Bronztilldolite2erior? A Trick Room Team

Introduction
I was looking at new Pokémon and found one of particular interest, Shubarugo. It has huge base attack, but only 20 base speed. I was thinking of ways to incorporate that kind of Pokémon, and Trick Room came to mind. I decided to make a Trick Room team for DP to try and get a handle on the ins and outs of Trick Room now, so I’d have an advantage later. I've never run a team in the Trick Room environment before, so I looked over a lot of different teams past and tried to create a working strategy here.

Somehow, despite this being my first Trick Room team, it seems that I've become enamored with the environment and now find myself attempting to perfect this risky and underrated strategy.

The concept of this team is that there are three Trick Room users and three sweepers. They would typically alternate in battle in order to keep Trick Room running and get maximum attack effectiveness. That said, I also tried to get each member to do some sort of double-duty.

Of course, as with most Trick Room teams, the major issues are:

1. Making sure Trick Room gets used consistently.
  2. Covering enough types with a more limited team.
The main goal of a Trick Room team like this is to foster synergy between all of the Trick Room users and all of the sweepers; the Trick Room users have to be able to work with the sweepers' movesets and styles and vice versa.

I hope to have fostered this synergy and covered the two issues I mentioned above. Additionally, I hope to have gotten enough type coverage in my team--no easy feat with a Trick Room team, as you essentially have to cover all the types twice (once defensively amongst your Trick Room users and once offensively among your sweepers). If there's any way you think I could have done any of this better, let me know. I'm taking all advice. After all, I'm trying to perfect the Trick Room strategy.

This team definitely has struggled covering all types, but effective usage has helped overcome that.

The Team

Needless to say, every member of this team has 0 Spe IVs / EVs.
[box]

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Heatproof / Relaxed
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
Bronzong is an excellent choice as a lead for this team because it offers up not only much-needed resistances against 8 types, but the ability to choose an additional immunity or resistance and the reliability to get down Trick Room when it's most necessary. While Bronzong can serve as a suicide lead, I often find myself switching it out instead of simply exploding, and letting it come back to set up Trick Room again and then explode later in the game. Bronzong's a good lead in any battle due not to its speed but its reliability, but once Trick Room gets down it becomes not only one of the most reliable leads, but one of the fastest Pokémon in the game.

Move Analysis:
Trick Room on my lead is self-explanatory; that's it's number one purpose. If all else fails, Bronzong has to get down Trick Room or it's wasted space.
Stealth Rocks is accessory; icing on the cake. If possible, Stealth Rocks goes down, but only after Trick Room.
Gyro Ball is absolutely massive offensively, getting STAB bonus and typically full 150 base power. Gyro Ball gets used if my opponent uses a Taunt lead, or before Explosion if I know my opponent has Protect.
Explosion is a great move for this particular Bronzong, letting it take out one of my opponent's Pokémon and give me a free switch-in to a sweeper (usually Marowak) with lower defenses.

VS. Other Leads (no calcs):
Aerodactyl: Gyro Ball on the taunt; OHKO or THKO at worse. Set up from there.
Azelf: Similar to Aerodactyl. Usually a THKO, though.
Bronzong: Awkward. Usually set up Stealth Rocks and then Trick Room the next turn, so if they do Trick Room for me on the first turn I can toss out Marowak and Fire Punch.
Gengar: Much rarer now than it once was. Try Trick Room first, hoping Hypnosis misses. From there, Gyro Ball if it doesn’t switch out.
Heatran: Very troublesome. STAB Fire Blast can hurt, but thanks to Heatproof should be survivable. It’s most important, in this instance, to get out Trick Room and explode if possible.
Infernape: Heatproof comes in handy once again, which is why I prefer it on a lead than Levitate. Methods are similar from there. Trick Room is the most important at that point.
Jirachi: Trick Room, Stealth Rocks, switch or explode.
Mamoswine: A Gyro Ball can OHKO it (bar Focus Sash), then set up as usual: Trick Room, Stealth Rocks, etc. If it has Focus Sash, Stealth Rocks handles it later on.
Metagross: Metagross aims to Explode, so let it. Just get Trick Room down first, then Stealth Rocks if possible. Bronzong will get taken out, but it would have to Explode on Metagross anyways.
Swampert: Bronzong loses out every time. Luckily, most Swampert leads wouldn’t try and waste an Earthquake on Bronzong, so there may be time to get out Trick Room and then explode.
Tyranitar: Now unpopular. Trick Room, Stealth Rocks, switch to something faster than it. Explode if necessary.

[/box]
[box]

Octillery @ Wave Incense
Sniper / Quiet
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
Octillery is usually my first sweeper on the field, mostly because it's reliable to switch in. Octillery makes short work of opposing Swampert, who outlast Bronzong every time, and can handle the likes of Tyranitar, Flygon, and Dragonite with ease. Opponents rarely estimate Octillery's wide breadth of attack coverage, and hardly ever switch out, giving me the ability to exploit Octillery's Expert Belt fully.

Move Analysis:
Water Spout is the first attack Octillery should ever get off, resisting Pokémon notwithstanding. At full health, it has 150 Base Power, making it analogous to a Gyro Ball from Bronzong--but from an offensively-oriented Pokémon. Add in 3x super effectiveness on good predictions, and it's a guaranteed OHKO.
Surf is mostly for cleanup after Water Spout becomes useless, which can happen quickly if entry hazards get involved.
Energy Ball is my first check for those pesky Water-types that plague this team. It usually handles all with 1-2 hits, bar particularly bulky varieties of Vaporeon and Gyarados.
Ice Beam is to handle Dragon-types, none of which are particularly problematic to this team, but who can get annoying with their abundance of resistances.
[/box]
[box]

Claydol @ Leftovers
Levitate / Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Trick Room
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion
Claydol is the second Trick Roomer, chosen for its ability to reliably switch in and lay down Trick Room more than once in a battle. Claydol is bulky defensively, and therefore can usually clear the field of entry hazards as well. Claydol finds its niche in being able to both set up Trick Room, Rapid Spin, and act as a viable attacker if need be.

Move Analysis:
Trick Room is self-explanatory, and Claydol can typically get it off reliably. It's not the end of the world if Claydol doesn't, but it's very rare that is the case; only on a bad prediction does it happen.
Rapid Spin comes into play here, getting rid of entry hazards that can really limit Marowak's longevity or the strength of Octillery's Water Spout, athough Octillery generally makes it out before Claydol.
Earthquake rears its head here, because what team doesn't have Earthquake? STAB Earthquake from Claydol has OHKO'd Magnezone and Scizor with ease, and is its standby move.
Explosion here does exactly what it does for Bronzong; it gets the Trick Room user out of the way while taking an opponent with it. This allows Octillery or Marowak, to switch in for free and start tearing apart my opponents.
[/box]
[box]

Marowak @ Thick Club
Rock Head / Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- ThunderPunch
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch
Marowak is without a doubt the most powerful dedicated sweeper of this team, able to almost reliably OHKO every turn Trick Room is set up, even against Blissey. This makes it a favorite to work with conjunction to Bronzong or Claydol: set up Trick Room, get out of the way, let Marowak run through 3-4 of my opponent's Pokémon. Marowak is extremely rare in OU, so its varied moveset is generally underestimated by my opponents, which lets Marowak shrugs off Water- and Grass-type counters. Moreover, Marowak's 568 Attack stat means it can rip apart basically any of my opponent's Pokémon in the Trick Room environment.

Move Analysis:
Thunderpunch allows Marowak to reliably shrug off offensively-oriented Water counters, and do ~50-75% of damage to bulky Water-types.
Earthquake with STAB returns here, but through Marowak's attack stat it's almost incomparable with Claydol's. Earthquake rips through Scizor and Heatran with impunity.
Double-Edge with STAB and no recoil can OHKO pretty much any Pokémon that doesn't resist, and make short work of Blissey, especially if Stealth Rocks are still in place.
Fire Punch lets Marowak handle Grass-type counters and Special Defense oriented Skarmory that might cause it trouble otherwise.
[/box]
[box]

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Trace / Quiet
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpA
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
Porygon2 finds its niche as both a Trick Room user and an attacker, moreso than the other two Trick Roomers. Porygon's wide variety of moves and ability to instantly heal itself make it a viable and self-sufficient option for sweeping if need be, not needing to rely on other team members to set up Trick Room for it. BoltBeam coverage has almost no counters, and Porygon2's ability to trace an opponent's ability comes in especially handy against Intimidate users like Gyarados or Water Absorbers like Vaporeon.

Move Analysis:
Trick Room is, once again, self-explanatory.
Recover helps extend Porygon2's usefulness as a Trick Room user, letting it set up Trick Room and then self-heal as a counter switches in. Porygon2 is extremely hard to OHKO, so it is usually able to get a Recover off while it's out.
Thunderbolt gives more much-needed coverage against bulky Water-types, especially Gyarados, and in combination with Recover helps slowly-but-surely take out bulkier, defensively-oriented Vaporeon as Porygon2 out-bulks and out-attacks them.
Ice Beam rounds out Porygon2's moveset with some useful coverage against Dragon-types. Alongside Thunderbolt, only a small handful of Pokémon resist Porygon2's attacks.
[/box]
[box]

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Inner Focus / Quiet
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- ExtremeSpeed
Dragonite is arguably my most varied sweeper, with its ability to attack in or out of the Trick Room environment and still give my opponents trouble. The good thing about Dragonite is not only its varied moveset, but also that any counters to it essentially get the finger inside of Trick Room. Dragon-type counters rely on their speed to KO Dragonite, and counters harboring Ice-type become obvious as they switch in and can be well-handled by one of Dragonite's moves. Dragonite's many resistances also help it switch in with relative ease outside of Trick Room, take out a threat to one of the Trick Room users, and let them switch in and set up the environment.

Move Analysis:
Superpower is one of my least favorite moves in the entire metagame, because I hate how it basically requires you to switch out after one usage. However, it brings some much-appreciated coverage to this team, and it has come in handy to OHKO a few opponents, namely Tyranitar, and can make short work of Blissey.
Draco Meteor gets STAB bonus and is super-effective against Dragon-types, and is still devastating against any opponent that might give me trouble elsewhere on the team.
Flamethrower handles Grass-type threats like Shaymin with ease, and also OHKOs Scizor, Forretress, and opposing Bronzongs who might otherwise stall out my Trick Room.
ExtremeSpeed is useful late- and mid-game, when it is no longer easy or viable to set up Trick Room. This is what makes Dragonite so essential to this team; it can attack in or out of the Trick Room environment and still be devastating to the opponent. Priority helps it pull through when Dragonite might elsewhere fail.
[/box]

Threat Checklists
I dissected both of the lists conveniently arranged and stuck to the RMT forum. Names in red are major threats; leave a reply if you have a way to deal with them.
[box]- Offensive Threats
Azelf: Not a big problem for this team as a whole. U-Turn gets annoying. No OHKO way to handle this, but it can be done in 2-3.
Breloom: Easily taken care of by Dragonite or Marowak. SubPunching gets annoying, but can be dealt with.
Celebi: Similar to Breloom; Dragonite or Marowak can OHKO it.
Dugtrio: Octillery can OHKO. If Arena Trapped, any team member can handle it one way or another.
Electivire: Claydol is immune to Electric attacks and Earthquake, can in return use Earthquake to KO it. Watch out for Cross Chop.
Empoleon: Pretty uncommon, but a definite threat. Superpower, Earthquake, and Thunderpunch are viable attacks.
Flygon: Not difficult to handle. Octillery, Dragonite, and Porygon have all OHKO’d one at some point.
Gengar: Ghost-types are some trouble. Nothing super-effective here, but a well-predicted Marowak (read: anything but Double-Edge) can hit it hard.
Glisgor: Some attacks are annoying. Octillery handles this pretty well.
Gyarados: Annoying, but doable. Depends on the team member out at the time; enough Electric-type attacks on my team can handle this.
Heatran: Easily beaten by an Earthquake or by Octillery. Not much of a threat here.
Heracross: Doable. Flamethrower from Dragonite or Fire Punch from Marowak can usually OHKO.
Infernape: Taken care of by Octillery or Earthquake from Marowak or Claydol.
Jirachi: Tough to handle, but Marowak or Dragonite can sometimes OHKO.
Kingdra: Needs Draco Meteor to defeat. If Dragonite isn’t out, under Trick Room, and ready, can be a huge problem.
Lucario: Earthquaked into oblivion. If not, Dragonite can Flamethrower.
Machamp: Usually seen as a lead. Bronzong can OHKO with Earthquake or at least hurt with Gyro Ball.
Magnezone: Very easily handled with Earthquake.
Mamoswine: Explodes on Gyro Ball contact. Pretty much any team member can handle it.
Metagross: Earthquake or Fire Punch is my best bet here. Not terribly problematic.
Ninjask: Taken care of pretty easily by Fire Punch, Flamethrower, Thunderpunch, or Thunderbolt. Substitutes get really annoying, but it’s decimated in Trick Room.
Porygon-Z: Superpower from Dragonite does well.
Rhyperior: Cries when Octillery shows up to the party. Cries more when Porygon2 gangs up on it as well.
Roserade: Handled by any variety of Ice- and Fire-type moves on my team.
Rotom-A: Tough one. Typically a THKO, but with nothing super effective and no OHKO’s to be had.
Scizor: Typically beaten by any variety of moves on my team.
Snorlax: Tough but not impossible. Best bet is Superpower or letting Marowak have its way with it.
Starmie: Tough again, but THKO’d by Porygon’s Thunderbolt, perhaps better with Marowak’s Thunder Punch.
Suicune: Very bulky and hard to deal with. Thunderpunch is the best bet, as my strongest Electric-type attack, but it has to be done in the Trick Room environment or Suicune will make short work of my team.
Togekiss: OHKO’d by Thunderpunch.
Tyranitar: OHKO’d by Water Spout.
Weavile: Rare but difficult. Fire Punch or Superpower are best bets. More easy if Trick Room is up.
Yanmega: Speed Boost ability shoots Yanmega in the foor with Trick Room up. Any variety of moves can take it out.
Zapdos: Once again, Trick Room solves most of this problem. Nothing super-effective, but can be Earthquaked on Roost or taken out easily after Stealth Rock damage.

Defensive Threats:
Blissey: Taken care of by a Superpower from Dragonite or, well, anything from Marowak.
Bronzong: Definitely a threat, even though I have one; best bet is Fire Punch, Heatproof notwithstanding, or full-power Water Spout.
Celebi: Taken care of easily with Flamethrower or Fire Punch.
Cradily: Rare, handled by Ice Beam, Gyro Ball, or Superpower.
Cresselia: No real counter. That said, not much of a threat. Taken care of with relative ease...after about 7-8 turns.
Crobat: Ruined by Trick Room, then Fire Punch or Flamethrower do the rest.
Donphan: Octillery makes it shake with fear. Bronzong can explode if necessary.
Drapion: Earthquake handles this pretty well.
Dusknoir: Tough to deal with. Best choice is a good strong 1x-effectiveness attack from Marowak or Octillery during Trick Room.
Empoleon: Discussed in offensive threats as well. Earthquake is the best option.
Forretress: Dealth with swiftly by Flamethrower or Fire Punch.
Gliscor: Ice Beam does the job relatively well. Anything by Octillery can handle it.
Hariyama: No real counter, and Hariyama laughs at the Trick Room environment. Best bet is full-power Water Spout or Earthquake from Marowak.
Heatran: Discussed in offensive threats. Earthquake or Octillery can do the job.
Hippowdon: Octillery, once again.
Jirachi: Discussed in offensive threats. Flamethrower or Fire Punch do okay, and have OHKO’d it before.
Latias: Draco Meteor or Ice Beam are the best bets; fortunately, Trick Room is quite unkind to Latias.
Ludicolo: Faints of its own awkwardness. Who the hell designed Ludicolo in the first place?
Machamp: Discussed in offensive threats. Can be exploded upon or hit with a full-power Water Spout.
Magnezone: Discussed in offensive threats. Earthquake OHKOs.
Mesprit: No real counter. Full-power Water Spout or Double-Edge do the job.
Metagross: Discussed in offensive threats. Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Fire Punch are all viable options.
Milotic: Octillery’s Energy Ball or a good Thunderpunch do the trick. Still tough to deal with.
Miltank: Very rare. Superpower should do the job pretty well.
Porygon2: Superpower does the job. If two Porygon2s battle, is it like when you look in a mirror facing another mirror and see into infinity? Do they keep Trace going forever?
Regirock: Water Spout Murder Party.
Registeel: STAB Earthquake from Marowak should do it.
Rhyperior: Discussed in offensive threats. Octillery has no problem with this.
Rotom-A: Discussed in offensive threats. Takes a few hits. Still beatable.
Salamence: Now banned. Outclassed entirely by Dragonite if Trick Room is up.
Scizor: Discussed in offensive threats. Any variety of ways to handle Scizor are on my team.
Shaymin: From experience, Flamethrower or Fire Punch can OHKO.
Shuckle: Does anyone actually use Shuckle? Any of my Rock-, Steel-, and Water-type attacks should suffice after a few turns.
Skarmory: Discussed in offensive threats. Flamethrower does the trick.
Slaking: Nobody uses Slaking. It’s broken in the bad way. Superpower might be able to handle it.
Slowbro: Definite threat. Thunderpunch or Thunerbolt are good options. Trick Room actually helps Slowbro out, unfortunately.
Snorlax: Discussed in offensive threats. Superpower, full-power Gyro Ball, Water Spout, and STAB Earthquake are the hardest hitting.
Spiritomb: No weaknesses. Once again, the hard-hitting attacks do well: Gyro Ball, Water Spout, Earthquake.
Starmie: Discussed in offensive threats. A threat, but not a big one. THKO’d by Thunderbolt.
Suicune: Discussed in offensive threats. Best bets are Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, and ThunderPunch; Trick Room is a big help here.
Swampert: Almost impossible. If Octillery can’t get off an Energy Ball, the whole team is doomed here.
Tentacruel: Thunderbolt and ThunderPunch here.
Togekiss: Discussed in offensive threats. Thunderbolt and ThunderPunch again.
Tyranitar: Discussed in offensive threats. Any variety of moves can take it out: Water Spout, Surf, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, etc.
Umbreon: Frightening but not impossible. Superpower is a good bet.
Vaporeon: Needs to go extinct. Someone help me out here. (Can I like make this red and bold it and underline it and italicize it all at once, or is that too much?)
Walrein: Rare. Pops like a balloon if Gyro Ball gets used.
Weezing: Not impossible. Marowak is a good bet here, especially in Trick Room. They still have a secret grudge left from RBY, like in Kill Bill or something.
Zapdos: No real counter, but with Stealth Rocks out and Trick Room up, it’s not a threat.
[/box]

Team Options / Alternates
I've included this team as a link for download below, and anyone who wants to use it is welcome to. That said, there are a few different versions of this team you can use, but you'll have to prepare them yourself. These options come without a move analysis.
[box]- First Option: Exeggutor

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll / Quiet
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Sp.A
-Trick Room
-Leaf Storm
-Sleep powder
-Explosion
This Exeggutor, as proposed by Thunda-Moo, takes the place of Claydol above and cures this team's issues with bulky Water-type Pokémon like Vaporeon. Like Claydol and Bronzong, it can reliably set up Trick Room and then get out of the way, or it can stay in and handle a few threats if need be. That said, Exeggutor's typing is pretty terrible, Sleep Powder is unreliable, and you lose a Rapid Spinner when putting this in the team. Plus, a lot of Water-types are packing Ice-type moves. It's a bit of a lose-lose situation; have a trouble with Water-types or lose a Rapid Spinner.

- Second Option: Magnezone

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull / Quiet
120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Atk

- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Ice (64)
- Explosion
This Magnezone replaces Dragonite on the team as a late- to mid-game sweeper to function when Trick Room is on or off. Magnezone seems like a good alternative to handle bulky Water-types, with STAB Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon. However, most Water-types flee Magnezone, who can easily be OHKO'd by an Earthquake. The only way Magnezone can really function on this team effectively is as a last ditch effort to clear the field of Water-types, as it's forced to rely on sweeping them when they're the only thing left. Magnezone's type coverage is pretty horrible, and three exploders on one team is a bit drastic; unless they're Trick Room users, there is no point in sacrificing half your team. You could try and fit Magnezone in elsewhere, but you either lose a Trick Room user or have only one really slow Trick Room sweeper, at which point you might as well put together an entirely different, non-Trick Room team.

- Third Option: Breloom

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal / Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
Like Magnezone, Breloom would take the place of Dragonite. Breloom does a relatively good job taking care of bulky Water-types, but can be somewhat of a tough fit here. Too fast for really good Trick Room effectiveness, but too slow to work outside the environment, it has to rely on Spore and Substitute here more than ever; Dragonite, in a similar speed position, has higher defenses and access to a good-fitting priority move. It does an adequate job with STAB Seed Bomb and STAB Focus Punch, but can be a bit inferior to Dragonite, especially in type coverage. All-in-all, Breloom is definitely your best option here, and if you're planning on building a new Trick Room team based on this model, that's where I'd start.
[/box]

Team Development

I started out by looking at members of my general OU team, and I picked Bronzong and Scizor as potential Trick Room teammates, knowing they work pretty well together. I converted Bronzong to a lead position by adding Trick Room and Stealth Rocks and simply moved around the EVs on Scizor to remove Speed.

I added in Claydol and Porygon2 next, after looking at a lot of different Trick Room users. I chose them mostly for type coverage, with Bronzong primarily offering Steel, Claydol Ground, and Porygon2 a variety of attacks.

Next, I added in Tyranitar and Marowak as sweepers, having used Tyranitar before with Ninjask and being a huge fan of a speedier Tyranitar.

Something didn’t really sit well here with type coverage--there was too much Rock/Ground, and any alternative types like Scizor weren't working as I wanted. I replaced Marowak with Octillery and Scizor with Dragonite, as Octillery had a good variety of moves and Dragonite could function elegantly in and out of Trick Room better than a forced-slow Scizor.

For added punch I added Rhyperior in place of Tyranitar, although they offered similar type coverage. Rhyperior was slower and stronger than Tyranitar, and seemed like a better option.

Finally, I replaced Rhyperior with Marowak for much the same reason I replaced Tyranitar with Rhyperior. More Attack power and more type coverage came with Marowak, even if I risked Defenses.
*I mixed up the order to put Dragonite towards the end as it functions primarily late-game. This is purely aesthetic for this post.

Team Edits
Any changes I make due to your suggestions will be labeled in blue above. (Red reminds me of being graded on tests. Ick.) Additionally, I'll acknowledge any contributions that I use here.
[box]Switched Leftovers for Lum Berry on Bronzong, as per Thunda-Moo's suggestion.
Switched Rhyperior back to Marowak, also on Thunda-Moo's suggestion.
Swapped out Dragonite's Roost for ExtremeSpeed, also because of Thunda-Moo.
Switched Psychic for Explosion, because Thunda-Moo keeps helping.
Special thanks go out to Wynought as well, for fostering discussion and getting me to try new things (even if I didn't use any of them, it's very much appreciated).
Wynought also suggested Magnezone and Breloom, both under the Team Options heading.
Traded out Expert Belt for Wave Incense on Thunda-Moo's suggestion.
[/box]

Conclusion
Thanks in advance for reading about and rating my team! Once again, I welcome any advice or criticism.

Download
Download this team as a Team Builder file for Shoddy Battle / Pokélab here. Test it out, have fun with it, make changes, whatever. You're welcome to it. I keep this link current with this thread; if a suggestion hasn't been updated above, it won't be in the file and vice versa.

Woah! That's what I'm talking about!

I love trick room and especially Octillary (as you can see with my assistance on this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81901. You could probably learn a bit from the discussions on that team as well.) I also am in love with Porygon-2, so right off the bat you're on my happy list. Good show!

Give Bronzong a lum berry. This allows it to beat Lead Machamp 100% or the time:
Machamp used Dynamicpunch! Bronzong become confused! Bronzong's lum berry cured its confusion!
Bronzong used Trick Room! Bronzong twisted the dimensions!
Bronzong used explosion! Foe Machamp fainted!

Assuming Machamp doesn't switch out he's dead and you have a free switch-in. Without focus sash (which machamp leads don't usually run) explosion overkills him, no trouble.

Obviously, the same strategy works vs. sleep leads, uncommon though they may be.

Against users of taunt, gyro ball deals absurd damage to all the common taunt leads due to their speed. Bronzong is a great choice for a lead.

I would recommend Marowak over Rhyperior. Max attack brave Rhyperior reaches 416 attack, and with life orb that rockets to 541.

Thick club brave marowak has 568 attack, no LO recoil, access to swords dance, as well as the elemental punches, STAB earthquake, and so forth. You're losing out on megahorn, but hey, who likes inaccurate moves anyway? You can aslo see a moveset dissucion about marowak in the TR team I linked you above.

Be careful with swords dancers in TR, though: after the trick, the switch and the dance, you have only two turns to actually do things in.

Good luck, and keep trick room alive!

Thanks for the reply! Soon I'll be turning tricks like never before.

Give Bronzong a lum berry. This allows it to beat Lead Machamp 100% or the time:
Machamp used Dynamicpunch! Bronzong become confused! Bronzong's lum berry cured its confusion!
Bronzong used Trick Room! Bronzong twisted the dimensions!
Bronzong used explosion! Foe Machamp fainted!

Assuming Machamp doesn't switch out he's dead and you have a free switch-in. Without focus sash (which machamp leads don't usually run) explosion overkills him, no trouble.

Obviously, the same strategy works vs. sleep leads, uncommon though they may be.

Against users of taunt, gyro ball deals absurd damage to all the common taunt leads due to their speed. Bronzong is a great choice for a lead.
Thanks for the tip about the Lum Berry! Bronzong is on my other OU team and I'm so used to using him one way that I didn't quite convert it fully into the different role. My bad, really.

I would recommend Marowak over Rhyperior. Max attack brave Rhyperior reaches 416 attack, and with life orb that rockets to 541.

Thick club brave marowak has 568 attack, no LO recoil, access to swords dance, as well as the elemental punches, STAB earthquake, and so forth. You're losing out on megahorn, but hey, who likes inaccurate moves anyway? You can aslo see a moveset dissucion about marowak in the TR team I linked you above.
Once again, thanks for the tip! I had Rhyperior in mostly because of Megahorn, as I don't really have any way to deal with Dark- and Psychic-types. That said, with the added attacking power, those types may not be as much of an issue. Plus, on a Trick Room team, you really can't afford to miss.

The Marowak I'd use is:
[box]

Marowak @ Thick Club
Rock Head / Brave
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- ThunderPunch
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch[/box]
I got rid of Substitute because it's not particularly great in a Trick Room team, wasting valuable time, and with Marowak outpacing, well, everyone in the environment it shouldn't be as much of an issue. Plus, like Swords Dance (which I'll mention in a second), it gets nullified too quickly to be of any real help. That said, I am always willing to reconsider if I get a good reason. Anyone's thoughts on running Substitute are welcome.

Be careful with swords dancers in TR, though: after the trick, the switch and the dance, you have only two turns to actually do things in.
Swords Dance is a great move, but I agree that in the Trick Room environment the move becomes burdensome. Swords Dance eats up a turn and its effects are nullified when you invariably have to switch out a sweeper to set Trick Room up again.

Thanks a ton for the advice! I'll implement your changes and update the original post accordingly.

I've never tried a Trick Room team before this one, but it's a very compelling strategy. Thanks for the link to the other thread--I had already read through the team, but not a lot of the replies.

Well...

Dark types will be a bother to your team. Or at least one will.

Swords dance Absol, at +2, OHKO's your whole team bar Bronzong and Porygon 2 after stealth rock damage with sucker punch most of the time. (Marowak has a chance to survive and always survives without SR.) You probably won't fight Swords dance Absol, but you'd better hope you haven't blown up Bronzong if you do!

However, in that situation, megahorn would hurt you more than help you because earthquake OHKOs anyway, and Megahorn might miss. Also, you have a spinner, and without SR Dragonite survives too. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

What is Absol doing in OU?

It's not even common enough in UU, no need to alter your team to "counter" an Absol. I'm really liking this team by the way. Always been a fan of TR teams. The only things worth mentioning is why not opt for Flamethrower > Water Spout to nail Jirachi and Skarmory. The thing with Water Spout is with Sandstorm being common and residual damage from Entry Hazards, which Bronzorg can't prevent, Water Spout will become useless fast.

Can I also suggest you add a Choice Scarf user to handle late game threats when Trick Room is down, and out. Like Flygon. It would sincerely help as none of your "sweepers" can work effectively outside of a Trick Room. Maybe add a Machamp? As it is relatively slow, powerful and works effectively when Trick Room is out. Trick Room is unfortunately easily stalled out. It'd be worth considering.

Well...

Dark types will be a bother to your team. Or at least one will.
I've been worried that I'm not getting enough attack coverage for the Psychic / Dark / Ghost area of typings, but I agree with Wynought. Absol's not common enough to really fret over. Plus, Swords Dance gets me a hit in and if Trick Room is up I'll be moving faster, which leaves me at worst a THKO.

Other Darks shouldn't be a problem, with two of the most popular being Tyranitar and Umbreon; Tyranitar has enough checks in Octillery and, well, everywhere else, and Umbreon isn't offensive enough to threaten me offensively. It could easily stall out a Trick Room, though, so I've got to be wary of that.

Can I also suggest you add a Choice Scarf user to handle late game threats when Trick Room is down, and out. Like Flygon. It would sincerely help as none of your "sweepers" can work effectively outside of a Trick Room. Maybe add a Machamp? As it is relatively slow, powerful and works effectively when Trick Room is out. Trick Room is unfortunately easily stalled out. It'd be worth considering.
That's the idea behind Dragonite: serving double purpose as a Trick Room sweeper and still able to hold its own outside the environment. I understand that I could benefit from another Pokémon like that, but I just don't see where they could fit in. I'd have to remove a Trick Room user, at which point I might as well not have any, or I'd have to replace one of the sweepers. The type coverage presently is good, and the only viable option for replacement type-wise there would be Marowak, who I've managed to OHKO four members of my opponent's teams with. I'm just not sure how viable getting a Machamp in would be.

Good point on Flamethrower. I will consider it, as I think two water moves on that one Pokemon are a bit redundant. That said, Jirachi and Skarmory could be pretty easily taken care of by a Flamethrower from Dragonite, and to a lesser extent a Flame Punch from Marowak.

Jirachi and Skarmory can also be taken care of by water spout, but on my Octillary I use flamethrower anyway so whatever floats your boat!

Note I did acknowledge that you prbably won't fight Swords Dance Absol, and therefore isn't really too big of a threat. That said, you're wrong about how to deal with Absol: if your foe is smart they'll send out him (or any other swords dancer) as you send out a trick roomer after trick room just let out. Then they'll stat up while you twist dimensions. The thing that makes absol so threatening is Sucker Punch: priority moves go first even in trick room, so you won't be going first against him. But yeah, you don't have to worry too much as pretty much any of your sweepers can OHKO him.

We can and should ignore Absol now.

Lucario could be a jerk too with Extremespeed, but you have earthquake so he can suck it.

Zachary is right in going for a slow Pokemon that functions outside of TR rather then a scarfer like Flygon, who would be 100% useless in trick room.

In Dragonite's case, though, I would give it extremespeed over roost. If you have spare turns to roost with, you're playing trick room wrong! More importantly, extremespeed allows dragonite to clean house out of TR as well, picking off foes that don't get OHKOs.

Machamp is great in trick room, but in my humble opinion Breloom is better, if only because of Spore. But Zach is right in that there's no reason to switch out a current member.

Breloom is an odd one. It's on my other OU team and I honestly don't think I've ever gotten it out successfully.

You're right about Roost, though. I've been playtesting on Shoddy Battle / Pokélab and it's been useless thus far, pretty much throwing a turn away to heal and then getting hit back for just about as much as I healed for. I initially used it to cover Life Orb recoil, but it's not much use in Trick Room and minimal use out of it. ExtremeSpeed would be a good replacement, as I love me some priority moves.

I'll make that switch and update original post and file download accordingly.

The only real type I've had any trouble dealing with is Water, and then only bulky types. A Starmie or Vaporeon are usually resilient enough to last a couple hits--even Thunderpunches or Thunderbolts--and accomplish Rapid Spinning or Wish passing, respectively. I haven't fought many Gyarados, but the few I have were taken care of pretty quickly; it's mainly defensive Waters that plague me.

Rotom has been a little bit of an issue late-game, but I run a Rotom on my other team and that's kind of its purpose, after all. Plus side is I know the ins and outs of Rotom fairly well, and can handle it in 3-4 hits; downside is, that's 3-4 hits. :P

Try a Magnezone then? 60 base speed is ideal for Trick Room and can easily deal with both Starmie and Vaporeon. Plus it has Explosion so its bound to take out something along with it.

Magnezone is interesting, and I can definitely understand its pull (see what I did there?). I still run into the issue of placement. The most viable option I'd see to replace is Dragonite.

Throwing together a moveset real quick, I came up with:
[box]

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull / Quiet
120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Atk

- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Ice (64)
- Explosion[/box]

Then I'd probably want to replace Porygon2's Thunderbolt with something like Signal Beam or Shadow Ball, as having 4 Electric moves gets a bit redundant, even with bulky Water threats, and it would give me better coverage for Dark-types.

I'm not 100% sure as to Magnezone's moveset in a Trick Room environment, but I will test out these changes on Shoddy Battle. If you want to suggest an alternate moveset,

This is the same problem the other team had, and it was solved with this:

Exeggutor (Chlorophyll)
-Quiet
-Life orb
-4HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Sp.Atk
-Trick Room
-Explosion
-Leaf storm
-Sleep powder

It has three ways to screw over bulky waters. Take your pick! Also, it's a Trick Roomer! Super bonus!

I haven't had time to playtest Magnezone yet, but I'll try Exeggutor while I'm at it and see what I prefer. There's no better way to choose than really trying things out.

The problem with Eggy is its awful typing that is weak to the most common threats in OU; Scizors' U-turn being the primary one, and its 4x resistance to Grass and its resistance to Explosion.

But If you're looking for something to really deal with those Water-types once and for all I'd definitely try out Eggy then.

Alright, so I'm playtesting three separate things:

1. Magnezone in place of Dragonite.
  2. Exeggutor in place of Claydol.
I'll let you know how it goes, although to be honest I haven't lost yet with this team. I haven't battled extensively, just around 5-6 times, enough to get a feel of what's working. (I have lost with this team in its early stages, before I really refined it and posted it.)

That said, I've had a few close battles and why take that risk? If it can be better, it can be better.

Discussion
I tried out Magnezone and really didn't like it. It leaves me totally vulnerable to one of the most popular Pokémon in the OU tier, Swampert, and while it had a few good points I didn't really see trying to force it into this team. The synergy was a bit off no matter where I tried to fit it in. I don't know if it was how I tried to use Magnezone or the moveset/EV spread I gave it, but it really wasn't doing it for me.

Exeggutor had better results, but I lost a Rapid Spinner in trying to fit it in. Not totally devastating, but when you switch in and out as much as a Trick Room team does it can get annoying, to say the least. That said, this seemed like a case of benefits equaling the drawbacks; I felt like the team wasn't any better or any worse off with Exeggutor. In that case, I've decided to keep Claydol for the time being (although I can interchange them pretty much at will on Shoddy Battle).

It seems like my team may be finished now. No, it's not perfect. I have a little trouble with bulky water types regardless of how the team's set up, but it's no longer as devastating. I don't want to close this team to discussion though, as I feel like we've started a great discussion here, and I really want to thank you both, Thunda-Moo and Wynought, for your comments. We've made some great progress, and I've learned a lot about Trick Room teams on the way.

Any minor changes are still welcomed. Change a move or an EV spread. At this point, though, I think the team members themselves are solid and will be keeping them.

I really don't mean to sound stubborn, or like I am refusing to take anyone's advice. That said, I appreciate any criticism or discussion, it's just that I feel this team has synergized well and is pretty well-balanced at this point.

You may want to consider giving octillary the Wave incense to power up non-super effective Water spout, or leftovers to get rid of stealth rock damage (more important if you use Exeggutor) I personally would give Claydol explosion over psychic, but I understand if you'd rather keep him alive.

Either way, I'm glad to help. Feel free to PM me if you make another RMT!

Psychic on Claydol was kind of my own idea, but I can easily see where Explosion would come in handy there. Porygon2 tends to be the last Trick Roomer standing, if you will, and Claydol usually gets KO'd in a battle. Exploding may be a plus; I'll try it out.

The thing about the Wave Incense is that Water Spout gets really useless really fast; sure, the Wave Incense would extend its longevity and its power (and Surf too, while it's at it), but as I have trouble with Water-types a 3x super effective Energy Ball can be a lifesaver. I will still try it out.

Exeggutor is a bit of an "alternate" for my team, I suppose; I will switch it to Leftovers.

Once again, thanks for all your wonderful advice.

I'm still open to any advice from anyone, so it's a little frustrating that only 2 people have responded. Sure, we've gotten a lot of work done on this team (and I'm super thankful for the two people who helped out), but I really want to perfect it. I don't think you can perfect a team without a wide variety of opinions involved.

Well, I'm really bad with TR, so no elaborate rates, but I personally dislike Water Spout, as it gets weaker as you get weaker, and Octillery is definitely not bulky. I'd replace it with Hydro Pump or Surf.

First off, I goofed a few times in my original post with EV spreads, and I'm surprised nobody caught it. Claydol should have been converted from a split Special Attack / Attack spread to an all Attack spread when I removed Psychic.

Well, I'm really bad with TR, so no elaborate rates, but I personally dislike Water Spout, as it gets weaker as you get weaker, and Octillery is definitely not bulky. I'd replace it with Hydro Pump or Surf.
I've found that Water Spout is probably Octillery's most useful move; in a sweep inside the Trick Room environment, Octillery can get off 3-4 full-power Water Spouts without getting a scratch laid on it. A full-power Water Spout OHKOs anything that doesn't resist it, Blissey notwithstanding. Surf and Hydro Pump are good, but they aren't that good.

Admittedly, though, one of the first things I had thought about changing when putting together this team was that moveset. It just seemed redundant. I think that this is a case where you have to actually trust the moveset enough to put it through a few test runs before you really see that it's not as redundant as you'd think.

A minor but possibly important point: the expert belt powers up super-effective moves by 20%, it does not increase power from x2 to x3. I don't know if the expert belt changes any 2HKOs to OHKOs on any Pokemon you have trouble with, but I could run some calculations if you name the Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)