ORAS OU ✧✧✧Bumble And The Hive: Mega Beedrill's Humble Volt-Turn✧✧✧

What do you think of the newly released Turtonator?

• It looks amazing!

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Meh, it's okay.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • ...It's Ugly.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • It's gotta BIG nose!

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

"Here's a fun team I built around Mega Beedrill. It was created with Volt-Turn in mind and it works pretty well in OU. Ever since its release in Pokemon XY, I've been a huge fanatic of Mega Beedrill's design and power! Unfortunately for our humble Bumble, isn't without its set of flaws i.e. it's incredibly fragile and it has a nasty weakness to Stealth Rocks (all of which have contributed to its descent into the UU tier). Never the less, Mega Beedrill definitely a force to reckoned with. Oh and by the way, I love the unorthodox, and so I build most of my [OU] teams around UU Pokemon.

PS: I hope you find this team to be avant-garde. So without any further ado, let's begin".

Anime Fan

Team Building Process:

[Offensive Pivot / Pursuit Trapper]
Mega Beedrill is currently unpopular in OU, so much so that it is rarely seen in battle. However, this isn't to imply that Mega Beedrill is unviable within the OU tier, as it has some of the highest attack and speed stat around. In addition to this, it's ability Adaptability makes it a strong Wallbreaker. In terms of a preferred battle-style, Mega Beedrill works best on Volt-Turn teams. This due to its ability to function as a great hit-and-run attacker (which is great for wearing down switch-ins). This, of course, is both a blessing and a curse i.e. it makes Mega Beedrill difficult to check, but it also makes it more vulnerable to entry hazard, such as Stealth Rocks. It's also worth noting that M-Beedrill's lack of popularity can work to its advantage i.e. since its unpopular, most teams aren't prepared for it. This gives M-Beedrill the element of surprise (Pursuit).

[Defensive Pivot / Stealth Rock User]
Landorus-Therian is an excellent partner for Mega Beedrill; it can sponge physical attacks, pivot and set up Stealth Rocks. Landorus-T also goes a great job of providing momentum, as well as supporting its teammates through its ability and typing e.g. it counters many flying, rock, and fighting type Pokemon. It's also immune to electric and ground type attacks, like Thunder Wave and Earthquake.

[Wallbreaker / Semi-Stallbreaker]
Kyruem-Black is powerful and it Wallbreaks for the team. The reason Kyurem-B excels at this role is
due to its typing, which is met with little resistance. As for which set was required, both the Choice Band and Choice Spec variants were great options for the team from i.e. a Choice Band variant is capable of Wallbreaking, as well as Stallbreaking, whilst the Choice Specs variant is more spam-able.

[Offensive Pivot / Revenge Killer]

Jirachi is another offensive pivot that compliments the team. It's resistance to fairy and grass type attacks synergises well with Landorus-Therian, as well as Rotom Wash. When equipped with the Choice Scarf Jirachi is a great Revenge Killer capable out-speeding and beating fast threats. It also does a great job of supporting the team in a pinch (via flinches and Healing Wish).
[Defensive Pivot]

Rotom-Wash and Landorus-T form a great core. Their type synergy and ability to pivot [in and out of attacks] makes them excellent momentum-grabbers for the team. A fast Rotom W cripples Bisharp, as well as beating Azumarill. Rotom-W and Landorus-T also an excellent job of countering bird spam.
[Hazard Removal / Wallbreaker]

Latios rounds up the team by removing entry hazards. This is especially useful for our Volt-Turn as most of our members are liable to switching out a lot. Latios also counters extreme threats such as Keldeo, Volcanion and even Mega Charizard-Y. And that's not all, Latios can also pressure the opponent by spamming Draco Meteors, or luring threats in order to KO them by Hidden Power Fire, Surf or Thunderbolt.

Teammate Analysis:

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Pursuit / Protect
U-turn
Poison Jab
Drill Run / Pursuit

Pursuit support is great for nailing fleeing ghost and psychic type Pokemon, this includes Gengar and Latios, as they often expect Knock Off or U-Turn. Mega Beedrill's boasts a powerful STAB move in U-Turn. This allows it to dent defensive walls and wear down its switch-ins as it exits. Poison Jab used to KO fairy and grass-types targets (without forcing Mega Beedrill to exit). Drill Run is used to KO steel types, like Heatran and Magnezone, this makes Wallbreaking easier for Kyurem-B. Protect guarantees a safe Mega Evolution, and gives Mega Beedrill a means of scouting the foe (which eases prediction).

Note: Forgoing Protect will make Mega Evolution tricky. However this can be remedied by playing around a threat i.e. you can Mega Evolve on slower threats such as Slowbro, Rotom-W and Hippowdon. Pursuit compliments Jirachi by removing Latios from play. It eases Jirachi's role of resisting Dragon-type assaults.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet / Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
Earthquake
Hidden Power [Ice] / Stone Edge
U-turn / Hidden Power [Ice]
Stealth Rock

Earthquake is a strong and reliable STAB move. Stone Edge allows Landorus-T to KO the flying type Pokemon it walls (this includes the dreaded Talonflame). Hidden Power [Ice] seems unorthodox, however, it gives Landorus-T the edge over Tank Garchomp and opposing Landorus-T. This benefits Mega Beedrill as it will be spamming U-Turn a lot. U-Turn gains momentum and is great for wearing down its switch-ins. Stealth Rock is a godsend, as it supports the team without end and weakens dangerous switch-ins.

Note: 16 EV's in speed allow Landorus-T to outspeed defensive Landorus-T and hit it with Hidden Power Ice. I recommend keeping U-Turn, as this is Volt-Turn team and Mega Beedrill requires free switch-ins. A Yache Berry can be used to lure and KO checks e.g. Weavile or electric-type Pokemon with Ice-type coverage.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant / Jolly Nature
Outrage
Freeze Shock / Dragon Claw
Fusion Bolt
Iron Head

Outrage is extremely powerful, especially when backed up by the Choice Band and is coming from an attack stat of 170! Freeze Shock weakens and KO's predicted switch-ins. It does a great job of beating Clefable, Ferrothorn, as well as Skarmory. Dragon Claw, on the other hand, is spam-able and it has no drawbacks. Fusion Bolt dents water and flying-type Pokemon. Iron Head gives Kyurem-B a reliable way of beating Fairy-types.

Note: Freeze Shock seems like an odd option but it allows Kyruem-B to dent its counters. It is bested on predicted switch-ins in order to avoid taking unnecessary damage. An Adamant nature is used to hit as hard as possible, while a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed neutral-natured base 100s. An alternate set of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe improves Kyruem-B's match up against Stall. The EV investment in HP allows Kyurem-B to survive 4 Seismic Tosses and minimises residual damage

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
Iron Head
Heart Stamp / Fire Punch
U-turn
Healing Wish / Trick

Iron Head is a powerful STAB move that KOs fairy-types, and has a high chance to cause a flinch. Heart Stamp is a weaker STAB move, however, it does have a high chance to cause a flinch, plus it deals great damage to certain threats. U-Turn, on the other hand, provides momentum whilst damaging the opponent, it also wears down Jirachi's switch-ins. Healing Wish restores a weakened teammate, which gives them a second chance to wreck havoc in battle! Healing Wish has the negative side effect of causing Jirachi to faint. Trick can be used to cripple the opponent by locking them into a single move.

Note: The team is weak to (Lum Berry) Bisharp. Using Trick remedies this problem by locking it into a single move. This will allow a Teammate to KO Bisharp (which is important as it can potentially 6-0 the entire team)!

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split / Thunder Wave

Volt Switch provides momentum for the team as Rotom Wash escapes. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB move that blasts away at ground and fire type Pokemon. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical threats, and scares the rest from switching in on Rotom-W! Pain Split is used for stealing HP from the opponent, however, it isn't very reliable. It can also be used offensively, to whittle down foes that Rotom-W can't beat. Thunder Wave is a superior option for crippling the foe and stopping Mega Charizard X from using it as set up bait (unlike Thunder Wave, Pain Split is rarely used in battle).

Note: Rockey Helmet punishes physical threats, as well as Knock Off users, like Bisharp and Weavile. It also pairs well with Landorus-T, as the combination of dual Rocky Helmets will irritate and weaken the foe (I recommend Leftovers since Rotom-W needs the additional HP, especially since it's less defensive than usual). 220 in speed allows Rotom W to outspeed Mega Scizor, Bisharp and Breloom (this is useful for checking them with a surprise burn).

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Draco Meteor
Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt
Roost
Defog

Draco Meteor crashes down on the opponent with overwhelming power! This is useful for providing pressuring, as well as Wallbreaking. Hidden Power [Fire] has recently become unpopular on Latios, this allows it to lure and KO Ferrothorn and Scizor. Roost boosts the longevity of Latios, allowing him to continuously counter Keldeo, Volcanion and Mega Charizard Y. Defog is useful from removing entry hazards, which is useful because our teammates switch out a lot (especially Mega Beedrill).

Note: 24 HP increases longevity, which aids Latios in countering Mega Charizard Y, as well as Volcanion. Hidden Power Fire can be replaced with Thunderbolt (this will allow Latios to check Azumarill and Manaphy). However doing this may force Jirachi to run Fire Punch (which isn't a bad idea, since Jirachi can now KO Ferrothorn and Scizor for the team instead). Forgoing Heart Stamp makes Jirachi less prone to Pursuit trap. Most of the threats that are KO'd by Heart Stamp can be beaten by Latios or Mega Beedrill (Mega Venusaur, Mega Lopunny, Mega Charizard Y etc).

To conclude:

Mega Beedrill is incredibly fun to use in OU. It can pull its own weight, but with the right amount of support. Mega Beedrill's lack of popularity can give it the surprise factor in battle (as seen with Pursuit). Its speed, power and amazing design allow Mega Beedrill to slaughter many top-tier threats in OU (this includes Mega Lopunny). Kyruem-B is incredibly powerful. When equipped with a Choice Band, Kyurem-B makes a respectable Wallbreaker and Stallbreaker.

Threats:

Bisharp is a huge threat to the team since it can set up Swords Dance and use Sucker Punch. Our only counter is Rotom-W, however, if Bisharp can set up early, then it can potentially 6-0 my entire team! I'm currently using Trick to remedy this huge problem (because if Bisharp is locked into a single move, we can either take advantage or it or KO it as soon as possible).

Mega Lopunny can be checked fairly easily. However, her coverage moves can severely weaken our walls and counters (via High Jump Kick and Ice Punch). The good news is, we can play around her by systematically switching between Rotom-W, Landorus-T and Jirachi. This weakens Mega Lopunny as her attack stat drop, and she takes damage from a Rocky Helmet.

Weavile threatens the team by weakening our walls and removing important items. Rocky Helmet, Stealth Rock and a Choice Scarf Jirachi can be used to KO Weavile. However if Jirachi is locked into Heart Stamp, then it risks getting Pursuit trapped.

Mega Gardevior wallbreaks through the team, and although Jirachi acts as a counter, it risks getting crippled by Will-O-Wisp! Mega Gardevior is checked by Mega Beedrill and Jirachi.

Kyurem-B also wallbreaks through the team. It's versatility and unpredictability leaves my team guessing as to which set its running. This often resorts in taking unnecessary losses.

Latios pressures the team by spamming Draco Meteors, this effectively weakens our walls and counter (Jirachi). That said Latios is checked, pursuit trapped and countered by Mega Beedrill and Jirachi.

Rain Teams outspeed my team and pressure it greatly. Mega Swampert and Kingdra can potentially sweep through the team. Kingdra is the biggest threat on rain teams. With the pouring rain and chilly winds, even Ferrothorn walls my entire team.

Volcanion can be countered by Rotom-W and Latios. However, both of them are pressured by the Choice Specs variant. Corrosive status conditions like burns, and poison limit how often Latios and Rotom-W can counter Volcanion. That said, this monster can be handled by setting Stealth Rocks as soon as possible.

CB Azumarill is the bane of my team as it can effortlessly wallbreak and potentially sweep through the team once weakened. A Choice Band Knock Off deals a tonne of damage to anything that switches in, plus Rotom-W has a reduced defences as well so it isn't a reliable counter. Nevertheless, Kyurem-B and Rotom-W can check Azumarill with ease. If using Thunderbolt, Latios makes a fantastic lure and check.

Gengar scares the team to hell and back by ploughing through our defences. That said, it is checked and Pursuit trapped by Jirachi and Mega Beedrill. If running HP Fire Latios will lose the speed tie against Gengar. Mega Beedrill risks getting KO'd if Gengar doesn't switch out.

Replays:
Available On Request.

Team Export:

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Very cool team man, Banded KyuB is very trendy these days. I'd like to see a replay just to see the utility of Freeze Shock. It's a two-turn move, but very few Pokemon want to be switching into it.

I feel like torn t >rotom wash would be a good idea.

swap the scarf from lando to rachi.

plus,
avant guard -> avant garde

This is why people should use words they don't even know how to use properly.

Don't use words u don't even know how to spell, makes u look dumb af.
he can afford scarf on lando cuz he has rotom-w as def pivot and bird check. he also becomes incredibly pressured by m-diancie with scarf rachi. i guess def lando would make him less weak to megagross and m-lop tho.

he needs rotom-w on the team cuz it's his makeshift bisharp check. that's why hes running a lot of speed so he can outpace bisharp and burn it. switching rotom to torn would make him extremely weak to sharp.

edit: yeah scarf rachi is the better move tbh.

Last edited:
he can afford scarf on lando cuz he has rotom-w as def pivot and bird check. he also becomes incredibly pressured by m-diancie with scarf rachi. i guess def lando would make him less weak to megagross and m-lop tho.

he needs rotom-w on the team cuz it's his makeshift bisharp check. that's why hes running a lot of speed so he can outpace bisharp and burn it. switching rotom to torn would make him extremely weak to sharp.

edit: yeah scarf rachi is the better move tbh.
Hi,

Thanks very much unun. I was thinking the exact same thing, about whether or not I should run a defensive landorust-t, and a scarf jirachi.
Oh and that reminds me, I also forgot to add a threat list, Charizard X is one of the biggest threats to the team. Thank you very much for you advice and recommendation :)

Very cool team man, Banded KyuB is very trendy these days. I'd like to see a replay just to see the utility of Freeze Shock. It's a two-turn move, but very few Pokemon want to be switching into it.
Hello Flygoner818,

My apologies for the late reply. Oh and thanks very much, I'm glad you liked the team ^^

PS: I'm currently on holiday at the moment, so I don't play showdown very often (ATM). When I do return, I'll be sure to add a few replays as soon as possible. Oh and by the way, about using Freeze Shock; it's mainly a personal preference that I've enjoyed using. The idea with Freeze Shock is to dent switch-ins. For example, Clefable and Ferrothorn are one of Kyurem-B's counters. Kyurem-B lures them in (as they expect an Ice Beam), and 1HKO's them with Freeze Shock.

Here are some cals:
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 483-568 (122.5 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 309-364 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Here's a quick simulation of Freeze Shock in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-420583905

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)