Team Comical Sweep [OU Gli-Pass RMT]

Introduction
Aloha Smogon, Wob_Marley here with my first RMT. Those of you who know me know how busy I usually am with College and Baseball related stuff. I had more time than I knew what to do with this summer, giving me an opportunity to try my hand at this RMT thing. The team I am posting is at least 3 years old, and had been collecting dust on my laptop, so I felt it needed some more credit after how well it has served me through all the transitions in the OU metagame. Team Comical Sweep implements what is now more commonly known as the "Gli-pass strategy". Basically, my goal was to make a team that revolves around the Pure Baton Pass Gliscor set, providing it with perfect conditions to reliably pass attack and speed boosts to my sweeper. As if this team wasn’t old school enough already, I turned back the clock even more by making this RMT based on the old Justice League/Avengers comic books I read as a kid. I hope you all enjoy the read, because I sure enjoyed making it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Name: Oracle
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP | 216 Spe | 100 SpA
Nature: Timid [+Spe, -Atk]
  • Stealth Rock
  • U-Turn
  • Yawn
  • Psychic
Set Analyses
A solid lead was the hardest thing to find when making this team. Initially, I wanted to lead with a dual screener, and attempt to set up screens as soon as possible. However, I found that fast Taunt leads (Aerodactyl in particular), sleep, and trick-scarf leads were troublesome. Oddly enough, with some tweaks, my initial dual screen Pokemon ended up becoming quite the anti-lead. Stealth Rock is important on this team, and Uxie reliably sets them up early, neglecting the odd Focus Sash user from stopping a sweep, and securing some OHKOs for my sweeper. U-turn is a great way to deal with Focus Sash leads, either breaking their sash, or getting an advantageous switch in. Yawn works a lot like a phazing move, shuffling the opposing team and possibly allowing a free turn of set up with the right prediction. The combination of U-turn and Yawn gives Uxie great scouting ability, while also providing the team plenty of set up opportunities. Psychic rounds out the set by giving Uxie a reliable STAB attack.

EVs & Nature
216 Spe EVs and a Timid nature outpaces +Spe natured base 90s (most notably Roserade). 100 SpA EVs gives Psychic the power to OHKO lead scarf Breloom, 2HKO Roserade, and 2HKO attacking lead Machamp. The leftover EVs were placed in HP to give Uxie some bulk.
Just like Oracle for the Justice League, Uxie provides support and intel for her team. After Uxie’s dual screen set proved to be underwhelming, Uxie was reduced to a support role. Ironically, Oracle had a similar fate in DC Comics, where the former “Batgirl” was reduced JLA intelligence after an injury.
------------

Lead Matchups (versus top OU leads)
Aerodactyl: U-turn with Uxie as it Taunts to break its Focus Sash, and bring in Gyarados to make Aerodactyl choose between getting down Stealth Rock, or attacking before dieing to a Waterfall. Gyarados can also set up a Dragon Dance safely if Aerodactyl doesn’t Taunt.

Azelf: U-turn on the Taunt/Trick and bring in Jolteon that can finish it off with Thunderbolt or set up a Substitute.

Heatran: Uxie is 2HKOd by Fire Blast, but not Overheat. Yawn first turn, and set up Stealth Rock second turn. If Heatran stays in on the second turn of Yawn, it is set up bait.

Infernape: Take the Fake Out, mutually lay down Stealth Rock second turn, and go to Gyarados to take the Fire Blast and get free set up. I cannot risk Yawning second turn, because Uxie is 3HKOd by a Fake Out and two consecutive Fire Blasts.

Jirachi: Stealth Rock first turn. If it Tricks, I can go safely to Gyarados next turn and set up. If it Iron Heads, Jirachi can only manage a 4HKO, so I just have to hope it doesn’t flinch. If I don’t want to risk this, I go to Gyarados and set up.

Machamp: Psychic 2HKOs Machamp, before it 2HKOs Uxie with Payback.

Metagross: Occa Berry versions are handled the same as Heatran, as Uxie is not 2HKOd by Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch. Lum Berry versions require me to Yawn twice, switch to Jolteon on the Bullet Punch, and Substitute on the Earthquake/switch out.

Ninjask:
Go to Gyarados on the Protect. If it gets greedy and tries to Swords Dance, it cannot pass after Gyarados Taunts. At the worst, Ninjask passes a Substitute.

Roserade:
Uxie outspeeds and uses Psychic first turn, while Roserade Sleep Powders and activates Lum Berry. Uxie finishes off the 2HKO the second turn.

Swampert:
Stealth Rock first turn. If Swampert Protects while Uxie Stealth Rocks, I will go to Gyarados next turn to come in at full health while it Stealth Rocks, to get free set up. If Swampert also Stealth Rocks first turn, Uxie Yawns to force a switch.

Name: Captain America
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Spe | 4 SDef
Nature: Jolly [+Spe, -SpA]

• Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Taunt
  • Explosion
Set Analyses
After testing all viable dual screeners, Azelf proved to be the best candidate for Gli-Pass, mainly because of two moves: Taunt and Explosion. The most self explanatory moves of the set are Reflect and Light Screen, halving the damage of physical and special attacks aimed at the team, and aiding Gliscor with its pass. With Taunt, Azelf prevents phazers from attempting to shuffle, and sweepers from attempting to stat up while it sets up screens. Taunt also prevents opposing Pokemon from setting up troublesome Substitutes that shield their team from a sweep. Explosion was chosen as the final move because it gives Azelf a means of attack, ensuring that I don't use two purely set up Pokemon on the same team. The only drawback of Explosion would be the risk of an unadvantageous matchup after both Pokemon are KO'd, but getting Gliscor a free switch in to abuse dual screens is priority, so it can't be helped.

EVs & Nature
EVs are standard. 252 HP gives Azelf bulk under screens, and 252 Spe outspeeds up to positive base 110s. These EVs work fine, but I’m fairly certain there is a better EV spread. Help would be appreciated.
Leader of the Avengers, Captain America is known for kicking ass with nothing more than a shield. Azelf doesn’t kick ass per say from an offensive standpoint, but still manages to serve up some justice with its shield(s), often leading to a victory.
------------

Name: The Dark Knight
Item: Yache Berry
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP | 60 Spe | 196 SDef

• Rock Polish
  • Swords Dance
  • Taunt
  • Baton Pass
Set Analyses
Gliscor is the Pokemon this team is centered around, and is in my opinion, the best Baton Passer in OU. Most people know how this works, so it shouldn’t take too much explanation. Rock Polish first turn to out speed virtually everything. Swords Dance until Gliscor is low on health or has enough boosts under its belt to pass (usually only 2 attack boosts are needed). Taunt stops phazers and Trick users from preventing the Baton Pass, and status users from hitting my sweeper after the Baton Pass. If all goes well, Gliscor will have done its job within 3-4 turns.

EVs & Nature
Standard Pure Baton Pass Gliscor. 60 Spe EVs allow Gliscor to outspeed Adamant Gyarados without boosts, and Choice Scarf Gengar after a Rock Polish. The rest of the EVs are thrown into HP and SpD, allowing it to take hits from both sides of the attacking spectrum.
Batman, The Dark Knight. Not gifted with any real superpowers, Batman can often be seen relying on his utility belt to turn the tide in a fight. Gliscor is very similar, as it also uses its utility to turn the match in my favor.
------------

Name: Weapon X
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Spe | 252 Atk
  • Meteor Mash
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake
  • ThunderPunch
Set Analyses
Capable of OHKOing the entire tier with a Life Orb and +4 Attack, while also being immune to attack drops, Metagross earns a spot as the Baton Pass receiver for this team. Despite its accuracy, the power of Meteor Mash is needed to secure some OHKOs that Iron Head does not. Zen Headbutt is Metagross’ other underrated STAB that allows it to get past opponents such as Swampert and Rotom-A. Earthquake gets coverage on steel types, and ThunderPunch allows Metagross to hit Skarmony and bulky waters hard. Using two inaccurate attacks in Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt is a bit of a gamble, but to be honest, it is a gamble even playing with this sort of team, so it's go big or go home. Replacing the above mentioned moves with Ice Punch, Iron Head, or Explosion wouldn't help either, as it severely limits sweeping capability, and leaves it helpless versus some OU walls.

EVs & Nature
252 Spe EVs and a Jolly nature allows Metagross to outspeed up to +Spe natured base 108s with a Scarf after being passed a Rock Polish (notable scarfed Pokemon being outsped are Flygon, Infernape, and Jirachi). Attack EVs are maxed out for offensive potential.

Below are some calculations demonstrating the offensive capabilities of Metagross at +4 Attack:

+4 Jolly Metagross vs Top OU Defensive Walls
Meteor Mash vs 252 HP / 220 Def Bold Celebi: 119.6% - 140.6%
Meteor Mash vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Cressalia: 93.5% - 110.1% (OHKO w/ SR)
Meteor Mash vs 252 HP / 168 Def Impish Hippowdon: 106.7% - 125.7%
Zen Headbutt vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Rotom-A: 118.4% - 139.5%
Zen Headbutt vs 252 HP / 252 Def Relaxed Swampert: 100.2% - 118.1%
Earthquake vs 252 HP / 144 Def Relaxed Forretress: 75.1% - 88.7% (7.69% to OHKO w/ SR)
Thunderpunch vs 252 HP / 80 Def Sassy Bronzong: 79.6% - 93.8% (41.03% to OHKO w/ SR)
Thunderpunch vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune: 106.4% - 125.2%
Weapon X, better known as Wolverine, is a mutant that was built to be the ultimate killing machine; possessing a skeleton made purely of the indestructible steel, Adamantium. The name Weapon X fits Metagross perfectly, as its steel typing and high attack stat make it the ultimate sweeper with enough attack boosts.
------------

Name: Aquaman
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP | 184 Atk | 168 Spe
  • Dragon Dance
  • Taunt
  • Waterfall
  • Bounce
Set Analyses
Gyarados serves as the teams fall back sweeper, and back up Baton Pass recipient if I feel a Metagross pass will be predicted (can switch in on resisted fire/ground attacks). Dragon Dance is a great set up move, that lets Gyarados act as a standalone sweeper. Taunt stops phazing from walls like Skarmony, Swampert and Celebi that try to prevent a sweep. Waterfall is an obvious choice for STAB, hurting anything that doesn’t resist. Bounce rounds out the set by giving me a powerful STAB attack against bulky waters, and giving super effective coverage versus the likes of Celebi, Breloom, and other grass types.

EVs & Nature
156 HP EVs lets Gyarados survive two Life Orb Heatran's Fire Blasts after Stealth Rock. 168 Spe EVs and a Jolly nature outpaces Adamant Breloom before a Dragon Dance, and Timid Jolteon after. The remaining EVs were put into Attack for better sweeping ability.
As King of Atlantis, Aquaman has rule over all water dwellers in the sea with his telepathic powers. Gyarados may not have telepathy, but it does have access to Dragon Dance. This allows it to triumph against other water types with enough boosts, making it king of the seas in OU.
------------

Name: The Flash
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Spe | 252 SpA
  • Substitute
  • Baton Pass
  • Hidden Power Grass
  • Thunderbolt
Set Analyses
Jolteon was the final glue to this team, making a great partner to Gyarados, checking strong water attackers (Suicune, Starmie, Empoleon), and making a great lure to a big Gli-pass threat, Swampert. The combination of Substitute and Baton Pass make Jolteon a great early game Pokemon, scouting switch-ins and passing subs. The use of Hidden Power Grass is limited, but as previously mentioned, very effective at eliminating Swampert from the match, as most opponents either presume that Jolteon is Choiced because of its Expert Belt, or just plain don't expect a SubPass Jolteon to have HP Grass. Thunderbolt is a great STAB attack, hitting everything non-resistant hard from a base 110 SpA stat.

EVs & Nature
EV investment is straightforward. Max SpA allows Jolteon to hit as hard as possible, while Max Spe allows Jolteon to outpace everything in OU bar Jolly Ninjask and Aerodactyl (speed tie).
The Flash is the fastest man alive, able to create massive cyclones by simply running circles around his foes. Not only does Jolteon share this blazing speed, it also manages to run circles around the opposing team by using Substitute to ensure it never gets hit, and Baton Pass to quickly switch out of battle.
------------

Conclusion
High risk, high reward; this team is great change of pace from the standard OU team. With dual screen, yawn, and sub-pass support, it is a relatively easy team to use, as the biggest learning curve would be knowing when to set up Gliscor. I have found it to be a great team to have in my back pocket for the occasional match with a friend and/or tournament play over the years. Admittedly, the strategy has lost a lot of surprise value, but played wisely, it is still hard to stop. I honestly believe it is the best way to utilize Baton Pass without making a full fledge BP Team.

Threatlist

Blue indicates that the Pokemon is not a problem, and can be dealt with fairly easily.

Orange indicates a Pokemon that can potentially be trouble, but can be played around carefully.

Red indicates a problem Pokemon that can either sweep or wall my whole team.

Offensive Threats
----------------
-----
Aerodactyl

• Lead: See Lead Matchups above.

• Physical Attacker: Haven’t seen these at all. Jolteon can OHKO with Thunderbolt if it wins the speed tie, Gyarados can probably handle it after an Intimidate. Reflect would help.
-----
Alakazam

• Encore Lead: U-turn with Uxie on the Signal Beam to break a possible sash, and bring in Jolteon that can finish it off with Thunderbolt or set up a Substitute.
  • Special Sweeper: Not a problem for any team members really. Uxie can even survive a Signal Beam and fire off a U-turn/Yawn. Jolteon revenges.
-----
Azelf

• Nasty Plot : Very frail, so this isn’t finding much time to set up anywhere without getting hit hard. Gyarados with a Dragon Dance, and Gliscor with a Rock Polish, can reliably outspeed and Taunt to stop set up. Jolteon easily revenges.
-----
Breloom

• Scarf Lead: Breloom will usually Spore first turn, unfortunately for them, Lum Berry allows Uxie to take the Spore, and OHKO back with Psychic.

• SubPunch: Not a threat. If Uxie still has Lum Berry it can switch in easily and OHKO with Psychic, Metagross outspeeds and Zen Headbutts, Jolteon Substitutes on a Spore, Gyarados outspeeds, Taunts, and sets up, Gliscor and Azelf can Taunt before any set up.
-----
Dragonite

• Lead: Yawn first turn with Uxie, while it takes 64% - 75.5% from a Life Orb Draco Meteor. Set up Stealth Rock on the second turn, and if Dragonite stays in, I have a -4 SpA sleeping Dragonite to set up on after it kills Uxie.

• Dragon Dance: Doesn’t find time to set up. If it somehow does, I have to rely on a Gyarados Intimidate and go 1 on 1. Jolteon outspeeds even after a Dragon Dance and can do some damage with Thunderbolt. Reflect from Azelf helps here as well.
-----
Dugtrio

• Physical Choice:Set up fodder. Jolteon can set up a Substitute while it lures Dugtrio, and Baton Pass to Gyarados or Gliscor, that can freely set up on an Earthquake. Scarf versions do sometimes keep Metagross from sweeping.
-----
Electivire

• Mixed Attacker: Has the potential to hurt my whole team with its coverage. It usually tries to grab a boost from Jolteon, so scouting with substitute helps. Have to rely on Light Screen and an Azelf Explosion to revenge kill.
-----
Empoleon

• Lead: Hydro pump has a chance to 2HKO Uxie, doing 45.4% - 54%. Yawn first turn, and set up Stealth Rock next turn. Free set up with any Pokemon if it stays in and KOs Uxie.
  • SubPetaya: Luckly, the team doesn’t give it any opportunities to set up. In the odd circumstance it does, its gg, as it can OHKO my whole team (bar Gyarados who can’t do anything back) with a boost. Jolteon revenges if Empoleon doesn’t have an Agility under its belt.
  • Tank: A more annoying Swampert. It slows down Gli-pass (Roar/Ice Beam) and stops Gyarados cold. Both Metagross and Jolteon fail to OHKO with Earthquake and Thunderbolt respectively, but are my best answer.
-----
Flygon

• Physical Choice: Jolteon lures it well. If Banded, Jolteon passes a Substitute to Gliscor/Gyarados for free set up on Earthquake (Substitute will not break on a CB U-turn). If Scarfed, Jolteon cannot pass a Substitute, but previous mentioned members will still get free set up on Earthquake. If it comes in anywhere else, Gyarados/Gliscor take the likely U-turn.
-----
Gengar

• Substitute: Cannot allow it to get substitute up, or it will effectively put a large dent into one of my Pokemon, and slow down my Gli-pass. It’s STAB, typing, and access to Substitute does hamper Azelf's set up a bit. Jolteon outspeeds and revenges with Thunderbolt.
  • Special Attacker: Set up bait for Gliscor if I have screens up (bar the rare HP Ice). Metagross can also win 1 on 1 to an extent. Jolteon revenges.
  • Special Choice: A real problem. STAB Specs Shadow Ball hurts everything on my team badly. A well played Scarfgar is even more of a problem, as it can effectively stop a Metagross sweep with Trick, and can bounce in and out of the whole match with no worries, and Jolteon can no longer outspeed and revenge kill. Good thing these aren’t seen to much anymore.
-----
Gyarados

• Dragon Dance: Jolteon revenges Bulky Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. If it is offensive and lacks Taunt, Azelf and Uxie can survive a +1 Life Orb Waterfall and Reflect/Yawn, respectively to stop a sweep.
  • RestTalk: My own Gyarados walls it. Jolteon can revenge after one Dragon Dance. Reflect from Azelf helps limit damage.
-----
Heatran

• Special Choice: Gyarados is a good initial switch in, as it can set up a Dragon Dance on Scarf versions. Specs leaves a good dent, but is manageable with clever switches. Light Screen from Azelf helps limit damage.
  • Substitute: Like other Substitute users, it does not get the opportunity to set up. Gyarados revenges with Waterfall.
-----
Heracross

• Physical Choice: Gyarados is a good switch in to anything but Stone Edge on both Scarf and Band versions. Uxie and Jolteon outspeed Choice Band Heracross and 2HKO with Psychic and Thunderbolt respectively.
  • Swords Dance: Doesn’t get the opportunity to set up Swords Dance. Revenged the same as Choice Band.
-----
Infernape

• Special-based Mix: Gyarados handles this best. HP Electric could be a problem, but without HP Ice, Gliscor sets up on it pretty easily. Jolteon revenges with Thunderbolt.
  • Choiced Mix: Gyarados still handles these quite well, and can set up multiple Dragon Dances.
  • Nasty Plot: : Again, like most set up sweepers, Infernape cannot reliably set up. Even if it did, Jolteon will not be OHKOd by a +2 Vaccum Wave, and can hit back hard with Thunderbolt.
  • Swords Dance: Same as Nasty Plot.
-----
Jirachi

• Calm Mind: Azelf can Taunt to keep it from accumulating to many Calm Minds, and set up Light Screen. Metagross’ typing and access to Earthquake make it a last resort answer to this set as well.
  • Substitute + Thunder Wave: Jolteon switches in on the Thunder Wave and wins 1 on 1. Gliscor can also attempt to switch in on the T-wave and set up.
-----
Jolteon

• Special Sweeper: Any set with Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Shadow Ball/Filler is a big threat to my team. I have to switch to my own Jolteon to prevent it from getting a Charge Beam boost. If it lacks HP Ice, Gliscor switches in instead and sets up. My best way to go about handling Jolteon is a Metagross Earthquake or a combination of Light screen + Explosion from Azelf.
  • Special Choice: A Specs user is immediately more threatening, but a Scarf user gives Gyarados and my Gli-Pass more problems in the long run. My own Jolteon is usually the first switch in to this, otherwise I have to cleverly switch between my resists (even then it can dry BP to keep momentum...).
-----
Kingdra

• Dragon Dance: Gyarados is the best switch in, negating the attack boost of Dragon Dance while resisting Waterfall. Azelf can also Taunt to keep Kingdra from using Dragon Dance or Substitute, and set up a Reflect.
  • Choice Specs: I don’t have a reliable switch in for Specs users, but Gyarados remains my switch in, since it resists Surf/Hydro Pump. Draco Meteor will 2HKO Gyarados, but the SpA drop allows me free set up next turn after it is KO’d.
-----
Lucario

• Swords Dance: Lucario cannot set up a Swords Dance against most of the team without getting hit hard or Taunted before it can do so. If it somehow manages to set up, Gyarados and Uxie handle it quite well.
  • Choice Mix: Uxie, Azelf, Gliscor, and Gyarados can all set up on a Choice locked Aura Sphere. Switch to a resist on any other moves according to the situation. I Haven't really seen any of these, to be honest.
-----
Machamp

• Substitute + 3 Attacks: Machamp does not get the opportunity to set up Substitute effectively. Besides the obvious DynamicPunch confusion, it isn’t too big of a threat, as every Pokemon with an attack on the team can hit it hard.

• Physical Choice: Gyarados switches in on Close Combat/DynamicPunch and can set up. Uxie still 2HKOs while anything but Payback will fail to 2HKO Uxie in return.
-----
Magnezone

• Steel Killer: Metagross outspeeds and hits with Earthquake before it can Magnet Rise. Uxie Yawns, Azelf Taunts, and Gliscor Taunts (if no HP Ice) before it can Substitute.
  • Special Choice: Gliscor and Jolteon can switch in on a Thunderbolt and get free set up. Gyarados can come in relatively safe on any other attack it has.
-----
Mamoswine

• Endeavor Lead: Uxie easily sets up Stealth Rock and U-turns to Gyarados. Mamoswine is OHKO’d by Waterfall the next turn if it stays in.

• Physical Attacker: Ice Shard threatens the Gli-Pass, but other than that it’s not a threat as Gyarados can come in on anything but Stone Edge and hit hard with Waterfall. As a last resort, Metagross outspeeds and OHKOs with Meteor Mash.
-----
Metagross

• Agiligross: Can hit all of my team with a STAB neutral or super effective attack, however, Azelf stops set up with Taunt and limits damage by setting up Reflect. Uxie can also live a Life Orb Meteor Mash at full health and Yawn to stop a sweep.
  • Physical Choice: The same as Agiligross, but doesn’t need set up, and poses more of a problem to my BP chain with Trick. Just like all other Choice users, I try to hit it hard, make good predictions, and sacrifice intelligently so I can set up on a resisted attack.
-----
Porygon-Z

• Nasty Plot: Porygon-Z is very frail, so the opportunities for it to set up without taking a good amount of damage are very limited. It only sets up on Gliscor and Gyarados without their respective stat boosts. Jolteon outspeeds and revenges with Thunderbolt.

• Special Choice: Specs users are inevitably going to hit something very hard with Tri Attack, so I have to hit Porygon-Z as hard as I can, sacrifice, and bring in Jolteon to threaten it. Scarf users allow me to switch between resists a bit more but can still be a problem late game when my team is weakened. Not many Choice users carry Trick, but this could prove to be a problem as well.
-----
Rhyperior

• Physical Sweeper: Nothing on my team lets this set up, whether it’s Rock Polish, Swords Dance, or a Substitute. Jolteon easily revenge kills with HP Grass, Gyarados can revenge with Waterfall, and Metagross can also revenge with Earthquake.
-----
Scizor

• Swords Dance: Scizor in general is a pain to deal with, because of its typing and my lack of a quick way to deal with it. Gyarados is my standard counter for SD Scizor, intimidating it while resisting its STAB bug and steel attacks. Jolteon also notably survives a +2 Bullet Punch at full health, but can only manage 58.9% - 69.5% Scizor with Thunderbolt at best. Admittedly, these are both shaky checks if Stealth Rock is present or they have taken any prior damage.
  • Choice Band: Usually this switches into Uxie or Azelf and attempts to either Pursuit or U-turn. With a Reflect up, Azelf easily sets up on Pursuit, and is not OHKO’d by U-turn. Otherwise, I am forced to go to Gyarados, take the likely U-turn, and give momentum to my opponent.
-----
Starmie

• Special Attacker The combination of Gyarados and Jolteon handle this well, as most of the time I will double switch from the former to the latter and threaten it with Thunderbolt or set up a Substitute. It is still a big threat however, because in the hands of a good player, it can hit my whole team hard with prediction.
  • Special Choice: Both choice sets are huge pain to deal with. A Specs set with Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Trick can 2HKO everything on the team with Stealth Rock damage, and cause trouble by giving one of my team member an unappreciated Specs. A Scarf set can revenge Gyarados after a Dragon Dance, and also outpace Gliscor/Metagross after a Rock Polish and Trick a Scarf to prevent a Baton Pass or sweep, respectively.
-----
Suicune

• Offensive CM: A slower Starmie that doesn’t get the opportunity to utilize Calm Mind because of all the anti-setup moves on my team. Super effective coverage still hurts, and Suicunes bulk makes it harder to revenge kill. Revenging options are Jolteon, which outspeeds and hits hard with a STAB Thunderbolt, and Azelf, that can set up screens and explode on Suicune if it needs to.
  • CroCune: Gyarados can usually handle this all by itself, since it resists Surf, can Taunt to stop set up and recovery, and then begin to set up for itself. Revenging options remain the same, except Metagross can now outspeed and ThunderPunch in a tight situation.
-----
Togekiss

• Nasty Plot: Cannot set up reliably on my team. Jolteon is my switch in, as it takes a non-boosted Air Slash or Thunder Wave very well. Jolteon then outspeeds it, and hits hard with a STAB super-effective Thunderbolt.
  • Special Choice: See Special Choice Porygon-Z above.
-----
Tyranitar

• Lead: Uxie U-turns to Gyarados first turn. Hopefully it can come in while Tyranitar sets up Stealth Rock, set up a Dragon Dance while Tyranitar fails to OHKO with Stone Edge, and OHKO it back with Waterfall. Metagross is actually a better option if it can come in on Stealth Rock set up, as it can OHKO Leadtar with Meteor Mash, but at the cost of me showing my Baton Pass receiver early.
  • Dragon Dance: Only sets up on Uxie if its hold item is Lum Berry, otherwise, it cannot set up on any other team member. Jolteon outspeeds +1 Jolly Tyranitar after a Dragon Dance, and can manage 47.7% - 56.7% with an Expert Belt boosted Hidden Power Grass.
  • Physical Choice: Comes in for free on Uxie and Azelf and hampers anything they are trying to do with Crunch or Pursuit. The guessing game with the Choice Band/Scarf sets can be annoying, as it is hard to tell what to revenge kill with. Predicting and sacrificing is key when dealing with Tyranitar, as it can do some real damage with Stone Edge.
  • TyraniBoah: Doesn’t get an opportunity to set up Substitute. Gyarados is a good switch in if it lacks Thunderbolt, while Gliscor is a good switch in if it lacks Ice beam. Revenge killed by Gyarados, Jolteon, or Metagross.
-----
Weavile

• Lead: Uxie is not 2HKO’d by Fake Out + Night Slash, so it can Stealth Rock safely, but only if Weavile lacks or does not Taunt. Alternatively, I could go to Gyarados first turn to threaten Weavile with Waterfall and freely set up a Dragon Dance, or Jolteon to threaten with Thunderbolt and freely set up a Substitute.
  • Swords Dance : To frail to set up effectively on my team. Gyarados’ ability and typing makes it a great switch in to SD Weavile, if for some reason it sets up. Jolteon can revenge if Weavile doesn’t have a Swords Dance under its belt.
  • Choice Band : Gyarados remains the best switch in to any Weavile set. Another option is Jolteon, which won’t be OHKO’d by a banded Ice Shard, and can revenge kill with Thunderbolt. A fast STAB Ice Shard and Pursuit make Weavile a big threat to the Gli-Pass strategy, but I have means of countering and revenge killing it.
-----
Yanmega

• Lead: Uxie Stealth Rocks on the Protect. Gyarados switches in next turn, resisting all of Yanmega’s standard attacks, and hits back hard with Waterfall.
  • Choice Specs: This is going to hit something on my team hard, regardless of what I switch in. Getting down Stealth Rock early, sacrificing intelligently, and revenge killing with Jolteon are my best options.

Defensive Threats
-----------------
-----
Blissey

• Special Wall: Blissey with the combination of Ice Beam and Seismic Toss can be somewhat troublesome for set up, but Gliscor and Azelf set up easily on more standard sets. Uxie and Jolteon lure it most of the time, and can U-turn/Baton Pass to ensure they are not walled and keep momentum in my favor.
-----
Bronzong

• Standard Wall: Its typing and high defenses make it troubling to a Metagross sweep, otherwise, its not to much of a problem. Gyarados makes a great switch in, as it doesn’t mind a resisted -1 Gyro Ball. Jolteon substitutes on a Bronzong switch in, and turns it into a set up opportunity for Gyarados by passing a Substitute.
-----
Celebi

• Standard Wall: Gliscor switches in and sets up easily on any version without HP Ice. Gyarados outspeeds, taunts on the Thunder Wave, and sets up a couple of Dragon Dances before finishing Celebi off with Bounce. Uxie hits 4x super-effective with a U-turn.
-----
Cresselia

• Standard Wall: Gyarados can set up on a set without Charge Beam, and hit hard with boosted Waterfalls. Gliscor can set up easily on any set without Ice Beam. Hopefully I can Gli-Pass to Metagross before it comes in.
  • Calm Mind: Reliable set up is very unlikely, as my entire team bar Metagross can outspeed and prevent it from accumulating too many boosts. Even after boosts, Azelf can set up screens and explode to stop it from doing to much damage.
-----
Forretress

• Standard Wall: At the worst, Forretress sets up 1 layer of Spikes on Uxie, before Azelf, Gliscor, or Gyarados switch in, prevent additional layers with Taunt, and begin their respective set up.
-----
Gliscor

• Stall-breaker: Gyarados can switch in safely on an Earthquake, and threaten to 2HKO with Waterfall. Azelf can switch in safely on a set without U-Turn, and begin its own set up worry free, after it taunts.
  • Baton Pass: Azelf and Gyarados outpace and Taunt, rendering this Gliscor useless. Uxie also outspeeds, and can Yawn to ensure it doesn’t pass more than speed boosts.
-----
Hippowdon

• Standard Wall: Gyarados and Azelf switch in easily, Taunt, and then begin their set up. Gliscor can also do the same, but only on sets without Ice Fang.
-----
Rotom-A

• Standard Wall: Easy switch in to predict on entry hazard teams. Gyarados will chip some damage first turn out with Waterfall, then I will switch to Gliscor on the Thunderbolt for easy set up.
-----
Skarmory

• Standard Wall: Gyarados comes in while it Spikes, or attacks with a resisted -1 Brave Bird, taunts Skarmony, then begins to set up on it. Azelf doesn’t enjoy a Brave Bird as much, but can also freely set up after it taunts. Jolteon can Thunderbolt for an OHKO, or set up a Substitute on the switch out.
-----
Snorlax

• Standard Wall: This isn’t setting up against most of my team. If it somehow manages to Curse freely, it is never getting more that one boost because of the 4 anti-setup moves on my team. In return, Azelf, Gliscor, and Gyarados set up fairly easily on it after it has been taunted.
-----
Swampert

• Standard Wall: Usually comes into Jolteon looking to take a Thunderbolt. If Swampert decides to stay in next turn, it is met unkindly by Hidden Power Grass, which has a slight chance of OHKOing with Stealth Rock down. If Swampert is already out, Gyarados switches in easily, taunts, and can set up freely.
  • CursePert: Azelf, Gliscor, and Gyarados can Taunt before Swampert attempts to set up Curse. Jolteon can revenge with HP Grass.
-----
Tentacruel

• Standard Wall: Gyarados sets up on any set without Hidden Power Electric. Wasting a turn using Taunt is not needed, as Jolteon is the only team member affected by Toxic Spikes. Jolteon 2HKOs with Thunderbolt.
-----
Vaporeon

• Standard Wall: Ice Beam and Roar, can shut down Gli-Pass but, most sets don’t run these. Jolteon has a slight chance of OHKOing with Thunderbolt, and is my best option against Vaporeon.
-----
Zapdos

• [*]Standard Wall: Gliscor can switch in on a Thunderbolt, and set up on any set without Hidden Power Ice. Azelf cannot switch in as easily, but can also set up and explode on Zapdos.

• SubRoost: Most of my team prevents Zapdos from setting up a Substitute. If it manages to set up a Substitute, Jolteon switches in on a Thunderbolt, sets up a Substitute on Zapdos Toxic, and Baton Passes to Gliscor for free set up.

Interesting team, and nice sprite recolors.

The big change I see here is that I would go ahead and put SR on Azelf, removing Explosion (you actually don't want to Explode because it gives then the opportunity to bring in a faster Taunt like opposing Gliscor). You really want to just Taunt until they kill you to ensure nothing with a faster Taunt or Trick can come in. I would then change your lead to something that can actually beat the fast Taunt leads. I know someone who has had a fair bit of success leading off with Electrode, which allows him to spread thunder wave on opposing "fast" leads like Aerodactyl for a Baton Pass sweep. You definitely want Taunt and Thunder Wave (which are probably the only attacks you will use on a regular basis), and I would fill out the last 2 slots with a Hidden Power (Grass or Ice) and either Thunderbolt or Protect. Anyway, the basic point here is to cripple opposing leads that typically handle Azelf to ensure that they can't.

Electrode @ Focus Sash
80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe Timid (beats Aero)
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Hidden Power Grass
Thunderbolt / Protect / Whatever

Try that. As you can see there is no Explosion, because you DON'T want something to come in that can Taunt or Trick.

With this lead set you can also check out other options for Jolteon's slot, maybe another sweeper for Gliscor to pass to?

Aaanyway I always hate these teams, so good luck making this work for you.

I like the way you named and coloured (colour is spelt correctly. Queen's English, which you'll use in any nation thats part of the Commonwealth)them, even though the colour isn't 100% with the shiney version. Good work on learning how to do that, I'll give you that.

I took a quick look at the attacks, and I'll admit that I don't have much experience with properly anylizing(spelling?) moves, especially the support types since I tend to go with offensive, but I'd say that this would be pretty good. I can't see to any types that don't have at least one weakness from at least one of them.
I'm impressed with the move set that you've given Metagross, and I'm going have to test it out myself, see if it'll be of use to my team.
In regards to Jolteon, I like that it has the grass type hidden power, since most ground types are dual Ground/Rock, Swampert's lower speed leaves it vulnerable. I like that it can cover its biggest weaknesses, and even draw them out. Expert belt, now that I've tested it after looking at Jolteon and your reasoning behind using it, is now an item I'm now testing on certain members of the team.
Since you've been using this team for a while, did Metagross always have life orb, or was it something added later on, and would you say that the item is worth having despite the fact that it lowers HP each turn? I'm curious about this, since I keep seeing it recommended.

I think that SR > Zen Headbutt would be the way to go here. What does Zen hit harder that MM and everything doesn't, other than Rotom? With SR on Gross, I think that you can get rid of Azelf or Uxie while keeping the other, and utilizing a Dual Screen set. I would personally prefer Uxie as the DS lead, since her bulk actually allows her to survive SE attacks under the appropriate screen.

With Azelf gone, you actually freed up a slot on your team to appropriately deal with several, if not all, threats. Seeing that your team is mainly weak to special attackers, I think that Snorlax would be the best fit to your team, since he benefits from Subs and SD from Jolteon and Gliscor, respectively. The Curse set would definitely be the best option to go here, since Snorlax's SpDef would be able to tank special assaults while Curse will boost you up for assaults from Gross, Scizor, and Ttar. A standard set of

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful, 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
Thick Fat
Rest l Curse l Return l Fire Punch

Fire Punch > Earthquake was to give you an option to actually hit Gengar, and Return hits Pory for neutral, while Fire Punch hits Scizor and Gross. Of course, you still have the Ttar and bulky water problem.

You actually don't have a bulky water problem since you Jolteon, but I think you actually have more of problem with Rotom and Ttar. I would advise you find a way to add Shadow Ball on Jolteon, perhaps over Sub? Or better yet, keep Sub on Jolteon, and even Zen on Metagross (although beware of WoW), and find SR on Uxie:

Reflect l Light Screen l U-Turn l Stealth Rock

That way, you can still have a slight advantage against Rotom and even Tyranitar.

The big change I see here is that I would go ahead and put SR on Azelf, removing Explosion (you actually don't want to Explode because it gives then the opportunity to bring in a faster Taunt like opposing Gliscor). You really want to just Taunt until they kill you to ensure nothing with a faster Taunt or Trick can come in.
On an offensive team like this, Stealth Rock is better left to the lead in my opinion. Also, spamming Taunt will only ensure I waste turns of screens, and taking down a wall with Explosion plus getting a free switch in goes a long way for this team. If something faster than Gliscor were to come in after Explosion, I go to Jolteon/Uxie to take the Trick, and Baton pass/U-turn back to Gliscor to start the Gli-Pass again.

Electrode @ Focus Sash
80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe Timid (beats Aero)
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Hidden Power Grass
Thunderbolt / Protect / Whatever
I like your suggestion of Electrode as a lead, since it can beat fast Taunt leads with the added bonus of still luring out Swampert early. However, this will make me more susceptable to Sleep leads, while also making it harder for me to deal with Trick leads without U-Turn. If i were to replace Electrode with Jolteon, I would also lose an important move in Baton Pass that really helps me get back into my BP chain early, and scout the opposing team.

I will try out Electrode to see how well it works, maybe even with a Lum Berry, or something like Crocune to back it up. Thanks for the great rate Anachronism.

Since you've been using this team for a while, did Metagross always have life orb, or was it something added later on, and would you say that the item is worth having despite the fact that it lowers HP each turn? I'm curious about this, since I keep seeing it recommended.
Life Orb is basically needed to make up the power lost by using a Jolly nature instead of Adamant. If Adamant is used without LO, Metagross misses many OHKOs at +4, and is outpaced by Scarf base 100s. The recoil isn’t a problem, as Metagross usually takes 20%-30% on the switch in; and sweeps within 5-6 turns before its HP runs out. Thanks for your kind words about the sprite "recolours".

This team has swept me more times than I can count, as I recall, however now that I look at it in depth, my immediate thought it, Bulky Rotom-H. Metagross simply cannot win that fight without flinching with Zen Headbutt, and will get wisped due to the lack of lum berry. I suggest that you throw a lum berry DD ttar on the team, because that is rotom bait, it kills rotom, and sandstorm aids your team nicely, since your receiver is steel type and therefore can get a few extra percent each turn. I think this is especially critical since I recall you rarely get +4+2, which when jolly, is what is required to always KO Rotom-h. With sandstorm, if they swap in on you, rocks and sandstorm will be enough to always guarantee the KO.

-Ambi

I think that SR > Zen Headbutt would be the way to go here. What does Zen hit harder that MM and everything doesn't, other than Rotom? With SR on Gross, I think that you can get rid of Azelf or Uxie while keeping the other, and utilizing a Dual Screen set. I would personally prefer Uxie as the DS lead, since her bulk actually allows her to survive SE attacks under the appropriate screen.
Sorry friend, but there is a lot wrong with this paragraph. First of all, Stealth Rock on a Baton Pass recipient isn’t all that smart, I suggest you read the RMT more in detail before making suggestions solely based on the Pokemon. Secondly, Zen Headbutt importantly also hits Swampert / Zapdos for an OHKO at +4, which Earthquake / Meteor Mash will not do. Last, as said in the RMT, Uxie is too susceptible to being phazed/set up on while it itself is setting up, making it more unreliable for this team than Azelf.
About your Snorlax suggestion, while would sure up some of my weaknesses, it is to out of place on a team like this, and I feel it would only sacrifice synergy and strategy by replacing Gyarados with it (which is the only real option). Snorlax doesn’t help Gli-Pass at all, and can easily be phazed away. Anyways, I appreciate the time you put into your rate, thank you.

This team has swept me more times than I can count, as I recall, however now that I look at it in depth, my immediate thought it, Bulky Rotom-H. Metagross simply cannot win that fight without flinching with Zen Headbutt, and will get wisped due to the lack of lum berry. I suggest that you throw a lum berry DD ttar on the team, because that is rotom bait, it kills rotom, and sandstorm aids your team nicely, since your receiver is steel type and therefore can get a few extra percent each turn. I think this is especially critical since I recall you rarely get +4+2, which when jolly, is what is required to always KO Rotom-h. With sandstorm, if they swap in on you, rocks and sandstorm will be enough to always guarantee the KO.
The only form of Rotom this team has a problem with is Scarf Rotom-A with Trick, otherwise, Rotom-A proves to be set up fodder for Gliscor (my fault for not putting it in the Threatlist). It should also be noted that in about 80% of my matches, I manage to pass +4 Atk / +2 Spe to Metagross. Even if I only passed +2 Attack, Metagross still has a 74.36% chance to OHKO standard defensive Rotom-A with Zen Headbutt. I don’t really get the DDtar suggestion, as Rotom rarely wants to switch in to Tyranitar and take it on, or am I missing something? T-tar's sandstorm is a very small plus for my sweeper, but a big minus for everything else on the team but Gliscor, as only Gyarados has Leftovers, but SR + SS really hinder it. I appreciate you trying to fix a Rotom weakness Ambi, but its not a big enough threat to make me change my team around. Thanks for the rate my lil' monkey amigo.

Well, took you long enough bro haha. I gotta say, the sprite recoloring is a pretty cool thing to help match the overall theme of the team. It's very in-depth in terms of the goal and the pokemon to help meet that goal. It's a little unorthodox which is a bonus and I can't find any true threats to the team that you haven't already addressed. Just gotta say props on the RMT cus it's looking very sexy. Well done.

That Jolteon really looks like a flareon.
In fact, I don't think subpass is a good set for jolteon. I'll replace it with signal beam and shadow ball.

Hi Wobz, sorry for the late rate.

This is definitely a rather unique team. Looking it over, I don't see any big problems to address either; you seem to have at least most major threats covered.

I might have one suggestion though. Consider changing your Metagross' EV spread to 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe.

This is just enough speed to outpace base 100's with a Choice Scarf, such as Flygon and Jirachi. I'm not sure if Scarfed Infernape is too common, but if not, the extra bulk can be useful.

Good luck with your team!

Thanks for the rate Faladran. The EVs you mentioned are something I have considered as well since Scarf base 100+ users will not be used nearly as much with Salamence and Latias absent from OU. I will most likely end up using that spread.

As far as the team goes, I am hard pressed to find any other Pokemon that could improve the team without sacrificing strategy. However, I am still looking for better EV spreads for Azelf, and possibly Gyarados' (Bounce is glitched on shoddy).

More rates, opinions, and comments are still encouraged!

Ah, classic stuff, lol. First of all, amazing sprites. As a huge fan of Flash, I approve of Jolteon :3. Have you ever considered swapping the roles of Azelf and Uxie, though? As in, lead Taunt SR with Azelf to stop any early momentum, and then bring Uxie in later to screen up and use Memento? Memento is arguably better than Explosion for getting Gliscor in, because if you KO something with Explosion, your opponent can bring in something that beats Gliscor for free. With Memento, you're guaranteeing that Gliscor comes in on something who is at -2/-2, so it will almost ALWAYS set up. Give it a try! Other than that, I have nothing much to add to this team. It is a fairly straight forward system, and I'm sure it's still as successful as always. Brings me back to mid-DP days when Glispass got really popular.

Edit: Did you create that picture yourself? It's fucking great man! You should consider doing art for Smogon, like for the Smog or something :)

The Flash is my favorite superhero to bro! 10 cool points for you!

At first, the thought of Azelf/Uxie changing roles intrigued me, but in the end, Uxie just allows too much set up, and Azelf as a lead still loses to Scarf sleep leads and also loses utility without Yawn. While Uxie may be bulkier as a screener, it allows faster Substitute users (Jirachi, Gengar), speed boosters (Gyarados, Rhyperior) to set up freely and block themselves from Memento and a Glipass Sweep with Substitute. That being said, I appreciate your rate, and will still try out these sets:

-Azelf @ Focus Sash
Taunt/Stealth Rock/Psychic/U-turn

-Uxie @ Light Clay
Reflect/Light Screen/Psychic/Memento

As far as the artwork, I can only take credit for the sprite recolors in the RMT, a very talented artist in the DA clan offered to draw the header (he did my user pic as well). Mahalo for the rate brother!

Great presentation!

I really think you need more insurance against Sub-Petaya Empoleon. I think Dual screener Magnezone could in the place of Azelf. It has great defensive synergy with Gliscor and it does well against most of the greater threats to your team.

Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP/96 Def/162 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
  • Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Expolsion
  • Thunderbolt

If Magnezone for some reason doesn't work out. I also think that it may be a good idea to switch Azelf's and Uxie's roles. Uxie is extremely bulky and most of the time it will get it's job done, with the exception of faster taunters or against the rare Heracross. Another change is that Earthquake could do well over Taunt on Gyarados or possibly change Gyarados to the LO variant. Other than that It's is a very well constructed team.

Good Luck!

I appreciate the rate SD. While Magnezone can trap and kill Empoleon, its vulnerability to Taunt and ground types make it a sub-par dual screener. SubPetaya Empoleon is not to big of a threat, as all the anti set up moves on the team mean it will fail to set up in almost any situation. In the end, Jolteon proves a better utility pokemon while still being able to check Empoleon, so I won't be making this change.

As far as making Gyarados a more offensive variant, it is definitely something I've considered. Gli-Pass sets up with ease versus stall already, so in theory, Gyarados should be able to run a more offensive set for better coverage, at the cost of lossing effectiveness versus stall. I will be trying to test out this set with a standard 252/252 spread:

Gyarados @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Earthquake

I have limited time for laddering now that classes have started, so anyone still testing this team, feel free to try out this change to see if the team still plays effectively!

I agree with Phil. Switch up Azelf and Uxie for what roles they have on the current team. Azelf is faster and has access to Taunt, preventing entry hazards from being set up early game. With Dual Screen support, you can also possibly set up a sweep with Gliscor - Metagross instantly as opposed to waiting to get Azelf in safely later on in the game.

Uxie has an important move in Memento which you aren't currently utilizing. Memento almost always forces a switch, which results in either a Swords Dance or Rock Polish for Gliscor, depending on the situation. Switch up their roles like mentioned.

The last thing you have trouble with is fast special attackers, like Life Orb Starmie, Life Orb Gengar with Substitute, etc. Although Jolteon can come in and revenge-kill, I feel like you'd have much better success with simply killing these threats outright. I'd run Snorlax in that last slot over Jolteon with a Choice Band. If you set up the Gliscor - Metagross pass, all bulky waters barring Swampert are hit hard by Thunderpunch anyway. I'd much rather you remove the fast special attackers like Starmie that threaten this strategy the most. Pursuit will be of major help to dispose of everything quickly. Although you lose out on Selfdestruct, CB Returns hurt as well.

In regard to your first two paragraphs, the only problem I had with Uxie as a dual screener beforehand was that anything faster than it could come in and set up a Substitute. However, I found that by using Psychic over U-turn, this problem is remedied to a degree, allowing Uxie to Memento safely. I am very much leaning towards this change.

In regard to the last paragraph, Pursuit trapping is something I considered for these threats, but I found it is too vulnerable to set up. If something like Empoleon were to set up an Agility on a Snorlax CB Pursuit, my entire team gets swept easily. The whole reason I chose Jolteon is to lure out Swampert and kill it off, as well as have a fast Pokemon that can revenge kill without a Scarf. The GyaraJolt combo gives me a powerful duo that can take out a good amount of teams outside of Gli-Pass. In the situations you mentioned, Jolteon may not trap and kill said threats like Snorlax can, but instead, forces the opposition to make a choice: allow Jolteon to kill them off with Thunderbolt, or allow Jolteon to set up a Substitute as they switch out, and Baton Pass back into the chain. It is pseudo-trapping in a way, and is something that has worked many times for me, so I am reluctant to get rid of it.

Your rate was very helpful TOF, and I appreciate the time you put into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)