1st Steps into Kalos

Welcome to my first 6th gen competitive team
I would like to start this off by saying I am fairly new to posting on Smogon but by no means a new player or even new to Smogon for that matter. I got into competitive Pokémon at the start of 5th gen and have been playing competitively since. With that said lets get to the team.
Since I began my Pokémon journey Scizor had always been my second favorite Pokémon (I'll let you guess my favorite). He had that sleek design, cool typing, and when 4th gen came he rose to be King of OU and has held his throne since. So when 6th gen came my way and I heard this monster could mega-evolve, as if that was even necessary, I knew what must be done.
I have had great success with this team. They have incredible synergy and can always pick up the slack of a lost member. They are very flexible in what they can do and are well equipped to deal with this fast-paced meta. This is easily one of my favorite teams out of those I have created.

Trevenant Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 ATK
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Curse
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Lets take a moment to appreciate the fact that the Ents from Lord of the Rings have made their way into the Pokémon world.... Wasn't that nice. Ok so onto this bad-ass. Trevenant works as my physical defender with a trick up his sleeve. He can deal with many old and new physical threats from Breloom and Landorus to Mega- Kangaskhan and Diggersby. He has above average bulk sporting 85/76/82 defenses but his typing is what truly allows him to excel on this team.
Aside from being my teams physical girth he serves as a great spinblocker being able to deal with every spinner in OU although Starmie will give him problems if he does not harvest his berry.
The first move on this set may be a little unorthodox but allow me to explain. In an unfortunate circumstance, Trevenant may not harvest his berry at the most crucial of moments. Not only does Phantom Force give Trev a safe turn to possibly Harvest and wrack up leech seed recovery, but alongside hazards it puts the opponent between a rock and a Hard place. If they switch they land on the very hazards Trev is protecting, while also getting smashed by Phantom Force. But if they stay in with someone like Starmie, they just lost their Spinner.
As anyone who has seen Exeggutor last gen is well aware of how effective sub/seed plus harvest/sitrus is, I am going to skip to my favorite part of this set... Curse. Let me start off to say that Curse bypasses everything. Substitute, Protect, Magic Bounce, If I use Curse it WILL land on the opponent. But as we all know, this move has the nasty side effect of losing half your health. However, Trevenant can use Curse gain back 25% of his HP with the Sitrus Berry then Harvest the berry at the end of the turn and use it again. Essentially, Trevenant can use Curse at no cost. Alongside hazards its easy to see the chaos this can cause for the opponent.
Trevenant forms the first half of my teams defensive core alongside the monster we know as...

Tyranitar

Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/ 220 S.DEF/ 36 ATK
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Fire Blast

Tyranitar provides the greatest support to my team. He serves as my Rock Setter/Trapper/Weather Setter and finally Forms the second half of my core being the special defensive wall of the team. The EVs in attack and the Brave nature provide Tyranitar with more of an offensive presence while the rest of the EVs are given for bulk.
After Stealth Rocks, Pursuit is the most vital move on this set. It allows Tyranitar to eradicate foes that would cause problems for his team mates, specifically Trevenant. Often times I will have Trevenant predict a switch to a counter such as Talonflame and use curse. I will then switch to Tyranitar who utterly walls the bird. Now the Talonflame is literally in a checkmate situation. If it switches out it will die to Pursuit, but if it stays in it will still get hit by pursuit and then the curse and sandstorm. Then when Talonflame is gone Trevenant can further wall the opponents team having lost their best answer to him.
The synergy between my two walls really allows me to keep pressure on the opponent rarely giving the opponent opportunity to set up with the threat of a powerful stone edge or a curse to be set. They can eradicate each others counters allowing them to perform their roles more efficiently and create almost a snowball effect of their ability to wall the opponents team.
While Tyranitar and Trevenant are best buds in the 6th gen meta, Tyranitar has an old friend who has returned to Overused High.
Excadrill has joined the battle!

Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 ATK/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This thing is insane. This is the sole reason I run Smooth Rock on Tyranitar. If Excadrill is given the time and opportunity he will decimate the opponents team. After the weather nerf I was certain this monster would pay OU a visit and here he is. This aggressive mole has changed only in the amount of time he has to sweep. However, Smooth Rock provides 8 turns of sand. You can only have 6 pokemon :p.
On my team Excadrill serves as a spinner first, sweeper second. Granted if I see an opportunity to sweep before spinning has been performed, believe me I am going to take it. Excadrill can destroy most of the common OU spinblockers after a boost and all of them if he runs Shadow Claw, although I prefer the coverage Rock Slide provides. The Adamant nature is to provide more immediate power while the Lum Berry protects him from burns. It also provides a fun bonus of punishing trainers who try to bring Klefki to Excadrill's turf and give him a free swagger boost.
Ok Halfway through next up is...
Greninja

Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SPD/ 252 S.ATK/ 4 ATK
Hasty Nature
- U Turn
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

I love this guy. He is easily the best of the Kalos starters both in design (IMO) and in competitive value. To be honest, its ironic that I like him so much. When the starters were first revealed in February I was CERTAIN I would be choosing Chespin. Just look at that face. I thought Fennekin was pretty cute too and I thought it would evolve into a large quadraped wolf-like fox. But when I saw Froakie I thought, meh he's alright. Not bad but nothing special. Then the starter evolutions were released. I cannot describe to you how utterly disappointed I was when I saw Quiladin. Frogadier was the only 2nd evo I actually liked (although Braixen grew on me). I tried to convince myself Quiladin would pull a Prinplup and become bad-ass, and I probably would have chosen him too if it weren't for the leaks a week prior to the game's release. My reaction towards Chesnaught was the same as my initial reaction to Froakie, Delphox was a bit disappointing but I never planned on choosing it anyway, but this guy. This guy right here. I thought he was the weirdest pokemon I had ever seen. I loved it. So when I got the game I chose Froakie, he grew on me through poke-amie, and the rest is history.
Now sorry about that but I felt he deserved a backstory. On to his role on the team.
Greninja serves as my speedy spiker and as well as revenge killer when needed. What really got him a spot on my team (other than the previous paragraph) was that ability though. It is so fun. I love chuckling when Greninja uses spikes on a Rotom-W as it uses Volt Switch. Then using U-Turn as it switches (revealing a specs) or stays in for the Hydro Pump, either way losing momentum. Greninja really lives up to his name on my team, often spiking then running or swiftly finishing the opponent. The spikes he provides is an essential part of my teams strategy and can cause some much needed KO's.
The next Pokémon is best friend to the steel titan Scizor. Hehe I think we know what household appliance I am talking about.
Rotom-W

woops sorry

Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 S.ATK/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

I love using this guy alongside Scizor, no need I'm sure to explain their infamous synergy. While I have always used Rotom-w during my time as a competitive player I have never used this set. My favorite battle style is bulky offense and as such I have always run a bulkier Rotom set usually consisting of Pain Split or Rest. Seeing as how Pokebank has not been released however I cannot run Pain-Split and do not have the cleric or the patience to support rest. So I thought I would give this set a try,especially after I got lucky and got an hp ice rotom in game when I built this team. This set did not disappoint. Rotom-W gets so many free or safe switches, through abusing his typing or coming in after Scizor's slow U-Turn, to abuse the raw power the specs provides. Rotom-W can muscle through many Pokémon he otherwise couldn't when he wields Choice Specs. While the lack of bulk is noticed, the power truly makes up for it. Through pure power or tricking the opponent Rotom can cripple important members of the opponents team punching holes for Excadrill and Scizor to take advantage of.
Alright. Finally the new and improved
Scizor

Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 ATK/ 8 S.DEF
- U Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost

Now I know what you are thinking. All of this hype and I am not even running a sweeper. Just regular support Scizor. Not even a different EV spread. I can explain. The reason its not Swords Dance Scizor is because without pokebank I do not have access to Bug bite or Superpower the most vital moves to the set. So I am going to have to wait till I can transfer my old Scizor. As for the EV spread I have experimented with max def investment as well as max s.def investment. The Defensive Spread was literally bulkier than Forretress. That thing was a WALL. But It had a severe lack of power. The defensive spread was a nice tank but it had similar problems. I was frustrated at this things lack of power when I realized something. I don't have to run defensive investment to deal with threats because mega Scizor is naturally bulkier than Scizor. It would be the equivalent of running bulky Life orb or banded Scizor but at the cost of some power. Only difference is Scizor is no longer shackled by his item and doesn't have to create a strange EV spread. So I switched to this spread and was greatly satisfied that my theory was true.
This guy is amazing. As I said it functions just like the old Scizor just with a slight power loss in turn for significant bulk and lack of reliance on his item. Scizor can take advantage of Trevenant's Curse and pursue its opponents, use U-turn to build momentum for the team, and pick off pokemon weakened by hazards and sandstorm with Bullet Punch. All while maintaining its health through Roost. There could not be a better commander for this team.

So I am finally done with this. I am open to any changes that should be made to this even as far as changing some members if provided with sufficient reason to do so. Thanks for reading and see ya next time.

"The Crew"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)