101 Signs You Need Help in UU

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I take this idea from a different forum, essentially the whole point of this thread is to list what bad UU players do. Just put down anything you think is really n00bish (essentially the opposite of what i do :D). Feel free to include anything controversial but add justification and be prepared to defend your position if challenged For instance using Specs Slowbro may actually be very usable but its almost undeniable that using Choice Band Slowbro is a sign you need help in UU! Also so we dont add too much crap lets only put what we see in battles, no making up random stuff. (I did see a trick CB Slowbro lol!)

Just go like this...Sign 1 (lets keep track ok??!!!): You are using CB Slowbro.

Feel free to put multiple signs in a post but keep track of the number we are on!! I'm not sure if this will catch on at all so aiming for 101 signs might be too ambitious though, hope you can prove me wrong :D!!!

this is the original by the way, (overeager mods please dont rain on my parade again)

The post after mines should start at number 2 again!!!

#2: Offensive Dusclops ;-;

I'm serious, it was like Shadow Sneak, Earthquake, Ice Punch (for flygon? ofc), Pain Split. Please stop. I would just say 'using Dusclops altogether', but an offensive set is too much.

Nas

Banned deucer.
Apparently this was not made clear enough in the last thread, but you must include some reasoning for all of your choices. Posts along the lines of "X is bad" will be deleted.

Apparently this was not made clear enough in the last thread, but you must include some reasoning for all of your choices. Posts along the lines of "X is bad" will be deleted.
Ah sorry about that. To expand on my point, using Ambipom when Mienshao generally does its job better as a momentum gainer with Fake Out and U-turn. Mienshao also has threatening STAB fighting moves to compliment this combination, namely Hi-Jump-Kick as opposed to Ambipom's Return. Ambipom does at least have some niche as a Nasty Plot passer but I'd rather use Mr. Mime for that role.

Sign #3: You are using no rapid spinner/Xatu + SR weak pokemon

The amount of times I have just dominated a match with an early SR, knowing the opponent could do nothing about it are too countless to recall. The worse offender ran a yanmega, and every other poke was SR neutral.

I don't agree that having SR weak Pokemon without a way to stop it going up is automatically really bad. The most recent team I used had SubSplit Chandelure and Crobat on it, but since I dislike all the UU spinners I didn't bother wasting a teamslot on one (lets be honest, if you're not using Rapid Spin, you probably don't want a Pokemon that learns it). Neither of them really mind SR since it just means Chandelure can leech more health and Crobat has Roost and mainly relies on its great resistances and speed, so can usually function decently even with only 50% of its health left. The team peaked #20 so far and it honestly hasn't ever had a hazard problem.

4x SR weak Pokemon though, I agree with you in the main. You can't afford to have things lose 50% of their health on a switch-in, even if they have reliable recovery. I honestly tend to avoid anything with a big SR weakness for this reason.

Ah sorry about that. To expand on my point, using Ambipom when Mienshao generally does its job better as a momentum gainer with Fake Out and U-turn. Mienshao also has threatening STAB fighting moves to compliment this combination, namely Hi-Jump-Kick as opposed to Ambipom's Return. Ambipom does at least have some niche as a Nasty Plot passer but I'd rather use Mr. Mime for that role.
No offense or anything, but I think it's another sign if you are actually using fake out on mienshao.

Anyway, sign #4. You let your bulky water type die early. Honestly, I've seen this happen so much on the ladder. People just play their bulky water type too recklessly and it loses a lot of matches. Some people I think forget how important a bulky water type is. Not only will it most likely be your best switch in to things like sharpedo or darm, but it will often also have a very important job such as hazards abusing sweeper like suicune or a spinner like blastoise. Too many times I've just switched in my xatu (or any thing pretty bulky which can take down waters without an obvious type advantage) toxiced it and then just stall it out with a recovery move. In short, keep your bulky waters alive, they will save you.

No offense or anything, but I think it's another sign if you are actually using fake out on mienshao.
What I meant was that if for some reason you needed a Poke with Fake Out + U- turn then Mienshao is a better candidate than Ambipom, not that I was condoning the tactic. With Ambipom, Fake Out is at best a revenge kill on a frail weakened Poke and at worst a free switch into something dangerous like Rhyperior or Cofagrigus. With Mienshao, at least you don't let them switch in something like Rhyperior as you carry the threat of a Hi-Jump-Kick/HP Ice/Grass Knot (you still can't do jack to Cofagrigus though).

I'll stop derailing the thread now though and let everyone else get on with it.

I disagree. Ambipom's fakeout is way better than meinshao's. It's boosted by technician and has stab. Fakeout is what allows ambipom to 2HKO fast frail threats. Because of ambipom's superior speed, it can land the preceding attack much easier than meinshao can. After rocks ambipom can OHKO weavile, azelf, darmanitan, honchkrow, sharpedo, yanmega, meinshao, and zoroark. Meinshao can't do the same, because all of these threats would survive, outspeed and KO, or hit hard with priority. I'm not saying that ambipom is phenomenal or anything, I'm just giving you some perspective on how much better ambipom's fakeout is. Meinshao should never use fakeout, because embarrassingly, ambipom outclasses it in that department. Ambipom is actually really good, I seriously don't get were the hate comes from. It's got amazing speed and decent coverage.

#5 You don't have a good steel type:

Everyone knows how much Dragon, and in turn, Steel, dominates the OU metagame. However, most people dont get that having a good steel in UU is equally important. Its not just to combat the few dragons in the tier, but having a good steel type is nigh essential if you want to succeed, because of the sheer utility they have.

ss234

bop.
You really don't need a steel type in UU to succeed. Bronzong isn't all that great IMo, and there are plenty of answers to Choice Scarf Flygon apart from Bronzong, and even Choice Band Flygon can abuse Bronzong's lack of recovery and beat it in the long term.

Also, about Ambipom and Mienshao-Ambipom is a better Fake Out user than Mienshao. It's much more powerful, thanks to STAB and Technician, and this gets it important KO's. Unless you really need Ambipom's Fake Out though, you probably shouldn't be using it. Cincinno is far superior, thanks to Skill Link, outside of Fake Out.

Sign #6: You're using Dusclops. Dusclops is a horrible pokemon, and does absolutely nothing except stand there, and slowly dying because it lacks reliable recovery. Cofagrigus is much better, thanks to the ability to actually pose some form of offensive threat.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
You really don't need a steel type in UU to succeed. Bronzong isn't all that great IMo, and there are plenty of answers to Choice Scarf Flygon apart from Bronzong, and even Choice Band Flygon can abuse Bronzong's lack of recovery and beat it in the long term.
YES! Never used a steel except occasionally Cobalion and I am still amazingly brilliant as ever. And please use more Bronzongs so I can set up on you with mono attacking Kingdra.

Also, about Ambipom and Mienshao-Ambipom is a better Fake Out user than Mienshao. It's much more powerful, thanks to STAB and Technician, and this gets it important KO's. Unless you really need Ambipom's Fake Out though, you probably shouldn't be using it. Cincinno is far superior, thanks to Skill Link, outside of Fake Out.
YES! Destroying Frolass leads with Beat Up===Fun, Fake Out + Return KO'ing 100% Zapdos===not so weak. Would be more fun if Double Edge was legal with Fake Out.

Sign #6: You're using Dusclops. Dusclops is a horrible pokemon, and does absolutely nothing except stand there, and slowly dying because it lacks reliable recovery. Cofagrigus is much better, thanks to the ability to actually pose some form of offensive threat.
NO! I know using Dusclops on full stall is OK because it has access to Curse which rapes last Pokemon boosters that think they can secure a win condition while still providing utility from 1. spinblocking and 2. countering many threats. Idk if Cofag gets curse too but in any case for a stall team the extra damage he would give out would not be appreciated while the loss of bulk means a harder time with attackers.

How about
Sign #7: Not running a fire resist on your team

Chandelure destroys everything, thus it's valid in the first place. I've also won 4-0 from 4-5 by sacking Blastoise to kill a Chandy, then sending in Darmanitan, who Flare Blitz'd 5 times in a row to win the game.

Sign #8 Spamming fire moves when the other player has a Chandelure on their team.
I'll give an example for this, although this was more of a good prediction on my side than a very obvious fire move.
Today i was playing some random UU battle, and my Bronzong was up against a Honchkrow. I don't know Honchkrow that well, but i did know it aften runs heat wave, so, taking the risk of a dark type move, not nlikely as it hits bronzong neutrally, i switched in my Chandy, got the flash fire bonus, and swept the remaining 5 pokemon on his team, all of which were neutral to fire moves (idiots). This also illustrates the previous point somewhat.

Also, regarding the Ambipom/Mienshao discussion: I've never used a Mienshao so i'm not gonna pass judgment on it or something, but my Ambipom is one of my best and most reliable pokemon, and it stopped many a sweep with it's fakeout, and is a surprisingly good late-game sweeper.

Today i was playing some random UU battle, and my Bronzong was up against a Honchkrow. I don't know Honchkrow that well, but i did know it aften runs heat wave, so, taking the risk of a dark type move, not nlikely as it hits bronzong neutrally, i switched in my Chandy, got the flash fire bonus, and swept the remaining 5 pokemon on his team, all of which were neutral to fire moves (idiots). This also illustrates the previous point somewhat.

honchkrow also commonly carries sucker punch, and unless ur subsplit (in that case i'm not sure how slow ur opponent's team is), chandelure would have easily died to a sucker punch. Just saying.
EDIT: I just saw ur RMT, and ur chandelure is scarfed, so im not really sure why the guy didn't go for sucker punch, unless he was scarf krow?

I'm not sure why he didn't go for the sucker punch, maybe he thought it was too obvious and i'd switch in something (like my ambipom) and wanted to take it down on the switch, or maybe he was just carrying an unconventional move on that crow, also i have no idea if it was scarfed, since it was only in for one turn, used heat wave on my chandelure, and then got owned by fireblast.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
sign #9: not running more than one heracross check.

i think it speaks for itself, but heracross is such a dominant force that if it manages to take out one of its checks (which it will), it will proceed to relentlessly and mercilessly assassinate everything on your team. due to this, i firmly believe that carrying 2 and sometimes 3 hera checks is a must on any decent uu team.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Sign #10: Using Ambipom Seriously

THIS FOR ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF AMBIPOM FOR NU

Mienshao is a better fake out-er due to better movepool NOT BIENG USELESS AFTER A FAKE OUT seriously I mean after fake out has been used all you can do is u- turn your ass out and if the opponent predicts the only thing you can do they an roast you and dent a mon leaving you at a serious disadvantage while mienshao can smash things like gligar and other fake out absorbers with its "meowmix" set and STAB HJK is more powerfull than any stab move exept last resort wich is a horrible set anyway also FAKE OUT IS A FREE TURN TO ANY POKEMON THAT EITHER RESISTSES IT OR IS IMMUNE TO IT while mienshao can smash most mons with hjk like registeel while it can avoid getting 3HKOD by ambipoms low sweep or low kick with enough investment SERIOUSLY USE CINCINNO OR EVEN FREAKING MAGIKARP UU IS A WIDE TEIR!

Sign #10: Using Ambipom Seriously

THIS FOR ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF AMBIPOM FOR NU

Mienshao is a better fake out-er due to better movepool NOT BIENG USELESS AFTER A FAKE OUT seriously I mean after fake out has been used all you can do is u- turn your ass out and if the opponent predicts the only thing you can do they an roast you and dent a mon leaving you at a serious disadvantage while mienshao can smash things like gligar and other fake out absorbers with its "meowmix" set and STAB HJK is more powerfull than any stab move exept last resort wich is a horrible set anyway also FAKE OUT IS A FREE TURN TO ANY POKEMON THAT EITHER RESISTSES IT OR IS IMMUNE TO IT while mienshao can smash most mons with hjk like registeel while it can avoid getting 3HKOD by ambipoms low sweep or low kick with enough investment SERIOUSLY USE CINCINNO OR EVEN FREAKING MAGIKARP UU IS A WIDE TEIR!
Mienshao is not at Fake Out, and frankly scouting is pretty much worse now that you get to see the opponents with Team Preview, Ambipom is very much about prediction, and if your opponent switches an assumed Fake Out resist you use Low Kick or Beat Up to damage them more. Ambipom's speed tier also became more relevant now that Tornadus is in the tier. This is not to say Ambipom is good enough to warrant heavy use, but many of the things you state are plain wrong.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Mienshao is not at Fake Out, and frankly scouting is pretty much worse now that you get to see the opponents with Team Preview, Ambipom is very much about prediction, and if your opponent switches an assumed Fake Out resist you use Low Kick or Beat Up to damage them more. Ambipom's speed tier also became more relevant now that Tornadus is in the tier. This is not to say Ambipom is good enough to warrant heavy use, but many of the things you state are plain wrong.
Ambipom is a one trick pony and what can ambiwhore due to the BOSS of rain priority Bulk Up makes ambipoms hits tickle my point is that AMBIPOM CANT DO SHIT TO 3/4 S OF UU AND IS ONLY GOOD BECAUSE NOOBS THINK IT IS and there are a lot of noobs on pokemon showdown!

Ambipom is a one trick pony and what can ambiwhore due to the BOSS of rain priority Bulk Up makes ambipoms hits tickle my point is that AMBIPOM CANT DO SHIT TO 3/4 S OF UU AND IS ONLY GOOD BECAUSE NOOBS THINK IT IS and there are a lot of noobs on pokemon showdown!
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Ambipom Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tornadus: 142-169 (47.49 - 56.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah, ambipom will always beat tornadus one on one.

#11 You underestimate certain pokemon

People who think ambipom is trash then proceed to send out something like tornadus, clearly do not know what they are doing.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sign #3: You are using no rapid spinner/Xatu + SR weak pokemon
I'm ~15th on the ladder doing exactly this. Depends on how many Pokemon with Rock weaks you have, the general momentum of your team, the role and purpose of the Pokemon, etc.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ugh. This thread has a lot of potential but you guys aren't doing it right. Let's not turn this into a debate over which Pokemon are good and which aren't. In fact, the next time I see am Ambipom-related post, I'm just going to delete it and possibly infract it for derailing the thread.

Posts like fatty's are encouraged. Posts like these are not.

Thank you, Kokoloko, as I was thinking much the same thing.

#12: You assume every Azumarill is Pure Power CB, and ignore the fact that it's doing less damage than it should be.

I only mention this because I was very nearly swept by a innovative Sap Sipper LO set, which I didn't pick up until it sponged my Roserade's Leaf Storm. Beat it because it lacked priority, but it's scary if you mispredict.

#13: You assume every cofagrigus is nasty room.

Some noob on showdown just "assumed" I was running nasty room. I was actually running a stall set, so when he sent out snorlax to sponge my HP fightings (Which I did NOT have) I toxic'd him and then killed the rest of his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)