The Series of Unfortunate Events - an UU RMT

Hello, Smogon. This is a team that has been going quite well in the nUU, and as maybe team has past its maximum potential, I am posting my team here with the hope that enough tweaking can make it extremely viable again. In terms of win rate, this is a team that has once reached the mid-80s% but has now declined to the mid-60s%.

This team was built in an attempt to counter some of the most used pokemon in the metagame. This is also the first of 2 UU RMTs that I will be posting. This one will explore the offensive spectrum of the metagame, and the second will explore the stalling aspects.

Also, this RMT will be a tribute to the Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket, centering in on the 6 noble children/teenagers.

Onto my team.

Violet B. (Roserade) @ Choice Scarf
Natural Cure
Timid
252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
~Sleep Powder
~Leaf Storm
~HP Fire
~Sludge Bomb

Violet Baudelaire: A great inventor, she has survived a lot of hardship during her travels. Her leadership has protected her family all through the 13 books of adversity. The impact and surprise that she can bring upon any given situation was, is, and will be, enormous.

How Roserade matches with Violet: Just the ability Scarf Rade has to foil enemy plans (Rain, Sun, TR etc.) makes me think of Violet using her inventions to foil her enemies’ numerous plans. Also, (no offence to females) once her Leaf Storm (strongest attack) has been used, her strength diminishes significantly, requiring support from her brother. (AHA.) Klaus (Azumarill) resists fire attacks that Roserade attracts.

Ah. Scarf Roserade. The old standard, Sash Rade, has in my opinion become less viable in the environment due to our lovely Fake Out leads (Ambipom and Persian) Scarf Rade, however, has the ability to outspeed 99%, if not all of the metagame. The max speed is unfortunately there to 50-50 all of the other Scarf Rade leads.

Also, this flower can also sleep weather leads (Electrode and Crobat) as they are essentially NEVER scarfed. So basically, this lead has a solid 74% rate (taking into account the accuracy of Sleep Powder AND the chance of opposing Scarf Rade leads.) Usually, when I succeed in sleeping the opponent, I bring my Steelix out to SR. Even if I fail, most of the times I will do that switch anyway to set SR up as quickly as possible.

And then later on, my Scarf Rade can also act as an effective revenge killer. Leaf Storm can finish of any weakened foe that does not resist it, and HP Fire is just there for coverage. Sludge Bomb is also in the set for good STAB, but it is rarely used in comparison. Maybe I should put Shadow Ball in place to cover some Ghosts and Psychics? I already has Honchkrow for that though… Comments please.

Sunny B. (Shaymin) @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Substitute
~Seed Flare
~Earth Power
~HP Ice

Sunny Baudelaire: Another essential member of the Baudelaire siblings. She was very useful many times during their journeys because she was frequently underestimated by her enemies.

How Shaymin matches with Sunny: Just the unpredictability of Sub Shaymin that Sunny has when facing her enemies. I still find many people who underestimate the power of the undersized powerhouse. Seed Flare tends to reduce opponents Special Defense (remember how Sunny lowers Count Olaf’s troupes guard on Mount Fraught?) and then hits with her moves that has good coverage.

How many of the Shaymins run Sub? 16.7%. How many of those also run Leech Seed? 100%. This set has been able to surprise some of my counters, after seeing a Substitute, as they expect a standard Sub/LS/SF/HP Fire SubSeeding set. However, Earth Power and HP Ice can offer a vast amount of coverage in conjunction with Seed Flare.

Usually, as Shaymin can score SE hits on pretty much 60% of the metagame, my opponent switches. I use that to my advantage and puts up a Sub to ease my prediction and to make hell for the opponent.

Klaus B. (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Huge Power
Adamant
212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
~Waterfall
~Double-Edge
~Focus Punch
~Aqua Jet

Klaus Baudelaire: The researcher of the trio. While sometimes a bit slow, he has a potential strength that many does not notice. His skills has saved the Baudelaires from many tight spots.

How Azumarill matches with Klaus: No one can deny that Klaus is slower than normal. His Aqua Jet attack, however, reflects how he can also surprise his opponents. Huge Power almost nullifies his sub-par Attack stat (all the people who call him a nerd? Death to you.) and Focus Punch just makes me think of him all focused, trying to foil the enemy.

Seriously, who can forgo a STAB priority move coming off 654 Attack? I nearly never end up using Double-Edge, and I only use Focus Punch when I know that there is a Registeel switch. Aqua Jet simply OHKOs most of the things weak to it, particularly Fire types that my dual Grassers tend to have problems with (thinking Moltres, Charizard, Magmortar and Blaziken).

Azumarill usually ends up scoring about 3 kills per battle with Aqua Jet, and I find this poke to be, really, indispensable on most UU offensive teams. Water/Normal moves are there for the usual perfect coverage.

Quigley Q. (Honchkrow) @ Choice Scarf
Super Luck
Naïve
248 Atk / 48 SpA / 212 Spe
~Night Slash
~Drill Peck
~Superpower
~Heat Wave

Quiqley Quagmire: The most offensive of his triplet. Also has a habit of being unpredictable, and as good a cartographer as any. Although not as strong as the strongest, he usually has the edge of speed.

How Honchkrow matches with Quigley: Firstly, the unpredictable part. No one could guess where he was, and everyone thought that he was dead. Choice Scarf Krow gets the jump on a lot of things and allows it to KO key Psychics/Fighters that my team might have problems with. Luck saved Quigley a few times, particular when he survived the Fire while staying out of the troubles that his other triplets came across. Also, Flyers make obvious good cartographers, as their ability to look at things from a bird eye's view is simply amazing.

The Dark Knight. Many of you may criticize me for using a ‘dubious’ Scarfer, but he’s actually quite useful in countering, outspeeding, and KOing some threats. This is my primary counter to the top 3 used pokemon right now (Shaymin/Mismagius/Roserade) as well as the multitude of Fighting pokemon (Hitmontop/Blaziken/Toxicroak etc.). Although this being my initial switch in to them, I must avoid a predicted Stone Edge. Heat Wave is there to pick out any Steel types not named Registeel who wants to ruin my fun. For the simple reason that it doesn’t do much to it anyway.

This thing nets usually at least one kill per match, as the unpredictability pays off, and the fact that nobody expects a Scarfed Krow anyway.

Duncan Q. (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Rock Head
Impish
252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Roar

Duncan Quagmire: The more defensive male triplet. The journalist, one who does it slow and sure. He’s my favourite male in the novel for the reason that he’s just like me.

How Steelix matches with Duncan: The way he does it slow and sure. Steelix is good defensively, and so is Duncan. He is obviously in love with Violet (oooh, the metal snake fell in love with the beautiful flower) and although he doesn’t do an active part, he tries his best to help the volunteers defensively.

Steelix. Seriously my secret weapon. For the reason that absolutely no one expects Steelix to run Roar. I cannot count how many times a Mismagius, Registeel or Spiritomb started setting-up on me only to be Roared in their faces. This thing is incredibly good in stacking up residual damage as he goes too, and really only as to switch out when Roaring in a Fire, Fighting or Water Poke. Also, it is dis thing which saves me from being sweeped by things like SD Drapion, when Shaymin is not in a position to switch in. Maybe Explosion would work well on Steelix. I don’t know, so any ideas?

Isadora Q. (Rotom) @ Light Clay
Levitate
Timid
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Thunderbolt
~Will-O-Wisp

Isadora Quagmire: My favourite female in the novel. She is seriously how I think a proper woman should be. Loving, caring, supporting everyone at the back…

How Rotom matches with Isadora: In many ways. Firstly, she supports the entire team perhaps even more than Steelix does. She is prepared to sacrifice herself (I’m afraid I have to do that often in order to set up a probable Shaymin sweep) for the greater good. She also does a good job at softening up strong physical attackers (lol female power) with Will-O-Wisp.

Originally, a Milotic filled this spot in my team. However, I found that I had badly needed a Fighting immune and a spin blocker, as things like Hitmontop, Hitmonlee and Primeape are giving me problems while I found that I cannot always rely on Honchkrow to deliver the kill. So, I chose Rotom instead. It provides me with some key resistances (Flying resists due to Roserade/Shaymin, Normal resist etc.) and can also status physical attackers and the Registeel whom I found that I often cannot beat unless it is burnt. It is also a good switch-in on a probable Explosion.

Some might argue that this is a bit too frail, and in a lot of cases I found that it is quite true. With Milotic, I had Recover of course, and that made Milotic a good tank. However, Rotom is liable to faint in usually 3 turns, so maybe someone can suggest an even better replacement to the Levitating-Thingy-Behind-The-Television that is Isadora?

Thank you for rating this team, and I sincerely hope that some of you share the love for the Series of Unfortunate Events as well.

Unfortunately, I never got around to reading "A Series of Unfortunate Events," but I really enjoyed the presentation of this team, regardless!

I can see your issues here, Rotom doesn't really hold it's own with the set you are running, especially as the Shaymin set that you are trying to set up isn't devastating. I think the problem here is either that Rotom isn't supporting the right Pokemon, or that Rotom is unnecessary on your team. Either way, I think you are really lacking a way to break through stall in UU, outside of Honchkrow, who will do decently. I am going to err on the side of replacing one of your sweepers to something that can deal a bit more damage with the screen support, although replacing Rotom isn't out of the question, either.

Swords Dance Blaziken is a great Stall-breaker, if you can get it set-up it will run rampant through most teams, I think replacing Shaymin with it may help you to get a good solid, set-up from Rotom. Here is the set:

Blaziken @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature / Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Fire Punch / Blaze Kick
~ Reversal

This baby is deadly after a Swords Dance, if you manage to Substitute down to either 1 or 12% HP then you will have a high powered reversal regardless, and you will activate Blaze. Blaze Kick allows you to KO a few Pokemon that you otherwise wouldn't, Spiritomb, most importantly. You may not want to pass up Fire Punches accuracy, however.

You might want to consider Thunder Wave over Will-o-Wisp on Rotom. Will-o-Wisp is not as important in UU as it is in OU, so losing it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is odds on that paralysis will give your Blaziken at least one free turn to set-up (from either switching or full paralysis), perhaps more with the screens up too. It will also cripple any Clefable who come in, paralysing it instead of burning / poisoning will help in the long run.

Adding in Blaziken actually removes your triple weakness to Ice and Fire, although it does make you more susceptiable to Ground-type attacks, that Shaymin covered nicely. You will need to predict well to get around something like Steelix who, with roar, will start to annoy you a little more, especially if Rotom can no longer touch it. It might be worth leading with the Krow and changing Roserade to a Life Orb version, but try things out, see how they work.

Good Luck with your team, please do come back and tell me how everything is working out for you ^_^

Solid team, Growth Shaymin can cause trouble but it does that against any team without Chansey lol. I don't suggest replacing Sludge Bomb on Roserade because many Honchkrows are switching in to take Leaf Storm/Sleep Powder and Pursuiting you to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)