going to be extremely tricky at this point, because I could tell that he was getting frustrated, so he would start pulling out the desperate measures as well.

Ok, so Rotom kept on Shadow Balling, and oddly enough, 2 out of the 3 Shadow Balls Rotom threw out there to Flygon were special defense droppers. However, with Flygon being locked into Roost from Encore, the damage was building up extremely slowly, which really frustrated me, because I really wanted Lapras to show up.

Lapras did show up the next turn and got 18% taken off from Shadow Ball, and then Rotom Thunderbolted Lapras to take off an additional 48%, which was nice. I honestly could have had this Lapras dead, but Rotom could have very well been dead as well the next turn if Flygon decided to come out and take a Thunderbolt...so I decided to switch out to Shuckle...biggest mistake ever. My nerves never went away, and it made me make moves that were way too cautious, and if any players know me, they know that I'm normally extremely risky.

Important parts:

Flygon used Roost.
But it failed!

Flygon lost 33% of its health.
- Flygon used Roost.
Flygon lost 53% of its health.

quinnydinny switched in Lapras (lvl 100 Lapras ?).
Lapras lost 18% of its health.
It's super effective!
Lapras lost 48% of its health.
- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Rotom lost 41% of its health.

End result

Rotom: 17%
Flygon: 47%
Lapras: 34%

Battle of the Insects

It was time to get rid of this Flygon once and for all, because it had caused my team way too much grief this entire game. I proceeded to stall it out of the rest of its PP, but before that happened, a few little tidbits occurred.

I screwed up before by being too cautious, but I needed to just work with what I had done. I got Shuckle to switch in due to my caution, so I thought that it might as well Encore the inevitable Rest from Lapras. I could've sworn that Lapras would stay in to try and stall Shuckle, so I switched to Rotom to give Thunderbolt a try again while Lapras was locked into sleep.

quinnydinny wouldn't let this happen though, predicted my switch and went over to Flygon. Now, not only is Flygon faster, but he's still got Dragon Claws up his sleeve and WILL kill Rotom if I leave him in, so I switched back to Shuckle to take the Dragon Claw.

This began the stall which lasted 19 turns in total, with 15 in this scenario and 4 in the next. It was basically a repeat of the previous stall match between Flygon and Shuckle, except this time Flygon was out of PP at the end! Holy moly, it's going to feel good to get rid of this monstrosity.

Switches, restoration, and start of the stall:

- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Shuckle lost 20% of its health.

- Lapras used Rest.
Lapras fell asleep!
Lapras restored 66% of its health.

Shuckle lost 19% of its health. (start of stall)

Stall time: 15 turns

End result

Flygon: 97%
Rotom: 23%
Shuckle: 61%

Self-Mutilation

This is one of the most greatest scenarios I have ever had in any match, because it's the first time I've ever forced a death by Struggle in D/P, and it's the first time that I've seen Shuckle perform a brand new niche.

By the end of the previous scenario, Flygon was out of PP, and in this one, it was just a matter of stalling for 4 more turns to get Flygon out of my face. This was probably the most awful way for me to get back on my feet, but you know what? This is a friggin tournament, and I'll do any kind of arcane, sadistic, desperate tactics to win my round! quinnydinny was evidently extremely pissed after this happened, hell I'd be pissed if this happened to me, it's not every day that you see someone go through with a full stall like this.

Watching this on the screen made me feel a bit more at ease:

- Flygon used Struggle.
Shuckle lost 8% of its health.
Flygon was hit by recoil!
Flygon lost 25% of its health.
- Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 48% of its health.

- Flygon used Struggle.
Shuckle is fast asleep!

- Flygon used Struggle.
Shuckle lost 9% of its health.
Shuckle is fast asleep!

- Flygon used Struggle.
Flygon lost 22% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Flygon fainted. ****

Shuckle woke up!
Shuckle used Knock Off.
But there was no target!

End result

Shuckle: 93%
Flygon: 0%

2-1 Bologo

Impatient and Wanting to go to Bed

Yeah, so after that great previous scenario came this one which seriously scared the hell out of me. I wanted to try and end this match as quickly as possible, because it was crossing the 1.5 hour point and I really wanted to go to bed since it was something like 3:45 AM in Brampton where I live.

The way I tried to go about this was to bring in Rotom to land a Thunderbolt while Lapras was still asleep, but I forgot that it was going to wake up the next turn due to the 2 turns of Rest! This shows how reckless I was being, because it costed me my Rotom and pretty much costed me the game right there.

A Shuckle as the final pokemon is suicide, and we all know it...but he's all I've got left, so...I've just got to have faith that this wonderful little pokemon can win, and do what no other Shuckle has ever done before, survive successfully as the last pokemon! If he doesn't do it, I'm out of the tournament, and all of these nerves will have been in vain. I need a miracle...come on, will the jolliest time of the year grant me one?

The events leading up to the Ghostly death:

Lapras is fast asleep!

Lapras is fast asleep!
Lapras used Sleep Talk.
Lapras used Rest.
But it failed!

It's super effective!
Lapras lost 47% of its health.
Lapras woke up!
- Lapras used Ice Beam.
Rotom lost 30% of its health.

**** bologo's Rotom fainted. ****

End result

Shuckle: 99%
Lapras: 53%
Rotom: 0%

1-1 Tie

Nessie vs. Koopa - Shell vs. Shell

Go go go Shuckle! The stall between Lapras and Shuckle was intense, but there was one extremely weird thing that I'd forgot about for the whole match that made me want to bang my head on the table. I HAD STEALTH ROCK! I made a humongous mistake for this entire match which could have saved me so much grief...

If you recall, I tried doing Stealth Rock at the very beginning of the match, but Crobat Taunted Shuckle, disallowing Stealth Rock at that time. Unfortunately, I completely forgot that I had it, because I was so set on just getting the match over with, and I was so into it, that I forgot to set it up and potentially have killed this Lapras with ease.

Anyways, now for the irony...Stealth Rock helped me even without being set up, you know why? Well, I devised this strategy on a whim in the stall with Lapras. First off, I realized that Lapras was Resting off the damage from Knock Off far too much, which was costing me unnecessary PP. I thought to myself, what if I just don't do damage? Then Lapras won't be able to Rest! What I decided to do was to just spam Stealth Rock to waste PP, and disallow Rest, since I was out of Encores now. If I was low on HP, I'd just Rest, because it's more PP conservation for me. Shuckle also got paralyzed by Thunderbolt for part of the stall, which was to my advantage, because it conserved my Shuckle's precious PP.

Shuckle used Stealth Rock until it couldn't do it anymore, and thankfully, when Stealth Rock was out of PP, Lapras's Rest was out of PP as well, which meant that I was free to Knock Off as much as I wanted.

Sleep Talk got stripped of its PP quite quickly, as it was Lapras's most frequently used move throughout the battle, Rest was next, Ice Beam was stripped and then finally Thunderbolt. The stall went on for 39 turns in this scenario and 4 turns in the next. Shuckle might win? This is madness! Right? No, my friends, this is Sparta.

The beginning, strategy, and end:

- Lapras used Rest.
Lapras fell asleep!
Lapras restored 48% of its health.
Lapras lost 1% of its health. (start of stall)

Lapras is fast asleep!
- Lapras used Sleep Talk.
Lapras used Thunderbolt.
Shuckle lost 14% of its health.
- Shuckle used Stealth Rock. (used until it ran out)

Lapras used Thunderbolt.
Shuckle used Rest.
Shuckle fell asleep!
Shuckle restored 93% of its health. (extremely close...)

Shuckle woke up!
Lapras lost 1% of its health. (end of stall)

Stall time: 39 turns

End result

Shuckle: 77%
Lapras: 98%

Miracles DO Happen!

Ohhhhhh my...the Christmas miracle really did happen! Shuckle forced the Lapras into oblivion as the final pokemon, and was able to successfully stall out 2 pokemon completely...Shuckle baby, I love you.

This marks the end of not only the longest battle I've ever had, but also some of the biggest learning experiences about pokemon, UU/BL, devising sets, prediction, and real life competition in general. This battle kept me on my feet the entire time, and I hope that quinnydinny remembered this battle in the same way that I did.

The Christmas miracle...:

Lapras used Struggle.
A critical hit!
Shuckle lost 11% of its health.
Lapras was hit by recoil!
Lapras lost 25% of its health.
Shuckle used Knock Off.

Lapras used Struggle.
A critical hit!
Shuckle lost 10% of its health.
Shuckle used Knock Off.

Lapras used Struggle.
Shuckle lost 5% of its health.
Shuckle used Knock Off.

Lapras used Struggle.
Shuckle lost 5% of its health.
Lapras lost 20% of its health.

**** quinnydinny's Lapras fainted. ****

End result

Shuckle: 70%
Lapras: 0%

bologo wins! 1-0

Little Shuckie and family scared the muggers away,
oh wow, oh man, oh geez what a day!
Shuckie saved Christmas for all the little children,
and Santa was grateful, but felt bad for the burden.
The family just smiled, and helped him to his feet, but Santa offered little Shuckie to sit up in his sleigh.
The family agreed, as he did save the day.
They delivered presents throughout the night,
as the stars in the night were shining bright.
To this day, Shuckie remembers and always will remember,
the miraculous survival of Christmas on that starry night of December.

END

Good Things

+ Shuckle actually pulled though
+ Great learning experience
+ Mind games galore in this battle
+ My first tournament match
+ I found my ways to work with the mistakes I made
+ Shedinja made everything go much smoother

Bad Things

- My inexperience in the UU/BL metagame showed
- I forgot about Stealth Rock
- Any stupid mistakes made on both sides
- The fact that the match went past the 2 hour mark by the end

Lessons to take from this battle

- First off, learn from your mistakes. It's ok to make mistakes during a battle, but use those mistakes to aid in your prediction.

- Trust your instincts, because the strategy that you think of on a whim can often be a winning one.

- Pay attention to your pokemon's moveset very carefully every time you pick them, because you do not want to be forgetting which moves they have.

- For tournaments, it's a good recommendation to practice before them. Believe me, I did not practice at all and I just played with my favourite UU/BL pokemon. Using your favourites is fine, but if you don't practice, tournament matches become that much harder to win, because then your nerves increase a lot, and the skill level in tournaments is much higher than in regular matches.

- Nerves can often make the difference between a loss and a win, so remember to breathe deeply, and this goes for any competition.

Scenario Title Meanings

It's a Knock Off! - Based off the title of the popular song with the same name, goes to signify Flygon's item being Knocked Off.

Applause at Incorrect Times Gives Haymaker to Face - This is to signify that the failed Encore caused Clefable to receive a very hard punch to the face.

Tricks and Mind Games
- This is to show Rotom's Trick to Cacturne, and quinnydinny's mind games with Aggron.

Stoner - Just there because Clefable gets killed by Stone Edge, and it was being obnoxious with Encore, and many stoners are very obnoxious when they're high.

Flip-Flop - This is the first time any real damage is done to quinnydinny's team, but then everyone on his team is just brought back to full health, which means that something changed, but then it changed back quickly.

Eye of the Hurricane - This was the scenario right before things started to get especially terrible for my team.

The Wintertime Toll - Bibarel got destroyed due to freeze status, and this match took place during December in a Christmas tournament, so this is fitting.

Sympathetic Nerve Amplification - These are the nerves which increase heartbeat, adrenaline, the width of blood vessels, sweat and breathing frequency when the body is in a tense situation. I was extremely nervous during this scenario, so that's why I named it this.

Ninja Gone Batshit - Shedinja was tearing up things, this is perfectly fitting!

Riding a Tricycle on the Highway - This is the way to get yourself killed in an extremely stupid way. I basically did this during this scenario because I let Shedinja die when it evidently shouldn't have had to.

I Guess There is no one to Blame...We're Leaving Ground - This comes from the song "The Final Countdown", and I put it there because the scenario was basically counting down to Aggron's death.

Lots of Hate and 102 Base Power
- I was suffering from extreme "Frustration" at that time, so this title fits well with that.

I Feel the Same Way - Ok, basically, I have an extremely cold basement, and it feels colder down in there than it did outside on that day, so I was freezing just like Blastoise in this scenario because I was playing shoddybattle down there.

Hot Chocolate Would be Good Right About Now - This is there because all of my pokemon seemed to be getting frozen for some reason, so perhaps it's because they really needed a hot beverage.

A Bottle of Sunny Delight - Shuckle was the only pokemon on the team to survive through a freeze, which implied that the blizzard was over and that the sun had come out, but there was also a nasty aftertaste to be left in the mouth from the stalling tactics that I had to use with Shuckle because it was such an evil strategy, like the drink named "Sunny Delight", or "SunnyD".

Stand Your Ground - This signifies the beginning of Shuckle's stall, and implies that he's not going to give up, and he's just going to keep taking a beating until the opponent can no longer give them.

Never Forget Who You Are - I put this there because I started acting too cautiously, which is the exact opposite of what I am in pokemon battles, and I put this there as a reminder, to always be yourself.

Battle of the Insects - It was Flygon vs. Shuckle, the two insects, to see if Flygon would get stalled out, or if Shuckle would be killed.

Self-Mutilation - Called this because it's Flygon's Struggle scenario.

Impatient and Wanting to go to Bed - I was impatient and wanting to go to bed in this one, pretty self-explanatory...

Nessie vs. Koopa - Shell vs. Shell - It was Shuckle vs. Lapras, the two shelled individuals, battling it out to see who would get stalled, and who would get killed.

Miracles DO Happen! - This is a miraculous scenario because Shuckle, as the final pokemon actually won, and in the battle as a regular defensive Shuckle without Toxic, was able to get 2 pokemon KOed. I was losing pretty badly the whole match, but then this suddenly just started happening, and seriously, it was a miraculous ending.

Special Thanks To...

quinnydinny - This warstory would not be possible were it not for your great skill and mind games. Thank you allowing me to experience my first tournament battle in D/P, it was long, frustrating and hard, but it was a blast! By the way, thanks for being such a good sport about the Struggle loss, most people would have exploded on me for pulling that.

StrangerDanger - He's the one who watched my match for the entire length and cheered me on the whole time. Thank you sir, because if you were not there, I believe that my nerves would have gotten the best of me.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I haven't made a warstory since sometime in November, so I hope I'm not rusty, because I really wanted to try this new format I made up with the scenario divisions and such.

EDIT: Sprites edited in, sorry about that.

This does look like a very fascinating read and way to write a Warstory and i'll be sure to post a much more significant comment when i'm completely done. Fantastic job, Bologo! Always pulling something amazing out!

EDIT: 5 Stars. I enjoyed the ride, but the Stally parts did get a little annoying. I liked the way you sort of glossed over them in favour of the larger picture. Also some turns were slightly confusing but after re-reading them a few times, it went down a lot better. Very nice.

Nice one, took me 30min to read o.0 Was never boring though thanks to the way of writing it.

I feel for quinnydinny so much, I don't think I would have mentally been able to deal with the Shuck'a'stall. That was some impressive determination Bologo.

Shedninja was also impressive and may have cemeted it's status as a BL in this battle. When it came in it overpowered your opponent, leaving only when sacrificed. I can't possibly imagine how long this warstory would have been if Shedninja wasn't present.

Nice Warstory Bologo!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
....I don't think I have words to describe what I just went through!

It's a very well thought out warstory, although it was a tad bit too long (I think reading your description of stall brought out all my bad memories of stalling things)

Although it was very well written, the battle was not one of the most interesting ones I have ever read. However, the way you personalised it kept me reading until the end :toast:

Honestly, that was one of the best warstories I have ever read. I really enjoyed that. Stalll blah blah blah, it was incredible. I'll remember this one. You put an excellent amount of time and effort into this, and glad you did. Excellence, pure excellence.

Bologo, thank you.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The battle was boring, but damn did I like the commentary...5 stars from me as well.

I'm requesting this gets put in archives, as it is the perfect example of what a war story should be, intelligent commentary.

Kudos, my fellow Shuckle using friend ;D

The longest and one of the best warstories I ever read. Great. One thing, Shedinja didn't attack the opponent with + 2 attack, but with + 4 ;)

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks a lot, right after I saw you as my first reply I got a very good feeling, since you're quite a good battler, and that first reply is always a big difference.

This does look like a very fascinating read and way to write a Warstory and i'll be sure to post a much more significant comment when i'm completely done. Fantastic job, Bologo! Always pulling something amazing out!

EDIT: 5 Stars. I enjoyed the ride, but the Stally parts did get a little annoying. I liked the way you sort of glossed over them in favour of the larger picture. Also some turns were slightly confusing but after re-reading them a few times, it went down a lot better. Very nice.
Haha thanks, I actually wrote this warstory after seeing the amazing reaction that your warstory received. I wanted to see if I could still write an awesome warstory like yours that deviated from the norm after 6 months of nothing. :] I'm glad to hear you read the whole thing, and yeah the stall parts were annoying, it was pretty hard to condense them, but where tere's a will, there's way!

Nice one, took me 30min to read o.0 Was never boring though thanks to the way of writing it.
Holy crap, 30 minutes? Haha, thanks for reading that long, I'm glad to hear my commentary didn't totally suck. :D

I feel for quinnydinny so much, I don't think I would have mentally been able to deal with the Shuck'a'stall. That was some impressive determination Bologo.

Shedninja was also impressive and may have cemeted it's status as a BL in this battle. When it came in it overpowered your opponent, leaving only when sacrificed. I can't possibly imagine how long this warstory would have been if Shedninja wasn't present.

Nice Warstory Bologo!
Yeah, seriously, if Shedinja wasn't there I don't think I would've won. I would've ran out of PP way too quickly...I think quinnydinny took this in a more than professional way, because he stuck it out through the whole thing. Thanks for the compliment!

....I don't think I have words to describe what I just went through!

It's a very well thought out warstory, although it was a tad bit too long (I think reading your description of stall brought out all my bad memories of stalling things)
Haha yes stalling things is the pinnacle of un-fun. I knew it was going to be really long, but I think that dividing the things into scenarios made it a lot easier to read, I hope.

Simply incredible. Excellent battle, awesome commentary.. simply incredible.
Haha, thanks a lot. :]

nice warstory, epic shuckle win at the end

probably one of the best warstories on Smogon rite now
Now that's awesome, I'm glad you liked the Shuckle win, I hope others thought the same way as you.

Although it was very well written, the battle was not one of the most interesting ones I have ever read. However, the way you personalised it kept me reading until the end :toast:
Yeah, the battle itself was pretty slow. Before I made the warstory, I looked at all the parts of the battle, and I knew that I had to make everything sound like it counted. It's like doing improv, you just need to work with what you've got and make it sound good, so that even the most boring of individuals can sound like a star!

Honestly, that was one of the best warstories I have ever read. I really enjoyed that. Stalll blah blah blah, it was incredible. I'll remember this one. You put an excellent amount of time and effort into this, and glad you did. Excellence, pure excellence.

Bologo, thank you.
Thanks a lot for commending my effort, I'm really glad I wrote this warstory for comments like this. I'm glad that the time and effort actually showed in the warstory. :P

The battle was boring, but damn did I like the commentary...5 stars from me as well.

I'm requesting this gets put in archives, as it is the perfect example of what a war story should be, intelligent commentary.

Kudos, my fellow Shuckle using friend ;D
Yay, the OTHER Shuckle user commented! Thanks a lot for commending the commentary, heh the right amount of spice can make even the blandest of food taste like a mouth-watering fiesta. That was my mentality, and I'm glad it worked. :] Thanks a lot for saying it should be put in the archives too, I hope it does, because that would be amazing if it did.

The longest and one of the best warstories I ever read. Great. One thing, Shedinja didn't attack the opponent with + 2 attack, but with + 4 ;)
Haha thank you. Also, thanks for the correction, I've edited that in. :]

was looking forward to reading about delibird and stantler, however didnt' read as they didn't appear....
Well, I guess the title name was a bit misleading towards Delibird and Stantler fans, but this was the coolest title I could think of that would pertain to the little intro and ending that I put in. :P

The most entertaining warstory I've read to date.
Ehh, seriously? Well, that's a huge step above all of my other warstories, thank you!

This is hilarious and amazing
Haha, I'm glad it kept you interested, after all, laughing is good for your health!

The ending gave me chills. Great warstory
Heh, awesome, I was hoping it would give at least one person chills (it did take place around the cold Christmas time of course!) Thanks a lot. :D

Holy crap, 4 votes for 5 stars? I wasn't even expecting 1 vote, nonetheless 4 votes. :D Thanks a million to everyone who commented! :D

I love this warstory. UU is always fun but combined with your writing style it was jsut simply amazing.

Best. Story. Ever.

...and I don't think that's much of an exaggeration considering what everyone else is saying.

It takes something special to be able to turn an okay battle into an epic. I couldn't tell you were going to win until the Lapras stall.

Again, this was amazing.

Very good story Bologo, it was almost more like reading a short novel than a boring old log!! (the little titles like "riding a tricycle down a highway" were very entertaining.) Keep it up... smogon needs all the UU players it can get :(

Another fantastic effort to send to the archive in a few days. I particularly liked the overall approach you took by breaking the battle down into scenarios. It was interesting to read and made the whole thing flow very nicely.

Anyone still wondering what a good warstory should look like? Read this, and read Train Man's last thread. Then read them both again.

I, too, enjoyed the chapter-like structuring of this warstory; it kept things tidier and made the battle much more compelling to read rather than if it were in a wall of text. The battle was overall quite exciting!

Also, I hope you don't quiver as much anymore, when you battle! It's discouraging for me as one of your former apprentices! Poor Prof. Bologo. :(

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
I love this warstory. UU is always fun but combined with your writing style it was jsut simply amazing.
Thanks a lot, I've seen your warstories, and you're getting really good. Just remember, you can do it too!

Best. Story. Ever.

...and I don't think that's much of an exaggeration considering what everyone else is saying.

It takes something special to be able to turn an okay battle into an epic. I couldn't tell you were going to win until the Lapras stall.

Again, this was amazing.
Haha, I guess I did a good job of creating suspense, thanks a lot buddy.

Excellent read :)
Keep it up.
I sure will, only providing I have a battle as good as this again!

Very good story Bologo, it was almost more like reading a short novel than a boring old log!! (the little titles like "riding a tricycle down a highway" were very entertaining.) Keep it up... smogon needs all the UU players it can get :(
Heh, well I don't actually play in the UU tier all that much, and this match was my first time ever even trying. I just like stealing their pokemon and using them in OU. :P

I'm glad that you liked the little titles, I wasn't planning to do that when I initially started making the story, but as time went on I just kept modifying the story as much as I could until I was truly proud of it.

Another fantastic effort to send to the archive in a few days. I particularly liked the overall approach you took by breaking the battle down into scenarios. It was interesting to read and made the whole thing flow very nicely.

Anyone still wondering what a good warstory should look like? Read this, and read Train Man's last thread. Then read them both again.
Damn, that's an awesome compliment, I never imagined this to be such a good format, it was just experimental, but I guess if people like this then it's no longer experimental. :D

Thanks for the archiving comment, I hope it fits in well with all the other greats.

I, too, enjoyed the chapter-like structuring of this warstory; it kept things tidier and made the battle much more compelling to read rather than if it were in a wall of text. The battle was overall quite exciting!

Also, I hope you don't quiver as much anymore, when you battle! It's discouraging for me as one of your former apprentices! Poor Prof. Bologo. :(
Heh heh, I'm glad it flowed well, you'd be surprised how hard it is to turn such a stallish warstory into an exciting ride. :P

I don't quiver very much anymore, in fact, you could say that this battle was the reason I became a tutor, because it happened before I even became one. Honestly, I learned so much in this match because it basically showcased all the big skills that I teach to all my apprentices. Yeah, and I also realized that I needed to breathe during my matches, or I'd kinda flop. :P

EDIT: Holy crap, I just put all the commentary and story into Microsoft Word (excluding any log) to do a word count and it was ~6500 words from Background Information to End! Man...I don't think I've ever typed that much in my life. Haha, I could've done 3 English essays in that time. :P Ah well, this was way more fun than any boring old English essay.

Really excellent warstory and very enjoyable read. The battle itself was a little average, but the indepth comments really make it a great read. I look forward to your next one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)