The Best Defense Is Heavy Offense (Gen V RMT)

So, considering my early attempts at stall and HO during 4th Gen crashed miserably, I've pretty much always used some variations of bulky offense. However, now that I'm not as bad as I used to be, I wanted to try a faster pace in this brave new metagame, especially since 5th gen has brought HO the great gift that is team preview. That's why I designed this team with the few following principles in mind :

• It doesn't matter that +2 Excadrill outspeeds and OHKOEs all of my team as long as it can't get to +2.
  • I won't use choice items, as one setup opportunity for the opponent equals one Game Over for me.
  • None of my pokemons can be setup fodder to anything, unless it's outsped and OHKOed by the rest of my team.
  • None of my pokemons should be completely shut down by anything. Being countered is fine, as long as said counter lost half his health to do so.
Additionally, I'm trying to make a team that can be played as consistently as possible, so I want to avoid inaccurate moves as much as I can (although their power is often necessary). After playing with it, I believe HO can actually be a very consistent playstyle, and I am making and playing this team with the goal of completely removing prediction. Yes, I know this Hippowdon is going to tank that hit and kill me, but the sacrifice is worth it. Furthermore, the best thing about this playstyle is that the opponent adapts and always expect me to do the obvious move and never switch out, so it's easy to occasionally gain even more momentum when I do switch to Mence on that telegraphed, choiced Earthquake.

Team at a glance:

I laddered up to 1450 pretty quickly with this team on PO's server, but mostly because HO plays fast, is consistent thanks to team preview and many don't seem to be prepared for it. The previous criterias are not even completely met and there is a lot of room for improvements, so any advice is welcome.

The Team

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Nature:Timid
Ev's:252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
  • Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Taunt
  • Spikes

Standard Dual Screen Deoxys for the most part, and it's actually surprisingly bulky. As my absolute priority is setting up screens, i don't even use Spikes against most offensive teams : if Deo-S is still alive after screening, i find it more rewardful to switch out and let it set up one last screen later than to sac it for a layer of Spikes. Against stall teams, however, Spikes let me gain some neat OHKOes, and I don't lose much because screens aren't that necessary anyway.

The only common pokemon this guy have troubles with is Thundurus, but it really gives me a really tough time. Getting rid of Taunt isn't an option because I can't afford a setup fodder, and Magic Coat is unreliable anyway, so I usually just try to Light Screen in case it's a TWave version then switch to Reuniclus. The ones carrying Taunt get an early advantadge, but at the very least they can't priority-TWave my sweepers. That's definitely one of the main problems I need to address.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ev's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4HP
  • Dragon Dance
  • Outrage
  • Earthquake
  • Fire Blast
I believe everyone here knows this old friend, coming back from 4th Gen's Ubers, so I'll just skip the introduction. It has two main uses, depending on the opponent's team : It can either blow up holes in the opponent's team very early, as it's pretty hard to revenge behind screens (and a Scarf Meteor against HO is pretty much a golden GG chain served on a silver plater), or sweep later game once fast scarfers have been KOed and steels weakened. Cloyster is its best partner, as both have to break through steels, bulky waters and priority. Just like last gen, I never expect it to last long, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since there is usually a little bit of screens left after this guy goes down.

Cloyster @ Life Orb / White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Naive
Ev's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
  • Shell Break
  • Icicle Spear
  • Rock Blast
  • Hydro Pump

Who would have thought Cloyster would one day be used in HO ? Anyway, this set packs a lot of punch, but its main use is to lure in and KO priority users who would otherwise stop cold its frailer teammates. I'm constantly switching between LO and Whiter Herb, as they both have their advantadges and I don't really know which one is best. LO won't sweep but really dents bulky waters and OHKO literraly everything else (including Ferrothorns and 1-HP-damaged Skarm) to let Blaziken rampage a little more, while Whiter Herb makes for a fearsome, unstoppable sweeper once I got rid of bulky waters, as it laughs to even choiced Mach Punches. Speaking of Blaziken, Cloyster's synergy with him is amazing, as they both remove and benefit from having removed bulky waters and priority. I also use it to lure in and Hydro Pump steels to oblivion. BTW, Ferrothorn is always OHKOed by LO and its Power Whip only does 30% to White Herb behind Reflect. Yeah.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
Ev's:252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
  • Swords Dance
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Flare Blitz
  • Stone Edge

Even though it may not have lived up to its hype, Blaziken is deadly behind screens, but doesn't last long... Pretty much Salamence on steroid : once it has set up, it can OHKO the whole metagame, until it kills itself... The trickiest part being to actually get the boost, so I always try to use it behind screens, preferably after Deo's second round, once these annoying fast scarfers and priority users are gone (usually thanks to Cloyster, sometimes Salamence). Tyranitar being everywhere also helps a lot, since the only variant that could hurt Blaziken will always choie-lock itself in Crunch/Pursuit while Deoxys sets-up its last screen. It somewhat compensates the trouble Excadrill gives me by outspeeding me, even at +2. I hate the accuracy, but Blaziken's way too good to ignore.

These were the MVPs, and I'm pretty satisfied about them. Salamence might be replaceable, though... Now, the weaker links :

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Ev's:252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
  • Swords Dance
  • Bullet Punch
  • Bug Bite
  • Superpower

Offensive Scizor provides much needed strong priority against fast scarfers and is especially good against Latios who would otherwise give me a lot of troubles. Its steel typing helps me at the same time against opposing scizors and Extremespeed users. That makes it more of a glue, as it can't really dent its counters like its teammates can, but since most teams strangely don't seem very prepared for it, it's still good... for now.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Quiet, 0 Spe IV
Ev's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
  • Trick Room
  • Psycho Shock
  • Focus Blast
  • Shadow Ball

I'm not so sure about this one. One one hand, it has served me really well due to its anti-metagame prowess. It single-handedly destroys sun offense and easily takes on the strong scarfers that give me so much trouble thanks to its bulk. This team doesn't fear set-up sweepers but cleaners, and he's my best bet against them, should they manage to get in and live. I chose Psycho Shock because I definitely can't afford being walled by Blissey but don't really mind physical walls coming in, as the point of this team is to break through them. It's also very useful at absorbing status, especially the ever-annoying Voltolos' priority T-Wave, and is my best switch-in to Whimsicott.
On the other hand, it doesn't really pack as much punch as its teammates, has a 4-turn timer and isn't very good at wallbreaking, but I don't see what could replace it.

So, this is my first RMT, I really welcome and appreciate any criticism, but please keep in mind the few principles i want this team to be based on. Up until now, no single opposing pokemon has been able to set up on this team and sweep so the basic concept has been achieved, but it's still far from completion as many common threats still give me trouble.

Because this is HO, i won't mention what i use to "counter" threats, but what can and has to smash through them. When it says : "Bronzong - Cloyster, Scizor and Reuniclus", I mean that these three pokemons smash through it, the fact that the rest of my team OHKO it is implied. Colored defensive threats are the only ones that can actually do something, but they're not really that dangerous and I'd rather fix one offensive threat than five defensive ones.

Alomomola - Not a threat, isn't that bulky and can't do anything back.
Blissey - The worse it can do is stall TR turns with Softboiled.
Bronzong - Cloyster, Scizor and Reuniclus.
Celebi - Not a threat.
Chansey - Same as Blissey.
Deoxys-D - Bulky, but can't do much back. As a lead, I'll just screen up and Taunt when I'm sure it won't Magic Coat.
Cofagrigus - Not a threat.
Crustle - Not a threat.
Dusclops - Annoying cause I can't HJK while he's still around, but that's it. I haven't seen yet any good player using it anyway.
Ferrothorn - Scizor, Reuniclus, (Cloyster if Physically defensive), but can't do much back, even to Cloytser.
Forretress - Set-up fodder to everything, but Sturdy can be troublesome so I usually try to Spike.
Garbodor - Never seen these, not a threat anyway.
Gigalith - Slow and weak to everything on this team.
Gliscor - Salamence, Scizor and Reuniclus. Blaziken does OHKO, so I usually don't have any problems with it.
Hippowdon - Everything but Cloyster, thankfully it can't do much back. I always Spike to ensure that Blaziken OHKOes.
Jellicent - Scizor... Obviously not a threat
Latias - Usually defensive, which I really don't mind.
Mandibuzz - Not a threat.
Murkrow - Doesn't have the bulky to take on anything, and Feather Dance variants are shut down by Deo-S.
Ninetales - Sun is destroyed by screened Blaziken and Reuniclus.
Politoed - I've never had any problem with rain stall yet. It might change as people get better at it, though.
Porygon2 - Cloyster, Salamence. Annoying because I can't start with them, so I have to use Scizor or Reuniclus early (who don't mind paralysis).
Quagsire - When I see it, I always Spike at least once, because he's so annoying. Cloyster 2HKOes with Hydro Pump + Icicle Spear (for accuracy) and doesn't suffer from LO recoil, but it can outstall everything else. Thankfully, it doesn't see much use.
Rotom-A - It doesn't have the bulk nor the speed to do anything.
Scolipede - Not a threat, can't Spike.
Skarmory - Cloyster, Scizor. Surprisingly easy to deal with.
Snorlax - Reuniclus. Not a threat.
Suicune - Offensive ones are OHKOed, and I haven't seen any RestTalker.
Swampert - Salamence, Cloyster, Scizor.
Tentacruel - Scizor.
Vaporeon - Cloyster, Salamence.
Whimsicott - I usually have to switch to Reuniclus, but then I get one free TR. Still annoying.
Xatu - Nope.
Zapdos - Scizor, and can stall TR turns. Can't do much more.

Aerodactyl - Focus Sash is annoying, but it can't hurt me behind screens. Sometimes I Taunt, sometimes I just screen up right away.
Archeops - Not a threat, everything can at least put it below 50%, most likely OHKO.
Azelf - See Aerodactyl.
Bisharp - Never seen it with Conkeldurr being everywhere, but doesn't seem threatening.
Blaziken - Whenever I see this, Reflect becomes my first priority. It can't SD up, so I'm usually safe as long as the screen is up.
Breloom - Too slow to Spore and can't take a +2 Bullet Punch. Techniloom will be dangerous when it's released, though.
Chandelure - Scarf Overheat = free set-up. Not fast enough to revenge.
Cobalion - Weak to everything in my team but Cloyster.
Conkeldurr - Worst case scenario : scratches Cloyster and die. It has never really bothered me.
Darmanitan - Usually lead when they see Deo-s, but it's U-Turn doesn't do much more than 30% after Reflect. Too slow to revenge, but still annoying if it comes in after a Double KO.
Deoxys-S - I hate speed ties, so I usually lead with Blaziken and attack right away. Eventually Scizor if I spot a huge SDZor weakness. Dual Screen variants give me a hard time.
Dragonite - Multi-Scale and ES can be annoying, but it doesn't have a lot of room to come in.
Druddigon - Not a threat.
Eelektross - Not a threat.
Electivire - No.
Emboar - Still no.
Empoleon - Cloyster hates it, but it can't set up. Not seen many of them anyway.
Espeon - Completely useless against this team.
Escavalier - Reuniclus don't like it and I can't lead with Deo, but it's too slow to be dangerous..
Excadrill - Can't set up, but still hits fast and hard, and outspeed Blaziken. Thankfully, it tends to be used primarily with physical attackers, so I can focus on keeping Reflect up.
Garchomp - ScarfChomp is very dangerous, outspeeds Salamence and is bulky enough to tank a +2 Bullet Punch. Reflect becomes my priority when I see it.
Genesect - Scarf is neither as strong nor as fast as other threats, but still mildly annoying Also hurts Deoxys badly.
Gengar - Really frail, Scarf is dangerous but easily punishable. TR catches it off guard.
Golurk - Too slow.
Gyarados - Can't set up, can't wall anything else than Scizor.
Haxorus - Too frail, too slow.
Heatran - Completely shuts down Scizor. Scarf is punishable, but balloon annoys Salamence.
Heracross - Too slow.
Hydreigon - Basically Latios, but slower, weaker, Trickless and more punishable.
Infernape - Can't set up, rarely seen anyway.
Jirachi - Scarf is annoying, but doesn't pack enough power. Very punishable.
Jolteon - Can be troublesome if it comes in after a Double KO.
Kingdra - Can't set up.
Krookodile - Scarf EQ and Crunch are a gold mine.
Kyurem - Too Slow and weak to everything in this team.
Landlos - I hate him. It can't set up, but Scarf is incredibly strong and trolls Salamence.
Latios - See Landlos, but bulkier and with Trick. He's the main reason I have Scizor, and Reuniclus also helps.
Lilligant - Not a threat.
Lucario - Can't set up. ES is annoying, though.
Machamp - Annoying as a lead, can steal some momentum if I get unlucky. I don't see what more i could do, though.
Magnezone - I can't use Scizor until he's gone. Bulkier ones may be able to take Cloyster Hydro Pump, but it doesn't give me much trouble.
Mamoswine - Ice Shard means I can't use Salamence, but goes down easily and doesn't threaten anything else.
Metagross - Can't set up, and it's not that strong accounting for Reflect.
Mienshao - U-Turn doesn't matter, lacks raw power.
Reuniclus - Can't set up. Scizor still checks the rare TR variant.
Roserade - Meh, Deo-S taunts it and Leaf Storm is just a worse DM.
Salamence - Intimidate is annoying, but dies to everything.
Sawsbuck - See sun offense.
Scizor - Usually dies trying to take out Cloyster or Mence. When I see it, I try to keep Reflect up and it doesn't hit that hard anymore.
Scrafty - Can't set up.
Seismitoad - Not a threat.
Shaymin - Not a threat.
Sigilyph - Not a threat.
Smeargle - Deo-S Taunts it, can't do anything outside of lead spot.
Starmie - Scarf is fast and strong, LO is even more dangerous dangerous if it manages to get in and Deoxys is dead.
Terakion - Can't set up, and won't like Bullet Punch.
Thundurus - I hate him. See Deo's paragraph.
Togekiss - can't do anything.
Tornadus - Neither as strong nor as annoying as its brother. Haven't seen many.
Tyranitar - Not a threat by itself.
Venusaur - See sun offense.
Victini - Haven't seen many of these... Never bothered me.
Virizion - Not a threat.
Volcarona - Can't set up.
Weavile - Fast and strong, but won't like scizor and can't do much to Blaziken.
Zoroark - Annoying, but it can't really take advantage of the surprise to setup or hit SE.

This is a very fine representation of the immense force and pressure brought by HO. Really makes the opponent weary of facing so many powerful set-up sweepers. Very well built team. It does pose the question of how you deal with the likes on Whimsicott. You say Rank is your imminent switch in; but if Whimsicott is safely behind a Sub when Rank is sent it, it will just begin to Taunt and Leech Seed. It shuts down the majority of your sweepers and poses as a great threat in my mind. But, it is very uncommon, and can't be sent in too often incase of an over prediction. Still doesn't make it any less of a threat if played right.

The majority of your offensive threats seem to come from Dragon, Flying-types. Which is why I suggest testing out a Mamoswine of any variant, packing Ice Shard. It would help in a long run in dealing with your threats that are 2x or 4x weak to Ice. Another suggestion could even be slap on Ice Shard on Cloyster; trade power for the ability to scare off and kill ScarfChomp, Latios and Thundurus. Last suggestion would be to consider Stealth Rocks > Spikes on Deoxys to further guarantee you more potential OHKOs - if you choose to opt for Mamoswine.

Great team nonetheless. This is a great microcosm of how HO teams should be played out. Good job.

4 words:

Best HO Team EVER

Congrats on building something so awesome.
========================================

You could try CM Reuniclus if TR doesn't suit you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)