1. The moderators of this forum are Celticpride, IronBullet, Snowy, and Sun.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

SM OU 1st RMT - Scarf Lele; FlyZ Gyarados

Discussion in 'SM OU Teams' started by BLMD, May 19, 2017.

1. BLMD

BLMD

Pls rate out of 12 Krabbys <3:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Process

PROCESS (open)

[​IMG]
    Originally this was specs Lele and while it hit like a brick, it lacked the speed that this team eventually needed and thus was swapped out for scarf. Which is a much better item (in my opinion) for this 'mon as it allows it to out-speed anything that isn't also scarfed as physic terrain stops any priority moves (bullet punch) from OHKO'ing which I find also catches people off guard who forget about the terrains.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Next I needed something that I could fall back onto to take flash cannons etc from Magearna (and other SpDef walls). I called a favourite of mine who was sadly dropped into UU this gen.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    There's a reason every single team you see in OU runs Lando-T, and that's because it truly is amazing, as long as you don't get caught off guard with many ice moves, Defensive-Lando can win games.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I wanted a Defogger next and who else but Mega-Scizor. I tried Tapu-Fini here but I hated not having the regeneration that roost brings on Scizor.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Moxie, FlyZ, Dance 4Gyarados was just a 'mon I was testing out and I can say that if your opponent allows you to set up this thing can sweep a whole team.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The final place on this team was a hard one to choose, I sort of knew I needed a SpDef wall as my team was very weak to specs Lele. AV Muk honestly changed this team to make it so much better than what it is and it took me so long to realise that it made sense.

Overview

OVERVIEW (open)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tapu Lele
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid
    IVs: 0 Atk
    [​IMG] - Psyshock
    [​IMG] - Moonblast
    [​IMG] - Hidden Power
    [​IMG] - Thunderbolt

The main sweeper of this team, Max speed to make sure I can outspeed as many other scarf users as possible just in case. Psyshock is my main STAB and can hit SpDef walls, but on more physically defensive pokemon I'd rather go moonblast. HP fire hits Ferrothorn and scizor which like to switch in expecting psyshock or moonblast. I run tbolt over focus-blast as it gives better sweeping coverage on celesteela and water types like toxapex.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Amoonguss
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD
    Impish
    [​IMG] - Spore
    [​IMG] - Hidden Power
    [​IMG] - Clear Smog
    [​IMG] - Giga Drain

Amoonguss has great synergy with Gyarados after sporing I'll hard switch if I don't expect him to switch out. Then Dragon dance with Gyarados but only when I'm going for game. Regenerator means this thing shouldn't be scared to take a bit of damage before I can bring it back in. HP fire allows me to catch grass types that would switch in on the spore. Clear smog is really useful and means I can shutdown anything that wants to setup. Giga drain is just a STAB attacking move.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Landorus-Therian
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
    Impish
    [​IMG] - Stealth Rock
    [​IMG] - Earthquake
    [​IMG] - Hidden Power
    [​IMG] - U-turn

Not much to say about Physically defensive lando. The ground immunity is solid and I'll switch out on anything that could be running an ice move. I'd also rather U-turn expecting a switch than spam EQ as my opponent goes into their ground type. I run rocky helmet as it genuinely helps and can put some 'mons into that critical range.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Scizor-Mega
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish
    [​IMG] - Defog
    [​IMG] - Bullet Punch
    [​IMG] - U-turn
    [​IMG] - Roost

Defog Scizor is great as it absolutely eats moves. Bringing it in is difficult as you never know when a random HP fire will come out but usually I can come in on Landorus safely getting a defog and then again I'd rather U-turn than spam BP as It gives good momentum on switches, unless I know he doesn't have a BP switc. Also be careful that psychic-terrain isn't active as I've been caught so many times with my own terrain shutting me down. :///

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gyarados
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly
    [​IMG] - Bounce
    [​IMG] - Dragon Dance
    [​IMG] - Earthquake
    [​IMG] - Waterfall

This thing can easily set up on pokemon that HAVE to switch out on it or if they're asleep via 'moonguss. 1 dragon dance is all it takes for some teams after getting the moxie boost. Anything you don't hit with waterfall or EQ you usually can with Supersonic Skystrike. But this generally has good coverage and can sweep entire teams.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Muk-Alola
    Ability: Poison Touch
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant
    [​IMG] - Poison Jab
    [​IMG] - Knock Off
    [​IMG] - Shadow Sneak
    [​IMG] - Pursuit

Muk absorbs so many SpAtk moves, usually any physical attacker will want to switch out so pursuit can get good chip damage. The Atk EVs help to do some serious damage. generally knock off is there to scout Zcrystals/megastones poison touch can also win games too. Just be careful not to use shadow sneak while terrain is up.​

I don't save really save replays but I have one where everyone puts in bit of work
    REPLAY (open)

Importable
    IMPORTABLE (open)

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Spore
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Clear Smog
    - Giga Drain

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Moonblast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Defog
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Roost

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
    Jolly Nature
    - Bounce
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Knock Off
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Pursuit

Thanks for reading this low quality RMT, any suggestions are appreciated, good or bad <3

2. Amoonguss

Amoonguss champagne papi

hey cool team, i really like your idea of flynium z gyarados. stall is very troublesome for this team as you have very few ways of actually breaking it besides gyarados but that is having a hard time setting up since it can just get toxiced / burned and stalled out by the unaware mon. zardy is also another huge threat to this team since it literally gets a kill every time it comes in, and can kill gyarados granted its taken some chip dmg, usually from stealth rock. same goes for volcarona, but thats kinda more manageable since it doesn't have the immediate breaking power that zardy has, and gyara can switchin at least once and prevent it from sweeping. with this being said, here are my suggested changes.

firstly to help deal with stall i would change your lele set to the standard stallbreaking set. this gives you a v good way of breaking stall coupled with gyarados. its usually v hard for stall to deal with lele since its forced to sack a mon and then do 35% with dugtrio pursuit. while this set doesn't break stall on its own, it definitely paves a path for your gyarados to do work. the main downside of this change is you lose your speed control, and greninja counter. however, with my next changes you are fine regarding speed control. sets timid moonblast/hpfire/psyshock/taunt, timids for offensive landot

next i suggest using scarfchomp over landot. scarfchomp gives you a check to both zardy and volcarona, as it can easily switchin and pressure with either eq or dragon claw respectively. usually zardy isnt staying in, and if you expect them to do outrage is fine. the reason im not mentioning rock slide is because i think scarf rockschomp works. this is a set my friend blarghlfarghl showed me and it surprisingly works (considering it peaked #1 on ladder). garchomp already pressures both zardy and volcarona enough and even tdks famous balance doesnt use rock slide so i dont think its 100% needed. this also gives u the needed speed control for koko, and greninja both of which were huge threats. however this gives you a less reliable answer to zygarde and it gets rid of one of your main defensive pivots, so i have one final change. sets gonna be eq/outrage/rocks/dclaw.

tangrowth over amoonguss works really nicely here. tangrowth is one of the best zygarde switchins in the game as it takes very little from tarrows, and it doesnt take all too much from outrage meaning you can usually send it in and then go lele or w.e to pressure. there aren't many downsides besides the fact that you lose out on a spore mon but thats not too big of a deal since gyarados doesnt need the spore to setup usually, especially vs fatter teams. the av set is preferred here to help deal with tapu koko, a set of giga drain / eq / knock off / hp ice is fine, and max hp max spdef is the usual spread.
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  3. Anish

Anish formerly AnishSomani
    is an official Team Rater

hey,

wishiwasasexhaver recently rated ur team, and i like his rate - although it was slightly weak to mawile mega and off lando t -but i wanted to give you an option in which you would maintain scarf lele, which you said this team was built around, and which eases the matchup versus pokemon like tapu lele. he has already shed light on some of the largest threats to this team. some other annoying pokemon are celesteela , which is capable of dealing with every pokemon bar gyarados, which still lacks taunt or substitute to prevent leech seed and well played sticky webs teams , which can also be annoying since pinsir wins after a sd and ur only counterplay is defogging webs , which they can prevent you from doing. heatran is also annoying for this team, though, since it can heavily punish a lot of memebrs of this team, and then eventually break past it, since gyara and lando are your only checks, which are both fairly soft.

[​IMG] >[​IMG] id like to recommend spikes ferrothorn > amoonguss. spikes ferrothorn really aids scarf lele, since it give it the capability to wear down lele checks like magearna and muk alola, as well as ferrothorn, and allows it to perform its best role , as a cleaner. this suggestion would still maintain a check to pokemon like tapu koko and greninja. this change does make keldeo more annoying for this team to face , which does hurt, and something i will look at easing later on in this rate, however you can note that keld can only come in on lando in this team, and since it often doesn't carry hp electric it sometimes does struggle to break past gyarados reliably, but it does have the capability of scald burning you sadly. protect ferrothorn can also scout for a move keld would lock itself into. otr / shift gear magearna is also more threatening, but ferrothorn can still soft check it and weaken it down with spikes or stall out tr turns with protect.

[​IMG] >[​IMG] u could run taunt mago berry tapu koko>scizor mega. with the addition of spikes , having a defogger is somewhat counterintuitive , since it means that you remove your spikes . instead taunt koko with a mago berry can annoy stall, act as a soft check to keldeo , helps with celesteela and mega pinsir and act as a pivot to get gyara in on grasses. it also punishes smeargle leads in webs teams. the spread i would suggest has spd investment for magearna flash cannon and for scarf Keldeo pump, outspeeds weavile since that's fairly annoying to this team, and has the rest of its evs into spa. koko also eases the mu vs non earthquake gyarados and helps with 3 attack defensive zapdos, which can also be fairly annoying to this team. it also slightly eases the heatran matchup. this change does have 2 major downsides , namely the weakness to offensive grounds and loss of removal for gyarados. the combination of defensive lando t + scarf lele can help w off lando and zygarde,though you do have to be careful to not let lando get worn down and to keep it healthy and u have to play carefully vs groundspam teams which can wear lando down because of this. the loss of defog also sucks, but imo defog isn't 100% necessary, because u have spikes to pressure your opponent to defog, and while gyarados is rocks weak, it can still perform somewhat effectively after rocks damage. another downside of this change is that it removes a steel, again making the magearna matchup harder, though koko can always get some chip damage on magearna through nm.

• i would also recommend running psychic > psyshock on lele, and focus blast > thunderbolt. focus blast can hit heatran which is pretty annoying to this team. psychic hits pokemon like lando t harder and has a 60% chance to kill offensive sets after rocks . while this does replace thunderbolt, thunderbolt doesnt hit too much, and still does fairly little to celesteela, while psyshock doesn't really do that much damage to chansey to be worth it imo, especially with more chanseys running max hp/max defense. an optional change is also to run a modest nature on lele to help with sitrus zygarde, and a better chance to kill bish after lo recoil/one spike and doing more to lando t, guaranteeing the kill after rocks and having an approximately 45% chance to kill it after rocks, while also having a greater damage output , but it does mean scarf lando gets more threatening if ur modest lele since it can hp ice your lando, however ferrothorn can still scout for what move it locks itself into, and use leech + protect for recovery. dd zygarde can also be annoying since now you have to win a speed tie with lele or take massive damage on lando to check it too though, especially if zygarde is dragonium.

• next off i would like to suggest rock slide muk alola with 16 spd for tapu lele. rock slide let's it check volcarona and zard y. you would have to remove shadow sneak, and the loss of prio can be annoying at times but rock slide is just a nice coverage move over here.
    importable (open)

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
    Timid/Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Moonblast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Focus Blast

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
    Jolly Nature
    - Bounce
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Knock Off
    - Rock Slide
    - Pursuit

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip

Tapu Koko @ Mago Berry
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 SpA / 12 SpD / 216 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - U-turn
    - Taunt
    - Nature's Madness
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Eden., IronBullet, do not ask and 2 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)